ADVERTISEMENT

Fayette County Schools back in news…

Contrary to popular belief, school districts are not required, by law, to provide transportation/get children to school. They could easily say that school is in session, but because of unsafe road conditions, the buses will not be running. Therefore, parents will need to provide transportation themsellves, or let their children walk to school.

Hearing no school again tomorrow. High of 36 tomorrow. Ridiculous. FCPS is soft if this is true! What do places like Wisconsin and Chicago do..kids do NTI from Oct thru Mar due to cold weather and snow?
places like Wisconsin & Chicago spend more on cold weather road treatment. People there are also better equipped for driving in the snow. More options to complete classwork now than when I was a kid. Virtual didn’t exist. Much easier to say stay off dangerous roads and work comfortably at home than to say there’s a grief counselor in the office if anyone needs to see them. I like having my kids at home and working with them on NTI days. I’d rather them be off the roads and it’s better than keeping them in school til June.

places like Wisconsin & Chicago spend more on cold weather road treatment. People there are also better equipped for driving in the snow. More options to complete classwork now than when I was a kid. Virtual didn’t exist. Much easier to say stay off dangerous roads and work comfortably at home than to say there’s a grief counselor in the office if anyone needs to see them. I like having my kids at home and working with them on NTI days. I’d rather them be off the roads and it’s better than keeping them in school til June.
Virtual didn’t exist back then.. that was a good thing because then people figured it out. They got their kids to school and kids didn’t have an option to stay under the covers. Thank you to those who succumbed to Covid fear..because it opened up the doors to lock the doors of our school when they should be open. I work from home and am thankful that I do because I get to spend time with my kids when they are home. But that’s also the selfish part of me and I also realize 45 minutes of watching a video on a computer screen is not equal to a day inside the classroom interacting with a teacher. WLEX weather shows snow starting at 5 pm today, so fear may have kept kids at home another day. Like I say 20 years ago we didn’t live in fear. Not only has FCPS become soft, the world in general has after COVID.

Reactions: cole854
Contrary to popular belief, school districts are not required, by law, to provide transportation/get children to school. They could easily say that school is in session, but because of unsafe road conditions, the buses will not be running. Therefore, parents will need to provide transportation themsellves, or let their children walk to school.

Good luck on something like that ever happening...lol.

Virtual didn’t exist back then.. that was a good thing because then people figured it out. They got their kids to school and kids didn’t have an option to stay under the covers. Thank you to those who succumbed to Covid fear..because it opened up the doors to lock the doors of our school when they should be open. I work from home and am thankful that I do because I get to spend time with my kids when they are home. But that’s also the selfish part of me and I also realize 45 minutes of watching a video on a computer screen is not equal to a day inside the classroom interacting with a teacher. WLEX weather shows snow starting at 5 pm today, so fear may have kept kids at home another day. Like I say 20 years ago we didn’t live in fear. Not only has FCPS become soft, the world in general has after COVID.
It was a good thing that parents had to take off work and stress about who was going to pick up their kids before blizzards came into the area? I have not so fond memories of my single mother stressing about this several times. A few days at home during the winter are not going to harm their precious minds, NTI days are even better for kids. At least they have the opportunity to learn something from home. I remember my traditional snow days involved getting up at 11 and staying inside playing games all day.

It was a good thing that parents had to take off work and stress about who was going to pick up their kids before blizzards came into the area? I have not so fond memories of my single mother stressing about this several times. A few days at home during the winter are not going to harm their precious minds, NTI days are even better for kids. At least they have the opportunity to learn something from home. I remember my traditional snow days involved getting up at 11 and staying inside playing games all day.
A few times of parents or kids stressing out about how to get to the bus stop in 1 inch of snow shouldn’t hurt their precious minds either.
“At least they have the opportunity to learn something at home”…again this was the covid attitude as well. You hear all those “experts” now fessing up about the detrimental effects this attitude has had on the kids now? We will feel the effects for a long time, but yeah let’s keep this up.

A few times of parents or kids stressing out about how to get to the bus stop in 1 inch of snow shouldn’t hurt their precious minds either.
“At least they have the opportunity to learn something at home”…again this was the covid attitude as well. You hear all those “experts” now fessing up about the detrimental effects this attitude has had on the kids now? We will feel the effects for a long time, but yeah let’s keep this up.
Kids spent months learning from home during Covid, replacing traditional snow days with NTI days is not the same. And while we're on the topic, the private schools that you want your kids to go to so badly cancelled school this week too.

You really believe this?
I knew someone was going to make a comment about that sentence. I know this may not be the case for you but some people can find ways to learn new things every day whether that be in class or not.

Who approved this NTI approach in Fayette County? Other counties are not doing this, so it wasn't a state mandated policy.
I’m sure our local school board backed by teacher union reps were involved. Not saying teachers, but the union reps…big difference.

Kids spent months learning from home during Covid, replacing traditional snow days with NTI days is not the same. And while we're on the topic, the private schools that you want your kids to go to so badly cancelled school this week too.
Private schools did go half day today.
I knew someone was going to make a comment about that sentence. I know this may not be the case for you but some people can find ways to learn new things every day whether that be in class or not.
and Matteo shows up! Welcome to the topic you hate to read about (yet continue to read and actively post within the topic). Just can’t help yourself I see. While you are here, what do you teach your kids for the 6 hours out of the day they are home after they have finished their 45 minutes of NTI “work”?

I don’t really understand what’s the issue here, I had snow days in the 90s growing up, did you guys not?

I don’t really understand what’s the issue here, I had snow days in the 90s growing up, did you guys not?
My memory was yes we did…when there was more than 2 inches of snow on the ground. And if we did get a lot of snow justifying a snow day, then it was a snow day…we didn’t do 45 min of work and call it a school “day”. NTI days, teachers are available for zoom from 8 am - 10 am if kid has a question, otherwise no interaction with the teacher.

NTI days started years before Covid, back in 2014. Student attendance on bad weather days is always terrible. Classrooms are half empty so students can practice learned concepts but not really start anything new. At least in our district, students have 5-6 different assignments and teachers have to be an available from 8am-3pm. Not saying you feel this way, but most parents that complain about NTI, complain about having to work with their child.

Private schools did go half day today.

and Matteo shows up! Welcome to the topic you hate to read about (yet continue to read and actively post within the topic). Just can’t help yourself I see. While you are here, what do you teach your kids for the 6 hours out of the day they are home after they have finished their 45 minutes of NTI “work”?
I never said I hate to read about it, I applauded you for your enthusiasm on the topic if you do remember. My child is almost two months old so I'll have to ask the wife what subjects she focused on today whether it be pooping, eating, or sleeping. Which ones do you like to help yours with?

Why is that? Little Johnny won't be able to go to the beach on time?
Yeah. God forbid they get a summer break. A break from school and a chance to make lifelong memories. Summers at the pool, in the creek, and at the baseball field with friends. Sorry if it makes you watch your own children. Half the people who want their kids at school all the time are the same ones who complain about how the state is indoctrinating their kids.

Let’s be honest, half these morons aren’t learning shit anyway. Let them just drop out and get a job digging ditches and avoid the cost of school.

Last edited:
Let’s be honest, have these morons aren’t learning shit anyway. Let them just drop out and get a job digging ditches and avoid the cost of school.
I kind of agree. Kids should specialize around the time they’re 13. Set them on pace to learn a trade or something that will let them be productive members of society. Let the ones who want to, and are capable of higher learning, go on to certification programs or colleges.

Reactions: WayneDougan
-that's the German model, certainly has its benefits.

-re: nti. In principle it's fine for folks that have the means to have a stay at home parent/or the ability to WFH. Ultimately it really just screws the poor. What's new.

I kind of agree. Kids should specialize around the time they’re 13. Set them on pace to learn a trade or something that will let them be productive members of society. Let the ones who want to, and are capable of higher learning, go on to certification programs or colleges.

Like China does....cool.

Like China does....cool.
Exactly. I’m suggesting sending 12 year olds to the rice fields if they don’t score high enough on a test. Totally not fostering their talents and natural skills so they can be successful. Like you said, China.

Well thankfully ky senators only gave them 10 NTI days each year back during covid. Of course some were hollering that’s not enough 😃.
It’s always been 10. But the issue now is they’re threatening to pull them away if districts don’t use them. They want to send the money set aside for them somewhere else even though it rolls back to the state if not used. When they use a NTI day, schools report 100% attendance so that messes with ADA money the state pulls from schools. Most districts only used a few last year with a mild winter and they are afraid of losing them if we get a year with a lot of snow in the future. So look for many called this year even on days they could probably go.

Well thankfully ky senators only gave them 10 NTI days each year back during covid. Of course some were hollering that’s not enough 😃.

A day of NTI in January > a day in person at the end of May and HS graduations pushed back (a dumb rule itself)

I would argue they are both equally wasted days thus it’s all that more important that they make great efforts to go to school when physically possible. I don’t believe they do that..whatever their reason may be.

Heard a great idea. Someone said the bus transportation system needs to have secondary pick up routes. FCPS reasoning for not having school is usually “secondary”roads are too bad for buses. Ok, so buses can’t get down courts/circles. Bet the main neighborhood road is clear. Make that the secondary stop for days like these and go to school.

Heard a great idea. Someone said the bus transportation system needs to have secondary pick up routes. FCPS reasoning for not having school is usually “secondary”roads are too bad for buses. Ok, so buses can’t get down courts/circles. Bet the main neighborhood road is clear. Make that the secondary stop for days like these and go to school.

Sounds good but not practical. Can't have kids walking distance in cold in addition to the wait.

What really needs to happen is a county/city needs to clear the roads.

Reactions: bbonds and McDrama
I've got a better idea. You adults in Lexington could locate your dicks and oust that DEI-hire superintendent of yours.
Yes, getting rid of superintendent would be great start but problem is I think that is up to the board and the board thinks exactly like the superintendent. We have tried to flip the board but apparently lots of Fayette County residents think exactly like the superintendent/board so afraid thing will just keep going downhill.

Sounds good but not practical. Can't have kids walking distance in cold in addition to the wait.

What really needs to happen is a county/city needs to clear the roads.
Agree seeing one snow plow would be great..don’t think they exist anymore. At same time I think kids could walk .5 miles to the main street in their neighborhood that is clear. The ones that care would find a way to get there. The ones that don’t care wouldn’t, just like a normal day without snowy roads. According to FCPS own message, 80% of roads are clear. So we are going to keep 80% of kids at home for those 20% where the “roads aren’t safe”…soft! Anyone starting to see how FCPS will continue to make the news..and not in a good way?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT