ADVERTISEMENT

Empty seats sending UK a message?

My nominee as a late entry for the absolute dumbest post of the year
Idk. I think he has a point. Regardless of the political name calling, why come to this board every day to bash Cal, bash the players, bash the mask rules in Rupp, bitch about the kneeling last year and hate on the program for their stance on current issues facing the country.
If you don't like Cal or his players go find a new team to complain about. He isn't going anywhere with the recruits he brings in and they aren't going to suddenly start wearing stupid red hats in warm ups just to make the far right wing nuts happy.

bruhhh I feel for this man knowing what he went through. Any Bills fan.

He was actually a Jets fan growing up on Long Island, but switched to the Bills when he moved upstate in the 70's.. and then proceeded to endure some awful super bowl heart breaks, and that was followed up with nearly 20 years of just bad football from Buffalo.

I, being the shit head I am, thought it would be funny to be a Jets fan when I was like 7.. just to spite him (out of love, not REALLY spite). I would make him Christmas cards that would say "BILLS: Boy I Love Losing Superbowls" lol..

.. Fast forward to present day, and I'm the one who's no longer laughing. Although, I'm a closet Bills fans. I don't root for other teams just to be that shit head kid, I HATE the Pats, and I generally want to see Buffalo win. They deserve it.
I understand..lifelong Bengals fan here so I absolutely know about some bad football lol....but hey at some point they gotta win a playoff game.They are young so there is hope.

Reactions: Cawood86
Idk. I think he has a point. Regardless of the political name calling, why come to this board every day to bash Cal, bash the players, bash the mask rules in Rupp, bitch about the kneeling last year and hate on the program for their stance on current issues facing the country.
If you don't like Cal or his players go find a new team to complain about. He isn't going anywhere with the recruits he brings in and they aren't going to suddenly start wearing stupid red hats in warm ups just to make the far right wing nuts happy.
I stand corrected. Your post is now the leading candidate for the absolute dumbest post of the year. Congrats.

Excellent post

But really.. what are we talking here? Maybe 1 more competitive home game, 2 max? That's the difference maker? It's not like past coaches really packed the schedule with tough teams in November/December. They all had cupcakes.

We have plenty of tough games early, just nothing of substance at home. It's all neutral site for the tv experience. I get why they do that, but they also know full well they're trading that tv revenue at the expense of the season ticket holders. In fact the entire sec network deal did the same, which I posted about a long time ago. Schools chose guaranteed tv revenue and sold out the fans who attend in person.

You have several other factors too, including the fact people found out last year watching from home wasn't that bad and they didn't need to go battle traffic, parking, costs, crowds, and expense just to watch a crap team. Don't worry, it will happen with football too this Saturday.

When a good sec game comes to town, fans will pack rupp again. But the days of people showing up religiously are over.

Outside of wanting to taken my kids to a game a year, I have no desire to go. The only tickets that are affordable are against the bad teams that everyone complains about having to play. They have priced themselves out of sell out crowds unless it's an opponent that people are willing to sacrifice and pay the price. If UK basketball didn't have the history or (personal sentimental value-UK football) I wouldn't ever go back. Too much money and effort to make it worthwhile. I can watch it on TV and only devote only two hours of my day versus 7 if I go in person.

Calipari and the team were cowards. When they did that during the National Anthem IN FLORIDA, they chose to disrespect the University of Florida, as well as all military/law enforcement officers who willingly risk their lives every single day. If that doesn't bother you, so be it. But it did upset a lot of people.

Why didn't they do it at a home game? We know why. They would have been booed off the floor and hundreds (if not more) would have left Rupp Arena right then.

I am a UK Grad. I want UK to win every game in every sport. That will never change.

And I will always remember what Calipari allowed on an opposing team's court. Do it at a home game and see how it goes over.
Lmao

Show me where I said anyting about veterans or active soldiers. I served as well. So don't assume to speak for me. You do not.

I know what the protest and the video was about. You seem to think your view is the only view. YOu are free to have your view.

I am free to have mine. I don't look for your approval or need it.
You're making aasumptions you know nothing about.
Lmao

Show me where I said anyting about veterans or active soldiers. I served as well. So don't assume to speak for me. You do not.

I know what the protest and the video was about. You seem to think your view is the only view. YOu are free to have your view.

I am free to have mine. I don't look for your approval or need it.
You're making aasumptions you know nothing about.
Again, everything you said above , goes both ways.
Oddly, you seem to always bring up kneeling and your dislike for the program, because of it.
I love the cats. Kneeling was something that happened. I let it go when the game started. I will leave it at that. No reason to keep going.

bruhhh I feel for this man knowing what he went through. Any Bills fan.

He was actually a Jets fan growing up on Long Island, but switched to the Bills when he moved upstate in the 70's.. and then proceeded to endure some awful super bowl heart breaks, and that was followed up with nearly 20 years of just bad football from Buffalo.

I, being the shit head I am, thought it would be funny to be a Jets fan when I was like 7.. just to spite him (out of love, not REALLY spite). I would make him Christmas cards that would say "BILLS: Boy I Love Losing Superbowls" lol..

.. Fast forward to present day, and I'm the one who's no longer laughing. Although, I'm a closet Bills fans. I don't root for other teams just to be that shit head kid, I HATE the Pats, and I generally want to see Buffalo win. They deserve it.
The Pats are the most evil organization in sports, and Tom Brady is basically Lucifer in a helmet. You can't convince me otherwise.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
You guys can shit on the article all you want, but don't act like Mark Story isn't plugged in here. Dude knows what's going on with Kentucky basketball and the fanbase.

Reactions: ok-cats-computer
So far he's contributed 4 'Lmao's' and a 'Haha' on this page alone. Pretty deep stuff.
There isn't much to say when you have idiots coming in here saying that they are gonna "stick it to Cal" by not going to games that they couldn't afford to go to anyways.

The lack of self awareness is just funny. It requires nothing more than a "haha" and "lmao."

Reactions: Ed323232
There isn't much to say when you have idiots coming in here saying that they are gonna "stick it to Cal" by not going to games that they couldn't afford to go to anyways.

The lack of self awareness is just funny. It requires nothing more than a "haha" and "lmao"
What does that have to do with Mark Story? You replied to my post about Story with a laugh. Care to add anything of substance?

Reactions: KFuqua
What does that have to do with Mark Story? You replied to my post about Story with a laugh. Care to add anything of substance?
Its just funny that you are insinuating that Mark Story knows exactly how millions of people are feeling at any moment. Mark's work is great but Mark has no clue why Nancy in Mt Vernon decided she should stay home tonight instead of heading to Rupp.

Reactions: Ed323232
Its just funny that you are insinuating that Mark Story knows exactly how millions of people are feeling at any moment. Mark's work is great but Mark has no clue why Nancy in Mt Vernon decided she should stay home tonight instead of heading to Rupp.
Jesus man. Try understanding nuance. Mark is not telling you why Nancy in Mt. Vernon decided to stay home tonight. He's not trying to break down every individual's decision. He's pointing out an obvious shift in aggregate numbers and hypothesizing on why that is. Nothing he said anywhere in that article should be considered even remotely controversial, yet here we are.

Jesus man. Try understanding nuance. Mark is not telling you why Nancy in Mt. Vernon decided to stay home tonight. He's not trying to break down every individual's decision. He's pointing out an obvious shift in aggregate numbers and hypothesizing on why that is. Nothing he said anywhere in that article should be considered even remotely controversial, yet here we are.
I mean its not controversial to me. I just know the reasoning behind the attendance issues which started 2-3 years ago has nothing to do with the team kneeling 10 months ago.

I mean its not controversial to me. I just know the reasoning behind the attendance issues which started 2-3 years ago has nothing to do with the team kneeling 10 months ago.
I do think it has a lot less to do with kneeling and a lot more to do with the revolving door of players and bad basketball in Rupp in November and December (combination of the bad opponent slate and our quality of play).

There are definitely a few factors working against attendance. A losing season and covid are the biggest ones.

Winning solves all problems. Go cayuts

Reactions: BigTyrone
I do think it has a lot less to do with kneeling and a lot more to do with the revolving door of players and bad basketball in Rupp in November and December (combination of the bad opponent slate and our quality of play).
Our teams in 2017 and 2019 were very good. The 2016, 2018, and 2020 teams sucked for the most part. The biggest issue with attendance is the schedule. No one wants to watch UK play St Vincent St Marys.

The fact that you think a person having respect for the flag and what it symbolizes (our freedom and the men and women who have died for it) makes them a “far right wing nut” tells me all I need to know about you.

Our teams in 2017 and 2019 were very good.
I didn't say they weren't ... but also what I said was bad basketball against bad opponents in Rupp in November and December. Isn't that what I said?

That 2019 team lost to Evansville in Rupp. Last year we lost to Richmond in Rupp. We have mostly bad opponents in Rupp in November and December and the last several years the basketball in November and December has been ugly. This is what I'm talking about. It's not wrong and it shouldn't be controversial.

Reactions: UKNothinButNet
It seems some folks hope UK gets the message THEY hope is being sent. I have to chuckle. All I know is, I thought about buying UK tickets and searched for tickets and the games were almost all sold out- yes, even for these cupcake games. If people are buying tickets and then staying home, UK isn't getting that message. And what would that message be anyway? "We think Calipari is a terrible coach and we refuse to support the team so long as he is on the payroll!!!" No, I don't think they will be getting THAT message, despite the wishes of some.

I'll tell you what the primary issues are for me...
I live 4.5 hours away, so Monday and Tuesday games are just not feasible
Friday games might work but we have to get a hotel, and we have Saturday conflicts
The December games and conference games are too expensive for my huge family

We aren't worried about covid. We don't hate Calipari. We aren't mad at the coaching staff because they didn't recruit my nephew or his cousin. We aren't mad at the team or the coaching staff for what last year's team did at Florida. We aren't "sending a message." It just didn't work out this year. We will try again.

It seems some folks hope UK gets the message THEY hope is being sent. I have to chuckle. All I know is, I thought about buying UK tickets and searched for tickets and the games were almost all sold out- yes, even for these cupcake games. If people are buying tickets and then staying home, UK isn't getting that message. And what would that message be anyway? "We think Calipari is a terrible coach and we refuse to support the team so long as he is on the payroll!!!" No, I don't think they will be getting THAT message, despite the wishes of some.

Friday games might work but we have to get a hotel, and we have Saturday conflicts

We aren't worried about covid. We don't hate Calipari. We aren't mad at the coaching staff because they didn't recruit my nephew or his cousin. We aren't mad at the team or the coaching staff for what last year's team did at Florida. We aren't "sending a message." It just didn't work out this year. We will try again.
That's fine in your individual case, @IL Wildcat . Story is talking about aggregate numbers in the thousands here.

It ain't covid and it aint the price, not saying theyaren't somewhat factors. It's more than they want to admit. Some things that happened last year turned fans off. Fans are also tiring of UK being a turnstile for players 8 months.
Agreed whole-heartedly.

If people are still butthurt over the kneeling, then they can stay home if this team wins a title too.
Gladly.

Cal landed on the "more negatives than positives" side of the fence with me a few years ago, and he goes out of his way to stay there at this point. I'm just glad there's enough people out there in my camp so I don't have to shrug/hide when my UK Fan Credentials are questioned.

Living 4.5 hours away puts you in a smaller category. There are many people still within the state even less than 1.5 hours away that, for various reasons, are no longer clamoring for a way to get to Rupp. I don't know how to explain you seeing almost sold out early season games but on TV the uppers especially appear rather empty around the edges. I do attribute shrinking attendance to a degree to what's happening nationally. Times are a changing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT