ADVERTISEMENT

Expectations for this team

Dontworryboutit23

All-American
Jan 4, 2022
Did last night alter everybodies expectations for this team. Or is everybody still in on them being a final four team or a dangerous team in the tourney. Last night just highlighted for me that the mantra being said of “ oh Kentucky can just score 90 every game and they will be fine” is absolute bullshit. With the defense and rebounding being as it currently is I just don’t see this team going anywhere past the round of 32 or sweet 16

My first hope for this team was winning the SEC and ending the 1 seed drought. I’d say those are both out the window now.

I do think this team could be tough come March, on a neutral court. But it’s going take a lot of luck with the draw and if our shots are falling. Defense and rebounding was never going to be elite, but now I wonder if it can even get to at least serviceable.

Last night was super deflating. The next three games are going be tough and will show if this team has the grit to finish strong.

I haven't been sold on this team being a final four team because of their inability and desire to play defense. I agree that the Sweet 16 is probably the ceiling and could easily see them getting upset in the first round by a team who slows it down and back door cuts them to death because we lose our guys on defense all the time.

If I was Cal I would tell the guys that the first time you leave your man to go chase the ball or double team a guy on the post who isn't a threat you are coming out and may not go back in the rest of the game. Rob, Reed and Edwards are all horrible about doing this and leaving their man wide open. People keep saying that teams get superman goggles and hit every shot when they play us but any high level D1 player should be able to hit wide open shots.

I agree with you and have to wonder if we get better or fold like we have done the last couple of seasons.
Yeah, it’s not crazy to think this team could go 1-3 in this stretch and plummet in the rankings and metrics. Hopefully last night pissed the players off, and they refocus and regroup. The opportunity to do something special is still there, but we got to see some grit and drive.

It 100% altered my outlook on this season.

There was so much goodwill around the program after Z was cleared and his awesome first game. But, the cracks were there - blowing the 30 point lead against UGA, getting beat at home by UNCW.

After the GA game, Kentucky had a chance to go no a roll and build some real steam - solidify the lineups, improve on defense and build on the goodwill that game produced. Instead - the team came out and were exposed, looked like boys playing against men and destroyed just about every ounce of real hope this team built.

Now you have these bullshit lineups, Cal doubling down on Edwards, not knowing why Thiero isn't playing and all the typical Calipari three ring circus bullshit we've become accustomed to. It's a pattern now and I've been saying it for some time now - Calipari always follows up the good with something awful. Last night was peak Kentucky basketball under Cal the last five years - take a step forward and then fall right on your face and look stupid. Start it all over again.

It's not going to change with Cal here. He's done winning championships here. This team was his last shot and he's blowing it. He's gonna drop at least seven regular season games with this group and he has essentially zero chance to win the SEC tourney...could very well end up a 3-seed S16 exit and then everyone leave and the team is gutted.

Rinse/Repeat next season - only next years team will not be as good.

I’ll be rooting as hard as I can from my couch. But if I’m being honest, I don’t see winning anything. No SEC season, no SEC tourney, bow out in round of 32 seems about right. Then listed to Cal blabber about nothing in last post game. It’s a shame, cause we have talent. Enough to have a shot a a final four and title. They need to get their shit together quick if they want to win something. Real quick.

I've said for a while that I believe you're playing with fire going into March counting on One and done guys to be leaders if they're on the court at all.

And ask these questions again:

So, are the days of a for sure great team over?
Should round of 32 or sweet 16 be our ceiling more often than not?

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
I doubt UK wins the the reg season SEC champ...maybe SEC tourney champ.

My expectations are still the same. This is still a final four team. The team didn't show up. Same problem as the UNCW game. Cal has to figure out how to get all these players (specifically the freshmen) to bring it every game. That is why, even though it is Cal's choice, it is so hard to find success with freshmen dominated teams.

It's nice to have Mitchell and Reeves, but all the other guys are freshmen. They haven't been through the grind of a season like this before. Doesn't matter how much wisdom the seniors try to impart, they still have to go through it.

The good news is this young team has shown up for all the big games, but too often they just take their foot off the gas, lose focus, lose energy, lose toughness, in the other games...which sucks because those losses effect UKs seeding, making the final four run more challenging.

Expectations? Getting bounced in the first weekend once again unless someone teaches this group to play defense..It's a shame with the talent on this team offensively that that the mentality is just to outscore everyone, well that doesn't work if you're not hitting shots.

Reactions: crestcat
I doubt UK wins the the reg season SEC champ...maybe SEC tourney champ.

My expectations are still the same. This is still a final four team. The team didn't show up. Same problem as the UNCW game. Cal has to figure out how to get all these players (specifically the freshmen) to bring it every game. That is why, even though it is Cal's choice, it is so hard to find success with freshmen dominated teams.

It's nice to have Mitchell and Reeves, but all the other guys are freshmen. They haven't been through the grind of a season like this before. Doesn't matter how much wisdom the seniors try to impart, they still have to go through it.

The good news is this young team has shown up for all the big games, but too often they just take their foot off the gas, lose focus, lose energy, lose toughness, in the other games...which sucks because those losses effect UKs seeding, making the final four run more challenging.
I wish I shared in your optimism but I have to ask what have they done to make you think they can win 4 games in a row against good competition to make the final four? To this point, we are yet to win 4 games in a row against tournament quality competition.

Even with last night I'm sticking with Final 8 exit. Which is, sadly, an improvement over recent years.

really hard to have any expectations with the track record since 2015 with ccc in charge

there is no coaching ability
there is very little if any player improvement
complete lack of fundamentals relating to rebounding (other than Oscar), screens, defense
deserving players sit the bench while favorites continue to play with no results
continued embarrassing losses to inferior, lower ranked teams - even @ home
never any defensive adjustment
worst record in UK history
1st round NCAA loss
loss of fan support & interest due to total disrespect

thought maybe this year would be different with the highly rated recruiting class, which included Shep & Big Z
but again the constant double talk regarding injuries, and just absolute stupid coaching & substitution patterns
has reverted this season to the same old disappointing thing

With all of these annual attributes, why would anyone diminish their expectations

really hard to have any expectations with the track record since 2015 with ccc in charge

there is no coaching ability
there is very little if any player improvement
complete lack of fundamentals relating to rebounding (other than Oscar), screens, defense
deserving players sit the bench while favorites continue to play with no results
continued embarrassing losses to inferior, lower ranked teams - even @ home
never any defensive adjustment
worst record in UK history
1st round NCAA loss
loss of fan support & interest due to total disrespect

thought maybe this year would be different with the highly rated recruiting class, which included Shep & Big Z
but again the constant double talk regarding injuries, and just absolute stupid coaching & substitution patterns
has reverted this season to the same old disappointing thing

With all of these annual attributes, why would anyone diminish their expectations
This is spot on!!

I would just add that Cal doesn’t coach anymore. That is evident in how we can’t:

Rotate properly on defense
Defend the 3 pt line
Keep the opponents best player from getting shots in spots they like
Block out
Defend an inbounds pass under the opponents goal
Run plays to free up shooters
Set screens away from the ball side on offense
Our Guards ability to make a tough 2 at the rim OR draw a foul
Have very few players that are even adequate passers(even Guards) Shep is the only one good at it

It has been obvious that the past few seasons that Cal doesn’t teach the game to his kids anymore. This is why we aren’t winning big again.

Sad

Last edited:
I’m actually pretty hard on Cal, he’s the worst at getting his team ready for games and that Xs and Os thing. However, I think this team could win the Championship this year. They have the potential to destroy teams. Unfortunately they also could lose the first weekend if they come out flat and don’t work on their deficiencies quickly.

Reactions: chroix
This team absolutely hand a chance to win it all. It just depends on if they learn the lessons in the losses. So far they have not. Plenty of time for them to figure it out but they need to put in work, shut off the outside noise and stop believing their own hype.

I'm excited for March and another opportunity to see the Cats in action on the first weekend of the NCAA tournament! Anything beyond that is gravy! Get the guys ready, FWC! (First Weekend Cal)

Reactions: BGCATFAN2012
It's only January. You will see this team continuing to improve and become extremely dangerous come March. No one will want to face UK in the tournament that is for certain.

• Haha
Reactions: Mike-McD
It definitely did.

You know this season has been a real opposite around here. There's usually quite a bit of pessimism. But even after the UNC-W loss, I didn't see much that. We have threads here just a few days ago with people not understanding how on earth Gary Parrish could rank us low. We have threads here complaining because computer systems like Kenpom and NET don't have us ranked.

I usually fall on the optimistic side. But I'm not nearly as high on this team as others are. Don't get me wrong I love watch this team play. It's one of my favorite teams in a long long time here. But if they can't figure it out defensively, they are more than likely going home before any of us expected.

That being said, now the threads on here have drastically changed. We got hammered last night so its understandable. But hopefully in a few days (or if we get some big wins in the next three games), people will see this for what it is. One game.

This game didn't drastically change the course of the season. At the end of the day, we are either good or we aren't good. The entire season will answer that question.

So I guess what I'm saying is......maybe last night should have "slightly" changed peoples expectations but this team still has the pieces to be a very good team and challenge for a final four/title. They just aren't quite there yet.

Feels very similar to the Maxey Quickley season. We feel like they had high hopes when the computers never saw the same thing. This year presumably we’ll at least get a tournament to see what happens!

There is A LOT of time left in the season. Can we get everyone healthy, formulate a rotation, get Z acclimated to tough college ball, and start tightening up the defense come late February? I think so. SEC success is nice but really we will all remember the season based on what happens 2 months from now.

Everyone crowning you in January is not a recipe for success, just look at the Saint Peter’s team.

Last night changed nothing about my expectations.

Reactions: The_Answer1313
Did last night alter everybodies expectations for this team. Or is everybody still in on them being a final four team or a dangerous team in the tourney. Last night just highlighted for me that the mantra being said of “ oh Kentucky can just score 90 every game and they will be fine” is absolute bullshit. With the defense and rebounding being as it currently is I just don’t see this team going anywhere past the round of 32 or sweet 16
Title or bust for Cal and after last night I just don’t see one this year

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
Early exit from NCAAs to a fair to middling team playing for their lives and UK's players getting ready for the NBA draft. I hope that is not the case but reality hit hard last night.

UK is a dangerous team, IF we score 90 every game. But we will probably face a gritty hard nosed team in the NCAA and our 5-stars just don’t have this mentality - part based on youth and part that they only had to score in high school and were probably encouraged to take it easy on the defensive end. Offense is fun, defense is hard work.

I’m not as negative after an ugly road loss as most posters today (some of whom who have been conspicuously absent in recent weeks), and I still think this team CAN make a deep run, but am not confident they WILL.

Have to pick it up on defense and on the glass. Offensive rebounding by our opponents has killed us in our losses.

It's only January. You will see this team continuing to improve and become extremely dangerous come March. No one will want to face UK in the tournament that is for certain.
Yeah it seems everyone is shaking in they nikes when the Cats come to town, or they come to our town... it's small chance that it happens and we make run deep into March. More likely to be done with no tournament experience on our roster they will pee down thier legs.

I've said for a while that I thought Cal would never get back to a Final Four much less win a title. After Saturday, I began to think maybe I might be wrong and this team could make a Final Four despite Cal. However, last night showed why I was worried. We looked just like the Kentucky of the past few seasons and if Cal has his way, he will muck up this basketball team, especially in March. I'm kind of glad last night happened so I can go back to not caring if this team loses anymore.

The players are very likable so I was starting to give a shit again. I was pretty aggravated last night and hadn't been that way in a few years.

Reactions: dcw62
Unpopular opinion but I feel like wayyyyyy too much weight (good and bad) is being placed on the coaching spot.

There's no doubt there's coaches out there that do more with less talent. There's no doubt that some coaches underperform based on the talent they have (some would argue given our talent under Cal and just 1 title, he would fall in this category).

But at the end of the day, either the players are good enough to make a final four run or they aren't. Yeah there's a bunch of talent on this team. But we have quite a bunch of players that are talented on just one side of the court. We aren't a good defensive team and while I think that's something that can be improved a little bit by coaching, at the end of the day if u stink on defense, u stink on defense. And that will limit us come March.

Reactions: FitchandMurray29
Unpopular opinion but I feel like wayyyyyy too much weight (good and bad) is being placed on the coaching spot.

There's no doubt there's coaches out there that do more with less talent. There's no doubt that some coaches underperform based on the talent they have (some would argue given our talent under Cal and just 1 title, he would fall in this category).

But at the end of the day, either the players are good enough to make a final four run or they aren't. Yeah there's a bunch of talent on this team. But we have quite a bunch of players that are talented on just one side of the court. We aren't a good defensive team and while I think that's something that can be improved a little bit by coaching, at the end of the day if u stink on defense, u stink on defense. And that will limit us come March.
I'm the opposite. I see too many people blaming the players. Those guys are great athletes, what they need is the coach to motivate, develop, instruct and strategize for them. They can't just go out there and do it on their own.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT