ADVERTISEMENT

Donovan

Maybe we can now get him to fill an assistant role if he’s looking for work after the bulls flame out. Lol

Reactions: wardlow
He had interest but wasn't going to discuss it till end of season which could've been weeks. I'm glad they moved on.
How do you know he had interest? Word was he wouldn't even discuss whether he was interested until his season was over, period. I got the impression he was aware that we might wait if he expressed interest. But wouldn't say either way. I'm glad we moved on. In this case, I trust Rick.

Last edited:
I noticed he was trending on X last night. He was being flambayed by the Chicago loyalists.

Fairly good chance Pitino is whispering in his ear....**Take it if offered....do it**....Give Donovan a year to get acclimated back to college and he'll have Rupp rockin'.

Of course, there's always K....just sittin' on the beach.
Looks like he’s a day late and a dollar short if he really wanted the Kentucky job he would’ve quit!!

As has been with the other two attempts to hire him, we’ll probably never hear the complete truth of what exactly happened.

Reactions: susan2361
How do you know he had interest? Word was he wouldn't even discuss whether he was interested until his season was over, period. I got the impression he was aware that we might wait if he expressed interest. But wouldn't say either way. I'm glad we moved on. In this case, I trust Rick.

Ill explain it one last time: the people who matter weren't nearly as tight lipped about their displeasure in Mitch's mishandling. Thats why there is more info floating around than normal.

There are some important people very unhappy how he went rogue on this hire. Doesn't mean there are people not supportive now, but will be interesting to see if that displeasure with Mitch lasts or not.

I wanted Donovan. Having said that, he could have made it abundantly clear through back channels to Mitch that he wanted the job. He didn't do that. Mitch did the right thing in this case.

Mitch didn't interview enough coaches IMO. He went Drew. No. Then supposed Hurley. No. Then Pope. Yes.

Was an extremely lazy hiring search.

Let's be real. Mitch never seriously considered him, he never reached out through back channels or otherwise. Dude wanted the job but Mitchell had something against him because he had been turned down in the past! All the blowhards are going to look plane silly if pope flames out....

It was a big deal. Time is of the essence. UK would just be that much further behind in recruiting and building a team.

Nobody really knows that.

I didn't really want Donovan anyways.. but it's still interesting to think about. I was even one of the ones who didn't want to wait for him.. but as it turns out, didn't really matter. I also think, now that we lost every single roster player AND recruit, that Donovan.. being an NBA coach.. probably had a better chance to keep a guy or two, than a more unproven coach in Mark Pope. Just saying.

Let's be real. Mitch never seriously considered him, he never reached out through back channels or otherwise. Dude wanted the job but Mitchell had something against him because he had been turned down in the past! All the blowhards are going to look plane silly if pope flames out....
Can't "be real" if the true facts aren't known. My own guess is Mitch approached Donovan in a low key advisory capacity, to feel him out. Donovan cautioned it will be a complicated hire because college basketball is so different now (with free agency for all the players) and there is no way he would ever return to the college game. At that point, Mitch had achieved the purpose of his call, to gauge Donovan's interest; and he asked Billy what he thought of Mark Pope who he knew at Kentucky. Billy said "great choice" and Mitch thanked him for the input.

I also believe Mitch approached Pitino in the same way and received the same advice.

Reactions: NociHTTP
I am not a Mitch fan, but I can’t blame him for this one.

No need to get strung along. The accepting the job thing and then backing out was lame. Also, with the portal, you can’t be waiting on a coach with cold feet.

Ill explain it one last time: the people who matter weren't nearly as tight lipped about their displeasure in Mitch's mishandling. Thats why there is more info floating around than normal.

There are some important people very unhappy how he went rogue on this hire. Doesn't mean there are people not supportive now, but will be interesting to see if that displeasure with Mitch lasts or not.
So no answer to the actual question. Name some of these people, and provide some proof. Or admit it's all butthurt speculation.

Reactions: flacat22
You speak of blowhards while at the same time biligerently claiming that Donovan wanted the job.

Hope you were able to sleep it off.

• Love
Reactions: flacat22 and ftp000
I think Donovan wasn't about to express any interest in the Kentucky job and lock in Chicago firing him

Did he want to come to Kentucky? well he isn't here. That's the answer

I think Donovan wasn't about to express any interest in the Kentucky job and lock in Chicago firing him

Did he want to come to Kentucky? well he isn't here. That's the answer
It's fair to do the math. He was offered the job during the previous two vacancies, and said no. This time, he refuses to say, one way or the other, for the reasons you gave. It makes no sense to wait and see. The numbers say he says no.

As has been with the other two attempts to hire him, we’ll probably never hear the complete truth of what exactly happened.
Yeah, that's 3 times now. Please no FOURTH time. I didn't want him this time . If he was truly interested, he would have let someone know. And I still wouldn't believe him until he was actually on the court. He's made us wait before and I think he gets a thrill by us offering and him making us wait.

I support Coach Pope!!!!💙💙💙

Nobody really knows that.

I didn't really want Donovan anyways.. but it's still interesting to think about. I was even one of the ones who didn't want to wait for him.. but as it turns out, didn't really matter. I also think, now that we lost every single roster player AND recruit, that Donovan.. being an NBA coach.. probably had a better chance to keep a guy or two, than a more unproven coach in Mark Pope. Just saying.
I don't see how you can declare that getting started earlier didn't matter.

Are you just looking at signees with no accounting for seeds planted sprouting?

Everything isn't instant. Even teams with continuity are having to fight tooth and nail to build rosters.

Billy didn't have a Cousins, Wall, and Bledsoe in his pocket either and would have to lay groundwork with players too.

Stronger brand by far but absolutely no current relationships or experience in the landscape.

Whatever you say buddy. Doesn’t change what I said.
6:1 ratio. And I'm not your "buddy"

Loser GIF by Playboy Fragrances

Reactions: BBUK
I don't see how you can declare that getting started earlier didn't matter.

Are you just looking at signees with no accounting for seeds planted sprouting?

Everything isn't instant. Even teams with continuity are having to fight tooth and nail to build rosters.

Billy didn't have a Cousins, Wall, and Bledsoe in his pocket either and would have to lay groundwork with players too.

Stronger brand by far but absolutely no current relationships or experience in the landscape.

I'm sure that week or two helps. I just more found it funny that at the time of elimination, we only had one guy grabbed.

My curiosity is getting the better of me in asking you to explain that number. Also revealing you’re mentally stunted or a literal child.
If you don't know the answer, then right off the bat you lack basic troubleshooting skill. There are no "literal children" here, and the only mentally stunted people are people like you with awful ratios. What happened in your past?

If you don't know the answer, then right off the bat you lack basic troubleshooting skill. There are no "literal children" here, and the only mentally stunted people are people like you with awful ratios. What happened in your past?
So you’re just dumb, got it.

I am so glad MB went ahead and hired Pope. Never wanted him to hire someone who had already been to the top and already had the excitement of winning a natty at another school before getting here. Now we can experience the excitement of that 1st title together with him, as it should be. And the more I watch his coaching when watching BYU games on YouTube, the more certain I am that he is the right man for the job. He impressed when his first year BYU team ended the Zags long winning streak; and got BYU ranked for the first in 10 years. Also, his BYU team last season, its first year in the Big 12, ended Kansas' long home winning streak. The team had been projected preseason to finish #13 in the Big 12 conference but ended toward the top. I am confident he will bring a title to Ky. I think Mark Pope to be one of, if not the most motivated and smartest coaches in cbb today.

Last edited:
Reactions: saxonburgcat
I am so glad MB went ahead an hired Pope. Never wanted him to hire someone who had already been to the top and already had the excitement of winning a natty at another school before getting here. Now we can experience the excitement of that 1st title together with him, as it should be. And the more I watch his coaching when watching BYU games on YouTube, the more certain I am that he is the right man for the job. He impressed when his first year BYU team ended the Zags long winning streak; and got BYU ranked for the first in 10 years. Also, his BYU team last season, its first year in the Big 12, ended Kansas' long home winning streak. The team projected preseason to finish #13 in the Big 12 conference. I am confident he will bring a title to Ky. I think Mark Pope to be one of, if not the most motivated and smartest coaches in cbb today.
This is the stupidest crap I’ve ever read.

• Haha
Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT