ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN fpi has UK going 5-7

Gee....someone pointed out on Twitter the same forecast had a three win season last year.

All good. Better to be the dog than the underachieving favorite.

Reactions: kjbadge
Gee....someone pointed out on Twitter the same forecast had a three win season last year.

All good. Better to be the dog than the underachieving favorite.

the FPI number for Kentucky last year was 5.4 - not 3. Someone on twitter was making things up.

I actually think this years’ FPI has us at 6.4 wins. Not too optimistic, but a little better.

Isn’t the words liberal and conservative still an adjective? They don’t have to be political.
An adjective that pertains to what? It literally doesn't relate to the topic at all in any other way. Yelling "dem dayumm librals' at everything has caused the phrase to become ignorant and overused

Reactions: mrschwump
An adjective that pertains to what? It literally doesn't relate to the topic at all in any other way. Yelling "dem dayumm librals' at everything has caused the phrase to become ignorant and overused

Ryan use a dictionary it’s explains both words. :)

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Ryan use a dictionary it’s explains both words. :)
Did I say the definition of the word was incorrect?? No. If you read what I said, societal references to the word such as how you were using it because you know exactly what ignorance you were trying to spout, have created the disdain towards the use of said political reference.

1-7 in the SEC??? I thought we had Arkansas and Vandy on our schedule. plus the 4 OOC games which should be a minimum of 6 wins.
We will be competitive with Missouri, South Carolina, Tennessee and Miss St. and can win 1 to 3 of those games, even though the fpi doesn't see it that way. UK is undervalued.

I actually think this years’ FPI has us at 6.4 wins. Not too optimistic, but a little better.
Yep. And that is basically the same number "predicted" by Steele's preseason numbers and Connolly's early S&P+ spreads. My earlier subjective assessment was 7, maybe even 8 if they can steal one. Perfectly possible.

Peace

BEEP BEEP BOOP. I AM THE FPI COMPUTER. SAY IT TO MY FACE YOU COWARDS. YOU LOVED ME AT THE END OF LAST YEAR. BEEP BEEP BOOP.

Reactions: The-Hack
Really like.McElroy's take.....gotta prove ten win seasons are a new norm, but they will play hard and be a tough out.

I'm one of those that has waited a long time to hear the phrases play hard and.play tough consistently associated with UK football.

Just a note to media analysts.....you may want to really listen to what coaches say about playing UK. Don't think you see just a whole lotta disrespect from the coaching staff...and none are happy when their.players make locker room bulletin board statements.

Reactions: ryanbruner
Did I say the definition of the word was incorrect?? No. If you read what I said, societal references to the word such as how you were using it because you know exactly what ignorance you were trying to spout, have created the disdain towards the use of said political reference.

So you’re going to call names and bash over a conversation? Don’t be a one of those Ryan, it’s unbecoming.

I do think the mediocre predictions for our season are warranted considering our defensive personnel losses and the loss of Benny. I like Wilson and hope he takes a big step, but he didnt do anything that leaves media pundits impressed with his play. He just basically managed the game. I think he'll be much better but media guys have to go on what they see. Add that in with the fact that its year 2 for Mullen, South Carolina is a veteran group, Missouri is the same and we were fortunate to beat Vandy last year and UT dominated us in a down year for them.

Its understandable.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
I can see your point, but query: Why did the FPI actually go up one game for this year over last?
Because we had a brand new QB, Josh had 7 sacks the year before and the secondary was a returning sieve that gave up ridiculous yardage.
FPI said UK would suck last year. This Year FPI says UK will be pretty bad with a shot at mediocrity.
Maybe next year if UK wins 8 including a bowl FPI will have the team at below average with a shot at halfway decent.

I do think the mediocre predictions for our season are warranted considering our defensive personnel losses and the loss of Benny. I like Wilson and hope he takes a big step, but he didnt do anything that leaves media pundits impressed with his play. He just basically managed the game. I think he'll be much better but media guys have to go on what they see. Add that in with the fact that its year 2 for Mullen, South Carolina is a veteran group, Missouri is the same and we were fortunate to beat Vandy last year and UT dominated us in a down year for them.

Its understandable.

Are you willing to bet that they are right? I have a few dollars to lose. :)

Heres a little advice about computers, garbage in, garbage out.

Make all your jokes about computers now to your own future peril. Once Skynet takes over there will be a culling. All hail our AI overlords!

...except for ESPN's. It sucks.

Are you willing to bet that they are right? I have a few dollars to lose. :)

Im not saying they are right, but from a media prediction standpoint its hard to predict more for us until its proven again..maybe not 10 wins but 8-4 would be a great response to last season. At times (quite often actually) our offense was pretty bad last year and unable to move the ball effectively. We were one of the worst offenses in D-1 football and have been for the past few years. Its a total team effort and we win games that way, but it would be nice to see our offense take the next this year.

In my opinion, attempting to predict season records preseason for football teams by media that have to follow all teams is a fools errand, and for the most part worthless. Even people that closely follow one particular program frequently miss the mark. We have members here that follow the program every day, and know every intricate detail of the depth chart, who is performing well in practice, where the strengths and weaknesses lie, etc. but how many predicted 10 wins last year? If people that focus that hard on one team can't get it right how can someone who is trying to analyze 130 teams possible do better?

At best if you follow a team very closely you may be able to identify if the team is being over-valued or under-valued, but most of the time it's neither. I do think there is some pretty good arguments that would point to Kentucky being under-valued this year by the media and Vegas. In the end no on really knows what will happen.

These preseason predictions are for most part just click bait.

WJOX in Birmingham is saying they think we win 8 games this season and making fun of this very ESPN deal. One dumbarse is saying they think we only win 5. The other guys say the absolute worst case for us is 6-6...7 or 8 is what they expect. Potentially more if the toss ups fall our way, we dont do what we usually do v UT, etc.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
In my opinion, attempting to predict season records preseason for football teams by media that have to follow all teams is a fools errand, and for the most part worthless. Even people that closely follow one particular program frequently miss the mark. We have members here that follow the program every day, and know every intricate detail of the depth chart, who is performing well in practice, where the strengths and weaknesses lie, etc. but how many predicted 10 wins last year? If people that focus that hard on one team can't get it right how can someone who is trying to analyze 130 teams possible do better?

At best if you follow a team very closely you may be able to identify if the team is being over-valued or under-valued, but most of the time it's neither. I do think there is some pretty good arguments that would point to Kentucky being under-valued this year by the media and Vegas. In the end no on really knows what will happen.

We were about as close to 12 wins last year as we were to 8 wins, both were about equally possible based on the scores.and the fact that we should have beat Thug U. What a golden opportunity to shove them farther down in the mud, I will always regret that loss.

Good post! Agree about writers, pundits and fans and their pre-season predictions.

But, FWIW, there are some people who make their living making numbers about the outcome of a game...or games. FWIW, the early win total lines have UK at 6 or 6.5 wins. I don't like win total bets but if playing I would go over. Me versus them. [winking]

Peace

Im not saying they are right, but from a media prediction standpoint its hard to predict more for us until its proven again..maybe not 10 wins but 8-4 would be a great response to last season. At times (quite often actually) our offense was pretty bad last year and unable to move the ball effectively. We were one of the worst offenses in D-1 football and have been for the past few years. Its a total team effort and we win games that way, but it would be nice to see our offense take the next this year.

Hopefully especially with Terry, with him having a year under his belt and healthy I think we see the offense improve. I’m banking that last year our depth has gotten even better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT