ADVERTISEMENT

Dunkirk".........

gollumcat

Senior
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
Saw it tonight. I put it up there with the best war movies ever, easily. Need to think about it a bit more before I'm ready to say it's the GOAT though. Highly highly recommend. Hitler made some big mistakes but allowing the evacuation of the British Army in 1940 when the KO was there for the easy taking is at or near the top(hard to top turning on and invading Russia).

Reactions: railroadkat_1
Definitely different from Nolan's other films, but I enjoyed it. It was practically a silent film with Zimmer's score. I have to think it gets a Best Picture nomination.

Definitely different from Nolan's other films, but I enjoyed it. It was practically a silent film with Zimmer's score. I have to think it gets a Best Picture nomination.
Agree with all of these points. It was quite different with the minimal dialogue and all.

Agree with all of these points. It was quite different with the minimal dialogue and all.

I read that the screenplay was under 100 pages.

I really liked Murphy's performance. Hardy was good as always too. Anyone worried about Harry Styles being in it can rest easy.

I read that the screenplay was under 100 pages.

I really liked Murphy's performance. Hardy was good as always too. Anyone worried about Harry Styles being in it can rest easy.

If Nolan is in charge, I have no concerns. I think the guy has made only one bad casting decision and that was Katie Holmes in Batman Begins.

Last edited:
If Nolan is in charge, I have no concerns. I think the guy has only made one bad casting decision and that was Katie Holmes in Batman Begins.

The studio pushed Holmes on him. Once Holmes fell out of favor with WB and he proved himself with Begins, they were more willing to give him control, hence the recast.

The studio pushed Holmes on him. Once Holmes fell out of favor with WB and he proved himself with Begins, they were more willing to give him control, hence the recast.

Not surprised to hear that. The rest of his actors and films are fantastic.

How would you rank your favorite Nolan films? I know you're a big fan of his.

Not surprised to hear that. The rest of his actors and films are fantastic.

How would you rank your favorite Nolan films? I know you're a big fan of his.

I'm also a huge Batman fan, so I will leave that bias out. For his non-Batman films I would go Inception, Memento, The Prestige, Interstellar, Insomnia, Following. I'll need to see Dunkirk again before I can fairly rank it.

And Tom Hardy. And Michael Caine.

giphy.gif

Really want to see this film.

Son and I went last weekend to see the new Planet of the Apes movie. He liked it; I could have walked out mid way through the film.

I love the new apes trilogy. Especially the last two.
We did as well, but the latest one, War For the Planet of the Apes, simply wasn't what I felt it was billed as, but maybe that's just me.
It is supposed to be a "war", and all the trailers depict it as an action packed movie, and it was far from that. They also got away from what made the Apes movies so good by attempting to get cheap laughs throughout the movie.

They had a "Gollum faced" ape who they used to try to get laughs, and it just didn't work, IMO. Everyone else may love it, and that's cool, but I didn't.

Everyone else may love it, and that's cool, but I didn't.

Fair enough. I really liked the Bridge on the River Kwai vibe and the way they alluded to the original franchise in various ways. It's certainly not set in the same world as the original films, but it's respectful of them.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
The only movies of Nolan's I haven't liked are Insomni and The Following. Everything else is good.

My personal list
Inception
TDK
The Prestige
Memento
TDKR
Interstellar (the score makes this movie)
Batman Begins
Insomnia
The Following

Total joke. Don't go see it. Should have walked out after the Al Gore movie preview - wtf.

Movie should have been 30 minutes, and it still would have sucked. Trailer is all you need to see. It's like they shot 1/10th of a movie and ran out of money so they just put this out there. Here. Nolan name. Hardy name. Pay us, idiots.

Reactions: JohnKBA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT