ADVERTISEMENT

Duke “Lock” Josiah James Cancels Duke Visit, Announcing This Week As CBs All Trend Clemson

All true, but eventually one of these classes is going to hear that K is retiring. His AD said just a few years ago that he has at least five years left. He was probably being more definitive than he let on in terms of the remaining window.

I agree, but we'll know then too. No way that information stays quiet. I've actually wondered before if he had used the "be part of my last title" pitch to some OAD kids over the last couple of seasons.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I agree, but we'll know then too. No way that information stays quiet. I've actually wondered before if he had used the "be part of my last title" pitch to some OAD kids over the last couple of seasons.

I think K uses that line and has used it with a few groups. After all, he's the legacy man.

Team USA saved him, because he wasn't getting recruits before Colangelo gave him the lead seat at the cool kids' table.

I envision that this year will be quite taxing on the old man. This will be his youngest team ever.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Man, the SEC is killing it! Pretty impressive how many top guys the SEC has picked up these past few years. I like the extra competition for our Cats. Also seriously helps our SOS going into the postseason.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Man, the SEC is killing it! Pretty impressive how many top guys the SEC has picked up these past few years. I like the extra competition for our Cats. Also seriously helps our SOS going into the postseason.
You beat me to it. I was going to say the same thing. The SEC has made huge strides. Just a few years ago it was fighting the PAC12 for worst P5 bball conference, but now it's fighting the ACC for best P5 bball conference.
That's pretty impressive.
But I will say I like it better wjen schools like Missouri and LSU get these top guys, I don't like seeing UT land them.
Better than duke getting them though.

Reactions: MrsTylerUlis
You beat me to it. I was going to say the same thing. The SEC has made huge strides. Just a few years ago it was fighting the PAC12 for worst P5 bball conference, but now it's fighting the ACC for best P5 bball conference.
That's pretty impressive.
But I will say I like it better wjen schools like Missouri and LSU get these top guys, I don't like seeing UT land them.
Better than duke getting them though.
Yea it’ll be pretty awesome to boast being the best conference in all the major sports. The Sec is already the best in football, women’s basketball, softball, and now men’s basketball too!

Yea it’ll be pretty awesome to boast being the best conference in all the major sports. The Sec is already the best in football, women’s basketball, softball, and now men’s basketball too!

Best in Baseball? Seems like a lot of schools in the SEC are contenders.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
giphy.gif

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...-impact-of-josiah-james-commitment-to-clemson

From the Article: Duke Sting Factor 9/10.

Another article had Antoine going elsewhere, not picking Duke, and the thumbnail is the Duke Blue Devil Mascot lying on the court in defeat.

It seems everyone is starting to wonder why the school that couldn't miss for 3-4 years in recruiting.. just missed 3 or 4 in a row, after putting in an awful lot of effort, with not a single top recruit left that's anywhere near a "lock"..

giphy.gif

They're too incestuous for that. I think they pick from the assortment of Capel, Collins, Wojo, or Amaker. K will ensure they keep it in the family.

It'd be humorous if Duke hired Capel or Amaker. Especially NIT Tommy (referring to his Michigan/Seton Hall days, not Harvard days). And we saw what Capel did without Blake Griffin at Oklahoma. Wojo would likely be quite humorous as well. Collins I'll be a little less hard on because of where he is. Northwestern made their first NCAA Tourney appearance with him, I'll give him that much. I also may add Bobby Hurley to the list if he shows enough at ASU.

Man, Duke losing guys to Tennessee?

There may be something to not having Capel around to it. I admittedly seem to have underestimated the impact his leaving would have on their recruiting. But Tennessee did have a very good 2017-2018 and if there is one thing Rick Barnes could always do at Texas, it's recruit even if his teams there were inexcusably sloppy and unprepared, especially in his last few years there.

It'd be humorous if Duke hired Capel or Amaker. Especially NIT Tommy (referring to his Michigan/Seton Hall days, not Harvard days). And we saw what Capel did without Blake Griffin at Oklahoma. Wojo would likely be quite humorous as well. Collins I'll be a little less hard on because of where he is. Northwestern made their first NCAA Tourney appearance with him, I'll give him that much. I also may add Bobby Hurley to the list if he shows enough at ASU.

There may be something to not having Capel around to it. I admittedly seem to have underestimated the impact his leaving would have on their recruiting. But Tennessee did have a very good 2017-2018 and if there is one thing Rick Barnes could always do at Texas, it's recruit even if his teams there were inexcusably sloppy and unprepared, especially in his last few years there.

I think Bob Hurley is the best of all the coaches right now.

I think Duke knows they’re not getting Anthony unless Jones is OAD - which is unlikely. They just offered Boogie Ellis when they realized they were missing on James.

Both Carey and just recently Stewart have seemed to cool on them, so there is obviously something going on - you’ve got to wonder why a supposed lock like Stewart wouldn’t have already jumped on that Duke offer. It’s not like there is any doubt abt PT. Surprised they haven’t done what Cal is doing by casting a wider net on bigs. I imagine they’ll be raiding the junior class if they miss on their main targets.

Maybe these recruits have finally figured out that coach Methuselah is close to retiring
Recruits are finally realizing that old man Krzyzewski is closer to 80 than he is 60. His days at Duke are numbered, and everyone knows it.
Mannion = no
Antoine = no
James = more than likely no

Interesting. Duke will get theirs, but we've come a long way from the "they'll get whoever they want" we heard the last few years.
Don't forget EJ Montgomery as well. Everyone said he was duke bound.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...-impact-of-josiah-james-commitment-to-clemson

From the Article: Duke Sting Factor 9/10.

Another article had Antoine going elsewhere, not picking Duke, and the thumbnail is the Duke Blue Devil Mascot lying on the court in defeat.

It seems everyone is starting to wonder why the school that couldn't miss for 3-4 years in recruiting.. just missed 3 or 4 in a row, after putting in an awful lot of effort, with not a single top recruit left that's anywhere near a "lock"..

giphy.gif
Lots of worrying going on in this thread too.

https://duke.forums.rivals.com/threads/tennessee-just-landed-josiah-james.10856991/

Most of them are putting their heads in the sand "I'm just going to sit back and enjoy this year, I'll worry about the 19 class next year".
No, I'm thinking you better be worried about it now. Something is definitely going on in the duke camp and it's delightful.

Lots of worrying going on in this thread too.

https://duke.forums.rivals.com/threads/tennessee-just-landed-josiah-james.10856991/

Most of them are putting their heads in the sand "I'm just going to sit back and enjoy this year, I'll worry about the 19 class next year".
No, I'm thinking you better be worried about it now. Something is definitely going on in the duke camp and it's delightful.

I can count in my hands how many times I even look at a rival board.. But that is.. GOLD!! I hope everyone takes 5 to read those posts. Sky is falling type of shit.

And many of them get it. It's a one coach school and that coach has been getting tossed freebies from protection to officiating to seeding. They know it's coming to an end.

Reactions: kyjeff1
I can count in my hands how many times I even look at a rival board.. But that is.. GOLD!! I hope everyone takes 5 to read those posts. Sky is falling type of shit.

And many of them get it. It's a one coach school and that coach has been getting tossed freebies from protection to officiating to seeding. They know it's coming to an end.
It's an entertaining thread, that's for sure.

Reactions: BassProCat
I think Jones is a two year kid, plus the lower tier guys they've brought in will likely develop into depth and role players by then.

They'll land Stewart, and I think they have as good a chance as anyone at Anthony. Then RJ Hampton reclassifies and they're good again.

It's just way too early to start proclaiming Duke recruiting dead.
I hope that Tre is a OAD because that means we win the NC.Imo just like his brother that is the only way he is s OAD.Btw I don’t think we we win the NC

I hope that Tre is a OAD because that means we win the NC.Imo just like his brother that is the only way he is s OAD.Btw I don’t think we we win the NC
Duke fans won't say they're publicly picking the Devils because they don't want the pressure. Secretly though, we all know that anything less than a title, with the three top picks, is a failure.

K needs to deliver this year. The shifting media narrative is hilarious. You'd have thought that K won the 2019 title when Zion committed. Now, all of a sudden, Duke fans and media aren't picking the Devils?

Riiiiiiight.

Duke fans won't say they're publicly picking the Devils because they don't want the pressure. Secretly though, we all know that anything less than a title, with the three top picks, is a failure.

K needs to deliver this year. The shifting media narrative is hilarious. You'd have thought that K won the 2019 title when Zion committed. Now, all of a sudden, Duke fans and media aren't picking the Devils?

Riiiiiiight.

If they can't win with the previous two squads, it's not happening this year.

I think Bob Hurley is the best of all the coaches right now.
I agree with you, Hurley is the best Duke-player-now-coach. Obviously he has the finest basketball pedigree on the planet, but unfortunately, I think Bobby is just a little too blue collar for Duke. He's got that rough Joisey appeal. It's going to be a nightmare hire. My heart already goes out to the first guy who comes in.

I agree with you, Hurley is the best Duke-player-now-coach. Obviously he has the finest basketball pedigree on the planet, but unfortunately, I think Bobby is just a little too blue collar for Duke. He's got that rough Joisey appeal. It's going to be a nightmare hire. My heart already goes out to the first guy who comes in.

Was about to make a comment about Hurley being tough... didn't realize he was from Jersey City .

I think Mike Brey would be near the top of the list if they go after someone with Duke ties after Krzyzewski retires. He's almost 60 but he's had more success than any other former Duke assistant.

I think Mike Brey would be near the top of the list if they go after someone with Duke ties after Krzyzewski retires. He's almost 60 but he's had more success than any other former Duke assistant.
You're right, I forgot about Brey because he's been in place for so long. Not sure he would leave ND. That's a sweet job with ZERO stress, it seems to be such a good fit for everyone. The Duke job is a bad scene. Not only do they want to win, they feel ENTITLED to win.

Does it mean you'd have won it all? Maybe Jones jumping early would just mean he's delusional and that the OAD culture at Duke is in full bloom and there's not a damn thing K or his precious legacy can do to curtail the momentum of the beast.

Frank Jackson burned you guys for the second round. Duvall burned you for no contract guarantees at all. Did either of them win the national title?

Get used to guys who have no business leaving early deciding to make the jump anyway. You guys wanted elite recruits in the OAD era. This is what happens. Don't act like Duke can outflank reality.

Does it mean you'd have won it all? Maybe Jones jumping early would just mean he's delusional and that the OAD culture at Duke is in full bloom and there's not a damn thing K or his precious legacy can do to curtail the momentum of the beast.

Frank Jackson burned you guys for the second round. Duvall burned you for no contract guarantees at all. Did either of them win the national title?

Get used to guys who have no business leaving early deciding to make the jump anyway. You guys wanted elite recruits in the OAD era. This is what happens. Don't act like Duke can outflank reality.
Jackson and Duval were projected as Oad’s from day one.Tre is not and for him to be an Oad imo he would have to have postseason like his brother

Jackson and Duval were projected as Oad’s from day one.Tre is not and for him to be an Oad imo he would have to have postseason like his brother
This is just not true. The NBA drafts on potential, so all Tre has to do is show potential.

Duke has three studs that are going to make Tre look better than what he actually is, so you have to take that into account too.

Just look at last year's UK team (every UK team in the Cal era actually), Vanderbilt went pro after only playing in a handful of games, couldn't shoot if his life depended on it, has chronic foot problems andbappears to be surrounded by the wrong people.

Shai Alexander was a 4* and ended up in the lottery.
UK was a sweet 16 team that sputtered most of the year. Duke 2018/19 should be an E8/F4 team and Tre is going to be the head of the snake.

Last point, this one is a question. How well did Markal Fultz and Ben Simmons do in their NCAAT runs?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT