ADVERTISEMENT

Draft Express on PJ Washington's performance at Combine

Apr 28, 2015
"Although he posted a 26.7 PER and monster per 40 numbers, Washington looked far from a surefire first-round pick in Chicago. He had some impressive moments as an offensive rebounder, but his feel for the game and bouts of inconsistent effort still crept in. Washington doesn't quite have an elite skill at this stage and would benefit from adding a standstill 3-pointer to his repertoire before maximizing his draft stock"

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/sto...ft-stock-watch-combine-risers-fallers-hearing

Come back for your sophomore year and polish your game up and add that 3 pt shot to your aresnal. Just ask P Pat what that did to his game. I know Patterson was there for 4 years but he didn’t add his 3 pt shot til Cal came around. Cal will tell him to shoot it more if that NBA teams wanna see.

Yes PJ shot the 3 early in the year but I felt like he lost confidence when he had several poor shooting games in a row and Cal moved him to the post more later in the season to get his productivity up and stay more active.

If PJ can shoot it like PP did his sr. year, PJ could play himself into the late lottery.

Reactions: bballcat4
Come back for your sophomore year and polish your game up and add that 3 pt shot to your aresnal. Just ask P Pat what that did to his game. I know Patterson was there for 4 years but he didn’t add his 3 pt shot til Cal came around. Cal will tell him to shoot it more if that NBA teams wanna see.

Yes PJ shot the 3 early in the year but I felt like he lost confidence when he had several poor shooting games in a row and Cal moved him to the post more later in the season to get his productivity up and stay more active.

If PJ can shoot it like PP did his sr. year, PJ could play himself into the late lottery.

You know P Pat only played three years, right? http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/statistics/Players/Patterson_Patrick.html
I agree he should come back, polish his mid-range and take the occasional 3 pointer to show he can make them.

Patterson didn't stay four years, he was here for 3.

Reactions: jameslee32
I can’t see PJ coming back and launching threes to the point it helps him next year. The old adages don’t apply anymore, improve strength etc...etc....etc... it’s about mid range to perimeter shooting and that’s not and possible never going to be his strengths. It’s a dilemma for him to have a niche ability like say a Rodman type rebounder that’s valuable enough to make a roster.

On one hand it’s take your shot now because coming back isn’t going to transform your game to fit today’s nba. On the other you consider staying in school to graduate and look at foreign opportunities with a degree in hand. This is not a clear cut answer, tough call for him.

Reid has given zero indication he wants to transfer to UK

He’s also given zero indication about anything regarding anything. Zero of zero is zero and at the same time can be argued as an infinity. So since he hasn’t said he’s going to UK that can be viewed that he absolutely IS going to UK.

Reid has given zero indication he wants to transfer to UK
Openly yes , but there is a reason our insiders have mentioned him time and time again. It isn't a given but I put more money on Reid being here then PJ being back if I was a betting man. Still the most likely scenario is Gabriel and Vanderbilt return and PJ leaves but reid could easily take his place .

Hopefully, Vanderbilt returns and JV, Richards, and Montgomery can combine to give us some semblance of an inside game and allow Washington to play a stretch 4.

PPat is the model for Washington. He needs to study his game from his Junior year.

Great comparison.

I think Cal should sell Washington on taking on the stretch 4 role that PPat and Jones did.

Hopefully, he can give Washington 25-30 mpg a game playing most of that time facing up, working on his long and mid-range game.

Let Richards, Montgomery, and Vanderbilt (if he returns and is healthy) fight it out for minutes playing beside Washington as the primary post player. They can work on their post up games.

Richards is a true Center who needs to improve his offense in the post. The knock on Montgomery is that he doesn't have a strong post up game. JV needs to work on scoring in general, might as well start with his post up game.

I think this is how he can improve all of their NBA stock.

I could see a break down like this:

PF Washington(25)/Vanderbilt(15)
C Montgomery(20)/Richards(15)/Vanderbilt(5)

I think Vanderbilt would get some time at the 3 too. Especially with Johnson as the only 3 on the roster. He was billed as a point forward coming out of high school. He doesn't have a jumper but he has play making ability from the perimeter. He's just gotta stay healthy long enough to knock the rust off

Reactions: Cindog28
I think Vanderbilt would get some time at the 3 too. Especially with Johnson as the only 3 on the roster. He was billed as a point forward coming out of high school. He doesn't have a jumper but he has play making ability from the perimeter. He's just gotta stay healthy long enough to knock the rust off

Possibly.

Or we might see Washington slide over to the 3 at times. That would further improve his stock.

I see Herro as the primary reserve at the 3, right now. He has the size and with Green, Quickley, and Hagans rotating at the 1 and 2, there won't be many minutes to be had at the 2 spot for him.

With Washington and Vanderbilt back, I see the rotation looking something like this by March (+ or - 1 to 2 minutes per game):

PG Hagans(30)/Quickley(10)
SG Green(25)/Quickley(15)
SF Johnson(25)/Herro(15)
PF Washington(25)/Vanderbilt(15)
C Montgomery(20)/Richards(15)/Vanderbilt(5)

(Might switch Vanderbilt and Montgomery around to keep Vanderbilt and Washington on the court together a lot.)

That's a good 9-man rotation.

I think Baker will have a lot of rust and will have a tough time working into the rotation with all the great guards we have.

Even if JV leaves or is not able to remain healthy, we have a good 8-man rotation. Might have to go small with Johnson at the 4 for 4-5 mpg.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT