ADVERTISEMENT

Formula 1

Other drivers also did the same tire/pit strategy and passed. The difference, Russell and Mercedes made changes to the car to revert to older parts. This along with the tires, fuel and everything else likely dropped them under the weight limit.

Yup. And you don’t see anyone at MB bitching about it. They made a mistake, Toto admitted it.

If one stop is in the cards, don’t send the car out so tight on weight. It’s 100% on Mercedes.

Reactions: I am stupid
Yeah, I find the "end of race car weight" thing a little difficult to wrap my head around, since they are weighed at the beginning of the race. I'm not sure how you could reduce the weight of the card "in race", so it really doesn't make much sense. But they're pretty strict about it. If the fact that Russell was able to finish the race on two sets of tires, through skill, and therefore lost 3 pounds of rubber combined over the 4 tyres then well, it DOES seem like a silly rule.

Why not weigh the cars, before and after, with an empty fuel tank and no tyres?
During the early 80’s, some teams ran extra large water tanks and would dump water during the race to reduce the weight of the car. They said it was to cool the brakes, but it was really about reducing weight during the race and the FIA eventually banned it.

In terms of weighing the cars without tires, I’m not sure if that’s practical. Especially after the race when teams are often scrambling to pack everything up for the next race. You’d need a weighbridge capable of lifting the car and the teams would have to bring all of their wheel guns down to parc ferme. Just seems like a lot to do to be able to weigh just the chassis.

Post race weighing process may not be perfect, but I think it’s probably the best option. It’s not like we’ve had this issue pop up a lot.

Agree with you on Russell though. It was a very impressive performance. Sucks it ended like this, but weight limits are one of those rules that have to be black and white.

Mercedes-AMG Petronas to unveil tyre modifications after the Summer Break....

tyres2.jpg

I remember a few years ago that Red Bull narrowly avoided the same fate. I think it was Vettel that crossed the finish line and was instantly told to shut the engine off and coast down through the tire kleg. It’s a penalty to shut a car down on track but RB avoided that by claiming technical problems with their telemetry, even though it was obviously for weight and fuel sample. I’m surprised Merc didn’t try the same thing and risk a lesser penalty.

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, cars have to make weight before and after the race because F1 teams were figuring out ways to add sacrificial weight to the cars for the pre race weigh in, and then dumping it somewhere during the race, and if a car/driver, through whatever circumstance (even if they were NOT cheating), like running their tyres down enough where they didn't have enough rubber left on them to stay within the guidelines of the post race weigh in, that's tough titty, because w/o those guidelines, the F1 teams WOULD cheat their asses off. Is that about the size of it?

If so, I can live with that.

(some of you all are clearly more informed about the nuances of F1 than I am, and I have no problem admitting that)

Last edited:
So, if I'm understanding this correctly, cars have to make weight before and after the race because F1 teams were figuring out ways to add sacrificial weight to the cars for the pre race weigh in, and then dumping it somewhere during the race, and if a car/driver, through whatever circumstance (even if they were NOT cheating), like running their tyres down enough where they didn't have enough rubber left on them to stay within the guidelines of the post race weigh in, that's tough titty, because w/o those guidelines, the F1 teams WOULD cheat their asses off. Is that about the size of it?

If so, I can live with that.

(some of you all are clearly more informed about the nuances of F1, and I have no problem admitting that)

This is an excellent way to put it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT