ADVERTISEMENT

EKU has approached the Sun Belt about moving up to D1 from 1-AA

JHB4UK

All-American
May 29, 2001

as an EKU alum, I say too little too late. Should have instigated this 20 years ago. But as a UK football fan I'm glad they did not, and hopefully will not be successful this time.

I don't know if they could've 20 yrs ago. The schools back then that were making the push to the Sunbelt were pretty good sized schools. EKU has just now reached that level.

I'm happy for them, but moving up to the Sunbelt doesn't mean as much as it once did. The power conferences cherry picked from the mid conferences. The mid conferences cherry picked from the lower conferences. Heck, CUSA these days is basically the old Sunbelt.....

Is Western still in the Sun Belt or did they move to Conference USA? The Eastern-Western game was a great rivalry back in the day. I would like to see them in the same conference on the same level again.

This is a joke. They have less than 5k fans at most games, I wonder how many of them are even paying customers. EKU sees what WKU has done, but WKU is a much better school academically.

This is a joke. They have less than 5k fans at most games, I wonder how many of them are even paying customers.

Lots of the original Sunbelt teams 10-15 yrs ago were about in the same boat. Didn't seem to matter. The schools made the jump......raked in A LOT more money......and expanded. Most of these teams don't average much more in attendance than then did before the jump.

Is Western still in the Sun Belt or did they move to Conference USA? The Eastern-Western game was a great rivalry back in the day. I would like to see them in the same conference on the same level again.
WKU is starting their second season in C-USA and are picked to win their division.

I have mixed feelings on this being an EKU alum. The money thing is hard to pass up but I would say EKU has not been able to get back to it's glory days from the 80's and 90's. WKU received a million dollar endorsement deal when they went 1-A. That makes a world of difference for a program the size of WKU and it would for EKU. I thought it was a mistake at the time to go 1-A for them but it has worked out for WKU after a couple rough years. The key is surviving those early years in 1A.

It would be good for EKU and good for UK since UK seems insistent on playing EKU periodically. At least it would give EKU a little legitimacy when UK beats them.

What does UK achieve by playing an in-state FCS school? Nothing. At least if they are an FBS school, regardless of the conference, they get a little more legitimacy.

as an EKU alum, I say too little too late. Should have instigated this 20 years ago. But as a UK football fan I'm glad they did not, and hopefully will not be successful this time.
I just stumbled across this, and to see an EKU alum say "hopefully (EKU) will not be successful this time" in their bid join A FBS conference because they are a " UK fan". Seriously, what does being a UK fan have to do with EKU moving forward. What a childish, immature and pathetic attitude. Any success that EKU has reflects positively on YOUR degree from EKU. I understand being a fan of other university sports teams, what I don't get is wishing bad things to the university that YOU graduated from. Makes no sense to have such little insight that you cannot see that a good things for EKU mean good things for EKU grads. It's almost like saying, hey, my kid does not make as much money, live in as an expensive house or drive a Mercedes, so I wish the kid down the street better things, think I'll adopt him and disclaim my own. Ridiculous and pathetic. If I have misunderstood your meaning, I apologize, if not, if the shoe fits wear it.
Btw, being an EKU alum, you should also know this, the leadership at EKU, the President and many of the BOR, have been inadequate and feeble, starting with Hankey Funderburke ( when EKU was at the top of FCS/IAA ) right on down to the one who just retired! Thankfully we now have administrative leadership that sees the big picture. I would hope that ALL alums would get on board. It does not hurt any other university in KY and why would you think otherwise? All of Kentucky suffers from negative stereotypes, we should, each and everyone be happy that anyone, and that includes university sports teams are successful! If you don't think stereotyping everyone from KY is not an issue, then you don't get out much!

Last edited:
I think having another FBS program in Kentucky is great. Would give more opportunities to KY athletes.

Morehead State on the other hand....what the heck are they doing? They are FCS so they're D1, but they don't offer athletic scholarships for football because they play in the pioneer division. I mean what the heck...if you're gonna be D1, why hand cuff yourself against other D1 opponents. Either give out Schollies to your players or move down to D2 in football.

I think having another FBS program in Kentucky is great. Would give more opportunities to KY athletes.

Morehead State on the other hand....what the heck are they doing? They are FCS so they're D1, but they don't offer athletic scholarships for football because they play in the pioneer division. I mean what the heck...if you're gonna be D1, why hand cuff yourself against other D1 opponents. Either give out Schollies to your players or move down to D2 in football.

"D2" gives scholarships, just not as many (36 total). Division 3 doesn't.

"D2" gives scholarships, just not as many (36 total). Division 3 doesn't.

The point is MSU is d1, and they don't give scholarships for football. They are handicapping themselves because they can't accept transfers that have surpassed the 5 year rule and they can't recruit against other d1aa opponents because they don't offer scholarships. Makes absolutely no sense what they're doing with they're football program.

As an EKU alum I hope it works out for them. They'd bring a solid basketball program, olympic sports are growing, and their football has a tradition even if it is FCS. I think they'd be a good add for the Sun Belt. EKU got a big donation from the Dizneys to construct a new stadium addition that will replace what used to be metal bleachers on the visitor side of the field.

eku_football_rendering_2.jpg

(Older rendering. I think some updates have been made, but can't find the photo.)

This project is scheduled to be completed before next season. If only they could get Roy Kidd Stadium torn down and replaced by a modern 15,000 seat stadium with amenities and suites to go along with the new addition above. I think that would provide a solid foundation football wise to grow into a competitive lower FBS school from a facilities standpoint.

They are also putting $15 million worth of upgrades into other athletic facilities. It doesn't sound like much, but that is some serious money being put into the athletics programs for their size. WKU performed similar investments toward their programs prior to getting the nod to move up.

Reactions: footballfanatic77
As an EKU alum I hope it works out for them. They'd bring a solid basketball program, olympic sports are growing, and their football has a tradition even if it is FCS. I think they'd be a good add for the Sun Belt. EKU got a big donation from the Dizneys to construct a new stadium addition that will replace what used to be metal bleachers on the visitor side of the field.

eku_football_rendering_2.jpg

(Older rendering. I think some updates have been made, but can't find the photo.)

This project is scheduled to be completed before next season. If only they could get Roy Kidd Stadium torn down and replaced by a modern 15,000 seat stadium with amenities and suites to go along with the new addition above. I think that would provide a solid foundation football wise to grow into a competitive lower FBS school from a facilities standpoint.

They are also putting $15 million worth of upgrades into other athletic facilities. It doesn't sound like much, but that is some serious money being put into the athletics programs for their size. WKU performed similar investments toward their programs prior to getting the nod to move up.

When I was there that building was dank, leaked, and in terrible shape but nothing would be done to it because it was going to be a multi-million dollar project to bring it to code which had to be done to work on it.. Might have been enough money to do something like it sounds like is being done on the other side to start over with new construction but to outright re-do the stadium in a modern style they'd have to have the space and cash to put up a new classroom building to replace Begley and to renovate they'd have to have the cash to bring it up to code.

That could all be BS from the offices and departments housed at Begley bitter over being in such a terrible building, but it's what I heard while I was taking classes there in 2010-2011.

No offense to any of you EKU alums, but F EKU and really any other in-state school. UK has in the past propped these schools up and then it turns around and bites UK in the ass. See UL, WKU. EKU has already become an annoyance.

If they move to D1, take them off the schedule. No need at being the superbowl for someone in football like we've been for Western. Play some other cupcake who wont gameplan their entire offseason just to beat us.

Its nothing but risk for UK, with no reward.

Reactions: I need this
The point is MSU is d1, and they don't give scholarships for football. They are handicapping themselves because they can't accept transfers that have surpassed the 5 year rule and they can't recruit against other d1aa opponents because they don't offer scholarships. Makes absolutely no sense what they're doing with they're football program.

OK, I don't know anything about their situation. I'm a little sensitive about the divisions because I graduated from a Division III school (was NAIA but still non-scholarship when I was there ages ago). There seems to be confusion on this and other boards (not you) about the divisions. especially FCS vs Division II. The total football scholarship limits go 85-63-36 for FBS, FCS, and Division II respectively. I don't think FBS schools are allowed to ever play Division II in football, anyone know for sure?

No offense to any of you EKU alums, but F EKU and really any other in-state school. UK has in the past propped these schools up and then it turns around and bites UK in the ass. See UL, WKU. EKU has already become an annoyance.
"F EKU", but no offense...okay buddy, that's not "offensive", of course someone saying that to me everyday, makes my day...yeah, right. Contrary to what you think, UK has not propped up EKU, playing EKU is no different than UK playing Louisanna Lafayette, Jacksonville State, or any others we could name. Your athletic department offers the money and schools take it. So what? UK is no different from any other school in the SEC, Big 10, ACC, etc. Honestly I wish EKU never played UK in anything, we can make just as much $$ playing other monied schools and without all the crap. I don't get all the anger, but I'll tell you this, you are not our Super Bowl, we realize that UK has more resources than we do and it is what it is. Fans of other state schools understand the hierarchy of athletics and most of us ATTENDED and Graduated from the University we are fans of.

When I was there that building was dank, leaked, and in terrible shape but nothing would be done to it because it was going to be a multi-million dollar project to bring it to code which had to be done to work on it.. Might have been enough money to do something like it sounds like is being done on the other side to start over with new construction but to outright re-do the stadium in a modern style they'd have to have the space and cash to put up a new classroom building to replace Begley and to renovate they'd have to have the cash to bring it up to code.

That could all be BS from the offices and departments housed at Begley bitter over being in such a terrible building, but it's what I heard while I was taking classes there in 2010-2011.

It's my understanding that Wallace and the old Moore Science building were being renovated and were going to be used to carry the load for some of those programs that were in facilities such a RKS. Who knows though really.

Here is a master plan of a new west side of the stadium which has been in discussions recently. IDK if it will ever happen, but they are indeed looking to potentially start on it shortly after the new addition on the visitors (east) side. I believe this plan came from a booster in a recent meeting regarding the stadium and athletics facilities and has not been officially released as of yet. Take it for what its worth.

Link below: See page 3 for new west side rendering. Keep in mind this is not official and probably a VERY early rendering. At least gives an idea for what they are wanting to do.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31129345/Attachment A 20150625143056729.pdf

It's my understanding that Wallace and the old Moore Science building were being renovated and were going to be used to carry the load for some of those programs that were in facilities such a RKS. Who knows though really.

Here is a master plan of a new west side of the stadium which has been in discussions recently. IDK if it will ever happen, but they are indeed looking to potentially start on it shortly after the new addition on the visitors (east) side. I believe this plan came from a booster in a recent meeting regarding the stadium and athletics facilities and has not been officially released as of yet. Take it for what its worth.

Link below: See page 3 for new west side rendering. Keep in mind this is not official and probably a VERY early rendering. At least gives an idea for what they are wanting to do.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31129345/Attachment A 20150625143056729.pdf
I think what you posted was basically what was shown to the Colonel Club event several weeks ago, and baseball and softball stadiums upgrades were also introduced. I think the consensus is that something has to be done to the home/concrete home side as it is literally falling apart, it us unsafe, and regardless of where our football program is, it has to be renovated and most likely torn down. All the athletic renovations are in addition to a major university facilities overhaul. If you attended EKU you know the leadership has been lacking and borderline pathetic since the Funderburke years in the 1980's and 90's. That's the reason EKU did not capitalize on their FCS success and on a move, no foresight or innovated thinking on the part of those in charge

"F EKU", but no offense...okay buddy, that's not "offensive", of course someone saying that to me everyday, makes my day...yeah, right. Contrary to what you think, UK has not propped up EKU, playing EKU is no different than UK playing Louisanna Lafayette, Jacksonville State, or any others we could name. Your athletic department offers the money and schools take it. So what? UK is no different from any other school in the SEC, Big 10, ACC, etc. Honestly I wish EKU never played UK in anything, we can make just as much $$ playing other monied schools and without all the crap. I don't get all the anger, but I'll tell you this, you are not our Super Bowl, we realize that UK has more resources than we do and it is what it is. Fans of other state schools understand the hierarchy of athletics and most of us ATTENDED and Graduated from the University we are fans of.

Man, good point. You attended and graduated from the prestigious Eastern Kentucky University and you cheer for them? That's awesome. I doubt any UK fans actually attended or attend UK or anything. Tell us more about the "hierarchy of athletics" please. Whine about what UK fans think some more. Richmond is a dump, the EKU campus is a dump and yet you're here acting like a little baby cause a few people don't care for EKU and don't want to assist them if they were to go Div 1 (which will never happen). On top of that, you're also an idiot UofL fan (ColonelCard), apparently? Whatever.

Enjoy the UK-EKU game in October. It won't be pretty. It'll be a good reality check for your "student athletes" that seem to think they're big time.

An EKU fan with a huge chip on his shoulder, lol. Okay buddy.

Man, good point. You attended and graduated from the prestigious Eastern Kentucky University and you cheer for them? That's awesome. I doubt any UK fans actually attended or attend UK or anything. Tell us more about the "hierarchy of athletics" please. Whine about what UK fans think some more. Richmond is a dump, the EKU campus is a dump and yet you're here acting like a little baby cause a few people don't care for EKU and don't want to assist them if they were to go Div 1 (which will never happen). On top of that, you're also an idiot UofL fan (ColonelCard), apparently? Whatever.

Enjoy the UK-EKU game in October. It won't be pretty. It'll be a good reality check for your "student athletes" that seem to think they're big time.

An EKU fan with a huge chip on his shoulder, lol. Okay buddy.

Pretty much. This dude's attitude is what the WKU fanbase has now towards UK. I can remember when WKU was largely respectful and brotherly. Now it resembles ColonelCard's EKU stance. But by all means, let's keep playing these guys. Maybe we can start a series with Centre or Northern Kentucky?

I have many friends and relatives who are UK fans and graduates. Never have one of them said,
"F EKU". Nothing I said was disrespectful to UK in any way. Cats 78 and I need this, no, I did not kiss your 'azz' and maybe that's the issue, but that won't happen any time soon. This started as a discussion about EKU and the Sun Belt, and quickly ran into a few folks showing how childish and immature they can be, as in " I don't want any other school in KY to be successful". This I can assure you. Whether EKU moves to FBS ( we are already DI) will not have one iota of a thing to do with UK helping us out. I mean no disrespect here to those who have been discussing this in an adult manner, the rest of this crap is just a case of my dogs bigger than yours and how dare you not roll over and kiss my behind. Pathetic immature silliness.

Graduated from EKU in '80 and '81. They had great Football teams when I was there....could have beaten UK a few of those years....did beat ul near or about that time. Still, I was a UK fan first, EKU second ( in Football).

IMO, some make too much of wku's two wins over Ky. Both happened when we were bottoming out from JP and an overall lack of athletic leadership. wku is no threat to UK. Any wku moron that would say otherwise is ....well a moron. UK has not "propped" them up...there's nothing to indicate they are even "up" at all. Small time program that has had a modicum of success in a nothing conference. IF EKU goes D1, they will have at least the same level of success.

With the exception of recent events, UK/EKU have had a very good relationship. Most of the EKU students I knew were UK fans. That's probably true today.

If Eastern goes D1, I'll buy season tickets for both EKU and UK.

Reactions: KentUcKy-Kats
OK, I don't know anything about their situation. I'm a little sensitive about the divisions because I graduated from a Division III school (was NAIA but still non-scholarship when I was there ages ago). There seems to be confusion on this and other boards (not you) about the divisions. especially FCS vs Division II. The total football scholarship limits go 85-63-36 for FBS, FCS, and Division II respectively. I don't think FBS schools are allowed to ever play Division II in football, anyone know for sure?

You are correct on the scholarship limits. Morehead is FCS (D1aa)....but they are part of the pioneer football league in which none of the participating schools give out football scholarships. Which is ridiculous. My situation is similar to yours, which is why it aggravates me that MSU is capable but not willing of giving out athletic scholarships for football. Asinine.

I still think EKU becoming an FBS school is a good move and not just for EKU. The state of Kentucky needs more of a football culture and having more schools in the mid-majors can only help to establish that culture. That would increase the number of high school students playing football and likely improve the quality of high school athletics, which would in turn improve recruiting in the state. UK will always be the flagship school in Kentucky. Having Ohio, Toledo, Cincinnati, Bowling Green, Akron, Miami (forgive me if I missed anybody) in the mid-majors doesn't hurt Ohio State. In fact, I can name a lot of examples of FCS schools moving to FBS schools coinciding with an increase in recruiting, but none where that kind of move hurt other schools in the area.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT