ADVERTISEMENT

Foul up 3

You don’t foul up 3 unless there’s 5 seconds or less. Not 16
Bull. MSU’s big man had the ball. They should have fouled him as soon as he reached halfcourt.

It sure as hell didn’t hurt Gonzaga fouling us. It wasn’t under 5 seconds there. MSU had scored only like 4 straight possessions. 3 of which were 3’s. There’s no way in hell you let them get a shot off.. Make them hit the FT’s and then get it in to Reed or Reeves. I’d be willing to bet they hit their FT’s over MSU hitting their FT’s.

Had Reed missed that last shot I have no doubt we lose in OT.

Never? Against bad ft shooting team I think you consider, 95 percent of the time you play it out, state falls into that 5 percent, Kentucky maybe could of fouled 12 the foward before he passed to Hubbard and make him hit 2 FTs
You won’t find a single coach at any level that would agree with your logic!

If you’re ahead with that much time your objective is to reduce possessions. If you’re behind your goal is to increase possessions. Your scenario aids the team that’s behind by creating more possessions.

Reactions: permdaddy
According to KenPom and others, not fouling is ever so slightly statistically better than fouling when up three late in the game.

Like most of you, I would prefer to see us do it whenever there are less than seven seconds left and we are up three.

Choosing not to do so isn't really a stupid decision though -- at least not from a statistical standpoint.
Technically correct. Which is, as the saying goes, the best form of correct. It's basically 50-50. The idea that you'd pop a cerebral artery over choosing one or the other is nuts.

You won’t find a single coach at any level that would agree with your logic!

If you’re ahead with that much time your objective is to reduce possessions. If you’re behind your goal is to increase possessions. Your scenario aids the team that’s behind by creating more possessions.
The state hit the shot with 8 seconds left and got the ball with like 12 seconds left, so it’s walking the line of being to early. State is the type of team you consider the gamble against, especially for calipari who has gotten burned so many times by this exact scenario

He let his stupidity of not fouling literally cost him a national title. If he’s not smart enough to learn from that then he never will. It was infuriating that he blew the UF game and was even more infuriating that he did it again tonight after just getting beat from it a couple weeks ago. He just got lucky that Reed bailed him out.

He should have to walk to Lexington.

LOL Seriously?? Talk about stupidity! The object is to WIN the game and guess what? We won!

Rule of Thumb is to foul 5second and under
Normally yes, to me it’s more the team tonight, state is the team you atleast consider the gamble against, Hubbard was turning into Jesus Christ himself and you got burned by him hitting a shot(ridiculous shot by the way) but still you atleast consider it against state

Normally yes, to me it’s more the team tonight, state is the team you atleast consider the gamble against, Hubbard was turning into Jesus Christ himself and you got burned by him hitting a shot(ridiculous shot by the way) but still you atleast consider it against state

UK is on the road playing 5 on 8 and you seriously want to foul? Did you see Z get mugged near the basket and complain to the refs about it? That is just one reason I don't want the game to be in the hands of the officials.

The state hit the shot with 8 seconds left and got the ball with like 12 seconds left, so it’s walking the line of being to early. State is the type of team you consider the gamble against, especially for calipari who has gotten burned so many times by this exact scenario
This will be my last post on the topic. Your scenario is only way UK potentially gets beat in REGULATION.

If we fouled MSU with 8+ seconds then here are scenarios. MSU goes 1 for 2 from the line. They are big and physical. The possibility of them gettin the rebound is much higher. They score off of rebound and it’s game over with MSU scoring in regulation.

Cal is forced to put in best rebounders. This, if we rebound then we likely have Thiero, Ugo, or someone else shooting the ft. Again, MSU has the advantage.

I AM an advocate of fouling if 5 or less seconds. (Fla) I don’t know anyone who fouls intentionally with 10 + seconds. You can’t wait to foul after shooter gets into motion or he gets 3 FT’s. So, in this scenario it was foul their big man with 10-12 secs or let it play out.

The bigger head scratcher was letting Hubbard dribble straight into a 3 pointer with about 25-30 secs without running him off the line. We were up 7 with 30 secs and just about gave it away.

Huge win on the road and I thought Z grew up and didn’t let them shove him around around the goal. He impacted the game w/o scoring much. His presence opens the lane wide open for everyone else.

Peace!

UK is on the road playing 5 on 8 and you seriously want to foul? Did you see Z get mugged near the basket and complain to the refs about it? That is just one reason I don't want the game to be in the hands of the officials.
If it involves a bad ft shooting team with 3 bad shooters on the floor, yes I consider it

This will be my last post on the topic. Your scenario is only way UK potentially gets beat in REGULATION.

If we fouled MSU with 8+ seconds then here are scenarios. MSU goes 1 for 2 from the line. They are big and physical. The possibility of them gettin the rebound is much higher. They score off of rebound and it’s game over with MSU scoring in regulation.

Cal is forced to put in best rebounders. This, if we rebound then we likely have Thiero, Ugo, or someone else shooting the ft. Again, MSU has the advantage.

I AM an advocate of fouling if 5 or less seconds. (Fla) I don’t know anyone who fouls intentionally with 10 + seconds. You can’t wait to foul after shooter gets into motion or he gets 3 FT’s. So, in this scenario it was foul their big man with 10-12 secs or let it play out.

The bigger head scratcher was letting Hubbard dribble straight into a 3 pointer with about 25-30 secs without running him off the line. We were up 7 with 30 secs and just about gave it away.

Huge win on the road and I thought Z grew up and didn’t let them shove him around around the goal. He impacted the game w/o scoring much. His presence opens the lane wide open for everyone else.

Peace!
And if you do what cal did you could still lose, it’s a tough decision to make, I agree with 95 percent of the time. My point is just with bad ft shooting teams you consider it, especially since you blew a home game you should have won because of it

Peace!

I would add that fouling on the road with officials who have allowed MSU to foul without being called is not smart either. Remember that Tennessee game way back when? That was during the Hall days when we had a good enough lead in the final seconds but a series of blunders and no calls, etc cost us the game.

Reactions: bballcat4
In this instance where it’s like 100th time during his tenure where he got burned by not fouling up 3 then I don’t know if he will ever foul up 3. You play the foul game and force state who isn’t a great foul shooting team to hit FTs
Too much time on the clock, the Little guy wasn't missing tho

I lost my mind and talked mad $hit about Cal for not fouling up 3 vs Florida.

I would have lost my mind and talked mad $hit about Cal for fouling up 3 vs MSU. Not fouling up 3 was the right move. There was too much time.

I thought we could have done better on defense, but they also hit some tough shots. I thought the pull up 3 Hubbard hit over Reed was actually pretty well defended. Reed should have picked him up sooner.

I wish Ugo had stepped out more on that last 3. But...that was a 26 footer coming off a screen. Helluva a shot.

Reactions: bballcat4
I've said it many times but it's a lot easier to hit ONE 3 pointer, even if contested, than it is to hit the first free throw, miss the 2nd intentionally, get the rebound, and then score. Not even close in level
of difficulty.

Bull. MSU’s big man had the ball. They should have fouled him as soon as he reached halfcourt.

It sure as hell didn’t hurt Gonzaga fouling us. It wasn’t under 5 seconds there. MSU had scored only like 4 straight possessions. 3 of which were 3’s. There’s no way in hell you let them get a shot off.. Make them hit the FT’s and then get it in to Reed or Reeves. I’d be willing to bet they hit their FT’s over MSU hitting their FT’s.

Had Reed missed that last shot I have no doubt we lose in OT.
Gonzaga fouled with 4 seconds left.

Reactions: permdaddy
He let his stupidity of not fouling literally cost him a national title. If he’s not smart enough to learn from that then he never will. It was infuriating that he blew the UF game and was even more infuriating that he did it again tonight after just getting beat from it a couple weeks ago. He just got lucky that Reed bailed him out.

He should have to walk to Lexington.
2 different scenarios. In the Florida game, there were 5-6 seconds left when Clayton got a wide open look from 3 after getting his man in the air off a pump fake. Should have fouled considering the time left on the clock. Tonight, Hubbard hit a contested, off balance 3 from beyond NBA range with 10 seconds left. Should have tried to deny him the ball better down the stretch, but Cal played it right tonight giving the time left on the clock.

When he shot it I think there was 12 seconds left, normally I agree but state is the team I think you gamble with it. They have some bad FTs shooters
Their two bigs (smith and bell) were the only one to kiss Free throws tonight going 3-7 other than Hubbard who was 5-6. Neither of them were touching the ball so not as easy to foul them and the refs aren’t going to be calling a foul away from the ball there so could only really foul the ball, not a good play with over 10 seconds to go. Hubbard hit a ridiculous shot to tie it up but we still had .08 to go which we made work. 5 seconds less foul the way to go but regardless I don’t think cal will ever foul there especially with this team, doesn’t trust their rebounding enough.

In this instance where it’s like 100th time during his tenure where he got burned by not fouling up 3 then I don’t know if he will ever foul up 3. You play the foul game and force state who isn’t a great foul shooting team to hit FTs
With 16 seconds to go? When y’all get stuck on a gripe common sense goes completely out the window.

Yes, especially when we have "closers" hitting foul shots like they do. How many times does he have to get burned? But.......whew! We won a HUGE game, one of the very best road wins in our history, considering the season and overall circumstances. Love it when we win. Season changing. Season enhancing.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
I wasnt mad about not fouling. I was mad about the one guy you told not to foul (Onyenso) letting him get that shot off.

I was explaining to my son why I would foul and boooom! He nails a 3. But I do see the argument of too much time on the clock.

With that much time when dude shot it I don't like it.

State made the 3 to tie with 8.1 seconds left. I say **** it, and foul them before they get the shot off, at this point. Under 10 seconds, just start fouling. We are a great free-throw shooting team, with great guards. Let's trade free-throws.

100% correct not fouling. You won't find many coaches at any level that would foul up 3 with 15 seconds left . Way too much time left to take that chance.

Again people, when the shot was made, there was 8.1 seconds left.

I watched the game, don't care about the box score. Maybe he shot it with 11 seconds left. After State hit the 3, there was 8.1 seconds left.
Think about what you just said. You can't foul him after the shot. You have to foul a couple seconds before the shot or you risk a 3 and 1 or 3 free throws.

Reactions: crawfords corner
Think about what you just said. You can't foul him after the shot. You have to foul a couple seconds before the shot or you risk a 3 and 1 or 3 free throws.

Think about what exactly? He hit the 3, to tie the the game, with 8.1 seconds left. It happened. Go find a replay, and stop looking at stats. I'd foul before the shot ever got up. That's me, said the shit in the game thread before it even happened. Glad we won, though.

The rule is only to foul up 3 with less than 8-9 seconds. You don't foul up three with nearly 17 left. Recipe for disaster, especially with the way Hubbard was circus shooting tonight.
The guy took the shot with 10 seconds left. Definitely should have fouled on the handoff right before the shot!!

Yeah I asked my high school coach and he said it’s worth a discussion with a team like state but he said I’m wrong and you play it out and play the chances.

I could not remember the specifics about when to foul and when not to foul until I read this thread. Another crazy example from back in the day was when UK played UNC in an NCAA tournament game. UNC, under Dean S-myth, went to the 4 corners with a ton of time left in the game. Hall elected to foul them to get the ball back but they hit the FT's and we ultimately lost.

I guess my point is that intentional fouling will always be a part of the game and it can work to perfection at times and sometimes blow up in your face. As for last night, you are 100% correct that MSU is a horrible FT shooting team so it may very well have been a better strategy but I guess we will never know for sure!

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
I'd have token pressure to take up some time off the clock until half court then foul. I'd do everything I could to deny Hubbard the ball, double team him, force the ball out of his hands, make someone else to beat you if you aren't going to foul. He'd been lighting it up all night, make someone else take the shot if you're not going to foul.

Reactions: saxonburgcat
With that much time when dude shot it I don't like it.
Agree. I'm a foul to avoid a three kind of guy only when there's 5 or 6 seconds or less to play where the other guys have to burn half of that just bringing into front court and this is the only chance they have. If you foul when there's too much time you just end up having to do it again anyway.

For instance if you foul at 10 seconds left, they hit both free throws cutting it to one, they foul us immediately and we have to walk to the other end and make both of ours then go through this all over again. Your maximizing their chances not ours.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT