ADVERTISEMENT

EJ Montgomery Baseline Jumper

Hard to see where his skillset even fits in right now. Jumpers don't fall and inconsistent down low. Hopefully with Nick back in he can get going.. still hoping the switch flips for EJ this season at some point (preferrably 2nite).

Most pussyfooted player in Cals tenure. I would say Skal except for the game he showed some nuts against LSU.
Maybe he just needs more time. There are spurts. Remember Nick as a sophomore last year? Mostly a mess.

EJ is a 4 year player. Just keep making strides.

Reactions: UKhoopCat
EJ needs to let go of that jump shot.

Brooks needs to stop with his constant 3 point shot.

And...Hagans kills me with that run up 3 point shot. Hit a big one at half, but more often than not, it's a miss.

Was there not a game a few weeks ago where he was making these like crazy and carried us in the game for a bit? The UAB game maybe?

He can make those shots, but the problem is that it isn't quite automatic enough to warrant them, and the timing of them is often poor. Personally, would like to see him get to the FT line early and see those go in and then work him the baseline jumper once or twice to see if it is falling. Get his confidence up and he'll play more like Nick has played.

Man lot of hate going on. EJ is a limited player but I don't think he's as bad as some think. He still could develop into a nice player but he's one that will take time. He's much too weak to be effective inside. And he doesn't have much of a outside game. Right now he's shooting outside shots because that's his only real choice. He's not strong enough to play inside right now. He really needs to develop his body and get stronger. Maybe next year he'll be good but right now there isn't much he can do. Even smaller players can push him around.

Hate to dis on a player, but what does he do for us??

IMO, right now he is just worth five more fouls in the post, not much else.

He did have GREAT pass last night on the fast break to Nick though. Maybe passing is his forte??

Reactions: Bcat44
Playing time usually helps you get better, EJ has some kind of flip on his release that puts spin on the ball and unless it's right in the basket it's going to bounce off. In close it might bounce around and go in but I'm sure the staff notices it. It's his future I hope he gets it, what he needs to do.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
WOW...the vitriol on this young man. He is a CAT and is what he is. He doesn't deserve all this!

I'd say it's likely most of these posters have never played organized basketball past middle school and judging a player by how many point they score. There are many things that go unnoticed by many fans that contribute to a team effort. Yes, I agree that EJ has weaknesses but come on have some compassion for one of our own. When, if ever he figures it out, the abilities he has will be praised. Some players just take longer to develop than others. When he finally is able to just play and not think about what to do you'll see a different player. Same thing for Whitney, both have to think rather than react to there flow of the game.

IMO, right now he is just worth five more fouls in the post, not much else.

He did have GREAT pass last night on the fast break to Nick though. Maybe passing is his forte??
He did! That was a huge play in the game, EJ has moments I just don’t feel like he’s consistent enough

EJ's definitely been disappointing but people calling for him to get benched are off their rocker. We NEED him to develop and get better. And while I like Brooks' potential, think he's going to be a very nice player in time, EJ's absolutely outperformed Brooks. But yes, EJ has got to fall out of love with that baseline jumper. He's an ok rebounder and needs to work on improving his play in the post. His defensive positioning has been better these last few games. Early in the UL game I was calling EJ out over and over on both ends in the first half, he was just repeatedly in a terrible position on defense or throwing up a bad shot on offense but he's played much better since then.

EJ needs to let go of that jump shot.

Brooks needs to stop with his constant 3 point shot.

And...Hagans kills me with that run up 3 point shot. Hit a big one at half, but more often than not, it's a miss.
We need Brooks to take and make those. He needs to develop a Kevin Knox like offensive game and part of that is his length and the ability to get a shot off with someone in his face. And with Hagans you are so wrong about that lol. Since the Lamar game Hagans is shooting 46% from 3.

We need Brooks to take and make those. He needs to develop a Kevin Knox like offensive game and part of that is his length and the ability to get a shot off with someone in his face. And with Hagans you are so wrong about that lol. Since the Lamar game Hagans is shooting 46% from 3.

When Ashton is squared, set, and isn't rushing a shot, I don't mind it. But when he's 10 feet back and running up to the line and trying to stop on a dime and launch a rushed 3--I think that's a bad shot.

As for Brooks. Maybe he needs to be that guy next year. But right now he just needs to hustle and score on the inside off passes and putbacks. We absolutely don't need him shooting several 3's per game. He's shooting 21% on the season. He can develop it in practice He can develop it in the off-season. He doesn't need to be out there in close games working on his 3 point shot.

EJ has a role to fill on this team. Does he want it enough has always been my question about him.

Just seems like he thot he could come to UK and then OAD to the NBA because that’s just what happens.

IMO he’s yet to figure out it takes a lot more effort than he’s put out heretofore. The ball is in his court.

Last year, after a game where he had a productive stretch, Cal said something like “we need to find him more minutes”.

But that’s just it with EJ. He gets way more minutes now but still only shows those occasional flashes of production.
Like we’ve read about since last night: got some rebounds, made a great pass, etc. Again, EJ, it’s up to you if you’re going to get better. It isn’t just “going to happen” because you showed up in Lexington.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT