ADVERTISEMENT

Edwards reminds me of Monk

wildcatsincebirth

Sophomore
Dec 12, 2010
Similar build, similar game. Edwards’ shot isn’t as pretty as Monk’s but hey, it’s been going in.

Edwards looks like the guy that, when we need a bucket late in the second, and we’re in a 3+ min scoring drought, he will grab the ball and get us a bucket.

Edwards is a true 3. Monk was a 2. They both were 3 level scorers.

He’s going to be a stud, I don’t know who he’s like but by January he’s gonna be a problem!

He reminds me of a Michael Kidd-Gilchrist with a jump shot. He's got a nose for the ball. He's a great athlete. He can win games without scoring in bunches. He can defend bigger guys. He stuffs the stat sheet. He's just a winner who makes winning plays. MKG did all of that but had a jump shot that was just awful. Edwards can shoot it, too. I wouldn't say he's a great shooter but he can make shots and seems better in clutch moments.

Think beyond Kentucky, folks. When this kid bulks up, he's going to look a lot like Steve Smith from Michigan State.

Reactions: Montana81
He reminds me of a Michael Kidd-Gilchrist with a jump shot. He's got a nose for the ball. He's a great athlete. He can win games without scoring in bunches. He can defend bigger guys. He stuffs the stat sheet. He's just a winner who makes winning plays. MKG did all of that but had a jump shot that was just awful. Edwards can shoot it, too. I wouldn't say he's a great shooter but he can make shots and seems better in clutch moments.
That’s who he reminds me of too for recent players. Strong, not as athletic, better shooter, rebounds hard. Both can play a PF role in a pinch in college.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
OP, I agree. I've been struggling to pinpoint exactly who he reminds me of, and it is partly Monk, but I think there is someone else who fits better. But Monk definitely came to mind.

Player comparisons on this board get more and more ridiculous. If their faces are similar, they must play the same as well. Or some such logic. Since we’re being stupid, I think a better comparison would be Aminu Timberlake.

I mean, Monk and MKG? Really? I question whether these posters have actually seen them play before.

Last edited:
Similar build, similar game. Edwards’ shot isn’t as pretty as Monk’s but hey, it’s been going in.

Edwards looks like the guy that, when we need a bucket late in the second, and we’re in a 3+ min scoring drought, he will grab the ball and get us a bucket.
Their builds are nothing alike. They are completely different. Monk is a guard. Edwards is a combo forward, 5-6 inches taller and quite a bit stronger. What you probably noticed is that both are aggressive with their offensive games. But I do not remember a basketball player with a floor game like Edwards at UK for a long, long time.

Last edited:
Player comparisons on this board get more and more ridiculous. If their faces are similar, they must play the same as well. Or some such logic. Since we’re being stupid, I think a better comparison would be Aminu Timberlake.

I mean, Monk and MKG? Really? I question whether these posters have actually seen them play before.
The nature of a comparison is that it isn't exact. I said he reminds me of a Michael Kidd-Gilchrist with a jump shot. I think it's a very good comparison.

Similarities: Both guys are tremendous athletes. Both guys are scrappers. Both guys are playmakers. Both guys will do whatever you need doing in order to win games. Both guys are stat-sheet stuffers- points, rebounds, blocks, steals, assists, etc. Both are 6-7 and play small forward or power forward in a pinch. Both guys step up at key moments- they don't shy away from the moment.

Differences: biggest difference is Edwards has a much better jump shot and he can shoot it with range. MKG couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Edwards appears to be a better ball handler than MKG was. MKG seems like he was stronger while at UK.

As for the Monk comparison, I don't see it. Monk was more a pure shooter, scorer and didn't have the all-around game I see with Edwards (or with MKG). He's 3/4 inches shorter and was pretty much a shooting guard and couldn't really do much else.

But hey, it's not stupid to make comparisons. Why don't you tell us why the comparisons don't make sense to you instead of just brushing it aside with "stupid."

Last edited:
Reactions: zerubbable
OP, I agree. I've been struggling to pinpoint exactly who he reminds me of, and it is partly Monk, but I think there is someone else who fits better. But Monk definitely came to mind.
He scores at all levels like Monk with the height and stature of Darius Miller.

Kinda reminds me of Prince only a better ball handler

He scores at all levels like Monk with the height and stature of Darius Miller.
Tre Mitchell, Antonio Reeves, DJ Wagner, and Reed Sheppard score at all three levels. Monk and Miller were primarily perimeter scorers. There is no valid comp between Edwards and Monk as far as I can see. Not that it is important.

Oh, and if they win exhibition games they are title contenders. It's silly.

If we are talking comparison he's reminds me of... well, myself. Long, athletic, lights out from 3 and just an overall beast. Proof? Proof you say? I have proof. Just let me hook this PS5 up right quick.

The nature of a comparison is that it isn't exact. I said he reminds me of a Michael Kidd-Gilchrist with a jump shot. I think it's a very good comparison.

Similarities: Both guys are tremendous athletes. Both guys are scrappers. Both guys are playmakers. Both guys will do whatever you need doing in order to win games. Both guys are stat-sheet stuffers- points, rebounds, blocks, steals, assists, etc. Both are 6-7 and play small forward or power forward in a pinch. Both guys step up at key moments- they don't shy away from the moment.

Differences: biggest difference is Edwards has a much better jump shot and he can shoot it with range. MKG couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Edwards appears to be a better ball handler than MKG was. MKG seems like he was stronger while at UK.

As for the Monk comparison, I don't see it. Monk was more a pure shooter, scorer and didn't have the all-around game I see with Edwards (or with MKG). He's 3/4 inches shorter and was pretty much a shooting guard and couldn't really do much else.

But hey, it's not stupid to make comparisons. Why don't you tell us why the comparisons don't make sense to you instead of just brushing it aside with "stupid."
You do a great job of not banishing these clowns that just want to create strife.

This board is insufferable most of the time. You are one of the more informed posters/mods

Reactions: IL Wildcat

🤡

Nothing like monk
I agree here Monk has a skilled scorer , a bit reckless but could get his own but as lazy a player on rebounds and fell asleep on defense all the time

Edwards plays a ton harder, seems like a bull on rebounds…but isn’t all that skilled as a shooter

All I know is Edwards, Wagner and Reed are legit good. I don't buy hype of Freshman till I see them play in College game. I know this was a meaningless exhibition this week against suspect competition. But my eyes tell me they are legit. Dillingham has a ways to go. He looks like a typical Freshman. But the other 3 are legit good.
And if the cats play the same style during the regular season as they did this week. It's going to be a fun year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT