ADVERTISEMENT

Eric Wolford back to UK as OL coach

Yep. It's definitely a risk to hire someone that bolted so unprofessionally. Wrecking that LT transfer recruiting target on his way out killed our OL the next season. If course if dare doesn't leave a year early, which also cost him an NFL career, we aren't in that position either.

One thing that can't be ignored is stoops really reversing an entire career's worth of culture the last few years. He built UK on blue collar, physical, family like continuity. The last 12 months he traded all that for some very short term hires that might not make it more than one year before leaving.

Jmo it could be a sign that stoops tenure here is nearing and end and he's mortgaging the farm to get the best few years he can.
Agree with this. Hopefully next season will be his last.

At his intro press conference, do you think any of the local media will have the onions to ask any questions about the manner in which he left us the first time ?

You run a business, do you keep the guy that makes you $250k a year in revenue or do you bring in the guy that makes you $1.5m a year in revenue.

Maybe that's all Stoops really cares about in his football mentality right now. He knows he better do everything he can to keep UK moving forward in a deeper and more competitive SEC. Status quo could easily move UK back to SEC doormat status.

1 I don't love Wolford....mainly because he left like such a prick....but how can we not agree he was better coach and/or recruiter than Yenser? At least at his time with UK? Bama time was hard call but we need to remember had a good stint at USC and solid job at west before then
2 Here is my thoughts on the comparison of Yenter/Wolford

- On field teacher....how is Yenser better teacher than Wolford? Yenser lone example of coaching up a player was Jeremy Flax Sr year (his Jr year as abysmal)....maybe Dylan Ray as a walkon this year.
- Did Horsey or Eli Cox have a better 1 year with Wolford vs. 2 years (and older) with Yenser?
- The 2021 team....Kinnard was a stud before then...but Fortner had never played C, Horsey that was his best season, Eli Cox never played (and that was his best season) and Dare Rosenthal we got on transfer....but he was solid that year (and dude wasn't as good as LSU before...and never sniffed NFL...so it's not like he was an amazing Oline). We rushed for 2500 yards...averaged 5.3 yards per rush in 2021...27 rush TDs...Levis threw for 3000 yards and 24 passing TDs and put up 32 pts a game.

- You can't even bring up the 2022 offense...worse offense since year 1 of Stoops....utter garbage.

- The 2023 team....Had to portal shop to get Marques Cox, Horsey/Ray guard (decent), Cox Center (decent but not good ), Jager was below average guard and Flax was really good at tackle. We rushed for 1600 yards...averaged 4.9 yards per rush...18 rush TDs....Leary threw for 2700 yards and 25 passing TDs...putting up 29 pts a game.

3. We hear about developing players and destroying the Schlarman BBW tradition of rotating in guys and killing teams. I agree Wolford developed nobody...and you can argue that hurt Yenser the next year. But when did Yenser ever rotate in OL and develop them any more? He didn't play the OLine depth any better than Wolford. He played 5 guys about the same as Wolford.

In the end, I think people are miffed (and rightfully so) at the way Wolford left UK. But when you put down your anger....he is hands down better coach then Yenser. And this is without saying a peep about how awful Yenser is at recruiting....

So all in all, I'm fine with the move. Wish we could get better than Wolford...but he's better than Yenser.
If you extrapolate Levis' numbers, his passing numbers were nearly identical from 2021 to 2022. He played in 13 games in 2021 vs. 11 in 2022, so you have to project his numbers out to 13 games to reach that conclusion. Where the biggest and most obvious dropoff occurred was with his rushing numbers and sacks, 22 sacks in 2021 vs. 36 sacks in two fewer games in 2022. 107 rushes in 2021 for 376 yards (despite 22 sacks) vs. 72 rushes for MINUS 107 yards, again in two fewer games. The jury is still out on if that was an issue with Yenser or Scangrillo, my take is some of both but more of Scangrillo taking away Levis' ability to run. I'm not sure if that was more to protect Levis or just a product of the system and the line being atrocious. I have to think Stoops is trying to recreate that 2022 offense and with Wolford coming available, he had to get that tandem of him and Coen back together. Have to think Coen might have had a say in that too. Maybe it was a stipulation for him to stick around and stop looking. (just pure speculation on my part there).

Reactions: screwduke1
my question is who will we get to coach the O-line when he bolts to Michigan next week? Can't be trusted.

Exactly. And now stoops is building a reputation of burning guys because he burned two soon as better options came open.

If you're an up and coming coach, where UK really made hay with stoops, why would you risk your career going to a place where you might get fired in he middle of the night when a better option comes available?

This move is a very short term gain with some long game consequences. That's what makes me think stoops doesn't plan on a long game at UK. Whether that means retirement or something else, whatever it is won't involve UK.

I didn’t think the players were a big fan of Wolford from the little I remember hearing. Seemed like the way he carried himself in general rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Surprised Stoops brining him back but if they were tight and possibly Coen wanted a change maybe he’s just trying anything at this point.

Reactions: K_TIME
I didn’t think the players were a big fan of Wolford from the little I remember hearing. Seemed like the way he carried himself in general rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Surprised Stoops brining him back but if they were tight and possibly Coen wanted a change maybe he’s just trying anything at this point.

Was the position ever posted?

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Exactly. And now stoops is building a reputation of burning guys because he burned two soon as better options came open.
oh holy shit dude, expand your viewpoint and look around CFB. Look what Kirby did to Muschamp to hire Tavares Robinson. Look how Ryan Day EMASCULATED Hsrtline & his QB coach to hire Bill OB.

If anything, with staff moves Stoops "reputation" is hiring friends & families. Of keeping guys far to long who aren't cutting it in recruiting. Like Wolford or not, but this move is more in line with big-time serous football programs....and not typical of Stoops or Kentucky. And I for one welcome this aggressive mindset!!!

Giving Yenser 2 yrs ain't *burning* in this business, bub. Again, look around, power 4 conferences fire assistant coaches after only *one* year all the freaking time.

Who even is the 2nd guy besides Yenser who you think was "burned"? Scan?

Sure, and my hope is that the media shows some class instead of trying to re open old wounds.
Everybody has a job to do. I was fine with him going to Alabama and improving his situation. I'm also good with the media busting his balls for doing it. Its not their job to make him feel good about himself.

oh holy shit dude, expand your viewpoint and look around CFB. Look what Kirby did to Muschamp to hire Tavares Robinson. Look how Ryan Day EMASCULATED Hsrtline & his QB coach to hire Bill OB.

If anything, with staff moves Stoops "reputation" is hiring friends & families. Of keeping guys far to long who aren't cutting it in recruiting. Like Wolford or not, but this move is more in line with big-time serous football programs....and not typical of Stoops or Kentucky. And I for one welcome this aggressive mindset!!!

Giving Yenser 2 yrs ain't *burning* in this business, bub. Again, look around, power 4 conferences fire assistant coaches after only *one* year all the freaking time.

Who even is the 2nd guy besides Yenser who you think was "burned"? Scan?

We aren't Georgia and we aren't dominating college football. Guys are lining up to coach there like the Saban days of bama. If we were, of course the view would be different.

Any analysis that starts with it's ok because Georgia does it is just a flawed viewpoint. We aren't Georgia and we aren't even close.

Well, I guess we'll see if Yenser was making strides as a coach (the OL did perform better this past year - not outstanding but better) compared to Wolford's group. Pretty large difference in established recruiting ability, though. Wolford >> Yenser in that department. I wonder if EW will be a one-and-done, landing at UK after the surprising retirement of Saban many just be a stopping off point. I hope he coaches the players up. Not sure what kind of job he did at Bama as their OL was not up to standard. But, I did see some improvement as the season wore on so perhaps it wasn't just EW but the players getting better, more in tune, etc.
I'm still not sold on Wolford as a coach but willing to see what he does with this group. Bama's line did get better as the year went on, some of that was due to the fact they changed from having Milroe work from the pocket to letting him take off earlier instead of hanging in the pocket looking for second and third options.

But he clearly had some success along the line getting to this point so its on him now to show us what he can do. But am kind of on your side thinking this may be a layover stop for him in his career and short lived.

If you extrapolate Levis' numbers, his passing numbers were nearly identical from 2021 to 2022. He played in 13 games in 2021 vs. 11 in 2022, so you have to project his numbers out to 13 games to reach that conclusion. Where the biggest and most obvious dropoff occurred was with his rushing numbers and sacks, 22 sacks in 2021 vs. 36 sacks in two fewer games in 2022. 107 rushes in 2021 for 376 yards (despite 22 sacks) vs. 72 rushes for MINUS 107 yards, again in two fewer games. The jury is still out on if that was an issue with Yenser or Scangrillo, my take is some of both but more of Scangrillo taking away Levis' ability to run. I'm not sure if that was more to protect Levis or just a product of the system and the line being atrocious. I have to think Stoops is trying to recreate that 2022 offense and with Wolford coming available, he had to get that tandem of him and Coen back together. Have to think Coen might have had a say in that too. Maybe it was a stipulation for him to stick around and stop looking. (just pure speculation on my part there).
Scan discouraging Levis running was the big issue IMO. You know how I feel about this subject. In college football a QBs ability to use his feet to make big plays and break the backs of defenses is the single biggest difference maker in the game today. And it was a mistake to try and squelch that Levis last year. These guys get hurt more easily standing in a pocket where they never see hits coming and people falling in to them more than they do running where the can brace for hits. And its just such a huge weapon the trade off is bad.

I've been one of the biggest "I trust Stoops" guys on this board, but piss on this decision. Wolford can eat possum turds and wind sprint his happy ass across campus until the cows come home.

I don't care if he's a better recruiter and developer of talent. The latter hasn't even been proven, IMO. Any recruiting he does in 2024 goes down the porcelain throne this time next year when he bolts for Clemson or some crap.

Stoops could've done better by his team and his team's fans. We needed a new OL coach, but to rehire the guy who made a mockery of Schlarman's post just leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Man, what a slap in the nuts.

Luke Fortner thought very highly of him, FWIW.

Luke Fortner thought very highly of him, FWIW.

That was what came out after he was rehired. But I very clearly recall after he left there being the message that no one liked him and guys were glad he was gone.

I'm not sure which is true, because it seems both times it was a pr spin

I've been one of the biggest "I trust Stoops" guys on this board, but piss on this decision. Wolford can eat possum turds and wind sprint his happy ass across campus until the cows come home.

I don't care if he's a better recruiter and developer of talent. The latter hasn't even been proven, IMO. Any recruiting he does in 2024 goes down the porcelain throne this time next year when he bolts for Clemson or some crap.

Stoops could've done better by his team and his team's fans. We needed a new OL coach, but to rehire the guy who made a mockery of Schlarman's post just leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Man, what a slap in the nuts.
Totally agree.

Reactions: JPFisher

That was funny as hell good post.

Reactions: JPFisher
We aren't Georgia and we aren't dominating college football. Guys are lining up to coach there like the Saban days of bama. If we were, of course the view would be different.

Any analysis that starts with it's ok because Georgia does it is just a flawed viewpoint. We aren't Georgia and we aren't even close.

Muschamp is not comparing apples to apples. He got roughly 30m in buyouts from 2 failed head coaching gigs. Muschamp, Bobo and Kirby are all long time buddies. But Muschamp has a son who just signed with Vandy and he wants to see him play if he gets on the field, wasn't happening if he was an on the field coach. So they went after one of Muschamps buddies who was with him at UF and South Carolina. Kirby didn't fo anything to Muschamp other than make a compromise to keep him on staff because he wanted to watch his son's college career, he missed his HS career because he was at Baylor in Chattanooga.

Muschamp is not comparing apples to apples. He got roughly 30m in buyouts from 2 failed head coaching gigs. Muschamp, Bobo and Kirby are all long time buddies. But Muschamp has a son who just signed with Vandy and he wants to see him play if he gets on the field, wasn't happening if he was an on the field coach. So they went after one of Muschamps buddies who was with him at UF and South Carolina. Kirby didn't fo anything to Muschamp other than make a compromise to keep him on staff because he wanted to watch his son's college career, he missed his HS career because he was at Baylor in Chattanooga.
Saw Muschamp's kid in TN state champ game, nice potential as a game manager type QB. He's not a 5* but has enough talent to eventually contribute. Will be interesting watching him develop.

Plus you're Georgia. Winning titles nearly every year means something. It's we want to be but we aren't even close. So because Georgia can do something doesn't mean we can.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Saw Muschamp's kid in TN state champ game, nice potential as a game manager type QB. He's not a 5* but has enough talent to eventually contribute. Will be interesting watching him develop.

Vanfy picked up a 2nd QB or maybe a portal guy. So will have to work for it. Vandy doesn't get many 5* guys,.

On December 1 Coen liked a tweet that said “Not a better family in football than the Wolford family!” The post was about the things the family has done to support their special needs son.

Courtney Love, Vince Marrow and Anwar Stewart also liked the post. So at least some of the staff were not as pissed as you guys seem to be at Wolford

Vanfy picked up a 2nd QB or maybe a portal guy. So will have to work for it. Vandy doesn't get many 5* guys,.
OT: That TN private school SC game was Muschamp's Baylor squad vs McCallie, won by McCallie in an excellent HS game. Vandy also signed the McCallie QB, Jeremy St Hilaire, who was the MVP of that game. He's bigger than Muschamp. Their portal guy comes from NM St and is actually a nice player, guess he'll be the QB while Muschamp/St Hilaire grow into the position.

Yenser will probably have a similar job market to Scangarello. None. No interest on account of being a bad coach. He will make 650k to sit at the house this year so nobody should feel bad for him.
When last seen Scang was spotted working with Caleb Williams as Williams prepares for the NFL draft.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
On December 1 Coen liked a tweet that said “Not a better family in football than the Wolford family!” The post was about the things the family has done to support their special needs son.

Courtney Love, Vince Marrow and Anwar Stewart also liked the post. So at least some of the staff were not as pissed as you guys seem to be at Wolford
Coaches have to play politics in this situation. I can be a grumpy turd. No offense to grumpy folks, @Grumpyolddawg

Reactions: UKfirst
Yenser will probably have a similar job market to Scangarello. None. No interest on account of being a bad coach. He will make 650k to sit at the house this year so nobody should feel bad for him.

When last seen Scang was spotted working with Caleb Williams as Williams prepares for the NFL draft.

Yep. Scang is a top tier QB coach for sure. Fans never gave him a fair shake because he wasn't as charismatic as coen. Coen is better make no mistake, but scang was definitely more than adequate

Reactions: mrschwump
Stoops cutting Yenser's throat a month after giving him a contract extension, mere days after Yenser was on the road visiting '25 recruits is the kind of brutal bottom line winning-is-all-that-matters attitude he needs now. 16 team SEC, no divisions, Oklahoma and Texas are here, UL buying as many mercenaries as will take their cash.

Stoops was more negatively impacted by Wolford's act Feb 2022 than any of us. And if he can forgive/forget, why can't we?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT