ADVERTISEMENT

Eli Brown transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
the top kids here are as good as anywhere.

Evidence? Due to smaller numbers, instate competition suffers compared to larger states. Over several generations, a few native Kentuckians (Paul Hornung, Justin Miller, Chris Redman, Michael Bush, Tim Masthay, Jacob Tamme, Corey Peters, DeVante Parker, Larry Warford) have had successful NFL careers. Those numbers are small. A number of high profile native Kentuckians (Rick Norton, Dickie Lyons, Sonny Collins, Jared Lorenzen, Andre Woodson, Brian Brohm, Eric Shelton, Micah Johnson) were unable to establish themselves in the NFL. A long list of highly rated Kentuckians underachieved at the college level, including Jake Carney, John Logan, Lonnell Dewalt, Chase Minnifield, Aundre Henderson, James McKinney, Cory Zirbel, Curtis Pulley, Micah Jones, Jordan Whiting, Tim Patterson, Justin Green, Brandon Newman, DaMarcus Smith, Aaron Boyd, Patrick Towles, Zeke Pike, Hunter Bivin, Jason Hatcher, Kyle Bolin.

We NEED to keep them home.

We NEED a legitimate SEC football roster. It doesn't matter where our players were born. Babe Parilli and Lou Michaels were born in Pennsylvania. Bob Gain was born in Akron. Randall Cobb, DeWayne Robertson, Jeremy Jarmon are from Tennessee. Mo Williams, Bud Dupree, Wesley Woodward, Trevard Lindley are from Georgia. Danny Trevathan, Juice Johnson, Derrick Baity are Floridians. Josh Allen is from New Jersey. Josh Paschal is from Maryland. Benny Snell, CJ Conrad, Mike Edwards are Ohioans. Stephen Johnson is from California. Terrry Wilson and Derrick Locke are from Oklahoma.

Think Harris and Wills couldn't help this team? They were both big contributors to bamas season.

Every SEC program misses on instate recruits. Stoops offered Harris and Wills scholarships and recruited them hard. Did you want Stoops to kidnap them?

There are 2 or 3 major ky prospects in most classes. We need to lock them down. We did. Now we aren't. Optics like this hurt and play a role

Then, can you explain why UL's football roster has only 7 native Kentuckians on scholarship? UL represents our state's largest city. How about those "optics"? Stoops currently has at least 9 scholarship offers on the table to Kentuckians in the 2019 class. He can't force them to sign. Stoops has been the most successful recruiter in modern UK football history. That's good optics.

Reactions: The-Hack and lz
Evidence?

Damien Harris and Jedrick Wills.

The end.

Both will be high level NFL draft picks. Harris surprised people by coming back for his senior season. Wills is on his way to a great career.

This state normally produces 2 to 3 high level players per year. It takes minimal resources to recruit since they're in our backyard. Most have connections to the school already.

The end.

Both will be high level NFL draft picks. Harris surprised people by coming back for his senior season. Wills is on his way to a great career.

This state normally produces 2 to 3 high level players per year. It takes minimal resources to recruit since they're in our backyard. Most have connections to the school already.
Every fan can fantasize. You wanted Harris and Wills, but they attend Alabama. I wanted Deandre Litaker. But that isn't going to happen either. Life goes on. I will agree with you that Damien Harris will be a high level NFL draft pick. Hello! So will Benny Snell! Would you take Harris over Snell? I wouldn't. Who just won the 2017 SEC rushing title? You and I have no clue where, or whether, Jedrick Wills will be drafted. You are stuck in neutral on the "own backyard" argument. Did you want Stoops to handcuff Harris and Wills? Stoops signed Landon Young and Drake Jackson from our "own backyard". But every SEC program misses on instate recruits. We just signed a highly rated quarterback from Oklahoma. Snell is from Ohio. So what? It doesn't matter where our players grew up. It only matters where they want to play and how hard they are willing to work.

Evidence? Due to smaller numbers, instate competition suffers compared to larger states. Over several generations, a few native Kentuckians (Paul Hornung, Justin Miller, Chris Redman, Michael Bush, Tim Masthay, Jacob Tamme, Corey Peters, DeVante Parker, Larry Warford) have had successful NFL careers. Those numbers are small. A number of high profile native Kentuckians (Rick Norton, Dickie Lyons, Sonny Collins, Jared Lorenzen, Andre Woodson, Brian Brohm, Eric Shelton, Micah Johnson) were unable to establish themselves in the NFL. A long list of highly rated Kentuckians underachieved at the college level, including Jake Carney, John Logan, Lonnell Dewalt, Chase Minnifield, Aundre Henderson, James McKinney, Cory Zirbel, Curtis Pulley, Micah Jones, Jordan Whiting, Tim Patterson, Justin Green, Brandon Newman, DaMarcus Smith, Aaron Boyd, Patrick Towles, Zeke Pike, Hunter Bivin, Jason Hatcher, Kyle Bolin.

We NEED a legitimate SEC football roster. It doesn't matter where our players were born. Babe Parilli and Lou Michaels were born in Pennsylvania. Bob Gain was born in Akron. Randall Cobb, DeWayne Robertson, Jeremy Jarmon are from Tennessee. Mo Williams, Bud Dupree, Wesley Woodward, Trevard Lindley are from Georgia. Danny Trevathan, Juice Johnson, Derrick Baity are Floridians. Josh Allen is from New Jersey. Josh Paschal is from Maryland. Benny Snell, CJ Conrad, Mike Edwards are Ohioans. Stephen Johnson is from California. Terrry Wilson and Derrick Locke are from Oklahoma.

Every SEC program misses on instate recruits. Stoops offered Harris and Wills scholarships and recruited them hard. Did you want Stoops to kidnap them?

Then, can you explain why UL's football roster has only 7 native Kentuckians on scholarship? UL represents our state's largest city. How about those "optics"? Stoops currently has at least 9 scholarship offers on the table to Kentuckians in the 2019 class. He can't force them to sign. Stoops has been the most successful recruiter in modern UK football history. That's good optics.
BD...if kidnapping is what it takes and we can get by with it, YES!!!:football::football::boxing:[banana]:cool2::cool2:

The end.

Weird that Harris comes back for his senior year when I guess he would most certainly have been drafted and Boom dosent knowing it was almost 100% he wouldn't be.

Every fan can fantasize. You wanted Harris and Wills, but they attend Alabama.

My god it can't really be this hard can it? Of course they are at bama. But both are ky products and we whiffed on both.

If we are to go to the next level, we need ky players of that caliber to stay home. To increase our odds at that, we need to not have so many local products transfer out. I didn't realize this would somehow be met with some opposition

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Every fan can fantasize. You wanted Harris and Wills, but they attend Alabama. I wanted Deandre Litaker. But that isn't going to happen either. Life goes on. I will agree with you that Damien Harris will be a high level NFL draft pick. Hello! So will Benny Snell! Would you take Harris over Snell? I wouldn't. Who just won the 2017 SEC rushing title? You and I have no clue where, or whether, Jedrick Wills will be drafted. You are stuck in neutral on the "own backyard" argument. Did you want Stoops to handcuff Harris and Wills? Stoops signed Landon Young and Drake Jackson from our "own backyard". But every SEC program misses on instate recruits. We just signed a highly rated quarterback from Oklahoma. Snell is from Ohio. So what? It doesn't matter where our players grew up. It only matters where they want to play and how hard they are willing to work.
BD ...love BS , but you do realize he had well overtwice as many carries as DH did, but only 400 more yds. I also don't think he won the rushing title. Didn't he finish like second or third? I know DH plays behind a much better online and BS takes much more punishment . I was surprised that Wills played as a freshman at Bama, Were you?

Last edited:
My god it can't really be this hard can it? Of course they are at bama. But both are ky products and we whiffed on both.

If we are to go to the next level, we need ky players of that caliber to stay home. To increase our odds at that, we need to not have so many local products transfer out. I didn't realize this would somehow be met with some opposition
What hurts worse is they both lived in the heart of BBN. Even saw Wills at one of UK's baseball games last year looking like he was cheering for the CATS!

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
My god it can't really be this hard can it?

It shouldn't be. But let's try 1 more time.

Of course they are at bama. But both are ky products and we whiffed on both.

Let's live in the real world. Okay? Again, every coaching staff whiffs on some recruits. Alabama whiffs on recruits too. Landon Young, Drake Jackson, Kengera Daniel, Josh Paschal, Yusuf Corker, Jordan Wright turned down Alabama to sign with UK. Did you know this?

If we are to go to the next level, we need ky players of that caliber to stay home.

If we are to go to the next level, we need a better, more talented football roster. That cannot happen by building our football roster on a foundation of instate recruits. It doesn't matter where UK's football players grew up. Randall Cobb grew up in Tennessee. Josh Allen is from New Jersey. We don't get extra points for signing instate players. And, again, I would not trade Benny Snell for Damien Harris. Would you? Snell just won the SEC rushing title. Did you know this?

Last edited:
That cannot happen by building our football roster on a foundation of instate recruits

Nobody said a foundation. You're arguing points noone is making.

We need to cash in on elite in state talent. That doesn't even just go for us. It goes for every program.

In state recruits most often have ties to school already (usually strong points for us). They're close in proximity so they require less resources to recruit and that proximity is a great pitch to the family.

The end...

Where is your magic wand?

I was addressing this mindset rather than what you addressed in your previous reply so I will ask again. So what would you propose the coaches do other than what they are and have been doing? Kidnapping? Coercion? Blackmail? Cash payments?

It shouldn't be. But let's try 1 more time.

Let's live in the real world. Okay? Again, every coaching staff whiffs on some recruits. Alabama whiffs on recruits too. Landon Young, Drake Jackson, Kengera Daniel, Josh Paschal, Yusuf Corker, Jordan Wright turned down Alabama to sign with UK. Did you know this?

If we are to go to the next level, we need a better, more talented football roster. That cannot happen by building our football roster on a foundation of instate recruits. It doesn't matter where UK's football players grew up. Randall Cobb grew up in Tennessee. Josh Allen is from New Jersey. We don't get extra points for signing instate players. And, again, I would not trade Benny Snell for Damien Harris. Would you? Snell just won the SEC rushing title. Did you know this?
Benny did not win the SEC rushing title,, in fact, he wasn't top two!

Weird that Harris comes back for his senior year when I guess he would most certainly have been drafted and Boom dosent knowing it was almost 100% he wouldn't be.

Definitely weird that Boom didn’t come back for that extra year of development under Stoops...

A coach can't be held hostage by an in state recruit, nor can a program. We were bombarded with worries if Phillips was let go we would lose Towles. That played as it did.
Once again...on Rivals, Florida has a top 70 of the 2019 recruits. Georgia a top 100. Ohio a top 35. Kentucky a top 10 and two of those guys verballed as juniors to Michigan and Notre Dame. We don't have the numbers, and a coach can only offer and keep touch.
We have over sixty years of football futility and a try to build a program to offer....when you stack history against Alabama, Michigan and Notre Dame, you best be doing some big fast talking.

Reactions: law1127

Dermonti Dawson, Joe Jacoby, Frank Minniefeld, Tim Couch got rich, Rick Kestner, Phil Simms, Luke Stocker, Devante Parker, Brandon Dunn, Winston Guy, Myron Pryor, Josh Forrest, Keith Tandy, Shawn Alexander( DAMN Ky has been good to Ala fb), Artose Pinner, Dean Wells, Will Wofford, Mark Logan, Mark Higgs, Bubba Paris, George Adams, Dewaye Woodruff, Dan Neal, Jeff Van Note....more but I'm stopping there.

This hurts. We would have been much better off in the long run and probably even short term if Brown stayed and Jones left.

???:football::football::football::joy::joy::smiley:you being facetious

No, I am sure he was serious, after all UK did have the regular season rushing leader in the SEC without Boom, (cheated out of the bowl game for the overall leader), although Stoops did fall off from having TWO 1,000 yard rushers.

Most teams have at least two.

Last edited:
What? His track record of sending recruits to
the league while at UK speaks for itself. :)

Fortunately the return of ALL FIVE of the prospects with a chance to go pro speaks even more highly of him. Since his first class was with a late start and half Joker's getting a couple of four stars and sending Smith and Dupree to the NFL his first year wasn't that bad really. His first real class will have several good NFL prospects coming out this year.

But negativity is good for the soul, must be, I don't see how it helps the program in any way.

Again that's part of the problem is he was someone that should have been an impact player. Yeah I get it some 4 star Army All Americans don't develop. However when you have a staff that can't seem to get any of them to develop that's an issue. One player or a couple players fail to develop then it's on the player. When most of your high level recruits fail then it's on the staff.

Like I stated earlier its hard getting excited about Oats with our track record of not developing players. I get the feeling 2 years from now he'll be transferring and we'll be reading about he wasn't any loss because he wasn't good either.

I fear we have a staff of recruiters with no coaches. Some might differ about this but I feel coaching a far more important than recruiting. There are a lot of great recruiting staffs out there that can't win. There are very few great coaching staffs out there that can't win even if that staff can't recruit. Teaching is more important than recruiting and I'm not convinced we can do that.

Yeah, Bohanna and Josh have been huge disappointments.

You win some and you lose some, and as far as that goes I thought Brown played pretty well, otherwise why all this talk? We just had a player ranked below him that played better, but no one gets developed?

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
You seem to be saying that we not only must recruit and sign KY players, but in turn play them, no matter what. It's that, or you just expect everyone to share your apparent belief that any KY player who does not see the field early and stay there can blame the staff for his lack of development.

Sorry, but in the first instance, we would be committing recruiting suicide outside the Commonwealth. In the second, I'm just not with that agenda.

Maybe we should look for examples of KY players who have panned out for this staff, or still show some promise, instead of focusing on the disappointments.

Cole Mosier, Drake Jackson, Landon Young, Kash Daniel (coming), Adrian Middleton, Charles Walker, Davonte Robinson, Zy'aire Hughes, Walker Wood.

Fact is, KY still does not produce a depth of real FBS talent on an annual basis, and even when it does, the comparison with a good year in Ohio is still a laugher. Bill Greene is tracking 80-90 2019 Ohio kids for FBS offers? There is a reason we don't have a roster full of Kentuckians, and some that we do add never realize their promise. KY high school football is still relatively under developed, even if improved over 2 or 3 decades ago.

There is obviously a lot of angst over all these 2018 kids going to Brohm at Purdue. Well, they aren't going to Ohio State or UT, are they? Those that are headed to profile programs have their reasons. Just a weird year. It can happen quickly when pickings are slim, and let's face it, they always are.

So... to be blunt, if I have to concern myself with one state for the betterment of UK football... I take Ohio. If kids from KY are looking for a reason not to play at UK, I say let them go their own way. We can probably do better elsewhere.

What I am really worried about is if OSU finds out about the Kentucky talent and starts recruiting really hard down here, after all it is next door to us, and the weather is cooler up there.

Pretty subtle, you are good at that, but you really don't have to look very hard at almost any of your posts to find the negativity toward our staff. How is your agenda going so far, do you think it will take a year or two or are you more optimistic?

Pretty big year coming up, huh, took six years for several great coaches to turn the corner. Steady progress is what we need, but a breakout year would be a great thing for MOST fans.

Where is your magic wand?

I was addressing this mindset rather than what you addressed in your previous reply so I will ask again. So what would you propose the coaches do other than what they are and have been doing? Kidnapping? Coercion? Blackmail? Cash payments?

I would guess Transfer U has tried ALL of those tricks, did they get them. They even offer about ten thousand dollars more in cold hard cash over four years than UK does.

Alas, Bama has a great program AND also offers the ten thousand in cash.

Pretty subtle, you are good at that, but you really don't have to look very hard at almost any of your posts to find the negativity toward our staff. How is your agenda going so far, do you think it will take a year or two or are you more optimistic?

Pretty big year coming up, huh, took six years for several great coaches to turn the corner. Steady progress is what we need, but a breakout year would be a great thing for MOST fans.
What the hell are you talking about? I LOVED Boom and wish he had decided to come back. So you don't think it is weird that a kid dosen't stay for his senior year knowing he wasn't going to be drafted vs a kid knowing that he most surely would have been a high draft pick and decides to stay for his last year...nothing more , nothing less. Need to stop trying to get into my mind...you can't get there. By the way I have my reasons I don't call Jones's show any more. I challenged him many times on his show vs UK fb and like I said, I've talked to MB on things concerning the program at different events that I had questions about...you just keep making excuses of why you won't/don't.

What the hell are you talking about? I LOVED Boom and wish he had decided to come back. So you don't think it is weird that a kid dosen't stay for his senior year knowing he wasn't going to be drafted vs a kid knowing that he most surely would have been a high draft pick and decides to stay for his last year...nothing more , nothing less. Need to stop trying to get into my mind...you can't get there. By the way I have my reasons I don't call Jones's show any more. I challenged him many times on his show vs UK fb and like I said, I've talked to MB on things concerning the program at different events that I had questions about...you just keep making excuses of why you won't/don't.

You know what I am talking about, I am talking about your constant "Far the coaches" agenda, even though you admit it is futile at this point. What has loving Boom got to do with it, if you loved him does that mean you thought he was really good? Good enough for the draft?

Williams finished the 2016 season with 1,170 yards, the fifth-highest single season total in school history and the most since Artose Pinner ran for 1,414 yards in 2002. Williams' 6.8 yards per carry fell just shy of his own school record of 7.1 yards per carry set in 2015. What more did he have to prove, and wasn't he pretty injury prone, RBs usually don't last that long anyway. Wasn't he on the record as being pretty confident he would be drafted?

What was REALLY weird was Harris NOT entering the draft, I would be surprised if that doesn't cost him money in the long run. He could have been set up for life, and the risk is he could get nothing, at the least he will probably have one less year he could be earning big bucks. And he is built to take a beating a LOT better than Boom.

You can't have it both ways, you make it a big deal about having no draft choices when FIVE prospects that could have been drafted choose to come back for MORE of this staffs coaching and jump all over this when Boom chooses to enter early and doesn't make it.

Why do you care if I do or don't call either one of the asshats, got no use for either of them. When Jonesy started out I thought great, another UK blog, didn't take long arguing with the BB crowd that knows nothing about football and made fun of UK football constantly to swear I would never go back-----and I haven't. The way mitch supported (didn't) football for over a decade when we were fighting probation was inexcusable with predictable results-------CONSECUTIVE two win seasons, losses to BOTH in state schools with MUCH less resources and tradition, VERY few SEC level players, etc etc.

He didn't do the bare MINIMUM to support UK football for a dozen years coming off probation and when he lost the program AND 20,000 season ticket holders he did what he was forced to do-------started by obligating athletics for over $200,000,000 for a $130,000,000 project. That, along with the obscene money from the programs that weren't asleep at the wheel, plus selling CW and other rights, made his hollow excuses that football had to have a corner of a warehouse for a "recruiting room" much more obvious to everyone.

Lots of people I admire and would like to talk to------he isn't one of them. What do you think it would accomplish, lol.

So, why don't you talk to him any more, aren't you his buddy?

You know what I am talking about, I am talking about your constant "Far the coaches" agenda, even though you admit it is futile at this point. What has loving Boom got to do with it, if you loved him does that mean you thought he was really good? Good enough for the draft?

Williams finished the 2016 season with 1,170 yards, the fifth-highest single season total in school history and the most since Artose Pinner ran for 1,414 yards in 2002. Williams' 6.8 yards per carry fell just shy of his own school record of 7.1 yards per carry set in 2015. What more did he have to prove, and wasn't he pretty injury prone, RBs usually don't last that long anyway. Wasn't he on the record as being pretty confident he would be drafted?

What was REALLY weird was Harris NOT entering the draft, I would be surprised if that doesn't cost him money in the long run. He could have been set up for life, and the risk is he could get nothing, at the least he will probably have one less year he could be earning big bucks. And he is built to take a beating a LOT better than Boom.

You can't have it both ways, you make it a big deal about having no draft choices when FIVE prospects that could have been drafted choose to come back for MORE of this staffs coaching and jump all over this when Boom chooses to enter early and doesn't make it.

Why do you care if I do or don't call either one of the asshats, got no use for either of them. When Jonesy started out I thought great, another UK blog, didn't take long arguing with the BB crowd that knows nothing about football and made fun of UK football constantly to swear I would never go back-----and I haven't. The way mitch supported (didn't) football for over a decade when we were fighting probation was inexcusable with predictable results-------CONSECUTIVE two win seasons, losses to BOTH in state schools with MUCH less resources and tradition, VERY few SEC level players, etc etc.

He didn't do the bare MINIMUM to support UK football for a dozen years coming off probation and when he lost the program AND 20,000 season ticket holders he did what he was forced to do-------started by obligating athletics for over $200,000,000 for a $130,000,000 project. That, along with the obscene money from the programs that weren't asleep at the wheel, plus selling CW and other rights, made his hollow excuses that football had to have a corner of a warehouse for a "recruiting room" much more obvious to everyone.

Lots of people I admire and would like to talk to------he isn't one of them. What do you think it would accomplish, lol.

So many words. So little insight.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Nobody said a foundation. You're arguing points noone is making.

We need to cash in on elite in state talent. That doesn't even just go for us. It goes for every program.

In state recruits most often have ties to school already (usually strong points for us). They're close in proximity so they require less resources to recruit and that proximity is a great pitch to the family.
UK is becoming a primary recruiting stakeholder in Ohio and south Florida, while also adding Michigan, Maryland, Louisiana to the talent pool. Most reasonable people understand that Ohio and south Florida are more important pools of football talent than the instate pool. Stoops offered Harris and Wills. No school gets every player they offer. Every school misses on some instate recruits. It doesn't matter whom you or I think Stoops "should" sign. Stoops can't force them to sign. Stoops signs the best players he can sign, and he is the best recruiter we have had here.

Last edited:
Benny did not win the SEC rushing title,, in fact, he wasn't top two!
Wrong. Benny Snell won the regular season SEC rushing title. As you may recall, Benny was kicked out of our bowl game in the 1st quarter by an incompetent official. Thus, Kerryon Johnson and Darrius Guice surpassed Benny if rushing yardage from bowl games is added. But you missed my point. I would not trade Benny Snell for Damien Harris.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
UK is becoming a primary recruiting stakeholder in Ohio and south Florida, while also adding Michigan, Maryland, Louisiana to the talent pool. Most reasonable people understand that Ohio and south Florida are more important pools of football talent than the instate pool. Stoops offered Harris and Wills. No school gets every player they offer. Every school misses on some instate recruits. It doesn't matter whom you or I think Stoops "should" sign. Stoops can't force them to sign. Stoops signs the best players he can sign, and he is the best recruiter we have had here.

I don't know how many times you want to beat this dead horse.

I told you before, I agree with the concept you just posted. But that wasn't the issue I originally discussed.

I don't know how many times you want to beat this dead horse.

I told you before, I agree with the concept you just posted. But that wasn't the issue I originally discussed.
LOL! If you call responding to your posts "beating a dead horse", then you just want the last word. Several posters have asked you how you propose to force the instate players you want into signing with UK, but you still haven't addressed that.

Harris is a fine RB. He made an informed decision. I think people are overstating his draft stock this year, How many RBs would have been drafted before Harris? I think staying in school was a reasonable decision.

Harris obviously loves being at Bama and him staying may be a little surprising but after Chubb and Michel stayed for their sr year it wasn't shocking. Harris,Chubb and Michel have 1 thing in commom, all three had shared carries their entire careers, thus less wear and tear on them compared to true feature backs. The really surprising one to return is the Love kid from Stanford, but until this year he wasn't a featured back. Boom's plan,or his dad's plan was always to be a 3 and gone guy, it's really too bad he wasn't taught to be a better receiver/return guy to give him a better chance to make the league. Boom's quickness would have been a huge skill for him if he had been a punt returner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT