ADVERTISEMENT

Edwards

What good is a player that doesn't drop 30 and shoot 80% in their first game against the number 1 ranked team in the country. Ain't no second chances here. This is KY, we eat our young.

Nothing wrong with Edwards or Wagner. They need to be given time to get their feet on the ground. Come March, we'll need them at their best.

I honestly don’t know what some want from him, like sophomore PJ Washington? I mean 12/5 a game is damn good for a college player and I could easily see him getting there.

He was the #1 recruit and billed as a better mkg. I agree 10/5 in the flow of the game isn't bad. It just isn't what we expected.

10/5 after clanking several jumpers isn't great, which is exactly what he did vs ku. He should never take a 3 and he should constantly work on his handle

This brings back memories of the fierce debates found in past threads titled "BJ" and " Skal". And who can forget the timeless classic titles "Poythress" and "Archie"? lol

It seems like him and Wagner are being judged on a different scale. Just because they each haven’t had a game where they had say 25 and led us in everything. It’s been 4 games and there is stiff competition for stats on this team. As far as I’m concerned if him and Wagner are our 6 or 7th best players then this team is way better than we thought.
I honestly don't think that is fully it. I think it is because they have been getting outplayed by the their teammates every game, yet we are forced into a starting lineup that starts every half down 8-0 because we are a guard heavy 3 point shooting team and we are hell bent on starting 3/4 of our worst shooting rotation players. Anyone who has watched our games so far knows the best 5 have been Shepherd, Dillingham, Reeves, Thiero, Mitchell and then Burks, Edwards, Wagner would be your bench. Now if you want to feed me something about needing Edwards later in the year so we should start him instead of one of those 3 guards i could understand that, but forcing both Edwards and Wagner together when it continually get you in obvious holes is going to bring backlash on the two guys who shouldn't be in that starting lineup whether it is fair to them or not.

It’s been 4 games, I’m not making any overall big picture assumptions on a player 4 games into his college career. Edwards will be fine and find a groove eventually, Kentucky needs him along with Wagner to be good
Okay, sure. He’ll be fine. I’m confident of that. But we were being told #1 draft pick good and there is just no indication of that so far.

Reactions: UKortho
Okay, sure. He’ll be fine. I’m confident of that. But we were being told #1 draft pick good and there is just no indication of that so far.
Number one pick is a stretch he can still develop into a really good player and a lottery pick still which he probably still is

What I notice most is that he appears soft with weak hands. I like Edwards and he seems to be a very nice young man who is working hard. However, and JMO, he needs to spend a lot of extra time in developing his strength. Just think, if Shep and Dilly had not been better that advertised and Thiero and Mitchell better than thought to be where would this team be now?

Last edited:
It’s been 4 games, I’m not making any overall big picture assumptions on a player 4 games into his college career. Edwards will be fine and find a groove eventually, Kentucky needs him along with Wagner to be good
It has been four games, but it isn't like these kids came from local off the radar high schools. These kids have been groomed for years to handle the stage they are now playing on. It is nothing but a bunch of hollow excuses to suggest that two players who look very average just needs a little time to shake their jitters. If it is jitters they are dealing with, they should spend more time on the bench until they get their jitters under control. Kentucky is about the team and not just about a couple of players. This isn't an NBA farm team whose primary purpose is to develop NBA players.

Last edited:
It’s four freaking games.

And he scored 16 and 12 and shot 11/20 his first two games.

Bunch of morons around here right now.
Are you unable to express your differing opinion without the name calling? It really isn't that hard to do. Name calling doesn't make your position more acceptable. It makes people less likely to want to even read your post. Time will tell whose opinions are right.

Sheppard wasn’t hyped to come in and set the world on fire, Edwards absolutely was. Your comparison make zero sense.
Calling him lazy is certainly off base but criticizing him for not producing is fair game since he is being well compensated. He isn't at the Boys and Girls Club where everyone gets a trophy.

What I notice most is that he appears soft with weak hands. I like Edwards and he seems to be a very nice young man who is working hard. However, and JMO, he needs to spend a lot of extra time in developing his strength. Just think, if Shep and Dilly had not been better that advertised and Thiero and Mitchell better than thought to be where would this team be now?

Exactly, That's why I'm a bit worried but nowhere close to giving up on him like some of the crazies in this thead want to suggest (I think chat boards are too hard for them, they should try hopscotch or jacks).

Anyway, he seems like he's in slow motion and telegraphing things. Hope to see that fast twitch muscle and decisivness. I wonder if he's slightly out of shape for the speed we're playing? He looked like he was about to pass out towards the end. This team ROLLS if/when he becomes solid and Bradshaw gets into the mix. Looking forward to watching it play out.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
It’s four freaking games.

And he scored 16 and 12 and shot 11/20 his first two games.

Bunch of morons around here right now.

I'll be dang! I got mean mouthed.

You sound like the only one standing on the ledge of life my boy.

We usually have 3 guards in the lineup so he is basically playing the 4 spot. If we can ever get a 7' to play this year maybe it will help?
This is it exactly...kid's not only trying to transition from hs to college ball, but has to do it playing out of his natural position. I believe he'll be fine by mid-conference play. I predict right now that if it hasn't happened previously, he has his "coming out party" against gonzaga

I honestly don't think that is fully it. I think it is because they have been getting outplayed by the their teammates every game, yet we are forced into a starting lineup that starts every half down 8-0 because we are a guard heavy 3 point shooting team and we are hell bent on starting 3/4 of our worst shooting rotation players. Anyone who has watched our games so far knows the best 5 have been Shepherd, Dillingham, Reeves, Thiero, Mitchell and then Burks, Edwards, Wagner would be your bench. Now if you want to feed me something about needing Edwards later in the year so we should start him instead of one of those 3 guards i could understand that, but forcing both Edwards and Wagner together when it continually get you in obvious holes is going to bring backlash on the two guys who shouldn't be in that starting lineup whether it is fair to them or not.
At this point in time, DJ and Justin shouldn't be on the floor together. Both are struggling to put the ball in teh hole, which puts too much pressure on the other 3 players to carry the scoring

Reactions: LmdCat and rob_47
Edwards value to the NBA will be as a 3 and D guy like Trevor Ariza.
I don't think we will ever see anything close to his best basketball here at UK.
Right now he's well behind guys like Brandon Miller, RJ Barrett or Harrison Barnes as a scorer and definitely doesn't have the MKG motor.
He could probably use another year like PJ and Quick but I doubt he will fall and lower than mid to late first.

Was never high on his film. Don't think he does anything well. Not athletic, can't really shoot, average ball handling skills, and doesn't really finish at the rim. Some of these talent scouts must smoke crack.
Cue the "you don't know Jack squat" even thought you're literally saying what was in the scouting reports. Do people objectively read those things?

Reactions: Mike-D
competition on this level is a lot different than the aau circuit seems he wants to pass on open shots
I don't agree. He wasn't facing an opponent that had anyone on the team that should have made him nervous. He practices every day with some of the best players in the country. Whatever the reason for his performance the team shouldn't have to suffer the results of his inability to answer the bell.

• Haha
Reactions: DreadLox
I don't agree. He wasn't facing an opponent that had anyone on the team that should have made him nervous. He practices every day with some of the best players in the country. Whatever the reason for his performance the team shouldn't have to suffer the results of his inability to answer the bell.
didn't see team pay any price and confidence has to do with one's self not the competition

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT