ADVERTISEMENT

Florida NIL Mess

YaketySax

Senior
Jun 28, 2018
Sorry not sorry:

Rashada is a four/five star QB recruit depending on the recruiting service you look at. Rumor: one of the big donors to the collective has a business being sold at the moment and isnt as liquid as he thought, and whoever brokered the deal didn't pay close enough attention to the collective's cashflow. So they couldn't get that signing bonus direct deposit on time and the family got spooked.

May end up at Colorado which would mean PrimeTime recruited over his son. The off-season is starting off strong.

Sorry not sorry:

Rashada is a four/five star QB recruit depending on the recruiting service you look at. Rumor: one of the big donors to the collective has a business being sold at the moment and isnt as liquid as he thought, and whoever brokered the deal didn't pay close enough attention to the collective's cashflow. So they couldn't get that signing bonus direct deposit on time and the family got spooked.

May end up at Colorado which would mean PrimeTime recruited over his son. The off-season is starting off strong.
That ain’t NIL, that’s pay for play. Florida is illegally buying to recruits for Sun Belt Billy.

What a mess. Miami originally bought the recruit but I guess Florida outbid them. On the the next highest bidder.

I’m just so confused. If you got that much money spend it on a now qb in the transfer portal. Go get Hartman or Leary or anyone else. Why waste it on an unproven talent.
I think the Gators picked up Mertz from the portal(?). They were counting on Rashada to get to the proverbial next level.

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
I’m just so confused. If you got that much money spend it on a now qb in the transfer portal. Go get Hartman or Leary or anyone else. Why waste it on an unproven talent.
It is interesting that it seems like the big NIL boosters went after high school QBs rather than grad transfers. I guess that’s where they think the value is.

Honestly, I hope more of this happens to crash the whole "NIL" pay for play BS. I'm all for players getting paid true NIL money, not this BS that's currently going on.
So much of NIL everywhere is pay for play. How many hours a week is Matt Jones paying football players to work with his wrastling business and what’s the pay per hour? Maybe that’s not a good example (he works then 20 hours a week or more) but I don’t see much distinction anywhere.

I can't wait for some of these ridiculous mercenaries to make bank and then suck on the field. We should start seeing it soon.

This kid is prime to be a big letdown. The sport needs this to happen often and soon.
What's going to be fun is when NIL donors wind up in Tax Court over their business expense deduction of the grease. It might happen.

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
The thing I don’t understand is the return on investment for these high school QB’s. History says that a significant portion of these blue chip recruits aren’t going to pan out, yet teams are willing to pay out millions of dollars for them with no guarantee they’ll ever contribute? Wouldn’t these mega NIL deals for QBs be better focused on proven commodities in the portal?

I can't wait for some of these ridiculous mercenaries to make bank and then suck on the field. We should start seeing it soon.

This kid is prime to be a big letdown. The sport needs this to happen often and soon.
…or enter the transfer portal after one year…

Read elsewhere the NCAA is working on a plan to end multiple transfers by individuals.

Read elsewhere the NCAA is working on a plan to end multiple transfers by individuals.

I read the opposite, that it was considering allowing a 2nd transfer without sitting. No way that is good for the system. Awful lot of kids in the portal right now w I think no options.

Did you not see Texas A&M? 😆

I read the opposite, that it was considering allowing a 2nd transfer without sitting. No way that is good for the system. Awful lot of kids in the portal right now w I think no options.
Thatll be the curb. I’d tell kids they could transfer (once).

I think it should be If you don’t get picked up, then your school does not have to take you back…..if say for example you was in the portal we needed your position we went out and replaced you instead of feeling held hostage by you and then it was all just a attention seek and you never were actually leaving then sorry bud. We filled your scholarship.

Reread the story, said new guidelines would limit guys to 2 transfers(one undergrad and one grad transfer)...unless the kid has a good lawyer. True, seems a lot of guys are being hung out to dry.

Thatll be the curb. I’d tell kids they could transfer (once).

I think it should be If you don’t get picked up, then your school does not have to take you back…..if say for example you was in the portal we needed your position we went out and replaced you instead of feeling held hostage by you and then it was all just a attention seek and you never were actually leaving then sorry bud. We filled your scholarship.

I am not sure, but I think it is that now. Scholarships are for 1 year. Of course if the guy is a good player and decides to return school wi take him, but a 3 or 4 year player who isn't in the 2 deep is on his own in finding a new place.

I am not sure, but I think it is that now. Scholarships are for 1 year. Of course if the guy is a good player and decides to return school wi take him, but a 3 or 4 year player who isn't in the 2 deep is on his own in finding a new place.
I sure hope so, because a lot of these are attention seeking. People jumping just to try to get money to stay ect.

Take Goodwin for example he jumped ship then no one really actually wanted him, so he might come back, I’d already be trying to spend his scholarship 🤔. Better decide to come back before a piece is found to offer your spot to is all I know.

Reactions: Wonky
My fear is that we are once again looking at the expected outcomes of legal challenges. If little Billy can make unlimited money while studying physics, why can't athletes. They should be treated the same. That is the basic thought process of Kavanaugh and the courts in general at this point, I think. If that is true, little Billy can also change schools every year if he wants, it's his life and I fully expect the courts to once again agree that athletes should be treated the same.

Without some sort of collective bargaining agreement to control things like they do in the pros, we're going to end up with pure chaos, transfers at will, bidding wars (which we already have) and so on. Crazy as it sounds, a collective bargaining agreement may be the only way to save the sport at this point.

My fear is that we are once again looking at the expected outcomes of legal challenges. If little Billy can make unlimited money while studying physics, why can't athletes. They should be treated the same. That is the basic thought process of Kavanaugh and the courts in general at this point, I think. If that is true, little Billy can also change schools every year if he wants, it's his life and I fully expect the courts to once again agree that athletes should be treated the same.

Without some sort of collective bargaining agreement to control things like they do in the pros, we're going to end up with pure chaos, transfers at will, bidding wars (which we already have) and so on. Crazy as it sounds, a collective bargaining agreement may be the only way to save the sport at this point.

From what I am reading, and they are several different stories circulating, there are about 3 sides to the story. One is he took 1.5m of 9m from Miami to commit to them. UF collective promised to repay the 1.5m and up the off to around 11m. Now the UF collective doesn't have the money to repay Miami and the family has gone through the original money. Another is Ruiz outfitted their agent and he is contracted to play at Bama. Whatever it is it's a mess, UF is getting a blackeye on the recruiting trail. But it was bound to happen. We don't have the funds for pay to play, current players are getting paid. I know some who seldom see the field get 500$ plus expenses and autograph fees for 4 hour appearance. Stetson has a big one with milk producers of Georgia of all things. We just don't have the mega rich booster.

From what I am reading, and they are several different stories circulating, there are about 3 sides to the story. One is he took 1.5m of 9m from Miami to commit to them. UF collective promised to repay the 1.5m and up the off to around 11m. Now the UF collective doesn't have the money to repay Miami and the family has gone through the original money. Another is Ruiz outfitted their agent and he is contracted to play at Bama. Whatever it is it's a mess, UF is getting a blackeye on the recruiting trail. But it was bound to happen. We don't have the funds for pay to play, current players are getting paid. I know some who seldom see the field get 500$ plus expenses and autograph fees for 4 hour appearance. Stetson has a big one with milk producers of Georgia of all things. We just don't have the mega rich booster.
I don't see how this thing can be sustained long term as is. The yellow wood guy, Haslams et al have a lot of skrilla but they're not going to sink several million into 18 year old QBs forever.

Aint gonna lie, I hope like hell Joe & Kelly Craft buy us a 5* 2024 QB
No one in their right mind would do this would you fork over 9.5 million to 11 million for unproven players this system is going to bust college sports you’ll be talking about what you watched in the past because college sports are going to end

Reactions: westerncat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT