ADVERTISEMENT

Finebaum, "Cal no longer best option for UK"

Paul Finebaum doesn't know if a basketball is pumped up or solid.

Him giving meaningful commentary on what's best for UK B-Ball is like Forest Gump discussing Nuclear Physics.

Stay in your lane, Paul.
Forrest Gump was extremely intelligent. Leave Forrest out of this!

Reactions: uky8unc5
You and I do not always agree, but you are spot on here. UK football needs to 1. Beat FL & TN in the same season for the first time since before most of us were born and 2. When something that matters like the SEC East for starters. Yeah, I know, we are in the SEC and it is so hard...but at some point you have to make the leap. Last year we had an 11-1 gift season staring us in the face and UK crapped the bed against MSU & TN to finish 9-3. Good season, but football schools finish that off and make it to the New Year's 6 with a shot at the playoff (outside shot IMO and Bama beating UGA in the SEC Title game would have made it a 0% shot).

As far as recruiting, UK football was already having some struggles due to NIL but it seems to have picked up again of late...NIL will determine how UK Football does long term as it is an arm's race in the SEC and UT, A&M, etc, have deep pockets.
Fair point about Stoops blowing 2 winnable games that would have pushed us to 11-1. And you know what? He gets away with it because we are a basketball school.

The success of Stoops at UK has been commendable. But it wouldn’t be enough if he were at a real football school.

Can he take the next step? He kind of needs to now. What’s he going to do if he’s 8-4/9-3 this year? Blame Cal?

Cal stepped in it, no doubt. Stoops handled the response poorly, imo. UK football came across as “little brother.” And just when it didn’t seem like it could get worse, Mitch said, “hold my chocolate malted.”

But you know what? All this did was turn up the pressure on everyone. Both Cal and Stoop have even more to prove than they did a week ago. That might not turn out to be a bad thing.

This again? How many times have fans said that?
I'm sure after Calipari chokes again in the post season we will see posts saying..."Now, if if he fails NEXT YEAR...".
One definition of insanity is to continue to repeat the same actions hoping for a different outcome.
He has choked once . I mean I GUESS u could say 2015 was a minor choke job as well but twice in 14 years aint bad when u average a elite 8 every time u make the tourney. No one with a brain can consider Cal NOT a top 5-10 coach in the game and he was , is and always will be the best recruiter in the game especially now that K is gone.

He has choked once . I mean I GUESS u could say 2015 was a minor choke job as well but twice in 14 years aint bad when u average a elite 8 every time u make the tourney. No one with a brain can consider Cal NOT a top 5-10 coach in the game and he was , is and always will be the best recruiter in the game especially now that K is gone.
2015 is quite possibly the biggest choke in the history of college basketball and that’s not hyperbole. We were up 6 and had three straight shot clock violations in the last 5 minutes with the best team ever assembled. So, the best team ever with a lead went 3 minutes without getting a shot off. That’s the worst choke ever.

BS. Finebaum doesn’t know dick about roundball. He’s making himself look silly.

I’ve been critical of Cal the last several years, but we have a monster of a team this season and it’s because Cal has made ALL the right changes he needed to make. He’s proven he is still the right man for the job.

Now if he blows it with this squad I might agree it’s time for him to go. But he’s done something Tubby didn’t do — change when it became apparent he had to.
Right Changes ?? Like what -- getting the group of recruits he wanted instead of missing so many times ? He's got far better players , but he's still Cal . And it should be unarguable -Cal doesnt change . So we shall see , I hope high , but I know he's so very capable of blowing it .. KSU , Auburn , St Pet , just too many times we get out prepared and out coached . And it just takes one game for Wheeler to go 2-10 and 0-4 from 3, with 5 TO's to get us bounced .. Cal wont reign him in .

I don't disagree with any of this. But, as I've said before, the point is it was a stupid thing to say publicly. It was a juvenile way to try to get what he wants. It did nothing positive. And only looks petty and weak. ZERO reason to do that to a fellow coach. And look what's happened. One dumb@ass comment has been blown out of proportion and making headlines. The cherry on top, is Cal is so much of an egomaniac, he can't even offer a passable authentic apology.
I have been somewhat on the anti Cal train the last couple of years as evident by my comments, but I though what Cal said this past weekend was as close to a perfect take as he could have made. He didn't murder anyone so no need for him to get on his knees.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
2015 is quite possibly the biggest choke in the history of college basketball and that’s not hyperbole. We were up 6 and had three straight shot clock violations in the last 5 minutes with the best team ever assembled. So, the best team ever with a lead went 3 minutes without getting a shot off. That’s the worst choke ever.
It was an upset, and yes when they were up 6, sure you can call it a choke. But Wisconsin was a top 3 team, Kentucky clearly hadn’t been the same since Poythress went down, and Wisconsin also had a shot clock violation that was just casually ignored; calling it “the biggest choke in the history of college basketball” is asinine.

It was an upset, and yes when they were up 6, sure you can call it a choke. But Wisconsin was a top 3 team, Kentucky clearly hadn’t been the same since Poythress went down, and Wisconsin also had a shot clock violation that was just casually ignored; calling it “the biggest choke in the history of college basketball” is asinine.
Never should have lost to Wisconsin. We had that damn game won.

I agree, but Finebaum is the biggest voice for the SEC. It just adds a megaphone to this circus. Non UK fans won't even read about this story, but when they keep seeing headlines like this, they'll believe there is a circus and bad blood at UK. Optics and perception often outweight reality and compound a bad situation.
Blame the internet click bait.

Exactly and I would like to add that Wisconsin was the only team that could have beat UK that yr based on how good they were and also the revenge factor they had from the previous year’s FF when UK defeated them in the semis.

I’ve been critical of Cal the last several years, but we have a monster of a team this season and it’s because Cal has made ALL the right changes he needed to make. He’s proven he is still the right man for the job.

Now if he blows it with this squad I might agree it’s time for him to go. But he’s done something Tubby didn’t do — change when it became apparent he had to.
He’s also had a longer leash than Tubby had. It’s been stated here many times that Tubby had a better record his last five years than Cal has had and we pretty much ran Tubby outta town. Tubby didn’t have time to turn it around.

Believe what you want. They freaking choked. When’s the last time you’ve seen a team with 3 straight shot clock violations? I’ve never seen it happen any other time in my life. That happened to the most talented team ever, in the final four. There literally can not be a bigger choke than losing because you wouldn’t even shoot the ball.

That's the lane I'm currently in. MAYBE see about next year. The money becomes less of an issue. IMO, the bigger issue is, who the heck is out there to replace him?
That's where I'm at. See what he does with this Oscar-led team, and then see what he does with the Edwards/Dillingham class.

If he fails with those two groups, he needs to leave.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I'm giving him two years to get back to the Final Four. If he can't do it with the Oscar team or the Dillingham class, I don't think he'll ever do it here again.
That's fair. Anything short of a Final Four this year will be pretty disappointing but let's at minimum make the Elite Eight. The Sheppard/Dillingham/Edwards class is exciting too but he's always going to have exciting recruiting classes. We'd probably be able to do the "but look who we have coming in next year!" pretty much every year.

Not for sure he changed, more like NIL money is buying rosters now and not for sure its Cal. We got a nice team top to bottom but it bought and it's fine still got to earn it.

Didn't get a chance to listen... but did he name any other candidates he feels are better options? Or, did he just say Cal isn't the best option, and leave it at that?
You already know the answer to that...he's basically skip Bayless of the sec. Just say some wild stuff for clicks/views

Reactions: Zissou87
That's fair. Anything short of a Final Four this year will be pretty disappointing but let's at minimum make the Elite Eight. The Sheppard/Dillingham/Edwards class is exciting too but he's always going to have exciting recruiting classes. We'd probably be able to do the "but look who we have coming in next year!" pretty much every year.
If he adds Wagner, that will be the first elite of the elite haul he's had since the Fox class, so that's why I'm looking at it as a "wait and see" with the Wagner class. He hasn't recruited like this in a long, long time.

Reactions: STL_Cat
The last two years were major screw ups. 9-16 and losing to a #15 seed in back to back years are both terrible. Not worthy of his salary in any way. There is much more to running a elite program than simply recruiting. How many #1 or #2 classes has Calipari had at UK?

He’s also had a longer leash than Tubby had. It’s been stated here many times that Tubby had a better record his last five years than Cal has had and we pretty much ran Tubby outta town. Tubby didn’t have time to turn it around.

4 final fours in 6 years buys you a long leash. Tubby couldn’t get over the hump after ‘98. And when push came to shove, Tubby refused to fire his staff who wasn’t getting it done on the recruiting trail. Cal told Bustus and Barbee to kick rocks.

Did you watch Toppin shoot the ball? Get out of here with that nonsense.

Anyone that paid attention also knows that was just one of like 8 different "starting" lineups Cal sent out there. That is not the starting lineup we will probably have on opening night, but if it is, we would be fine.

As for Finebaum, who cares what he says. Calipari has to prove it all this season and next season (He needs a title this season or next year IMO, or time to part ways mutually), and some football mouthpiece saying something does not add anymore pressure than is already on Calipari IMO.
He was right about the Wisconsin game

Finebaum can piss off.

If Cal can not deliver a deep run this year, then yes, it’s time to go. But for now we look to have a solid squad.

Man. Media is just mad Uk might have solid years in FB and BB. Meanwhile UF and UT are big ol question marks in both.

Okay?

this way of thinking he could be applied to anything said on this message board. Who’s your starting 5? Oh great, Cal doesn’t care so why post it?

it’s about discussion. You know that
Nope. I'm saying there are some UK fans who would never be done with Calipari no matter how badly his teams performed. They're the 'wait till next year' crowd. We saw it for decades in football. It's about finally embracing reality.

Reactions: drew_ukfan
Nope. I'm saying there are some UK fans who would never be done with Calipari no matter how badly his teams performed. They're the 'wait till next year' crowd. We saw it for decades in football. It's about finally embracing reality.
You’re right

Him mentioning Billy Donovan removed a lot of credibility for his argument. He might as well be one of his "Jim Bob Turnipseed from Tuscaloosa" callers.

If Cal fails this year once again, he needs to go

I consider myself a realist but I love Cal. I agree with this. If this year is anything close to the last 2, it’s time to part ways. Right now, he’s still the man for the job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT