ADVERTISEMENT

Empty seats sending UK a message?

My hope is that ALL of the ticket scalpers that buy up the extra tickets before the season starts get STUCK with enough that it NO LONGER becomes profitable to do that. I have a feeling that is EXACTLY what's happening since UK doesn't have any but ALL of the ticket broker companies DO.

So, if enough of those tickets go unsold, the SCALPERS will STOP buying them up and they will become available to the public at face value. The great seats are NEVER available, because the demand for them is ALWAYS high, but the not so good ones going unsold by scalpers, will hopefully make them stop buying them.

I am a UK football season ticket holder(30 years) and WAS a UK Basketball season ticket holder(now I use the money I spent on them to travel to Neutral Site Games in NYC, Vegas, etc. which is actually cheaper). UK Athletics needs to make it EASIER for FAMILIES to attend games. Instead of ALLOWING scalpers to buy up seats, why not have ENTIRE sections that are for JUST families? It would PROMOTE UK sports and introduce an ENTIRELY new generation to what it's like to actually attend LIVE. This younger generation has SO MANY options for entertainment, UK Basketball and Football needs to entice younger potential fans to come to games.

The drop off will continue until it becomes feasible to actually go in person.
A few years ago I got into a casual conversation with a dude in Applebees . Turns out he was a ticket scalper that lived in Cincinnati. He said he scalped tickets for all UK games . Wasn’t a UK fan or even a college basketball fan . Just a yankee carpetbagger that profits off of UK basketball fanfare. Made me sick .

A few years ago I got into a casual conversation with a dude in Applebees . Turns out he was a ticket scalper that lived in Cincinnati. He said he scalped tickets for all UK games . Wasn’t a UK fan or even a college basketball fan . Just a yankee carpetbagger that profits off of UK basketball fanfare. Made me sick .
Those guys are a BIG part of the problem!!!

Think this is a skip year in terms of attendance. Will pickup in SEC play, but regardless of that, next season will start a new era in Rupp.

Rupp Arena is under construction. Even the floor is out of date. Everything with the facility is in a holding pattern until complete. And it’s looking great.

A losing season, covid and a lackluster schedule are the main factors. But the completion of the reno on top of one of what is probably the best class since 2015 will bring new excitement. A year from now, more covid habits will also be broken and hopefully will be further winding down. Also suspect we will see a better home schedule.

Attendance was abysmal tonight. Made me kind of sad, but also realized, yeah...it’s a covid pattern. Things just aren’t quite normal. Of course the schedule and wins and losses have impact. The positive thing is though, think a year from now things will really be picking up and there’s a lot to look forward to.

I am butt hurt. Cal can win 10 titles on a row and I won’t care. He knelt while my son was in the Pacific Ocean on the USS Illinois. I will NEVER forgive cowardpari
Wasnt it a military guy that first came up with the idea of kneeling?...Nate Boyer I think is his name

Reactions: bbncal02
It ain't covid and it aint the price, not saying theyaren't somewhat factors. It's more than they want to admit. Some things that happened last year turned fans off. Fans are also tiring of UK being a turnstile for players 8 months.
You wish those things were the cause. Nobody cares about what happened last year but prejudiced people like you.

Reactions: Ed323232
Yea the kneeling thing was beat with a dead horse last year. Think if people want to debate the angry kneeling crowd, go the political thread and they’ll be happy to post Twitter memes to reinforce their arguments.

For the record, my official take on it is this...
Players should now kneel every game to protest the ridiculous nature of the argument.
Honest question—are players kneeling this year, not just uk?

There is still a strong percentage of people that are just getting used to being free after being conditioned to stay home for two years... Got a feeling after that absolute beatdown on Friday, it will be a packed house at Rupp Tues. Night..
Was it packed Tuesday night? I don’t actively pay attention to the crowd when I’m watching on TV.

scarcity increases value, so maybe we should add SEC Network as another reason

I remember watching tape delayed games where our local TV station would play them after the 10PM news. The sports anchor (WHAMMY!) would tell us ahead of time when he was about to give the score and give us time to turn the volume down. Every kid at school the next day would be tired
Denny Trease did a great job calling the games . GREVEY FROM THE CORNER …..WRITE IT DOWN !!!!

• Love
Reactions: Cawood86
There is still a strong percentage of people that are just getting used to being free after being conditioned to stay home for two years... Got a feeling after that absolute beatdown on Friday, it will be a packed house at Rupp Tues. Night..
Nope

really sparse crowd last night. Smaller than the Friday night crowd in fact.

I live 6.5 hours away from Rupp, according to Google Maps, but the only time I go to any of the local sporting events here at the colleges is if they need me to fill in at the scorer’s table. And then I’m getting paid to work. The games at the two D3 schools, one of which is my alma mater, have free admission and I will never knowingly financially support the D1 school.

All the games are broadcasted online in HD (or on TV for some of the games for the D1 school). Two of the three schools have really high production values. I have a nice TV and sound system, I have comfortable seating, I can get whatever food and beverages I want, and if it becomes uncompetitive or boring I can just switch the game or start watching some TV show. I don’t really see the point in going.

I as there last night and it was about half full.maybe ten or eleven thousand . If they give a number above that it’s definitely tickets sold and not butts in the seats.
I think having to wear masks is a huge part of it . eventhough I have season tickets I would much rather watch the game at home than wear the mask. BTW I have had all three shots . There was no one in front, behind or on either side of us . So not sure why I had to Mask up.

a lot of it is because Amazon, but Mondays especially are awful because of the mail volume, along with the first of the month. We have started to come in at 5:30 AM to get packages delivered then come back and get all our mail sorted and loaded up then go deliver it.
Feel for you brother. Used to work for FexEx. Amazon is a nightmare. The returns are worse than the deliveries.

Small correction, I will go to the games if one of my friends is coaching for the opponent. I have several friends coaching at other schools that are in the same conference is my alma mater. I don't get to see them often so it's nice to be able to see them even if it's just briefly.

I don’t really see the point in going.
apparently alot of people don't.

The following rant isn't directed at you Nbacats, I'm just using your quote as a springboard.

ticket prices, TV size, etc have nothing to do with me personally not attending games.

I have zero connection to the team. I couldn't name all the players on the team at the moment. That doesn't make me a bad fan. I was all in on the OAD when the idea was there would be 2 - 3 obvious superstars on the team that would be game changers to the program in the little time they spent here. I was invested in them as a fan because of their immediate impact to the program.

Now - really, who GAF about Brandon Boston? He did nothing here and bolted. 5 years from now I'm willing to bet 90% of the fans won't be able to tell you what year he played. Would I be invested in him as a player if he came back? improved? dedicated himself to the program and acted like it meant something to be at Kentucky other than a fast track to the NBA? Absolutely I would. And the problem is we've been fed a steady diet of Brandon Boston level players here for 5 years with Cal happily telling us he doesn't GAF about what the fans want , and a good portion of the fans saying it doesn't matter.

It does matter.

we've rationalized away so much to support Calipari's approach to basketball

November/December games don't matter
Players not returning and transferring doesn't matter
All time wins doesn't matter
Home advantage at Rupp / Sold out games doesn't matter
Kentucky high school players don't matter
SEC tournament doesn't matter
Indiana series doesn't matter
I'll even throw in the 3 point shot in a row , it was a source of pride. but it doesn't matter

all we talk about is what doesn't matter to UK basketball anymore
and all that does seem to matter is what is important to Cal

I'm over it. I'm not willing to continually give up what used to be important to Kentucky basketball under the excuse of me being an out of touch boomer.

I don't care if Cal stays or goes, but until people start prioritizing Kentucky basketball over what Calipari thinks is important, I'm not going to support him as coach based on what he has done to the program in the last 5 years. Maybe he's changed, maybe it took a 9-16 season to humble him, maybe Mitch finally stepped in and told him there is no shortage of coaches that can lose to Evansville. I don't know but I do know Cal needs to change, not me as a fan.

and no, I'm not going to go cheer for someone else, I'm not going to stop posting, I'm not going to listen to someone who joined this site 6 months ago lecture me on what being a fan is. That's just how it is.

Last edited:

The following rant isn't directed at you Nbacats, I'm just using your quote as a springboard.

ticket prices, TV size, etc have nothing to do with me personally not attending games.

I have zero connection to the team. I couldn't name all the players on the team at the moment. That doesn't make me a bad fan. I was all in on the OAD when the idea was there would be 2 - 3 obvious superstars on the team that would be game changers to the program in the little time they spent here. I was invested in them as a fan because of their immediate impact to the program.

Now - really, who GAF about Brandon Boston? He did nothing here and bolted. 5 years from now I'm willing to bet 90% of the fans won't be able to tell you what year he played. Would I be invested in him as a player if he came back? improved? dedicated himself to the program and acted like it meant something to be at Kentucky other than a fast track to the NBA? Absolutely I would. And the problem is we've been fed a steady diet of Brandon Boston level players here for 5 years with Cal happily telling us he doesn't GAF about what the fans want , and a good portion of the fans saying it doesn't matter.

It does matter.

I'll even throw in the 3 point shot in a row , it was a source of pride. but it doesn't matter

and all that does seem to matter is getting these kids in the NBA.

I'm over it. I'm not willing to continually give up what used to be important to Kentucky basketball under the excuse of me being an out of touch boomer.

I don't care if Cal stays or goes, but until people start prioritizing Kentucky basketball over what Calipari thinks is important, I'm not going to support him as coach based on what he has done to the program in the last 5 years. Maybe he's changed, maybe it took a 9-16 season to humble him, maybe Mitch finally stepped in and told him there is no shortage of coaches that can lose to Evansville. I don't know but I do know Cal needs to change, not me as a fan.

and no, I'm not going to go cheer for someone else, I'm not going to stop posting, I'm not going to listen to someone who joined this site 6 months ago lecture me on what being a fan is. That's just how it is.
Terrific post and perspective. Thank you!

It does matter.

BRAVO SIR!!!!

I agree wholeheartedly!!!!

Pin this one at the top of the board!!!!

It does matter.

This post should be in the RR HOF for best posts ever. So spot on. Agree 100%.

It does matter.

This is 100 percent spot on!

It does matter.

and no, I'm not going to go cheer for someone else, I'm not going to stop posting, I'm not going to listen to someone who joined this site 6 months ago lecture me on what being a fan ra is. That's just how it is
Dead wood

I have no doubt that Cal and the team engaging in divisive politics has had a negative impact on attendance. Reasonable people can disagree about kneeling, but it's undeniably divisive. I don't think kneeling is the biggest reason for the decline in attendance, but it is a factor.

Feel for you brother. Used to work for FexEx. Amazon is a nightmare. The returns are worse than the deliveries.
yep, just had a 82 package pickup for someone running a clothing store out of their home yesterday smfh. Def pays really well but the shit you have to put up with is insane lol

Reactions: Cawood86

It does matter.

So much this.

I miss my team.

What we have now really isn't a college basketball program and I just can't get into it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT