ADVERTISEMENT

FIT.Y.E.R.O. (Meathead, wellness, fitness, diet, exercise) Thread

Favorite gym activity is just a simple HIIT-type workout. Yesterday was about a 25 minute deal rotating between burpees, dumbbell clean and press, kettlebell squats, etc. When I add that in after a run I feel amazing.

Running 20 miles in the morning with my Saturday 5:20am crew. Best day of the week.
Trying to get jacked bro not healthy over here. Kidding.

I take Bucked Up on Leg Day and Super Human the other days. Creatine in pre and a protein shake later.

I eat 3-4K cals/day mostly protein.

Anth the biggest I got was #230 and I was on carnivore (besides PB and blueberries at night for dessert) eating about 6K/day. It was insane and impossible to do long term really.

M-Quads
T-Chest
W-Hammies
R-Back
F-Glutes
S-Shoulders/Traps
S-Hot Yoga

-Abs and/or calves between sets to work the accessory muscles and keep the heart rate up since I HATE cardio, it’s so boring.

Walk the dog twice a day, 1.6 miles-ish morning and evening.

Like anth said I STRUGGLE not working out every day. So I take Sunday off weights and just do an hour of awesome killer yoga. Need that stretching to help muscle growth and it’s the hardest cardio I do, honestly one of the most challenging workouts I do.

The last month plus in KY before I moved I was pretty down in the dumps with all the family bs going on. Ate like shit, stopped lifting regularly and lost #15 pounds of muscle. Sad very sad. My short shorts aren’t as tight which sucks because I worked HARD this year to build my legs up.

Eating mostly chicken, rice, sweet potatoes, broccoli, cottage cheese and tomatoes with milk, sushi when I go out to eat. Water the rest of the day, not drinking, asleep on the couch around 9-9:30 before moving to bed.

We’re hardcore back on track now. Up at 4:30 at the gym at 5 for average of two hours before the morning dog walk. Gained #5 back since I moved to FL and that was a week ago.

Reactions: warrior-cat
No swimmers chiming in?

THAT shit is brutal.

I like zoning out doing Cardio. Me time. Tunes. Sweat. Too bad I neglected myself of it for 20 years up until post-Covid.

Reactions: Jdhays21 and chroix
No swimmers chiming in?

THAT shit is brutal.
Swam competitively growing up. It’s a killer full body workout and will cut you up. I go back to it in early winter to start leaning out.

Always encourage folks to get their kids to learn how to swim at an early age because it’s a great exercise you can do even at an advanced age. Seen a lot of adults try to learn how to swim for Tri’s and it’s a challenge for them to try and learn to breathe properly and not panic when they inevitably swallow water.

Trying to get jacked bro not healthy over here. Kidding.

I take Bucked Up on Leg Day and Super Human the other days. Creatine in pre and a protein shake later.

I eat 3-4K cals/day mostly protein.

Anth the biggest I got was #230 and I was on carnivore (besides PB and blueberries at night for dessert) eating about 6K/day. It was insane and impossible to do long term really.

M-Quads
T-Chest
W-Hammies
R-Back
F-Glutes
S-Shoulders/Traps
S-Hot Yoga

-Abs and/or calves between sets to work the accessory muscles and keep the heart rate up since I HATE cardio, it’s so boring.

Walk the dog twice a day, 1.6 miles-ish morning and evening.

Like anth said I STRUGGLE not working out every day. So I take Sunday off weights and just do an hour of awesome killer yoga. Need that stretching to help muscle growth and it’s the hardest cardio I do, honestly one of the most challenging workouts I do.

The last month plus in KY before I moved I was pretty down in the dumps with all the family bs going on. Ate like shit, stopped lifting regularly and lost #15 pounds of muscle. Sad very sad. My short shorts aren’t as tight which sucks because I worked HARD this year to build my legs up.

Eating mostly chicken, rice, sweet potatoes, broccoli, cottage cheese and tomatoes with milk, sushi when I go out to eat. Water the rest of the day, not drinking, asleep on the couch around 9-9:30 before moving to bed.

We’re hardcore back on track now. Up at 4:30 at the gym at 5 for average of two hours before the morning dog walk. Gained #5 back since I moved to FL and that was a week ago.
That is my exact same regimen rouge, I started eating fried eggs and sausage with low calorie gravy and it’s made a huge difference 🍺

Reactions: roguemocha
No swimmers chiming in?

THAT shit is brutal.

I like zoning out doing Cardio. Me time. Tunes. Sweat. Too bad I neglected myself of it for 20 years up until post-Covid.

I got up to 1200m without stopping and thought i was gonna die. But I ultimately stopped due to 1. Difficult to find a pool and 2. Like other cardio it is insanely boring. The 800 and 1200m felt like an endless time loop (which I guess it kind of is)

Reactions: chroix
Im no expert, and im sure my workout wouldn’t be looked at fondly by an expert, but it has worked for me. As a side note, in 2011 I weighed 400 lbs and had gastric bypass. Lost 125 lbs before leveling off a Year or so later. In 2017 I started lifting and cardio, and was able to get down in the 225-230 range, and maintained it until surgery in 2019. Im now around 255, and I know a big part of that gain is muscle, but I also know 15 or 20 pounds of it is fat.

I have been doing kettlebell almost exclusively 6x/wk for over a year and a half. I use a 35lb KB but am planning to move up to 40 soon.

At the gym by 4:30 each morning. Each day I do a different 30 minute “break in” workout.
Day 1 = KB swings x10 then overhead KB carry for approximately 100 feet. Rest, rinse, repeat
Day 2 = Alternating single arm DB cross body deadlifts x10 followed by 45 lb plate carry approximately 100 feet
Day 3 = KB crossbody raise then around my head and down on the opposite site (no idea what that movement is called) x18 followed by around the worlds x10 each direction
Day 4 = high pulls x 15 then overhead tricep extensions x20 followed by 20 calf raises
Day 5 = straight leg deadlifts x10 then decline chest press x10
Day 6 = squats x10 then bicep curls x10

I do a 30 minute full body KB workout after all of that. Incorporate a variety of movements like bicep curls, tricep extensions, KB swings, around the worlds, high pulls, chest presses, and donkey kicks.

After that I do 25 minute combo of core, chest, and legs on the ground. Its a mix sit ups, crunches, leg lifts, planks, bridge ups, etc.

Two or three days a week I try to finish with a trip to the abductor and adductor machine to get a bit more work on my legs.

That workout takes about 70 to 75 minutes and it keeps my HR around 150.

Diet is absolutely the most difficult part. Im not very dialed in but I try to eat Greek yogurt with berries and protein granola a couple of times a day. I also drink some protein shakes.

Congrats on the long term success. Interesting workout for sure but don't see why it wouldn't be successful. Good mix of body parts and seems like you're mainly focused on health and fat loss.

There's at least 4 or 5 posters here ive never seen before. I post quite a bit on RR and Paddock, but never on GYERO and the other longtime running threads.. I'm guessing that has a lot of folks who almost solely post there?

No issue or anything, just find it interesting see a ton of names I've never seen before.

how old are you? 30lb added to your max in a year is pretty impressive tbh

Mid 40’s. Before COVID I lifted a lot but didn’t do a ton of cardio. During COVID I stopped going to the gym and started running. And I ran a lot. In the last year I started lifting again and loading up on protein (which before, I’d argue I wasn’t consuming enough of).

My goal was 315. But since that Anthony character basically called me a pussy, I’m going to try to get up to much higher than that.

How do you all take creatine? I know it’s a powder, but do you mix it with water, some type of drink, add it to some kind of food? If so, does it alter the taste, consistency of things?

Im a rube about this stuff, but if it will help me continue to progress im down to try.

Just mix with water, your pre, protein shake etc. it doesn’t taste like anything. Get micronized monohydrate. Thorne is really good as bonz suggested but if you’re new just any of them honestly and you can fine tune down the road for what works best. If you’re going to workout out consistently, 3+ times/week, you should be taking it.

Reactions: natron20
How do you all take creatine? I know it’s a powder, but do you mix it with water, some type of drink, add it to some kind of food? If so, does it alter the taste, consistency of things?

Im a rube about this stuff, but if it will help me continue to progress im down to try.
Throw it your protien shake or mix in a little with some OJ.

OJ has too much sugar for me personally but whatever works.

I’ve been enjoying incorporating negative/eccentric reps in lately. I’m probably going to do a week a month where I do negatives the entire week, maybe not leg day, that’s tough, we’ll see though. Gives me a great pump.

Reactions: Mossip
Putting my back into adding weight/mass. Been between 180-185 for 15 years. Goal is tickle 200#'s by Memorial Weekend.

Whole foods for all three meals plus 3 shakes in between. Pushing 3k calories. May not be enough though?

Cut cardio to an 12.5 incline walk @ 3.5 to warm up for 20 before lifting, to keep the heart healthy but not doing anything intense through the spring.

Lift 5 days, active rest the other 2.

Brother, I just ran your numbers (rough guess, but I know you well enough to know I was close), and you’re not even at maintenance with 3k. I got a little closer to 3500 for you. Just for maintenance.

Meaning you need to be closer to 4k to slowly add lean, quality mass.

Push day:

Weighted dips: 5 X 10-15
Incline bench: 7 X 6-12 (lower rep heavy weight on sets 3-5)
Overhead press (machine) & Dumbbell lateral raise: superset 5 X 8-12
Cable crossover & pushups: superset 5 X 10 :: 100 push-ups total (no rest superset)
Triceps extensions: 5 X failure (I don't have to hit tris very much)

Maybe some cardio if I'm still feeling it.

Reactions: Bonzo Cat

Brother, I just ran your numbers (rough guess, but I know you well enough to know I was close), and you’re not even at maintenance with 3k. I got a little closer to 3500 for you. Just for maintenance.

Meaning you need to be closer to 4k to slowly add lean, quality mass.
“Hey Bonz, what hobbies do you have?”

“Lifting. Eating. Sh*ting.” :flush:

Good lord, 4k per day sounds like a chore. But you’ve steered me right on other supplementations that require long form calculations, so Marcus go along with your figures on bulking.

I'm targeting 2600 calories a day, while trying to max protein and minimize carbs.

Typical workout is 20 mins on an exercise bike to warm up, them 30 mins of weight training (by muscle category), followed by 10-20 mins in the sauna.

Been mixing in some intermittent fasting. Try not to eat anything before 10am, sometimes wait as late as 2pm.

I'm at the point where I need to cut fat. I'm not concerned about adding muscle. I dropped 30 lbs earlier this year, then started taking creatine because Bonz and Anth said I should and immediately put on 20 lbs. I'm back to cutting weight again finally, but a long way to go to hit my goal.

Last edited:
Picked this thing up and love it. Already had 5-50# dummies at the house.

“Hey Bonz, what hobbies do you have?”

“Lifting. Eating. Sh*ting.” :flush:

Good lord, 4k per day sounds like a chore. But you’ve steered me right on other supplementations that require long form calculations, so Marcus go along with your figures on bulking.
This is the Way.

Homemade weight gainer shakes are your friend. Almond milk, cottage cheese, steel cut oats (cooked or uncooked; I prefer cooked in the microwave, gives it a smoother texture), almond butter base. Throw in another ingredient or two as desired (keeping it clean, of course).

Can add 1000+ calories doing that once or twice a day without even thinking about it.

I worked with a diet coach for a little while to put on some muscle to fill out my weight class. At the peak of it she had me (a 5'9" woman in early-mid 30s) eating ~3250-3400 calories a day. It was a CHORE to eat that much consistently since I was keeping to food I prepped rather than main lining junk. And when I'm busy during the day, I get in the groove with work and forget to eat. It paid off, I put on a lot of quality muscle, but gah, I struggled with it. I know eating enough is always my missing piece (and that is the opposite problem most people have). Working on ramping that back up so my energy levels stay more consistent.

My goals are massively different I think - I’m trying to stay as slim as possible as I hit my 40s. I’m 42, and I was an absolute gym rat in my 20s, did two a days 6 days a week but was heavy cardio and high reps. I was 6’0” and 148lbs at my best shape. I’m obviously small framed. At this point I hover between 162-168 lbs but would prefer to be closer to 160. Unfortunately I just don’t go to the gym barely ever. I go on Tuesdays, my day off, but can’t seem to manage any other days with my work schedule and 3 toddlers. On my Tuesdays I do legs, chest, and core. I do elliptical for 15 mins one other day of the week and that’s it. Otherwise I just severely limit my caloric intake with intermittent fasting and only one big meal a day on weekends. Only drink water unless alcohol on weekends. This thread has motivated me to try and figure out how to get a legit workout back in 3 days a week, hope I can do it. Thanks for the recs in here.

66 years old and I work out 6 days a week in the mornings. Mon.-Wed.-Fri. upper body workout with Total Gym, pullup and dips stand, and a pushup bar. Tues-Thurs-Sat normal leg workout with martial arts workout following as a cardio. Have a Bob, Wave Bag and a Bas Rutten setup in my shop for martial arts. Also walk the dogs most mornings (weather permitting) and teach Karate 3 times a week.

Diet...needs work. I am 5'9" weighing 205lbs (was 230 beginning of the year). Do use Isopure and like drinks for midday liquids and Premier Protein (chocolate) from Sams for some breakfast days. But, for the most part, I eat whatever I want. Moderation is the key so, I eat less now but not by much.

My goals are massively different I think - I’m trying to stay as slim as possible as I hit my 40s. I’m 42, and I was an absolute gym rat in my 20s, did two a days 6 days a week but was heavy cardio and high reps. I was 6’0” and 148lbs at my best shape. I’m obviously small framed. At this point I hover between 162-168 lbs but would prefer to be closer to 160. Unfortunately I just don’t go to the gym barely ever. I go on Tuesdays, my day off, but can’t seem to manage any other days with my work schedule and 3 toddlers. On my Tuesdays I do legs, chest, and core. I do elliptical for 15 mins one other day of the week and that’s it. Otherwise I just severely limit my caloric intake with intermittent fasting and only one big meal a day on weekends. Only drink water unless alcohol on weekends. This thread has motivated me to try and figure out how to get a legit workout back in 3 days a week, hope I can do it. Thanks for the recs in here.
Ron, I worry that 6’ #160 is pretty skinny man, you could definitely be just fine adding 10-15 lbs. You have zero need as far as I can tell to “severely limit…caloric intake”. Do what you’re comfortable with but that seems extreme. Not saying you should be JACKED but that’s pretty damn light.

-When I got to #230 and eating 6K cal/day it was definitely a chore. I just cooked up tons of ground beef and took a container everywhere with me. Ate in the car otw to the gym or errands and ate more otw home. I once forgot to bring food so I stopped at Publix and bought a rotisserie chicken and picked the thing completely clean by the time I was home.

I’m not going back to that as I honestly looked weird. I mean, 5’ 11” #230 with 10-12% body fat is pretty freaking big.

Ron, I worry that 6’ #160 is pretty skinny man, you could definitely be just fine adding 10-15 lbs. You have zero need as far as I can tell to “severely limit…caloric intake”. Do what you’re comfortable with but that seems extreme. Not saying you should be JACKED but that’s pretty damn light.

I’m just very small framed. You know when you do that test to see how thick your frame is by wrapping your thumb and middle finger over your wrist? My thumb and middle finger actually overlap. I will never have big legs just built skinny. I used to work at a vitamin store in my early 20s, drank like 300 grams of protein a day, and was doing heavy lifts and maxing out and got up to 180 and it just looked kinda ridiculous on me. I have a solid gut at 165 now and could absolutely lose 8 lbs and look better.

Try MAPS 15 by the Mind Pump guys. Gets great reviews and is designed specifically for people with schedules like yours.

I’m just very small framed. You know when you do that test to see how thick your frame is by wrapping your thumb and middle finger over your wrist? My thumb and middle finger actually overlap. I will never have big legs just built skinny. I used to work at a vitamin store in my early 20s, drank like 300 grams of protein a day, and was doing heavy lifts and maxing out and got up to 180 and it just looked kinda ridiculous on me. I have a solid gut at 165 now and could absolutely lose 8 lbs and look better.
That’s wild about the wrist thing my man. I just tried and mine don’t touch. So yeah slight frame for sure.

…Everyone

Juice helps deliver the creatine. I use a 1/4 cup of organic oj each morning with my AG1.

Last edited:
Juice helps deliver the creatine. I use a 1/4 cup of organic oj each morning with my AG1.
Does that AG1 get expensive? I got some one time years ago and can’t remember. I like the idea of it though so I’m considering ordering more just haven’t looked at prices.

I loved taking the ONNIT Total Human but $140/month was a little much for me to think it was necessary. Hell that’s a month of Jiu Jitsu or unlimited yoga which I would prefer over that supp package if I had to pick.

Last edited:
Is there a fitness tracker that does not connect to your phone or the internet that can monitor BP heart rate etc? I just want something simple that cannot share my info or be hacked.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT