ADVERTISEMENT

Forgiving Student Loans

a lot of schools won't let you use AP credit for courses that are required for your major, though. AP is rarely gonna get you out of college a semester early or anything like that

Depends on the school but there's no reason to not be able to go in with the basics covered such as English, lower level math and science. No, if you're a Chemistry major, that high school chemistry class isnt going to count, but Calculus usually knocks out 5 hrs and counts.

Depends on the school but there's no reason to not be able to go in with the basics covered such as English, lower level math and science. No, if you're a Chemistry major, that high school chemistry class isnt going to count, but Calculus usually knocks out 5 hrs and counts.
right, but most students are paying by the semester, not by the credit hour. it's pretty damn difficult to get a degree in a useful field without being there at least 8 semesters with or without AP.

I'm still a strong proponent of AP courses because they improve students' readiness for real college courses. They're not a money-saving scheme though, IMO.

Another problem is that boomers went to school with tuition costs subsidized by the tax payer and are now doing everything in their power (like voting in politicians like Bevin) to minimize that burden on themselves. But they'll be good damned if somebody mentioned tax cuts to senior entitlement programs.
(yes, another boomer rant).
Subsidies are actually higher now than they've ever been.

Should probably look into transferring to a school where they will count like the BCTC/UK setup.
Hindsight 20/20. Remember the big fallout from all the community colleges and the ties with UK. It messed a lot of people up.

Also if your major is set up a certain way at a four year school you still will be backtracking. freshman courses are set up as introductory classes for your field of study. I've seen it a 100 times. College junior from a CC taking freshman level courses and filling in hours with stupid classes because they had already taken general ED classes at CC

Reactions: DaBossIsBack
Too many fools who have no business going to college are going to college. We need more people with knowledge of skilled trades in our country, from carpenters to computer techs. I've never seen a job description looking for a philosophy major.

I don't know, $5000 up front plus $500 a night, cash, plus all medical expenses doesn't sound bad for a philosophy major, job description aside.

Reactions: augustaky1
This is probably what pisses me off the most. When I hear someone get degrees in things like Chicano Studies, American Studies, African American Studies and Philosophy, I think..."WTF are you going to do with that degree other then come back and teach that BS to other suckers?"
Any numbers to back this up? I would think that the amount of philosophy majors is considerably low compared to say biology majors. Just seems a little short sighted.

right, but most students are paying by the semester, not by the credit hour. it's pretty damn difficult to get a degree in a useful field without being there at least 8 semesters with or without AP.

I'm still a strong proponent of AP courses because they improve students' readiness for real college courses. They're not a money-saving scheme though, IMO.

Then they're looking at it incorrectly. I'm not advocating going and taking every AP class. But if you pick up a few hours here and a few hours there that you know you can carry forward, then over the time it takes to get your degree, you can end up getting done a semester or two early. I missed 3 semesters due to co-oping and still graduated on schedule due to how I stacked my classes and having a few credits coming in and I didn't take summer school. Early in college, what it allows you to do is take another class in a slot that would have normally been taken by that course you covered with AP. You have to know which classes you can pull forward.

Also, most degrees are 120-130 hours unless you're in engineering. Most people don't even take 15 hours per semester which leads to them being in school longer. If you're 18-22 years old with no other responsibilities, suck it up and take 18 hours a few semesters. I suffered through an 18-hour and a 21-hour semester so I could get done on time. The 21-hour semester, I took a couple of courses in my major and then loaded it with easy electives. Most universities cap tuition costs per semester, so once you get to a certain point, if you can handle taking 3 additional hours, you get those for "free". It's not something I'd advocate someone doing every semester as some loads are more difficult than others, but you have to be smart and figure out where you can take advantage.

Then they're looking at it incorrectly. I'm not advocating going and taking every AP class. But if you pick up a few hours here and a few hours there that you know you can carry forward, then over the time it takes to get your degree, you can end up getting done a semester or two early. I missed 3 semesters due to co-oping and still graduated on schedule due to how I stacked my classes and having a few credits coming in and I didn't take summer school. Early in college, what it allows you to do is take another class in a slot that would have normally been taken by that course you covered with AP. You have to know which classes you can pull forward.

Also, most degrees are 120-130 hours unless you're in engineering. Most people don't even take 15 hours per semester which leads to them being in school longer. If you're 18-22 years old with no other responsibilities, suck it up and take 18 hours a few semesters. I suffered through an 18-hour and a 21-hour semester so I could get done on time. The 21-hour semester, I took a couple of courses in my major and then loaded it with easy electives. Most universities cap tuition costs per semester, so once you get to a certain point, if you can handle taking 3 additional hours, you get those for "free". It's not something I'd advocate someone doing every semester as some loads are more difficult than others, but you have to be smart and figure out where you can take advantage.

Completely off topic but why do you have the pic from the commercial?

Anyone have kids (or yourself) who have recently gone to UK? Be curious the cost now for a semester including dorm, food, tuition, and books.

I agree with a lot of you that talk about making smart decisions about where you go to school, how you do it, etc. I work at a University now that costs $65,000/year for undergrad. And I can tell you that the degree they get is no better than the degree from the state school 10 minutes away. It's crazy what people pay for college these days!

Couple of things

Around 1980 an 8 hr work day at minimum wage would basically pay for 1 credit hour. Today's student has to work a week and a half to pay for that same credit hour.

That disproportionate increase in tuition costs versus minimum wage is due to several of the factors that have already been mentioned, like an 18 yo's ability to borrow astronomical amounts of money, but it's also due to an increase in demand. A lot of the good paying jobs you could get right out of high school no longer exist in this country, so most people feel like they have no choice but to pursue a degree. Combine that with hs guidance counsellors, for the last 30 years, preaching college or bust to every student, and you have an explosion in demand for students seeking degrees.

The problem is, there hasn't been the same explosion in demand for students who have degrees.

Plumbers and mechanics make decent scratch. If my boys turn out to be solid C students, I won't force college down their throats.

College doesn't have to be so gd expensive. Start at community college, finish up at the state school. In Kentucky, that's something like $25,000 for a 4-year degree.

Work your ass off in the summer and 25+ hours/week at a good college job (restaurant/babysit/cut grass/uber/etc), live in a dirt cheap apartment, buy used books online, take advantage of scholarships and pell grants....

The student loan nonsense has just perpetuated the terrible decision making of teenagers. Shameful. End the entire student loan program, imo. Peoples lives are being ruined by this failed experiment.

Community College? Yeah, no thanks. How about making the first two years more challenging so that I don't have to go to school with a bunch of flunkies.

Ironic that a lot of people on here are poopooing the liberal arts, yet everyone is posting on either a personal computer or smartphone that owes its roots to Steve Jobs tripping balls on LSD at Reed College and walking barefoot into and out of lectures on design and philosophy. Maybe it's also a bit ironic that Steve Jobs was a drop out and never finished college, but hey, social sciences and the arts have their place.

Seriously? I love how everyone always points out Steve Jobs on this subject or Bill Gates on college degrees. Okay, so you found basically 1 out of 100 million where that recipe worked. I'm sure if everyone dropped LSD and walked around barefoot we would have a utopia by now. Well, Steve McNair never lifted weights, I'd love to hear the high school/college athlete that uses him as an example as to why he's not going to work out but still play in the NFL.

Do better with you 2am posts.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
I legitimately want education as it currently exists to die. Someone standing in front of a room talking has been the learning model since ancient Greece. Really, we can't do better?

If you think this ridiculous bloated college system is the only option, try a course on Udacity. I tried one because I have a mancrush on the founder, and it was the best course I have ever taken. It's only $199 / month, and if you finish a 'nanodegree' you are refunded half your tuition.

Seriously? I love how everyone always points out Steve Jobs on this subject or Bill Gates on college degrees. Okay, so you found basically 1 out of 100 million where that recipe worked. I'm sure if everyone dropped LSD and walked around barefoot we would have a utopia by now. Well, Steve McNair never lifted weights, I'd love to hear the high school/college athlete that uses him as an example as to why he's not going to work out but still play in the NFL.

Ha! Great point. It's like when they talk about immigration - "Oh, the guys who started Google are immigrants. Therefore we should allow everyone from El Salvador in".

I bought my house 16 years ago and thought I could just pay it off pretty quickly. I didn't realize I'd have kids to raise, bills to pay, college tuitions and the like. So I still have a mortgage. If we are going to just forgive all college loans, I think we should just forgive my mortgage. Just right it off so I don't have to make that monthly payment.

I was still in my 30's when I bought the house--I didn't really know better and the bank offered me the money. Even provided coffee and a free bottled water when we went through the loan process. Didn't really seem like that big of a deal.

The government should just pay off all home mortgages or force the banks to write off all loans.

It's only fair.

Reactions: augustaky1
I'd be fine with letting people declare bankruptcy to get rid of the loans. It would be painful for taxpayers now, but it would ensure this would never happen again.

Reactions: BigBlueSean
Never happen again? Give it a few months, a new administration and they'd be right back to creating ways to fund new giveaways. A government doesn't really learn from its mistakes.

My favorite discussions about college never ever ever ever talk about education.

How about we push for something simple like a professor for every classroom. That seems like an attainable goal, imo.

Ultimately you have to look at it like this -

In order to get any sort of salaried job no you have to have a degree outside of "trade jobs"

So that forces the hand of many students to attend college to get a degree.

The cheapest colleges in KY tuition runs about $10,000 to $15,000 per year

Now 1st - Whats the percentage of people in KY and in the nation that can afford to pay that on their own? Slim to none

So most will have to take loans....

The average undergraduate degree takes 5 years now. So 5 x $10,000 is $50,000.

So today you need a bachelors to get a salaried job (which the avg pay of entry level salary job is $32,000/year)... so one must go $50,000 in debt, to obtain a piece of paper so they can if they are lucky get out of college and make $32,000 a year...

How does that make sense? And dont give me this bs "well i worked when i went to college".... STFU....old folks always thinking their time was harder and kids today are just lazy whiners....erks me to no end. Its thanks to your generation the education system has gotten to this point...

Reactions: Big_Blue79
I worked my ass off during college, had some help from my parents and still wound up with $30,000 of student loan debt.... Worked near 80 hour weeks in summer for money... had a job all through school.... so dont hit me with this "you took to much money" or "you are just lazy" bullshit.....

No directed to anyone on here in specific but its just something I see ALL THE TIME now talking about this...

Absolutely against it. It's unpleasant cutting the check for it each month, but financing enabled me to attain a great job, and the ability to provide & beyond for my family. My peers that advocate for this are the types that uniformly do not believe their should be consequences for any decisions they make and the buck should always be passed to someone else. Eff 'em.

Yes seriously.
My point was not that we should all be like Steve jobs and be hippies. My point was that he was an example of a person who found utility in art and worked HARD to turn his ideas into a multi billion dollar company.

Not everyone who majors in art can do that, but far more of them can do well for themselves than perhaps you think.

I know many peopl who majored in art or went to art school and have nice jobs with nice homes and nice cars. We're talking homes 700k and up, and like any other successful person, they worked hard and there was an industry that rewarded them.

And...why does it take 5 years to go through a 4 year college? Especially when so many kids have AP credits before they even start.

I'd be fine with letting people declare bankruptcy to get rid of the loans. It would be painful for taxpayers now, but it would ensure this would never happen again.
touch that. if that garbage were to occur then the irresponsible touches who ran up that bill but are welshing on paying it back should be forever removed from their colleges roles as attending, much less attaining a degree. and going forward claiming a degree they no longer possess should be a similar crime as identity theft.

don't pay for it, don't get to keep it.

The government now owns almost all student debt and it is the largest asset on the federal books. The government relies on those repayments. If you write off student loans, it will have to be made up by spending cuts (won't happen) or tax increases. Those taxes are going to be paid mostly by the higher earners who are typically older and in their prime earning years. That means that the Gen X'ers and young Boomers are going to get stuck with the bill if we allow Millennials out of their debt obligations.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/02/27/37-of-us-gov-assets-are-student-loans/

Ultimately you have to look at it like this -

In order to get any sort of salaried job no you have to have a degree outside of "trade jobs"

So that forces the hand of many students to attend college to get a degree.

The cheapest colleges in KY tuition runs about $10,000 to $15,000 per year

Now 1st - Whats the percentage of people in KY and in the nation that can afford to pay that on their own? Slim to none

So most will have to take loans....

The average undergraduate degree takes 5 years now. So 5 x $10,000 is $50,000.

So today you need a bachelors to get a salaried job (which the avg pay of entry level salary job is $32,000/year)... so one must go $50,000 in debt, to obtain a piece of paper so they can if they are lucky get out of college and make $32,000 a year...

How does that make sense? And dont give me this bs "well i worked when i went to college".... STFU....old folks always thinking their time was harder and kids today are just lazy whiners....erks me to no end. Its thanks to your generation the education system has gotten to this point...

No.

BCTCS costs about $4,000/year. UK is about $11,000.

That's $30,000 in tuition for a 4-year degree. I realize there are additional costs (books, living expenses, etc), but the majority of those can be mitigated thru wise decision making.

Are some people too poor to afford that? Sure. But that's where Pell Grants and need based scholarships come in. Working like crazy during the summer and throughout the school year. Living at home with your parents, or in a tiny no frills apartment.

College can be VERY affordable, if you actually take time to make some wise decisions. My parents actually had the money to spend, and that's how I made it thru. The concept of a student loan is nice, and it's perfectly reasonable to use in order to further your education. Unfortunately, the reality has become that student loans are mostly used as a crutch to support terrible decision making.

And...why does it take 5 years to go through a 4 year college? Especially when so many kids have AP credits before they even start.

So many kids have AP credits? How about you give some facts, some numbers to back up your generalizations. I had AP classes... some counted, many didn't. The reason it takes 5 years is because colleges frontload schedules with dumbass writing intensive courses and PSY 100-200 and bogus electives to simply cash in on their business model. How old are you? Did you go to college? You just throw these assumptions and generalizations that you think are some sort of fact.

YOu probably are one sitting here saying "get a job if its too much money" and then wanting kids to take 18-20 hours of coursework on top of it....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT