ADVERTISEMENT

Edwards

That’s it. He’s pressing. Would like to get some rim protection behind him and let him focus on D and getting out in the open court.
Right now his role is playing PF, protecting the paint, and rebounding. His game is mismatching smaller 3’s and outrunning 4’s. He needs to get his 3 point shot consistently at this level and as you said with actual big men he can play more to his strengths. He has all the tools.

Is this just a case of a massive rankings miss? The way they talked about him last year, I thought we were getting a left-handed Ron Mercer.

I mean I've seen NOTHING he can build upon.

Were we sold a bad bill of goods?
Skal 2.0

• Wow
Reactions: catben
SGA wasn’t great in his first four games did everybody say he sucked to and is lazy and soft. Edward & Wagner are figuring out how they fit on this team, they will be alright
If you look historically at even some of our better players anything around 10ppg and 5RPg is very solid for any Freshman. He’s very close to that tonight. If he puts up that every game we will be fine and so will he.

Was never high on his film. Don't think he does anything well. Not athletic, can't really shoot, average ball handling skills, and doesn't really finish at the rim. Some of these talent scouts must smoke crack.
You take away those stars by his name and you wonder if he is even high D1 material.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Fox2monk and Aike
Was never high on his film. Don't think he does anything well. Not athletic, can't really shoot, average ball handling skills, and doesn't really finish at the rim. Some of these talent scouts must smoke crack.
So you think he isn’t good then

Edwards doesn't have a right hand. Guys just overplay his left and he has no answer. That's why he struggles getting to the rim.

His jumper isnt broken but is a long way from being a shooter
Which is part of what he needs to get used to at this level. He had 12/5 against New Mexico State, and 9/5/1 tonight. In no way is that bad numbers for a Freshman, even a highly rated one.

I thought someone highjacked your account for a second. I knew you wouldn’t make such as outrageously crazy take this early at least.
Yep. Just thought I would make someone laugh lol. I am not known for my humor :)

I thought someone highjacked your account for a second. I knew you wouldn’t make such as outrageously crazy take this early at least.
I honestly don’t know what some want from him, like sophomore PJ Washington? I mean 12/5 a game is damn good for a college player and I could easily see him getting there.

Reactions: UKortho
If the worst Edwards gives is 10 and 5 then I will still look at him as being a success. I think he gets better like you said as the season goes on
I don’t see how you couldn’t call those numbers good. If we recruited someone and said okay this dude will guarantee you 10-12/5-6 rebounds a game as a freshman. Everybody would take that all day no questions. Let’s say he is around there and scouts decide he’s not ready. Even better! We get him 2 years and I guarantee a sophomore version of him will be PJ Washington like. Probably not the shooter but pure production.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
I totally agree. Couldn't have said it better myself. Literally just dropped 16 points a week ago.
It seems like him and Wagner are being judged on a different scale. Just because they each haven’t had a game where they had say 25 and led us in everything. It’s been 4 games and there is stiff competition for stats on this team. As far as I’m concerned if him and Wagner are our 6 or 7th best players then this team is way better than we thought.

I don’t see how you couldn’t call those numbers good. If we recruited someone and said okay this dude will guarantee you 10-12/5-6 rebounds a game as a freshman. Everybody would take that all day no questions. Let’s say he is around there and scouts decide he’s not ready. Even better! We get him 2 years and I guarantee a sophomore version of him will be PJ Washington like. Probably not the shooter but pure production.
I agree but there isn’t any scenario where Edwards comes back he is long gone once the season is over

Reactions: Fox2monk
If you've not seen anything build upon, you're blind. Just because he's struggled so far doesn't mean he isn't as talented as we thought coming out of HS. He and Wagner both have all the upside in the world, and not reaching it 4 games into their freshman season is absolutely nothing to get worried about. Come January, sure we can start this post again.
The only REAL judge is performance. Not talk ,hype or buzz nor NBA projections. Will he get better,I hope so because he has NOT performed so far in college. Everyone keeps saying hes "fine". This kid was supposed to be the best incoming freshman in the country, so yes based on his performance so far ,he is a massive whiff. All you guys saying he will get better are basing it on hope. I hope you are right

Reactions: dl51344
Edwards needs some moves around the basket. He's had his shot blocked too many times. He's used to going straight up and overpowering smaller players in Highschool. That won't fly against cupcake teams much less high level d1 teams.

Who knows after 4 games. We can speculate, sure. He has shown to be a solid defender so far and he's rebounded a little over 5 a game. Also shot 62% from the floor. Ofc the one game he played against top competition he was 0-3...... All small sample sizes. Just like 4 games is a small sample size to determine if he's a bust or not.
He’s had 12/5/1, 16/7/1, 1/4/2, and 9/5/1. So it seems to me that 3/4 games he’s lived up to his billing. Those are not bad numbers at all on a team this good. He’s not asked to get 20 a game, nor needed too. Pretty consistent, so if he gets say 12/6 a game this year that’s all you can ask of a Freshman. Those are good numbers for anyone starting in D1 honestly. Hell Reeves only averaged 14.7 a game or something last year and he was our offense half the year outside Oscar.

Edwards needs some moves around the basket. He's had his shot blocked too many times. He's used to going straight up and overpowering smaller players in Highschool. That won't fly against cupcake teams much less high level d1 teams.
All part of learning how to score at this level. He will figure that out and tape will show that to him.

Reactions: cal=8
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT