ADVERTISEMENT

Edwards Comparisons

Jireh

Sophomore
Jan 3, 2003
Louisville
www.facebook.com
I've seen some people trying to find an appropriate Edwards comparison.

Monk: I don't think this is close at all. Different body types, different positions and completely different games. Edwards has a much higher ceiling than Monk did/does.

MKG w/a jumper: I don't know that I buy this one either. Although Edwards can play strong, he has a lot of finesse in his game. MKG was a bull with a non-stop motor. I don't see any similarities other than the uniform.

Miller: Again, how are Miller and Edwards similar? In my view, they are completely different players.

Mashburn: This is probably the closest comparison I've seen or heard, but I still don't see it. Wow was Mash smooth! Elite smooth! One of the all-time greats to play at UK.

So, I conclude the reason we can't find an appropriate comparison is we've not really had a player like Edwards. I'm just an average Joe, so what do I know. Just my two cents!

Monk: I don't think this is close at all. Different body types, different positions and completely different games. Edwards has a much higher ceiling than Monk did/does.

MKG w/a jumper: I don't know that I buy this one either. Although Edwards can play strong, he has a lot of finesse in his game. MKG was a bull with a non-stop motor. I don't see any similarities other than the uniform.

Miller: Again, how are Miller and Edwards similar? In my view, they are completely different players.

Mashburn: This is probably the closest comparison I've seen or heard, but I still don't see it. Wow was Mash smooth! Elite smooth! One of the all-time greats to play at UK.

So, I conclude the reason we can't find an appropriate comparison is we've not really had a player like Edwards. I'm just an average Joe, so what do I know. Just my two cents!
P.R.I.N.C.E

Very different players but in terms of talent I see 6-7 Edwards as somebody who could eventually turn out to be even better than 6-7 Ron Mercer.

honestly of the ones you listed he is closer to D. Miller then other names you listed

Reactions: EliteBlue
A name mentioned a couple of times on the game broadcasts was Cuttino Mobley. Decent comp.

Reactions: stuway

Fred Cowans, with better handles and more range?

Very different players but in terms of talent I see 6-7 Edwards as somebody who could eventually turn out to be even better than 6-7 Ron Mercer.
I thought Mercer first...but Edwards seems more willing to mix it up and do the hustle type plays than I remember seeing out of Mercer.

I know I said Cheaney earlier, but does anyone else think there is also some Lamar Odom in his game?

Or am I crazy?

Ok, don’t answer that 2nd question. 🤣

Nice post. I'm the one who made the MKG with a jumper comparison, so I'm kinda partial to that. Ultimately, he's his own man. Another poster is correct that we will likely be comparing others to Edwards in the future. It's just one of those fun things we fans do.

Statistically and in terms of impact on a game, he’s Tayshaun Prince.

Some of Edwards’ best games are going to be when he puts up 10pts, 7rbs, 3asts, 2blks, and 2stls.

He doesn’t need to score 20 to be the best player on the floor. When you have 2 true bucket getters in Reeves and Wagner, it makes Edwards the perfect player for this roster.

Gimel Martinez.

mijmfVX.gif

/thread

Nice post. I'm the one who made the MKG with a jumper comparison, so I'm kinda partial to that. Ultimately, he's his own man. Another poster is correct that we will likely be comparing others to Edwards in the future. It's just one of those fun things we fans do.
If he ends up being MKG with a jumper, I think we'll all be very happy! I think he's a little bit of all of these comparisons. But I think he's a relatively unique type of player in recent memory.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
If he ends up being MKG with a jumper, I think we'll all be very happy! I think he's a little bit of all of these comparisons. But I think he's a relatively unique type of player in recent memory.
No doubt, I completely agree. He's a very unique player. He can do many things well. He can pretty much do it all out there, and we saw him showcase his skills in Canada. Everyone is obviously very excited to see what he can become this year, and that's why many are searching for a comparison.

Reactions: Jireh

I think a rather good comparison for Edwards would be Lamar Odom, even though he never came to Kentucky. I can't put my finger on an appropriate comparison that's wore a Kentucky jersey, but man, does he play like Odom did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT