ADVERTISEMENT

Empty seats sending UK a message?

Anyone that chooses to do so, can look back and review this thread. You reference kneeling several times. It is the theme to many of your posts in most threads. You are like Michael Scott of The Office, "you just start talking and dont know where you are going" and dont remember what was said..

You say, " do not assume you know things about me".
The only thing I know about you is that you talk about kneeling a lot and you do not like Cal. That about covers it. I dont care to know more. You are not very interesting.
Show me where I said kneeling. Show me. You think you have some sort of supernatural insight, You don't. At all.
Seems you were pegged earlier in this thread. You don't like an opposing view that's not in line with yours.
You said I do not like Cal. That is a complete lie. You're a liar.
Petty and childish posts like this one reveals how immature and dishonest you are. Couldn't handle the discussion so you had to get personal.
Very typical..... :D :D :D :D :D

Who knows. What if that game was a home game instead of a neutral game and we lost it? Or even if we won it, it wouldn't have counted as much as if it had been on the road or neutral court

In the grand scheme of things would it have moved us down a seed line? Maybe. Maybe not. Who knows.
you have some good points but I don't subscribe to this idea of Cal saying we need to play neutral games in big arenas to prepare for the NCAA tournament. You know what would make a team tough? Go to Indiana and beat their ass at home. Stand on the IU logo with the fans booing and losing their minds popping your jersey after you delivered a 15 point thumping to them. That's a team that is going to take another teams heart and will to play in a tournament. I know people are going to tell me about the rushing the court thing and its dangerous, etc. Its not like IU fans are gang beating teams that go to their arena.

That's the value of the home and away series. We get the home game one year for the fans , the away game for the learning experience, the dealing with the hostile crowd, taking that gut punch at the start of facing a team playing you on pure adrenaline.

Plus, the SEC tournament is a great opportunity to have the team prepped for the big tournament environment as far as arenas goes.

I supported Cal when he said we need to play big arenas, I supported Cal when (for the most part) he said we need to schedule easy teams at home. But there was no pay off. That loss to Evansville and I was like, nope, this ain't working. All its done is hurt UK and created lack of fan interest in for Rupp. I think we are past time thinking about ways to generate fan interest in the program.

And yes, its borderline stupid to raise ticket prices to play teams no one wants to see. Easily remedied if they wanted to address it. Lower prices or put teams in Rupp that fans want to see. People say its not rocket science, I agree

certainly drumming up local interest would help

UC, Dayton, Eastern Ky, NKU, , I said Murray St, already, Belmont....

I always wanted a 4 team invitational with UC/UL/IU and Notre Dame

I just don't see how some local KY teams, that aren't really much better competition than the games we're playing, is going to change the turnout.. And if it does, is it just adding more fans from local schools? Is that really better? 1,500 more fans in the uppers, to play Belmont instead of Lehigh? I guess if you're alum, but I don't think it moves the needle.

I think if you want to FULLY pack the house, and make it actually hard to get tickets.. it needs to be top50 competition.. maybe even ranked.

I like the last idea, well enough, at least.. but where is it played? Sounds like it would be neutral. We'd have to schedule UC and ND as a home and home.

Anyone that chooses to do so, can look back and review this thread. You reference kneeling several times. It is the theme to many of your posts in most threads. You are like Michael Scott of The Office, "you just start talking and dont know where you are going" and dont remember what was said..

You say, " do not assume you know things about me".
The only thing I know about you is that you talk about kneeling a lot and you do not like Cal. That about covers it. I dont care to know more. You are not very interesting.
Excellent post

Also, and I'll continue to post this.. the vast majority of major schools aren't playing tough competition at home. I detailed this in another thread. I have no real idea why they are doing this, but it's factual.

So is this a Cal thing? Or a "state of college basketball" thing? And you might say something like, "we're Kentucky, we're different".. and that's fine. But what's the next coach going to do, then? If no one else is scheduling tough games, I don't see him bucking that trend. Bet now, the next coach doesn't do anything more than add an additional Home/Home.. maybe bring back the IU series..

Sounds to me like coaches have figured that in some way, it's not worth it to have a tough OOC slate, fan output taking a 10% cut be damned, and there willing to take that trade off.

I just don't see how some local KY teams, that aren't really much better competition than the games we're playing, is going to change the turnout.. And if it does, is it just adding more fans from local schools? Is that really better? 1,500 more fans in the uppers, to play Belmont instead of Lehigh? I guess if you're alum, but I don't think it moves the needle.

I think if you want to FULLY pack the house, and make it actually hard to get tickets.. it needs to be top50 competition.. maybe even ranked.

I like the last idea, well enough, at least.. but where is it played? Sounds like it would be neutral. We'd have to schedule UC and ND as a home and home.
its not so much about better competition although ostensibly fans would see it that way, its about playing teams that fans want to see on the court against Kentucky. Belmont may be a stretch because its small but its Nashville, and just like any Kentucky university there are number of UK fans that go there for various reasons. They are just a media darling for having a reputation of always being a good basketball school - and really , that's the formula

UK fans won't really care if that current version of the school is good , hell, we don't want them too good but we want teams that excite the fans about seeing them in Rupp. The perception they are good enough to beat us, but in the end, UK will win and our place in national pantheon of college basketball is secure

Ok so that was laying it on heavy but Mt. Saint Mary's? yea, I'm gonna get up for that.

Also, and I'll continue to post this.. the vast majority of major schools aren't playing tough competition at home. I detailed this in another thread. I have no real idea why they are doing this, but it's factual.

So is this a Cal thing? Or a "state of college basketball" thing? And you might say something like, "we're Kentucky, we're different".. and that's fine. But what's the next coach going to do, then? If no one else is scheduling tough games, I don't see him bucking that trend. Bet now, the next coach doesn't do anything more than add an additional Home/Home.. maybe bring back the IU series..

Sounds to me like coaches have figured that in some way, it's not worth it to have a tough OOC slate, fan output taking a 10% cut be damned, and there willing to take that trade off.
for different reasons, I feel like this started with two schools primarily

Duke and Syracuse

Duke was well known years past for playing no one until January, loaded up with cupcakes and having a gaudy win/loss record. Thats why you always heard about these nonsensical records - 27 straight non conference home wins, etc. Syracuse was notorious for never playing on a road until after Xmas.

It worked for Duke - they would be nationally ranked with like an 11-0 record before their first lost and they could absorb that loss and still stay in the top 10 because everyone else already had 1 or 2 losses.

One can debate on whether either approach actually improved the team in terms of being prepared to make a title run. Certainly a higher seed as a result helped.

might not be a big deal if its 10% fan cut, if that stays static. That is dependent on their approach working and getting results. Continue to not get results and its a double edge sword. Not only does fan participation drop but you get fired in 2 years.

Reactions: Catfan2226
If fans are staying away due to the schedule then stop playing in the classic events and schedule a home and road date if you can get top tier teams to play.I mean schedule Gonzaga and Villanova.Play one at Rupp and one on the road in a season and then next season rotate it....change teams out after 2 years...top teams just dont overload the non conference schedule anymore.Ita all about RPI and seeding and losses cost positioning unless your a few schools that regardless of record will get higher seeds.

More people would go if tickets weren’t so outrageously stupid and expensive.

It’ll still be packed for big OOC games and most all SEC games though.
Do not know what y’all charge for tickets but according to the game it costs between 700.00 to a 1000.00 to go to a Duke game when you consider motel bills,tickets,etc.You also have to be masked and proof of vaccination.It is simply not worth the cost and aggravation when you can sit in the comfort of your home to watch

Show me where I said kneeling. Show me. You think you have some sort of supernatural insight, You don't. At all.
Seems you were pegged earlier in this thread. You don't like an opposing view that's not in line with yours.
You said I do not like Cal. That is a complete lie. You're a liar.
Petty and childish posts like this one reveals how immature and dishonest you are. Couldn't handle the discussion so you had to get personal.
Very typical..... :D :D :D :D :D
Immature, dishonest and a liar because I reminded you of your own words. That is some crazy stuff. Have a good day.

Immature, dishonest and a liar because I reminded you of your own words. That is some crazy stuff. Have a good day.
Nope...but you are all of the above.

Still waiting for you to show where I mentioned kneeling. If I do it so much, should be easy. Show me where I said I don't like Cal. Go ahead.

Reactions: KFuqua
Nope...but you are all of the above.

Still waiting for you to show where I mentioned kneeling. If I do it so much, should be easy. Show me where I said I don't like Cal. Go ahead.
Go back and read your own words. You reference kneeling many times and in many threads.

Reactions: Ed323232
apparently alot of people don't.

The following rant isn't directed at you Nbacats, I'm just using your quote as a springboard.

ticket prices, TV size, etc have nothing to do with me personally not attending games.

I have zero connection to the team. I couldn't name all the players on the team at the moment. That doesn't make me a bad fan. I was all in on the OAD when the idea was there would be 2 - 3 obvious superstars on the team that would be game changers to the program in the little time they spent here. I was invested in them as a fan because of their immediate impact to the program.

Now - really, who GAF about Brandon Boston? He did nothing here and bolted. 5 years from now I'm willing to bet 90% of the fans won't be able to tell you what year he played. Would I be invested in him as a player if he came back? improved? dedicated himself to the program and acted like it meant something to be at Kentucky other than a fast track to the NBA? Absolutely I would. And the problem is we've been fed a steady diet of Brandon Boston level players here for 5 years with Cal happily telling us he doesn't GAF about what the fans want , and a good portion of the fans saying it doesn't matter.

It does matter.

we've rationalized away so much to support Calipari's approach to basketball

November/December games don't matter
Players not returning and transferring doesn't matter
All time wins doesn't matter
Home advantage at Rupp / Sold out games doesn't matter
Kentucky high school players don't matter
SEC tournament doesn't matter
Indiana series doesn't matter
I'll even throw in the 3 point shot in a row , it was a source of pride. but it doesn't matter

all we talk about is what doesn't matter to UK basketball anymore
and all that does seem to matter is what is important to Cal

I'm over it. I'm not willing to continually give up what used to be important to Kentucky basketball under the excuse of me being an out of touch boomer.

I don't care if Cal stays or goes, but until people start prioritizing Kentucky basketball over what Calipari thinks is important, I'm not going to support him as coach based on what he has done to the program in the last 5 years. Maybe he's changed, maybe it took a 9-16 season to humble him, maybe Mitch finally stepped in and told him there is no shortage of coaches that can lose to Evansville. I don't know but I do know Cal needs to change, not me as a fan.

and no, I'm not going to go cheer for someone else, I'm not going to stop posting, I'm not going to listen to someone who joined this site 6 months ago lecture me on what being a fan is. That's just how it is.

Exactly how I see it also. Cal's OAD NBA shtick isn't more important to me than the program.

Do not know what y’all charge for tickets but according to the game it costs between 700.00 to a 1000.00 to go to a Duke game when you consider motel bills,tickets,etc.You also have to be masked and proof of vaccination.It is simply not worth the cost and aggravation when you can sit in the comfort of your home to watch

Cameron is a glorified gym though. It holds like 9K people. so for a national program that is going to generate alot of ticket demand

Reactions: Cawood86
I still think it's crazy that we never, ever play WKU.
We did. At Rupp and got beat. haven’t played them outside of the NCAA tourney since I don’t think.

November 15th, 2001 Not a fun birthday present for me.

(Just also learned TyTy and I share a birthday!).

Got completely outplayed and we shot like 33 percent.

And some folks thought the Evansville loss was bad.

If this persist into the conference slate then it's worthy of a story. Can't expect fans to be thrilled with our home game schedule.

We did. At Rupp and got beat. haven’t played them outside of the NCAA tourney since I don’t think.

November 15th, 2001 Not a fun birthday present for me.

(Just also learned TyTy and I share a birthday!).

Got completely outplayed and we shot like 33 percent.

And some folks thought the Evansville loss was bad.
I remember. I was at school at WKU at the time. Whole campus was celebrating. Me and my boy that watched it together ... pissed.

So you're talking 20 years. Essentially, UK never plays WKU.

edit : also ... what? Some people thought the Evansville loss was bad? It WAS bad. WKU in 2001 was way better than Evansville of last year. Not even a close comparison.

Reactions: Blueworld_3.0
That WKU team that UK lost to in 2001 had Chris Marcus, Patrick Sparks, David Boyden, Mike Wells, etc ...

Damn good basketball team. 28-3 season (regular season + Sun Belt tourney). Won 18 consecutive games going into the NCAA tournament.

So to say "and some people thought the Evansville loss was bad" as if losing to WKU was worse? No. Losing to WKU was bad at that time. Losing to Evansville was AWFUL.

What I'm wondering is..............is this a recent thing or did schools always do this?

I mean certain schools in the past had a reputation for playing tough OOC schedules. I believe that Izzo with Michigan St used to do this. Gonzaga in recent memory but that's cause they have to with their conference schedule being weak.

I can't remember schools even at the status of Duke, UK, Kansas etc etc playing tough OOC schedules for the longest time.

Another thing is people are wanting bigger home games but..........I don't know about you guys.......I have a tough time getting a reasonable priced ticket for say UL or any other big game we have at Rupp. So while I say I would go more often if they had better opponents, I'm not entirely sure that would be the case lol.

That WKU team that UK lost to in 2001 had Chris Marcus, Patrick Sparks, David Boyden, Mike Wells, etc ...

Damn good basketball team. 28-3 season (regular season + Sun Belt tourney). Won 18 consecutive games going into the NCAA tournament.

So to say "and some people thought the Evansville loss was bad" as if losing to WKU was worse? No. Losing to WKU was bad at that time. Losing to Evansville was AWFUL.
I forgot how good that WKU team actually turned out to be. So not the best comparison, but the reactions were similar. Some people wanted Tubby gone by the next day.

What I'm wondering is..............is this a recent thing or did schools always do this?

I mean certain schools in the past had a reputation for playing tough OOC schedules. I believe that Izzo with Michigan St used to do this. Gonzaga in recent memory but that's cause they have to with their conference schedule being weak.

I can't remember schools even at the status of Duke, UK, Kansas etc etc playing tough OOC schedules for the longest time.

I did some digging on this.. it seems more recent for sure. Tubby actually had fairly tough OOC conferences. Meanwhile Pitino was a bit closer to Cal (disregarding this year), landing kind of in the middle.

But for sure, you look around the league, no one is taking any chances. IDK if COVID made marquee scheduling a little tougher? Are teams ducking opponents?

I remember. I was at school at WKU at the time. Whole campus was celebrating. Me and my boy that watched it together ... pissed.

So you're talking 20 years. Essentially, UK never plays WKU.

edit : also ... what? Some people thought the Evansville loss was bad? It WAS bad. WKU in 2001 was way better than Evansville of last year. Not even a close comparison.
See my other post for the edit. But yeah, that’s probably partially why. We were ranked #4 at the time.

As a WKU alum myself, I’m glad that never happened in my years there. I would’ve been pissed like you, but also kinda cool that your college won? I don’t know.

Its weird when your born and raised a UK fan and they play your instate alma mater. Now, I will pull for UK for obvious reasons, but, it’s still hard not to have a little alma pride.

@bkingUK was at the game and said the only thing comparable to what he saw for attendance Tuesday night was a Sweet 16 high school game. So take that for what it's worth. You want to argue with him? He was there.
Yep. That’s true. This was 5 minutes into game and it didn’t get any better. Was trying to visualize while sitting there if everyone from top section sat in lower level if lower level would be full... I doubt it.

for different reasons, I feel like this started with two schools primarily

Duke and Syracuse

Duke was well known years past for playing no one until January, loaded up with cupcakes and having a gaudy win/loss record. Thats why you always heard about these nonsensical records - 27 straight non conference home wins, etc. Syracuse was notorious for never playing on a road until after Xmas.

It worked for Duke - they would be nationally ranked with like an 11-0 record before their first lost and they could absorb that loss and still stay in the top 10 because everyone else already had 1 or 2 losses.

One can debate on whether either approach actually improved the team in terms of being prepared to make a title run. Certainly a higher seed as a result helped.

might not be a big deal if its 10% fan cut, if that stays static. That is dependent on their approach working and getting results. Continue to not get results and its a double edge sword. Not only does fan participation drop but you get fired in 2 years.

I also think that there's still a sting from last year, and maybe even the year prior with the tournament being cancelled. I mean there are still some here who think we "didn't even make a Sweet16 that year", not realizing that NO ONE made a Sweet16 that year.. so there's definitely some people upset about the whole thing.

I do think if we start winning, and we must win these cupcakes, you'll see fans come back. We'll have a hot team, we'll have a resurgence of players that are "must see", like an Oscar or Wheeler. I think winning will help. Although, I personally, don't think we're ever going back to what in-person sports used to be.

I've always said, as long as Cal is here with an inexperienced team, give me the easier schedule to start. When he's gone, and if we get the next... idk.. Wright or Beard or someone who goes for experience.. then I'm fine playing the tougher schedules. I'd prefer us to aim for somewhere in the top50-top25.

The thing about this that keeps needing mentioned is...........it's not the overall OCC schedule. UK plays a tough OCC schedule in relation to other teams.

The beef with it is more a "we want more home and home series and less neutral site games". That's the gist of it I feel.

I mean 5 of our 13 OCC games are Duke, KU, UL, OSU and Notre Dame. You aren't going to find many teams with that kind of OCC schedule.

I just feel like not just with UK but overall, there's that shift to neutral site games. For better or worse.

OOC and Home games don't mean the same thing. UK doesn't have an embarrassing SOS, Kansas and Duke are strong too, but those are helped with neutral sites

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT