ADVERTISEMENT

Florida NIL Mess

What's to stop pro teams from doing this too to circumvent the salary cap?
Agreements signed by players’ Union, binding all players, and signed agreements binding all members of the league.

The salary cap is a legally binding agreement by all involved.

That might come about, eventually, in the college ranks, if the majority of unpaid or poorly paid players organize to gain power.

Agreements signed by players’ Union, binding all players, and signed agreements binding all members of the league.

The salary cap is a legally binding agreement by all involved.

That might come about, eventually, in the college ranks, if the majority of unpaid or poorly paid players organize to gain power.
It's an endorsement agreement. The NFLPA agreed to something saying they can't do endorsements?

Insane that kids these days can casually make nearly 10 million dollars from signing on to a school to play college ball.

From a UK point of view:

I love that any 2024 recruits we talk with who are also considering Florida, our coaches can bluntly say we deliver what we promise....unlike other programs

Time for the real NCAA (i.e., the college presidents) to say "enough is enough" and redefine college athletic eligibility rules starting with no FR eligibility in football and especially in basketball. Year to year follow on eligibility should be based on academics.

Peace

From a UK point of view:

I love that any 2024 recruits we talk with who are also considering Florida, our coaches can bluntly say we deliver what we promise....unlike other programs
They’ll be able to counter with UK doesn’t support NIL and show a bunch of posts from this board to prove it.

• Haha
Reactions: vikingfer
No one in their right mind would do this would you fork over 9.5 million to 11 million for unproven players this system is going to bust college sports you’ll be talking about what you watched in the past because college sports are going to end
I don’t believe this sort of money at all. There is no way they’re shelling out $10mil for an unproven recruit (or any recruit for that matter).

I don’t believe this sort of money at all. There is no way they’re shelling out $10mil for an unproven recruit (or any recruit for that matter).

The entire thing is confusing. The kid was set to commit to UF last summer, took a surprise trip to Miami where he was supposedly offered 9m to play there. He promptly committed to the U with UF all upset. UF had several collectives form, one supposedly offered 13m, he flipped to UF. Turns out UF collective didn't have the money, they didn't have the 1.5m to repay the advance he got, which is gone. Awful big numbers being thrown out by several reporters and sounds like a lot of unkempt promises from the UF side.

Now they are all in on the LSU transfer QB. But as said above how can you trust that program?

TN threw out 8 million MU has a lawyer running money around from the day the SCOTUS made that decision. All these players know what is happening. Read the article the Qb in question (family) has already spent 1.5 million of Miami’s money that is the reason for the quandary in Fla

I too am skeptical of the amounts you hear discussed. Anytime someone is able to obtain the real numbers, they’re always lower.

For example, the newspaper in Austin was able to obtain the NIL numbers for Texas student athletes via open records requests. For most of the ‘21-‘22 academic year, the total value of NIL deals for the entire football team was only $879,447.

Another paper made similar open records requests for Texas A&M. From July 2021 through August 2022, the total value of NIL deals for the entire football team was $3,367,517.

I’m skeptical when I hear about multi-million dollar deals being offered to a single player.

Last edited:
Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
I too am skeptical of the amounts you hear discussed. Anytime someone is able to obtain the real numbers, they’re always lower.

For example, the newspaper in Austin was able to obtain the NIL numbers for Texas student athletes via open records requests. For most of the ‘21-‘22 academic year, the total value of NIL deals for the entire football team was only $879,447.

Another paper made similar open records requests for Texas A&M. From July 2021 through August 2022, the total value of NIL deals for the entire football team was $3,367,517.

I’m skeptical when I hear about multi-million dollar deals being offered to a single player.
I tell who should be skeptical the IRS somebody eventually is gonna be nailed for tax evasion or ponzy scheme behavior.

Reactions: Cat06
I tell who should be skeptical the IRS somebody eventually is gonna be nailed for tax evasion or ponzy scheme behavior.
I think what will happen is the IRS will crack down on rich people who are itemizing and try to pass this off as charitable giving.

Ryan Day said last summer it cost $10 million to keep this year's team intact.
Not exactly. He told a group of boosters that he thought they’d need that amount to keep the team and remain competitive, so it was his estimation. But keep in mind, he’s saying that to the boosters to try and spur them to action (actually believe he said $13M).

When Ohio State released their actual NIL data, it was much lower. From July 2021 through Jan 2022, the total value of NIL deals across all sports at Ohio State was $2.98M, which was the highest in the nation.

If you assume 80% of that total goes to football players, then you’re looking at about $4M in NIL deals for the full year if the deals come in at the same rate.

[...]He told a group of boosters that he thought they’d need that amount to keep the team and remain competitive, so it was his estimation. But keep in mind, he’s saying that to the boosters to try and spur them to action (actually believe he said $13M).
Correct but this isn't a message board poster giving a ballpark WAG. This is the head coach who is in the minutae of this stuff with informed thoughts. We can agree it may have been a bit less in reality, and that he may have being trying to influence rich folk more than try and inform, but they retained multiple first round picks over the summer and that cost a siginficant amount to boosters and/or businesses.

Critically, his comments also have to do with the time period btwn June 2022 and Jan 2023. The period you cite is irrelevant to this specific point. I'm confident NIL numbers P5-wide will have grown expotentially in 2022 compared to 2021, but in any case you can't cite numbers from a different period. When 2022 numbers get released and it turns out it's about $5 million again for OSU then I'll gladly cede the point.

Also, could you share a link to the OSU numbers you've been citing? That would be a nice reference link for me, and others interested, to hold on to. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Ryan Day said last summer it cost $10 million to keep this year's team intact.
1. He said that to boosters when he was looking for money. So, of course he’s going to over estimate

2. This is exactly why recruits aren’t getting $10million/person.

Reactions: CatPatrick13
1. He said that to boosters when he was looking for money. So, of course he’s going to over estimate

2. This is exactly why recruits aren’t getting $10million/person.
1. See comment above. This was addressed but I'm guessing you blew right past it.

2. This was what he said it would take total for last year's team which included projected three first round picks.

Correct but this isn't a message board poster giving a ballpark WAG. This is the head coach who is in the minutae of this stuff with informed thoughts. We can agree it may have been a bit less in reality, and that he may have being trying to influence rich folk more than try and inform, but they retained multiple first round picks over the summer and that cost a siginficant amount to boosters and/or businesses.

Critically, his comments also have to do with the time period btwn June 2022 and Jan 2023. The period you cite is irrelevant to this specific point. I'm confident NIL numbers P5-wide will have grown expotentially in 2022 compared to 2021, but in any case you can't cite numbers from a different period. When 2022 numbers get released and it turns out it's about $5 million again for OSU then I'll gladly cede the point.

Also, could you share a link to the OSU numbers you've been citing? That would be a nice reference link for me, and others interested, to hold on to. Thanks in advance!
See below for a link. I believe I first read it last year in the press release, but the link below references that same release.

You’re correct in that the $2.98M figure is from an earlier time period. That said, there is an extreme amount of concern at Ohio State about the level of their NIL funds, so I doubt that anything has changed dramatically.

As an example, Lincoln Kienholz is the QB that just signed with Ohio State (4 star I think). During his interview after the announcement, he said something to the effect of: “I could have gone to Washington to get NIL money, or I could go to Ohio State and get development.” He said Ohio State couldn’t come close to matching the NIL amount he said he could get if he went to Washington.

[...] so I doubt that anything has changed dramatically.

As an example, Lincoln Kienholz is the QB that just signed with Ohio State (4 star I think). During his interview after the announcement, he said something to the effect of: “I could have gone to Washington to get NIL money, or I could go to Ohio State and get development.” He said Ohio State couldn’t come close to matching the NIL amount he said he could get if he went to Washington.
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree, but if OSU's released NIL funds don't rise next year then I'll be the first to say you were right.

(Far less important point: I also don't think Kienholz is the best example for your argument. Washington has to pay a premium for a blue chip QB while OSU signs one or two per signing class. Now, if - all theoretical - Harrison Jr transfers to USC, Paris Johnson says he had to go pro because OSU's NIL money, or Day gives a new number less than what he did last summer I think your argument is stronger.)

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree, but if OSU's released NIL funds don't rise next year then I'll be the first to say you were right.

(Far less important point: I also don't think Kienholz is the best example for your argument. Washington has to pay a premium for a blue chip QB while OSU signs one or two per signing class. Now, if - all theoretical - Harrison Jr transfers to USC, Paris Johnson says he had to go pro because OSU's NIL money, or Day gives a new number less than what he did last summer I think your argument is stronger.)
No worries if you disagree and we’ll see how things plays out. I just know from speaking with people there that NIL is a major area of concern.

Fans have been really unhappy with Gene Smith (Ohio State AD), blaming him for their inability to get their act together on collectives. Fairly or unfairly, fans were reacting to his earlier comments about not wanting NIL dollars to take away from donations to the athletics department.

Smith did reverse course about a month ago sending out a plea to Ohio State fans to donate to their collectives which again, fairly or unfairly, hasn’t helped public perception of his role with Ohio State’s NIL issues.

Genie is out of the bottle. The only way NIL could ever have worked well is if there were some SEVERE penalties that the NCAA could have dropped on member institutions that were discovered to be gaming the system. But, that plan supposes a NCAA that has both integrity and the power to enforce. The current iteration has neither.
If the NCAA could have mandated that all member institutions open their NIL books for in-depth scrutiny, 'some' of this stuff might have been prevented. Legit business that had no connections to the programs and wanted to pay a player for endorsements should have been the business model. Instead we have these collectives that operate, in some cases, outside of the university purview entirely. Newly started LLC's act as shell companies to direct monies to recruits on behalf of boosters and donors. It's a cesspool and only going to get worse.

I didn't read everything if this is mentioned already. Ferrell said the 13million isn't true. He says the true numbers he's heard are closer to 2 million. Here's a copy.

The Jaden Rashada situation has become a mess as well. Rashada originally committed to Miami with a good NIL offer but flipped to Florida when demands increased and the Gators matched. The $13 million number is dumb, so don’t believe it. I’ve heard something in the range of $2 million and not sure if that’s over a couple of years or his projected career but nothing I’ve heard amounts to anything close to $13 mill.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
I didn't read everything if this is mentioned already. Ferrell said the 13million isn't true. He says the true numbers he's heard are closer to 2 million. Here's a copy.

The Jaden Rashada situation has become a mess as well. Rashada originally committed to Miami with a good NIL offer but flipped to Florida when demands increased and the Gators matched. The $13 million number is dumb, so don’t believe it. I’ve heard something in the range of $2 million and not sure if that’s over a couple of years or his projected career but nothing I’ve heard amounts to anything close to $13 mill.
The Athletic article and the Orlando Sentinal article both cite multiple sources saying $13 million. So maybe "he said she said" situation but fwiw the author, G. Allan Taylor, has been a reporter for a long time and considered credible. There is definitely someone(s) within UF telling two different journalist from two different publications this number.

Rumor has been Gator Collective has a prominent donor who is selling his business and not as liquid as everything believed leading to this mess.

Excerpts:

Eddie Rojas, CEO of the Gator Collective, which he launched in August 2021. A former Florida baseball player who entered the NIL space with a crowdsourcing platform, Rojas hoped to make his alma mater known as “NIL U.”

Hugh Hathcock, mega-donor who pledged $12.6 million to Florida’s athletic department in 2022. In April, he launched the Gator Guard — an assembly of wealthy donors capable of writing checks larger than the fan collective could amass in years.

Nov. 10: Rashada and the Gator Collective agree to terms on an NIL deal exceeding $13 million. Such a massive pledge is thought to dramatically exceed the Gator Collective’s fundraising level, so the deal presumes assistance from Hathcock or other Gator Guard donors. After signing the contract, Rashada decommits from Miami and flips to Florida.

Dec. 7: Rojas sends a termination letter regarding the $13 million contract, according to a program source close to the situation. There are conflicting accounts about why the deal crumbled and who pledged to pay what. Multiple conversations ensue between donors and athletic department members, including Castro-Walker and Stricklin. Some within the administration are only now getting up to speed on what was promised — the program aiming to keep these third-party NIL dealings at arm’s length.

Jan. 11: A program source with knowledge of the entanglement says Rashada won’t be enrolling at Florida. “There’s a lot of panic. It’s like stepping on an ant pile.” There’s also the potential for litigation, hinging upon whether the November contract is binding.

$13M approximately over 4 yrs, people are being stupid thinking it is 1 yr, or that is what it cost to sign him

The Athletic article and the Orlando Sentinal article both cite multiple sources saying $13 million. So maybe "he said she said" situation but fwiw the author, G. Allan Taylor, has been a reporter for a long time and considered credible. There is definitely someone(s) within UF telling two different journalist from two different publications this number.

Rumor has been Gator Collective has a prominent donor who is selling his business and not as liquid as everything believed leading to this mess.

Excerpts:

Eddie Rojas, CEO of the Gator Collective, which he launched in August 2021. A former Florida baseball player who entered the NIL space with a crowdsourcing platform, Rojas hoped to make his alma mater known as “NIL U.”

Hugh Hathcock, mega-donor who pledged $12.6 million to Florida’s athletic department in 2022. In April, he launched the Gator Guard — an assembly of wealthy donors capable of writing checks larger than the fan collective could amass in years.

Nov. 10: Rashada and the Gator Collective agree to terms on an NIL deal exceeding $13 million. Such a massive pledge is thought to dramatically exceed the Gator Collective’s fundraising level, so the deal presumes assistance from Hathcock or other Gator Guard donors. After signing the contract, Rashada decommits from Miami and flips to Florida.

Dec. 7: Rojas sends a termination letter regarding the $13 million contract, according to a program source close to the situation. There are conflicting accounts about why the deal crumbled and who pledged to pay what. Multiple conversations ensue between donors and athletic department members, including Castro-Walker and Stricklin. Some within the administration are only now getting up to speed on what was promised — the program aiming to keep these third-party NIL dealings at arm’s length.

Jan. 11: A program source with knowledge of the entanglement says Rashada won’t be enrolling at Florida. “There’s a lot of panic. It’s like stepping on an ant pile.” There’s also the potential for litigation, hinging upon whether the November contract is binding.
Did he sign anything with Miami? Previously is said he had a huge deal with them

Did he sign anything with Miami? Previously is said he had a huge deal with them
Not sure. This was the only other reference to Miami in either articles besides referencing the Miami decommit. Miami may lose their five star CB to PrimeTime too.

June 9-12: Rashada joins his 7-on-7 team the Miami Immortals — a travel squad funded by University of Miami billionaire booster John Ruiz — at the OT7 national tournament in Las Vegas.

Not sure. This was the only other reference to Miami in either articles besides referencing the Miami decommit. Miami may lose their five star CB to PrimeTime too.

June 9-12: Rashada joins his 7-on-7 team the Miami Immortals — a travel squad funded by University of Miami billionaire booster John Ruiz — at the OT7 national tournament in Las Vegas.
McClain in not going to Miami. Supposedly they want them to add someone as a coach and Miami said no. Bama quit recruiting him because it's gotten so stupid. He is on a visit to Colorado and supposedly making a commitment Sunday

Reactions: The-Hack
I don't see how this thing can be sustained long term as is. The yellow wood guy, Haslams et al have a lot of skrilla but they're not going to sink several million into 18 year old QBs forever.
Especially with lumber prices and production cost. That guy is going to have a bad '23.

Rashada officially files to get out of Florida LOI. Probably will sue Florida collective for breech of contract. Florida's recruiting should suffer - how will top prospects trust that they will get what is promised?

Rashada officially files to get out of Florida LOI. Probably will sue Florida collective for breech of contract. Florida's recruiting should suffer - how will top prospects trust that they will get what is promised?

200w.gif

During the weeks of this drama it was mentioned Rashada took a 1.5m advance from Miami when he committed there. That money is supposedly gone, UF was suppose to repay and didn't have that money either. Don't know how much is or isn't true, like you I think it should hurt them because how can any kid trust them after this mess?

Reactions: JHB4UK
During the weeks of this drama it was mentioned Rashada took a 1.5m advance from Miami when he committed there. That money is supposedly gone, UF was suppose to repay and didn't have that money either. Don't know how much is or isn't true, like you I think it should hurt them because how can any kid trust them after this mess?
Why would Florida, or Rashada for that matter, have to repay anything?

Rashada has filed paper work with NCAA to get out of his scholly with FL. Leaves them with Mertz and Miller at QB. They would like to have Howard from LSU but what would Mertz think of that?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT