ADVERTISEMENT

Eli Brown transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems Stoops needs to spend time re-recruiting the players he has on campus unless grades was the problem. Stoops retention rate is not very good. Attrition is part of football everywhere, but it has hit many key players during the Stoops era.

Yeah, this move is not a surprise to me. I would prefer that he stay, but understand that he probably does not want spot minutes and then fight for the starters job next season. Hopefully, he can graduate before transferring. Interesting that a WKU reporter tweeted this first

Replacing Jones after Jones leaves is not a given.
Will be extremely surprised if he dosent end up at U6.

Geraldo Rivera board of directors is surprised :joy: so let’s lay this out CC, Jones out for a month (with a bruised shoulder) while Brown starts for that same period then Jones returns takes the role back has a ridiculous rest of the season on the field and walks off the the field to the locker room fights with coaches but yet he’s good 95% of the time :beer:
#youngstown cardinal :cheers2:
This is not rocket science.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
I'd have rather see Jones move onto NFL and have Brown starting WLB vs. this scenario. Plus we'd have two year of Brown and only one of Jones (and the garbage year he just put up).

A well prepared senior season would give him league potential, now he looks like UK's leftovers. Stupid move, in my opinion. It's a prick way of putting it, but the truth hurts.

Jones is a headcase and a liability.
All college football coaches deal with difficult kids from difficult backgrounds. That's part of the job. You may not know this, but Jordan Jones comes from the same high school as Stoops. It is rumored that Cardinal Mooney's coaches steered Jones to Stoops because they knew Stoops would watch over Jones and try to teach him about maturity. So when you think of Jones, consider that Stoops and Marrow are building recruiting pipelines into prominent high school football programs in Ohio. Even with all of Jones' issues, he still has a higher ceiling than Eli Brown as a Will linebacker. This is not a knock on Brown, a fine player in his own right. But because of Jones, Brown couldn't win playing time. That's why Brown is transferring. It's too bad. But we have Boogie Watson, and we just signed Chris Oats and DeAndre Square, all of whom are Will linebackers. Watson shined in last year's BWG. So while we hate to lose Brown, it won't hurt.

Reactions: BlueTick2
A well prepared senior season would give him league potential, now he looks like UK's leftovers. Stupid move, in my opinion. It's a prick way of putting it, but the truth hurts.

From the outside, it looks like a bad move. Two years at EKU may not be as influential to one year starting at UK, assuming he was the starter. There are too many unknowns here to assess his decision. If he can leave with a degree and grad transfer to a Div. I program and play more minutes, it could be a good decision. When a kid leaves in the spring before spring ball, it tells me something different than a decision after competing in the spring.

Reactions: matt_man
When a kid leaves in the spring before spring ball, it tells me something different than a decision after competing in the spring.

True. It tells you that he doesn't believe spring practice will work to his advantage, and/or that he has been on the verge of transferring for months now. Brown has stated in interviews that he intended to win the starting job. He played pretty well while Jordan Jones was hurt in September. When Jones returned and Brown's playing time immediately fell off a cliff, that must have been tough. I get it. But there was still a strong case for staying. My guess is that the hype surrounding the signing of Chris Oats was the last straw.

It currently appears that behind Jones, we will be taller at this position. As to Oats, maybe the comment about Oats being #2 was a reflection of the staff already knowing this decision or the final straw for Brown.

It currently appears that behind Jones, we will be taller at this position. As to Oats, maybe the comment about Oats being #2 was a reflection of the staff already knowing this decision or the final straw for Brown.
Maybe. But I will be shocked if Oats doesn't redshirt. The kid is 6-4 and 212 pounds. He needs conditioning, and our linebacker rotations are stacked even with Brown transferring. Jordan Jones and Josh Allen return. Kash Daniel has the inside track on the starting Mike job. If you saw last year's BWG, Boogie Watson and Jamin Davis were dominant. Daniel, Ware, Paschal were 4 star recruits and Jordan Wright turned down Alabama. Alex King was considered 1 of the top edge prospects in the Midwest. Now we have Oats and Square too. We are loaded at linebacker.

Didn't his father used to post on here? I'd like to hear his thoughts on the situation.

This opens up a scholarship. Could Kentucky be in line to add a grad transfer or a Juco?

He probably wants more playing time. There's nothing wrong with that. Good luck to the young man, unless he ends up at ul...

The loss of experienced depth hurts....period.
This. It seems like we keep losing our experienced depth and that hurts because injuries are inevitable in football. Now our backup will be someone with zero college experience.

It's too bad we could not get Eli and JJ on the field together because they are two of our better LB's.

Yikes. Guess he wanted two years to start and not one. Wonder where he’ll end up. Definitely a candidate for Stoops’ first transfer to end up at a P5.

I really like the raw talent of Jamin Davis and wonder if he could make the transition to Will but it’s not like Mike has much depth either.

I guess big story lines for spring ball are the QB race and the situation at ILB positions.

The loss of experienced depth hurts....period.
It would under different circumstances. But 3 starting linebackers and most of the significant backups return. Our linebacker rotations are loaded. UK still has Ware, Paschal, Allen, Watson, King, Daniel, Davis, Jones, Wright, King. Davis and Watson were the stars of the 2017 BWG. Given the returning depth, I still expect Square, Pierre, Oats to redshirt. Because of the abundance of linebackers, Bannerman was moved to tight end. If necessary, he can move back to linebacker.

It would under different circumstances. But 3 starting linebackers and most of the significant backups return. Our linebacker rotations are loaded. UK still has Ware, Paschal, Allen, Watson, King, Daniel, Davis, Jones, Wright, King. Davis and Watson were the stars of the 2017 BWG. Given the returning depth, I still expect Square, Pierre, Oats to redshirt. Because of the abundance of linebackers, Bannerman was moved to tight end. If necessary, he can move back to linebacker.
Ware, Paschal etc play different positions than Brown. Start shifting guys around then you run the risk of weakening multiple positions. Hope those guys can RS but if guys keep leaving that won't be possible. I'd rather have Brown than not, wish him well.

BTW, the Bannerman/TE thing didn't last long. He was moved back to LB according to reports on this board.

This is a big loss imo. I thought Brown showed he could be very effective against the run and will continue to get better. I know this kind of attrition occurs everywhere but we have lost several talented transfers lately and it stings. There has to be some phase on the personnel side of things where we catch a break to gain some advantage in closing the gap on the top half of our schedule.

Yep. Bad loss. Was only a slight drop off from Jones, if at all. I understand why he'd go somewhere for more playing time, I guess. But seems like he'd have to sit out and will wind up in about the same shape.

Like I've posted before, we need ky kids to start having success under stoops. This is 4 (Towles, Barker, Elam, Brown) off top of my head that flopped.

Not a good look. Kids take notice. High school coaches take notice.

Probably not a coincidence that wen completely struck out on instate players this past signing period.

Aren't you listening? We've got them waiting in line that are better. Let's see where he ends up.

Are you being serious ? A guy that came in, busted his ass, did his job, not one problem on or off the field v/s kids who have yet to play a snap? We do not have people waiting that are better NOW. Maybe 2 years from now after he would have graduated they might be.

It is pretty easy to see the issue. One kid does all the right things, one who is a loose cannon. Both fairly equal in talent, one gets the preferred treatment, but can you really count on him being there in the end without costing your team the game with bone headed plays. Take that how you may.

Yep. Bad loss. Was only a slight drop off from Jones, if at all. I understand why he'd go somewhere for more playing time, I guess. But seems like he'd have to sit out and will wind up in about the same shape.

Like I've posted before, we need ky kids to start having success under stoops. This is 4 (Towles, Barker, Elam, Brown) off top of my head that flopped.

Probably not a coincidence that wen completely struck out on instate players this past signing period.
Well, Towles WAS the starter, then left because he was passed over FOR a KY kid. THAT next Ky kid got hurt. Elam's failings are his own. So... I don't see a real trend of favoritism or neglect.

I'll give you Brown to a degree, though. So... I share everyone's dissatisfaction with this news. JJ drove me crazy this year. I frankly wish he had just declared and gotten the hell out EB's way. Well, he did not. Ultimately, however, I think EB has his own issues. He is still smallish and definitely not as physical as JJ. He is much like some WLB's of days past at UK, a SS playing his whole game at the second level. Fact is, his replacement is already on the team somewhere, and JJ DOES have a mountain of potential if he will just remove his head from the dark place he seems to want to leave it deposited to this point.

So, life for the BBN goes on. I wish him well, but at this rate he does not need to worry his draft status, or blame it on our staff. If he was All-World, JJ would be the one transferring. I'm tired of this "Ohio First" conspiracy theory stuff. Best of luck to him. I can see his perspective, but let's not act like our staff did anything but collect athletes and tell them to compete. He's apparently tired of competing.

Timing is quite strange to me. Why wouldn't you leave before the next semester starts?

Towles and Brown “flopped?” I seriously don’t know how a UK fan writes that. Barker has back surgery. Not sure how that is a flop. This is the sort of spin that I would expect from a UL fan.

Reactions: jauk11 and RV2
Ware, Paschal etc play different positions than Brown. Start shifting guys around then you run the risk of weakening multiple positions. Hope those guys can RS but if guys keep leaving that won't be possible. I'd rather have Brown than not, wish him well.
I get it, there are 4 starting linebacker positions in a 3-4. A lot of concern about Brown's departure probably boils down to Brown being a Kentuckian and Jordan Jones currently not being a popular player. We have several linebackers (Watson, Davis, Wright, King) capable of playing different linebacker positions, so there is some overlap. My point was that Brown is a solid player, but the impact of his departure is mitigated by the fact that Jones and Boogie Watson are back, and we still have 7-8 linebackers who could probably start for some decent P5 teams. It will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT