ADVERTISEMENT

Eric Wolford back to UK as OL coach

Seems slimy the way he left, but the way people blamed him for on field stuff didn't make sense. I love this staff, but they will throw people under the bus to their KSR buddies.

He didn't rotate enough? We did that one year, when we had some very talented young players. After that, we had just as short a line as any one else

Maggard went on a really unfair rant once. You know what his complaint was. How dare Jagr Burton be redshirted when he was destined to be only a 3 year player before declaring for the draft. Bwhahahahahaha.

This negative blaming just got blown up into he was the worst coach ever and poor Yinser was having to clean up his mistakes. Surprised he's coming back.

Well, I guess we'll see if Yenser was making strides as a coach (the OL did perform better this past year - not outstanding but better) compared to Wolford's group. Pretty large difference in established recruiting ability, though. Wolford >> Yenser in that department. I wonder if EW will be a one-and-done, landing at UK after the surprising retirement of Saban many just be a stopping off point. I hope he coaches the players up. Not sure what kind of job he did at Bama as their OL was not up to standard. But, I did see some improvement as the season wore on so perhaps it wasn't just EW but the players getting better, more in tune, etc.

Reactions: Soupbean
Fascinating. Yenser got a new contract in Dec! Will he accept being kicked off field, in an analysis role?

I heartily applaud this. Guys on our staff good enough to be hired away by Bama are few & far between over 12 yrs. A bold move by Stoops very much outside his comfort zone.

Now go hire Clink as co-DC!!!!

WOW!!!

Stoops must have gotten tired of Yenser’s lack of recruiting and teaching. However, Bama’s O-Line was not at their normal level this past season. But Wolford has A LOT of great recruiting ties.
Some of that is Alabama is still going with just get the biggest guys they can when the game requires a little more nimbleness now in the trenches. They had the biggest OL in d1. I suspect that changes with the new coach

I don’t know how often I’ve read on here he was responsible for the offensive woes two years ago. Wolford is the Nashville guy so we definitely need someone on that.

Pretty shocking. Not sure how I feel about it. On one hand he's an upgrade. On another do you really want someone that literally changed jerseys in the middle of a recruiting visit and have you the massive screw job?

Maybe it's just me but continuity and especially respect means alot. I can't imagine taking someone back after that, especially knowing he's probably only interested because he was without a job and everyone saw his center spend all season struggling to snap the ball.

Pretty shocking. Not sure how I feel about it. On one hand he's an upgrade. On another do you really want someone that literally changed jerseys in the middle of a recruiting visit and have you the massive screw job?

Maybe it's just me but continuity and especially respect means alot. I can't imagine taking someone back after that, especially knowing he's probably only interested because he was without a job and everyone saw his center spend all season struggling to snap the ball.
Preach

Who's O line played better for Coen....2021 or 2023!?!? That is kind of a silly conclusion to draw.

So is Wofford bringing Tommy Rees to call the plays???

In terms of coaching ability, I'm not sure Wolford is much of an improvement over Yenser. It seems our OL play under Wolford fell off from where it was at under Schlarman. And I haven't been overly impressed by his lines at Alabama considering the top talent he's had to work with there. But he is at least an excellent recruiter with ties to areas we need to be able to recruit. So overall, he's definitely a major step-up from Yenser.

Now we need to find a way to bring Clink back now that Harbaugh is gone from Michigan. He is an excellent DB's coach and an ace recruiter. If we need to make him Co-DC and offer a big boost in pay, so be it! We've got to upgrade to higher quality assistants.

In terms of coaching ability, I'm not sure Wolford is much of an improvement over Yenser. It seems our OL play under Wolford fell off from where it was at under Schlarman. And I haven't been overly impressed by his lines at Alabama considering the top talent he's had to work with there. But he is at least an excellent recruiter with ties to areas we need to be able to recruit. So overall, he's definitely a major step-up from Yenser.

Now we need to find a way to bring Clink back now that Harbaugh is gone from Michigan. He is an excellent DB's coach and an ace recruiter. If we need to make him Co-DC and offer a big boost in pay, so be it! We've got to upgrade to higher quality assistants.
I mean I guess you could argue that Wolfe had Schlarmans players his first year but he had top 5 unit up front that year. I’m the two years with yenser they haven’t even been close to that. So he has to be a little better than yenser. Plus he is a much better recruiter.

And Wolford leaving like a thief in the night was also a business decision. Doesn’t make them ethical business decisions. You know Yenser was blinded sided by this. UK has to eat that extension too.
Most assistance don’t have buyouts in their contracts. He may get some sort of severance but I don’t think it will hurt the pockets too bad.

Reactions: sefus12
The only reason Wilford got the blame was because everyone was upset with how he left and because it was in the light of coach’s death. He was here for one season lol

Reactions: R.O.T.Muckinfush
Where's K-Time? He's been a very vocal proponent of showing Yenser the door (not that I disagreed, of course). Figured he'd jump all over this announcement.
1 I don't love Wolford....mainly because he left like such a prick....but how can we not agree he was better coach and/or recruiter than Yenser? At least at his time with UK? Bama time was hard call but we need to remember had a good stint at USC and solid job at west before then
2 Here is my thoughts on the comparison of Yenter/Wolford

- On field teacher....how is Yenser better teacher than Wolford? Yenser lone example of coaching up a player was Jeremy Flax Sr year (his Jr year as abysmal)....maybe Dylan Ray as a walkon this year.
- Did Horsey or Eli Cox have a better 1 year with Wolford vs. 2 years (and older) with Yenser?
- The 2021 team....Kinnard was a stud before then...but Fortner had never played C, Horsey that was his best season, Eli Cox never played (and that was his best season) and Dare Rosenthal we got on transfer....but he was solid that year (and dude wasn't as good as LSU before...and never sniffed NFL...so it's not like he was an amazing Oline). We rushed for 2500 yards...averaged 5.3 yards per rush in 2021...27 rush TDs...Levis threw for 3000 yards and 24 passing TDs and put up 32 pts a game.

- You can't even bring up the 2022 offense...worse offense since year 1 of Stoops....utter garbage.

- The 2023 team....Had to portal shop to get Marques Cox, Horsey/Ray guard (decent), Cox Center (decent but not good ), Jager was below average guard and Flax was really good at tackle. We rushed for 1600 yards...averaged 4.9 yards per rush...18 rush TDs....Leary threw for 2700 yards and 25 passing TDs...putting up 29 pts a game.

3. We hear about developing players and destroying the Schlarman BBW tradition of rotating in guys and killing teams. I agree Wolford developed nobody...and you can argue that hurt Yenser the next year. But when did Yenser ever rotate in OL and develop them any more? He didn't play the OLine depth any better than Wolford. He played 5 guys about the same as Wolford.

In the end, I think people are miffed (and rightfully so) at the way Wolford left UK. But when you put down your anger....he is hands down better coach then Yenser. And this is without saying a peep about how awful Yenser is at recruiting....

So all in all, I'm fine with the move. Wish we could get better than Wolford...but he's better than Yenser.

Wonder if Bama has any lineman in the portal? We could still probably use another lineman for depth.

1 I don't love Wolford....mainly because he left like such a prick....but how can we not agree he was better coach and/or recruiter than Yenser? At least at his time with UK? Bama time was hard call but we need to remember had a good stint at USC and solid job at west before then
2 Here is my thoughts on the comparison of Yenter/Wolford

- On field teacher....how is Yenser better teacher than Wolford? Yenser lone example of coaching up a player was Jeremy Flax Sr year (his Jr year as abysmal)....maybe Dylan Ray as a walkon this year.
- Did Horsey or Eli Cox have a better 1 year with Wolford vs. 2 years (and older) with Yenser?
- The 2021 team....Kinnard was a stud before then...but Fortner had never played C, Horsey that was his best season, Eli Cox never played (and that was his best season) and Dare Rosenthal we got on transfer....but he was solid that year (and dude wasn't as good as LSU before...and never sniffed NFL...so it's not like he was an amazing Oline). We rushed for 2500 yards...averaged 5.3 yards per rush in 2021...27 rush TDs...Levis threw for 3000 yards and 24 passing TDs and put up 32 pts a game.

- You can't even bring up the 2022 offense...worse offense since year 1 of Stoops....utter garbage.

- The 2023 team....Had to portal shop to get Marques Cox, Horsey/Ray guard (decent), Cox Center (decent but not good ), Jager was below average guard and Flax was really good at tackle. We rushed for 1600 yards...averaged 4.9 yards per rush...18 rush TDs....Leary threw for 2700 yards and 25 passing TDs...putting up 29 pts a game.

3. We hear about developing players and destroying the Schlarman BBW tradition of rotating in guys and killing teams. I agree Wolford developed nobody...and you can argue that hurt Yenser the next year. But when did Yenser ever rotate in OL and develop them any more? He didn't play the OLine depth any better than Wolford. He played 5 guys about the same as Wolford.

In the end, I think people are miffed (and rightfully so) at the way Wolford left UK. But when you put down your anger....he is hands down better coach then Yenser. And this is without saying a peep about how awful Yenser is at recruiting....

So all in all, I'm fine with the move. Wish we could get better than Wolford...but he's better than Yenser.
Ahh a voice of reason. Completely agree

And Wolford leaving like a thief in the night was also a business decision. Doesn’t make them ethical business decisions. You know Yenser was blinded sided by this. UK has to eat that extension too.

Yep. It's definitely a risk to hire someone that bolted so unprofessionally. Wrecking that LT transfer recruiting target on his way out killed our OL the next season. If course if dare doesn't leave a year early, which also cost him an NFL career, we aren't in that position either.

One thing that can't be ignored is stoops really reversing an entire career's worth of culture the last few years. He built UK on blue collar, physical, family like continuity. The last 12 months he traded all that for some very short term hires that might not make it more than one year before leaving.

Jmo it could be a sign that stoops tenure here is nearing and end and he's mortgaging the farm to get the best few years he can.

Probably a solid move. Good recruiter.

Also goes to show you the narratives fed to us by UK media are mostly BS. Remember when all of the staff was supposedly furious at Wofford for how he left?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT