ADVERTISEMENT

Does Oscar Consider a Return?

Mar 21, 2023
Listen part of me wants Oscar to move on because I just don’t feel like he will fit in with this incoming group. That being said if he did return I would hope he would improve on his defense over the summer. What is everyone’s thoughts on a possible return? Would you love to have him back or do you want him to move on?

I guess I could see a return if he was offered a lot of money in NIL deals. But the news of him and Calipari having a falling out over the summer doesn’t help the chances of a return either. I say he ultimately ends up overseas playing.

He's a back to back All American and last year's national player of the year and Wooden award winner. But somehow according to some people, he isn't good enough to play here and we should part ways. SMH.
It’s just his defense is very very bad. If he cannot guard the pick and roll at the college level then he will struggle even more at the pro level.

Reactions: MWes11
He's a back to back All American and last year's national player of the year and Wooden award winner. But somehow according to some people, he isn't good enough to play here and we should part ways. SMH.
It's not that he is not good enough.

Oscar is great at what he does (rebound). And he's a decent enough scorer inside.
But he has defensive limitations, and not just the ball-screen up top. He's also not good at help defense on drives, nor rim protection. And with Cal's defenses, rim protection is vital.

I think with Oscar, he is good enough that we would not have a "bad" team. He raises the floor.
But also with Oscar, I think he lowers the ceiling because of his defense.

I think the way I would most likely consider him to return, would be if he spent all summer on 2 things. 1) pick his spot, corner, wing, top of key, and become a decent (35%) 3pt shooter out there (like Patterson did). And 2) work on his lateral footwork on defending perimeter guys, so we could play him at the 4/PF. And then, at least on DEF, we have a rim protector other than him in the paint.
Make it 3 things. 3) be willing to play a smaller role, play 25-30mpg, be the 3rd or 4th option on offense.

Reactions: ukfan041 and MWes11
It’s just his defense is very very bad. If he cannot guard the pick and roll at the college level then he will struggle even more at the pro level.
Agree but we need to find a way to hide him on PnR's. If that is his only deficiency, you take him back in a heartbeat and figure it out and work on it during the off season. Bradshaw should be able to help with this.

Reactions: KFuqua
I think both parties need to move on. Yes he won player of year and all of that. But being the main guy and only 1 tournament win, just might not be working. Yes alot on Cal also but we need to try something else.

Yeah, but it worked pretty good his first year here when we got a 2 seed, and beating Kansas at Home. He had shooters around him. It takes a team that can shoot outside and do different things to go around a guy like Oscar. It could work, would've worked if we had a coach who didn't just stand around talking to hear himself yell. Oscar's not even been playing basketball that long and that would make most coaches want to keep working with him. Our coach is different though.

What everyone needs to understand if Cal has a sub par season he is gone.. He must put the best product on the floor and he can't go very far with just freshmen or an average bench

Reactions: NociHTTP
Seems like Cal had somethings lined up for Oscar to leave after last season. He came back. I think that may have been a surprise even then.

Who made the decision?Cal or Oscar?
I would say it came from the one who has trouble with the truth. The one always lying about dumb shit. He the kind of guy who lies over what kind of doughnut he just had. Them doughnuts was representing 🍩-1 in NCAA tourney games before he finally beat Providence.

Doughut eating Bulls & White Sox exec Jerry Krause liked doughnuts and that got him nicknamed Crumbs by those assholes he signed! Cal likes 🍩 so he needs a cool name like crumbs himself. Don't get him confused with Denny Crumbs though who won 2 titles. If Calipari coached baseball much he'd be trying to eat the doughnut guys put on bats in the on deck circle.

It sounds like Oscar and Cal were at odds this season.
Yeah I've heard that said many times and I also sensed it, but the way it was worded that it was that it was beyond fixable "at this point" is what I'm referring to. I mean every team has things go on behind closed doors and every coach and player don't always get along or see eye to eye but if Calipari wants to win and Oscar wants to win then no reason in the world that they couldn't workout the problems or differences they had. Everyone doesn't know what goes on behind closed doors as I already said but Oscar wants to be here and if Cal wants to do what he preaches by ending poverty and helping kids then I don't understand why this could not be fixable.

I know everyone don't agree with Oscars faith so let's just take that out of the equation. He is still a good kid. To do those things like stay after games and take pics and deal with all that when he don't even have to and who just happened to be your leader on the floor don't make no sense why Calipari couldn't be the adult and make Oscar fall in line and let him play here another year when he could clearly help us.

Rodman could play a little Defense and not run back down the court with both hands raised as if asking " what did I do?"
Cause Rodman had ppl to show him how to play and understand the game and no language barriers so he wasn't as confused. Also Rodman actually did run down the court many times with his hands raised as to say "what did I do" in case a ref saw something dirty 😂. But It all about angles!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT