ADVERTISEMENT

Draft Express on PJ Washington's performance at Combine

I agree. He don’t want to be here, go and be happy.

If he comes back.....if he comes back........if he comes back, I hope he is welcome.;) No matter what, I do not see him playing at any time anywhere and.......playing to lose.

I want pj back... but not so he can work on his game as others have said.

I want him back if he's willing to do what's best for the team.

Reactions: kev69
I want pj back... but not so he can work on his game as others have said.

I want him back if he's willing to do what's best for the team.

They can be one and the same.

Just because Washington is working on his perimeter skills doesn't mean Cal can't put him down low to get baskets when we need an easy one.

I want him back. There will be a game in March where we will need someone to play like he did against KSU (minus the missed FT attempts).

That's the real fear. A kid returning solely to show the NBA he has fixed his outside shot... and being a detriment to the team because he is focused only on showing off his skills.
Do you honestly think Cal would just stand him on the perimeter and jack threes?
He may shoot a ton in practice and Cal may push him to be more confident in that shot, but cmon... your guys are getting way ahead of yourselves here

Reactions: brianpoe
Briscoe and Diallo approve this message.
Briscoe gave what he had for a kid that didn't want to be here.He was a 6"2" power forward.Honestly I'm not sure what Diallo was,the only thing we know for sure is that he is gone.

I would prefer to have players who show up to play rather than players who show up trying to prove something or remake their game into something that is more appealing to the NBA. Thinking with that mindset I would rather see Vanderbilt and Gabriel return more than Washington.Vanderbilt has to prove he can play without getting hurt,Gabriel plays with effort but has to get better at everything.Washington needs to work on his outside shot(which we don't need)

On the flip side,Vanderbilt is probably a long shot to be able to play a whole season,if he gets hurt just a little he may opt to shut it down till the combine.

If Travis is an option I would rather have him and one of the three as to have 3 of 3 or 2 of 3 and no Travis. This likely won't be a popular opinion but it is how I feel about the situation.

Briscoe gave what he had for a kid that didn't want to be here.He was a 6"2" power forward.Honestly I'm not sure what Diallo was,the only thing we know for sure is that he is gone.

I would prefer to have players who show up to play rather than players who show up trying to prove something or remake their game into something that is more appealing to the NBA. Thinking with that mindset I would rather see Vanderbilt and Gabriel return more than Washington.Vanderbilt has to prove he can play without getting hurt,Gabriel plays with effort but has to get better at everything.Washington needs to work on his outside shot(which we don't need)

On the flip side,Vanderbilt is probably a long shot to be able to play a whole season,if he gets hurt just a little he may opt to shut it down till the combine.

If Travis is an option I would rather have him and one of the three as to have 3 of 3 or 2 of 3 and no Travis. This likely won't be a popular opinion but it is how I feel about the situation.

"Come on Doc..." I feel with my fingers...

Probably because he doesn't personally know the guy. Why would he? Being a fan of UK is one thing.
“I don’t care for it” doesn’t literally mean he has no personal feelings toward him. It means he doesn’t like him. At least that’s the way I’ve always seen the phrase “don’t care for it” used. Just curious if he has any legitimate reasons for not liking PJ.

I think he's one of the best players in college if he comes back. I'm praying he does.

“I don’t care for it” doesn’t literally mean he has no personal feelings toward him. It means he doesn’t like him. At least that’s the way I’ve always seen the phrase “don’t care for it” used. Just curious if he has any legitimate reasons for not liking PJ.

Yeah, I don't get the attitude some fans have. You're telling me a 19-year old, 5-Star McDonald's All American would prefer to be in the NBA as soon as possible? Shocker.
I figure he probably goes, but the people saying they wouldn't like to have him back are silly. I think he's got the potential to be a beast with another year in college. We already saw flashes of that last season.

Last edited:
What I don't understand about PJ and JV is that most NBA Mock Draft boards don't have either going in the 1st or 2nd round of the NBA Mock Draft Boards. One NBA Mock draft board does have PJ and JV going #54 and #55 at the bottom of the 2nd round of the NBA Draft. If PJ and his dad are saying they want this written guaranteed for the 1st round and if not PJ would return to UK then I would say he is heading back to Kentucky. I know we are hearing from Media Experts and NBA Scouts that some are saying that PJ is gone and won't return to UK. I don't believe this if PJ and his dad are saying they need a Guaranteed for the 1st round for PJ to stay in the draft or back to UK in most of the NBA Mock Draft boards they don't have PJ in the 1st round and a couple has PJ near the bottom of the 2nd round at #55.

If PJ is saying to people in the NBA about leaving even if in the 2nd round then I hope Coach Cal is out there looking for bigs to help Richards and EJ next year. I don't look WG or JV to return and if PJ stays in the draft we will be hurting in our Front court with only Richards and EJ. We don't know if Richards will be improved from last year and EJ is a freshman. I hope Cal does have like a Reid Travis a grad transfer wanting to transfer to UK next season. Cal will need to bring in a couple of bigs if we lose 2 or all 3 to the NBA Draft next season. I hope what we are hearing from Team PJ that if he is not guaranteed a 1st round pick he would return to UK and then if JV returns also we would be fine with PJ and JV returning next season. We are just hearing so many stories from both sides concerning PJ is that we don't know who to believe if he Is returning or staying in the draft this year. I guess in the next week or so we will know for sure if PJ, JV, and WG are returning to UK or staying in the draft. If 2 or all 3 are staying in the NBA Draft I hope Coach Cal has 2 bigs ready to come to Kentucky next season or our Front Court could be a huge problem. If losing 2 or 3 of these guys and having SKJ and Wynyard already transferring we will need more that just Richards and EJ in our Front Court next season.

Reactions: Cats192
What I don't understand about PJ and JV is that most NBA Mock Draft boards don't have either going in the 1st or 2nd round of the NBA Mock Draft Boards. One NBA Mock draft board does have PJ and JV going #54 and #55 at the bottom of the 2nd round of the NBA Draft. If PJ and his dad are saying they want this written guaranteed for the 1st round and if not PJ would return to UK then I would say he is heading back to Kentucky. I know we are hearing from Media Experts and NBA Scouts that some are saying that PJ is gone and won't return to UK. I don't believe this if PJ and his dad are saying they need a Guaranteed for the 1st round for PJ to stay in the draft or back to UK in most of the NBA Mock Draft boards they don't have PJ in the 1st round and a couple has PJ near the bottom of the 2nd round at #55.

If PJ is saying to people in the NBA about leaving even if in the 2nd round then I hope Coach Cal is out there looking for bigs to help Richards and EJ next year. I don't look WG or JV to return and if PJ stays in the draft we will be hurting in our Front court with only Richards and EJ. We don't know if Richards will be improved from last year and EJ is a freshman. I hope Cal does have like a Reid Travis a grad transfer wanting to transfer to UK next season. Cal will need to bring in a couple of bigs if we lose 2 or all 3 to the NBA Draft next season. I hope what we are hearing from Team PJ that if he is not guaranteed a 1st round pick he would return to UK and then if JV returns also we would be fine with PJ and JV returning next season. We are just hearing so many stories from both sides concerning PJ is that we don't know who to believe if he Is returning or staying in the draft this year. I guess in the next week or so we will know for sure if PJ, JV, and WG are returning to UK or staying in the draft. If 2 or all 3 are staying in the NBA Draft I hope Coach Cal has 2 bigs ready to come to Kentucky next season or our Front Court could be a huge problem. If losing 2 or 3 of these guys and having SKJ and Wynyard already transferring we will need more that just Richards and EJ in our Front Court next season.
The problem with all this is how are they getting a “written guarantee”? He’s not a top
5 pick (where draft order is usually expected). There’s just no way a team could promise to take him at X pick not knowing if a guy could slide for some unexpected reason.

PJ is a good (potentially great) college player right now. He has a future in the league. But, let’s be honest his measurables were less than desirable for a guy with his skill set, he had stretches last year of less than stellar play, and he has no real ball skills. I just fail to see where he fits on an NBA roster right now. He has to improve or develop a jumper I think and be able to penetrate some to beat bigger guys off the dribble.

That said it’s these situations that make me question the whole one and done approach. It’s not the Wall, Cousins, KAT, Davis guys at all it’s these tweeners we loose seemingly every year.

Mock drafts are not all-knowing. Would be interesting to see, based on each Mock Draft website, over the past 5 years who was (& where picked) the earliest guy drafted that that site did not have listed in their top 60.
I would venture to guess most years there is at least one in the first half of the 2nd round not on the Mocks.

Also it just takes 1 team, 1 GM, to see something in you. This is these kids dream, let them try to reach their goal.
If nothing else (in PJ's case) you go to the combine, see how you stack up vs other draft talent, AND you get pro input on what you need to do to reach your dream/goal.

https://247sports.com/college/kentu...NBA-scouts-is-looking-for-guarantee-118405334

PJ Washington impressed NBA scouts, is looking for guarantee
ByKEVIN FLAHERTY 3 hours ago

“If I get a second-round guarantee, I”m definitely going back to school,” Washington said last week. “Right now if it’s first round, I believe I should take it, if it’s second round I believe I should come back.”

Could Washington get that guarantee? ESPN recently projected Washington as a mid-first round pick, with him going No. 18 in its NBA Mock Draft.

“If they were guaranteeing me second round, I would definitely come back and I feel like we would have a great year next year,” Washington said. “A lot of guys coming in, got a lot of talent coming in next year. Just to be a part of that would be special as well.”

Who is doing those Mock Drafts for ESPN these days? I know it's no longer Chad Ford who edits his picks after the draft. I remember how smug he was in 2009 when an ESPN anchor asked who will be the last pick. He laughed and said Jodie Meeks. Proved him 19 picks wrong.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
There is absolutely no way the main draft guys at ESPN aka Draft Express put him at #18 after the combine because 1) they haven't done a new mock since after lottery was selected and 2) he wasn't in their top 60 picks before combine

Who is doing those Mock Drafts for ESPN these days? I know it's no longer Chad Ford who edits his picks after the draft. I remember how smug he was in 2009 when an ESPN anchor asked who will be the last pick. He laughed and said Jodie Meeks. Proved him 19 picks wrong.
Draft Express

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT