ADVERTISEMENT

Dunkirk".........

Not seen Dunkirk yet. But i did see Dumbkirk
Picture+2.png

Reactions: -Mav- and ymmot31
I enjoyed it, really well done but I don't think it's the best war movie ever made. I thought the interweaving of the three stories was awkward at times. I thought the storyline of the soldiers escaping on the trawler was the weak link of the movie. Dogfights and civilian sailors good. If it were me I would have focused more on the civilians coming to rescue the army which was the whole point of the tagline for the movie "They couldn't get home so home came to them" or whatever.

I'm also a huge Batman fan, so I will leave that bias out. For his non-Batman films I would go Inception, Memento, The Prestige, Interstellar, Insomnia, Following. I'll need to see Dunkirk again before I can fairly rank it.
The prestige is my all time favorite movie. It left me speechless. Just so bad ass . Inception is not far behind

Terrific movie. Folks who don't have an ability to think abstractly won't like the 3 parrallel story lines but it's very good.

It felt a bit rushed to me. 1:35 of actual movie time. But one of the best war movies I've seen in a while.

So I LOVE Nolan, but this movie totally missed the mark for me.

The score and cinematography were top notch, but there was no character development whatsoever. The constant shifts between the 3 story lines were difficult to track.

This movie sparked no emotion in me whatsoever. I didn't get to know any of the characters at all.

Overall I was disappointed. Easily at the bottom of my list of Nolan movies, and not even in the same conversation with Great War movies like SPR, Apocalypse Now, etc.

So I LOVE Nolan, but this movie totally missed the mark for me.

The score and cinematography were top notch, but there was no character development whatsoever. The constant shifts between the 3 story lines were difficult to track.

This movie sparked no emotion in me whatsoever. I didn't get to know any of the characters at all.

Overall I was disappointed. Easily at the bottom of my list of Nolan movies, and not even in the same conversation with Great War movies like SPR, Apocalypse Now, etc.

Most Hollywood movies are garbage because people have super powers. Flip a car 6 times and get out without a scratch. This movie is nothing like those.

There is a reason. At Dunkirk, you were a small fish in a big pond trying to survive. The event makes the need for character development null and void. My opinion.

I can respect that opinion. If that was the case though, why the focus on a few characters?

I was sadder when Chubs died in Happy Gilmore than I was at any point during this movie.

It was oddly hilarious. The boat scene where the kid died and his dad was like "meh". I chuckled.

Reactions: JohnKBA
Lol. No, not like those. Good observation.

I don't think Dunsuck was even a movie, tbh. I would call it 3 made for TV short "films".

Tom Cruise would have shot down every luftwaffe plane and swam back to England. Will Smith would have said I make this look good. All garbage.

Edit
Cruise would have swam down to the u-boat, opened the hatch under water, killed every Nazi on board, and sunk any other u-boats, all while wooing a hot British spy pretending to be a Jerry.

Last edited:
I really loved the movie. Don't know if you would call it a war movie though. It's an intense thriller that takes place during war. That's why I didn't care about the lack of focus on the small boats. Still packs a punch when you see them. But a super underdog story with a big huzzah at the end wasnt what this was going for.

I want to see it. I read a review where it said not enough emphasis was given to the civilians who helped rescue the soldiers. We'll see.

I also liked Hacksaw Ridge. Fury is also good IMO.

Band of Brothers is the best IMO.

I watched it, I was entertained. Mission accomplished. As far as character development, how much more did you need? Were you not aware of the premise before you went to see the movie?

No way would I say it's the best war movie made and it's probably not even top ten. But it was well acted, score was good and not intrusive, cinematography was great and will probably win an Oscar.

None of that matters though, I was able to have a beer at the theater that I didn't have to sneak in. That makes it the best movie I've seen this year.

I watched it, I was entertained. Mission accomplished. As far as character development, how much more did you need? Were you not aware of the premise before you went to see the movie?

No way would I say it's the best war movie made and it's probably not even top ten. But it was well acted, score was good and not intrusive, cinematography was great and will probably win an Oscar.

None of that matters though, I was able to have a beer at the theater that I didn't have to sneak in. That makes it the best movie I've seen this year.

Score - A
Cinematography - A
Plot - B-

It wasn't a bad movie. It wasn't great either.

As good of a reason to share this scene, in case anyone hasn't seen it. One of the greatest scenes of war, ever, and from a technical standpoint, maybe number one. A masterpiece that I'll never get tired watching.

Hoping to see Dunkirk this week.

As good of a reason to share this scene, in case anyone hasn't seen it. One of the greatest scenes of war, ever, and from a technical standpoint, maybe number one. A masterpiece that I'll never get tired watching.

Hoping to see Dunkirk this week.

That scene was pretty amazing. I misread your title and thought it was a scene from "Dunkirk", which I had just seen. Since I didnt rememember this scene, I thought it must have been cut from the movie, and I thought, "why in the hell would they do that?!"

Hahaha yeah, my mistake not clarifying better. It was from an otherwise so-so movie called Atonement. But God damn, that scene is just spectacular. Love one-track movie scenes. How they were able to coordinate that .. wild.

Just saw this a few hours ago. One of the lamest movies I've seen in a theater. I wouldn't wactch it again if it came on regular tv without commercials.

Really don't know what the rest of see in it. Zero plot, no action to speak of, and no great acting. Not going to give spoilers other than to suggest people not waste your time going. Saying it was the, or one of the greatest is a joke. Any episode of Hogans hero's blows this away.

Reactions: Mashburned
Not a fan. I felt like the movie dragged on forever and it's a very short movie. The action scenes were not great. Some very Hollywood type scenes that were incorporated and definitely not the movie nor event to bring it in.

I was expecting an emotional hook. Never felt it. It hit a little when George died but he did get his name in the paper.
Agree with you. My Bud Light the highlight also.

Reactions: ymmot31
I'm taking my nephew to see it tonight. We shall see. Other thoughts:

Platoon is my #1 war movie of all time. Other favorites include Bridge on the River Kwai, Sergeant York, and Apocalypse Now. I like SPR a lot, just don't love it. I thought Hacksaw Ridge was beyond awful.

I'm taking my nephew to see it tonight. We shall see. Other thoughts:

Platoon is my #1 war movie of all time. Other favorites include Bridge on the River Kwai, Sergeant York, and Apocalypse Now. I like SPR a lot, just don't love it. I thought Hacksaw Ridge was beyond awful.

Did you see Fury? What did you think?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT