ADVERTISEMENT

For Those Who Never Heard Cawood Ledford’s Voice

• Thread starter anon_9qtxg60vqzy0y
  • Start date
Man.

I got a little choked up there. Not because of his speech, but because Cawood's voice brings back so many memories from childhood.I was 13 when he retired.

Even though he had the option of watching many games on TV, my late grandfather insisted upon listening to Cawood. In his kitchen. Same chair. Every game. "Those TV boys don't tell it like Cawood tells it," he'd say.

My grandfather and I listened to many games together in his kitchen while I mimicked the action with my basketball in hand. Had some of the best memories of my life listening to Cawood. He was the best to ever do it.

Thanks for posting, OP.

Enjoy this clip from 1991 giving the football team a pep talk. None better than this legend.

I can listen to that voice all day long. Fortunately I have numerous cassette tapes of him calling basketball games in the 70s that I had my mother tape and send to me when I was in college in Missouri since getting the games on radio (WHAS) was so staticky. You can literally see in your mind what he’s describing with his words.

Listening to him certainly motivates me!

Man.

I got a little choked up there. Not because of his speech, but because Cawood's voice brings back so many memories from childhood.I was 13 when he retired.

Even though he had the option of watching many games on TV, my late grandfather insisted upon listening to Cawood. In his kitchen. Same chair. Every game. "Those TV boys don't tell it like Cawood tells it," he'd say.

My grandfather and I listened to many games together in his kitchen while I mimicked the action with my basketball in hand. Had some of the best memories of my life listening to Cawood. He was the best to ever do it.

Thanks for posting, OP.
You’re welcome. I wish the younger generation of fans had the pleasure of listening to Cawood like we did. I’m in my late 50’s and that was our link to UK games and man did he paint a picture. Every second of every game was part of a masterpiece. He made you feel part of the game. The best ever!

Cawood is probably one of the biggest reason I love UK basketball so much. As a young teenager growing up in southern KY, and tv had only 3 channels and they were all snowy, Cawoods voice calling the games , the way he called them, made them seem as tho I was watching them live. Special person.

Can still hear him if I close my eyes. First time I ever heard him was at my grandparents house. Don’t remember the exact year but I remember him calling out big Dan’s name over and over again. I was born in 1960 so I was young. I remember if the cats were playing when we visited, you either sat by the radio and kept quiet, or you had to go outside. Good memories.

I have a cassette tape with Cawood's last game when we lost to Duke..I would not trade that tape or sell it for no amount of money. I will take that tape with me to my grave. Very special..many, many memories of listening to UK games with my dad and great uncle who have passed. I would sit with a notebook and keep the stats during the games. During time outs, we would sit and give our thoughts on the game. If the Cats won, we were celebrating. If they lost, I would run to my room and cry my eyes out like it was the end of the world. When they passed, I placed a UK cap and T-Shirt in the casket for each of them..I miss both of them and miss hearing Cawood's voice.

I have a cassette tape with Cawood's last game when we lost to Duke..I would not trade that tape or sell it for no amount of money. I will take that tape with me to my grave. Very special..many, many memories of listening to UK games with my dad and great uncle who have passed. I would sit with a notebook and keep the stats during the games. During time outs, we would sit and give our thoughts on the game. If the Cats won, we were celebrating. If they lost, I would run to my room and cry my eyes out like it was the end of the world. When they passed, I placed a UK cap and T-Shirt in the casket for each of them..I miss both of them and miss hearing Cawood's voice.

I do too. You can hear clearly on it my fist crashing down on the “stop” button right after you know who made the shot.

Enjoy this clip from 1991 giving the football team a pep talk. None better than this legend.

How many of you are old enough to remember this

"Hello everybody, this is Cawood Ledford coming to you tonight from Memorial collesium on the campus of the University of Kentucky in Lexington as the mighty Kentucky Wildcats get set to take on the Tennessee Volunteers"

How many of you are old enough to remember this

"Hello everybody, this is Cawood Ledford coming to you tonight from Memorial collesium on the campus of the University of Kentucky in Lexington as the mighty Kentucky Wildcats get set to take on the Tennessee Volunteers"
Barely from Memorial

Love Cawood, but did I hear him right...3 bowls in 39 years? We haven' got a bit better...:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

We are much better, but it was also a different time. You could add six extra bowl games to the 80s and 90s just with the added cupcake game that we have now. Heck, Jerry Claiborne would of had seven consecutive years of bowl games with the extra game. Bill Curry might of never happened.

Me (age 57) and my brother (age 48) still call each other Cawood. Loved hearing him call a game. Will never forget Cawood signing off after the gut wrenching loss to Duke in 92.

Talked with Cawood a number of times while I was in school. Didnt know till years later that we were actually related.

My first game at Rupp, i was looking for for a restroom at half-time and was lost in a mob of people. I am short and can't see over heads very well. I heard this voice behind say, "it's over that way." I looked behind me and another short guy was pointing and smiling. I did not realize until he had walked away that it was Cawood. He was one of a kind.

Man.

Thanks for posting, OP.
Similar for me only with my dad. I got a few years on you. We used to turn the lights out back when there weren’t that many games on TV. That made it easier to “see” the pictures Cawood painted with his words. No one’s ever done it better.

Classic! This is Cawood vs reality. The players in this game are legends today. Definitely, worth your time. IU is #1 going into the game.

Last edited:
I hope there are always clips like this around,in this age of texts and tweets the eloquence of the well spoken word is becoming a lost art.Cawood could paint pictures in the mind with his call of a game.I'm pretty sure he could have made a turtle race seem exciting.:D

We are much better, but it was also a different time. You could add six extra bowl games to the 80s and 90s just with the added cupcake game that we have now. Heck, Jerry Claiborne would of had seven consecutive years of bowl games with the extra game. Bill Curry might of never happened.
I know we have an extra cupcake but there were several 4 or less wins season I remember without looking it up. Am I misremembering?

Same here. I have a cassette tape as well. Remember this call?
3 on 1 Martinez back alone and heres a charge. OHHHHH. I cant believe that call. Martinez will never take a better charge but it goes the other way.
Ford is tripped no call. Ralph there not going to call anything on Duke.
They just stripped Timberlake and they gotta get him out of there.
Those call are forever imbeded in my mind.
Vin scully, Marty B. Etc all. Line up every play by play guy in history. Cawood is was and will forever be the best ever.

Reactions: JC CATS
No loss will ever hurt me as bad as that Duke game. Because not only did we lose the game we lost Cawood forever. Cried like a baby when he made his farewell speech after game. And Coach Rat had to stick his nose in it.

I love it. Especially the end. "Now go kick Tennessee's ass!" Is it kickoff time yet!?!?! Lets go!!

You’re welcome. I wish the younger generation of fans had the pleasure of listening to Cawood like we did. I’m in my late 50’s and that was our link to UK games and man did he paint a picture. Every second of every game was part of a masterpiece. He made you feel part of the game. The best ever!
He did for sure, and that voice was just so comfortable to hear. The perfect combination of professional and formal yet homespun and relaxed too. And made every game sound like a big deal.

Growing up in Cincinnati Marty and Joe calling the Reds were such a comforting fixture.. almost a cliche. Seems like Cawood did this for UK. Win or lose.. a voice of stability..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT