ADVERTISEMENT

Does KU pass us in wins AGAIN this season ????

Will KU pass us again in wins this season?

• Yes

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • No

Votes: 74 63.8%

• Total voters
Some of you people could be given a brand new Mercedes-Benz Maybach and your reaction would be "gee, the tires are going to have to be replaced some day, and they'll cost a fortune."

Kentucky was just restored to All Times Wins leader yesterday. Enjoy it for a while. At least a day.

Kansas, meanwhile, is taking down a Final Four banner for cheating, while still dealing with having to cut Self's hand-picked woman-battering point guard Arterio Morris after he got busted (again) this time for rape. Don't act like that's the model anyone would want for our basketball program.

And for the record, no. Kentucky has a tougher schedule, especially in conference, but will hold the lead and gradually widen in over the next few years as Self runs out of felons to recruit.
Some of these guys wallow in misery just for the fun of it

I’m relatively new to the board and have noticed certain trends. And your posts tend to focus on negatives. Why is that?
And you'll notice that this person will never respond in the entire thread, even if it goes 20 pages long. They drop these little grenades and then run off and giggle like a clown.

Here’s a link to a 43-minute interview of Coach Rupp (audio interview), answering lots of questions about his early years at both Kansas and Kentucky. Pretty interesting. Seems like a really nice guy.

Wish he coulda cheated at least a bit. I mean, at KU, I’m sure we at least TRIED to teach him….🤷🏻‍♂️

ANNNYway…here’s the link to the interview (on the UK Athletics site: “kentucky-oral-history-dot-org”):

Rupp interview (written transcript included), courtesy of UK Athletics’ “Oral History Project”

**To hear the interview, you must tap on the “Play Interview” tab.

Last edited:
Here’s a link to a 43-minute interview of Coach Rupp (audio interview), answering lots of questions about his early years at both Kansas and Kentucky. Pretty interesting. Seems like a really nice guy.

Wish he coulda cheated at least a bit. I mean, at KU, I’m sure we at least TRIED to teach him….🤷🏻‍♂️

ANNNYway…here’s the link to the interview (on the UK Athletics site: “kentucky-oral-history-dot-org”):

Rupp interview (written transcript included), courtesy of UK Athletics’ “Oral History Project”

**To hear the interview, you must tap on the “Play Interview” tab.
Why do I feel like if I click your link I'll get a virus?

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
Winning % was the more important stat even when we had the all time wins lead.
Winning % was the more important stat when we gave it up
Winning % is still the most important stat now that we have all time wins back

There is literally no argument that can ever be made that all time wins is more important when teams play an unequal amount of games.

It's like prioritizing counting stats over rate stats. There's a reason why people have moved on from discussing the number of turnovers a team has and rather discusses turnover % on the basis of total possessions. Ditto rebounding.

And you'll notice that this person will never respond in the entire thread, even if it goes 20 pages long. They drop these little grenades and then run off and giggle like a clown.
That doesn’t describe me brooo. Not at all

The ONLY solution to this conundrum is for KU to re-hire Ted Owens who could not beat UK to save his life. Otherwise, UK has poked the bear and Larry Brown, Roy Williams, and Bill Self have reestablished the correct pecking order for college hoops!!

Well Cal is our Coach and we have given up every record we ever held under his watch. Tradition and Pride are not part of what Cal thinks is important.
He takes that attitude because he can't really do anything about it.

He takes that attitude because he can't really do anything about it.
Not sure about that, he has been about the NBA ever since he arrived. Maybe if he respected our history and tradition better he would have put more emphasis on protecting it.

When one of our records fall it is clear he does not care from his actions. I just wish he was UK first. I think if he put UK first and the fans knew he had UK's best interest at heart maybe the down years would be easier to stomach.⁸

Not sure about that, he has been about the NBA ever since he arrived. Maybe if he respected our history and tradition better he would have put more emphasis on protecting it.

When one of our records fall it is clear he does not care from his actions. I just wish he was UK first. I think if he put UK first and the fans knew he had UK's best interest at heart maybe the down years would be easier to stomach.⁸
Exactly. Fans don't feel he is serious about the tradition of winning. He's said as much. My point was that maybe it's easier for him to claim his purpose is greater (ending generational poverty) than focusing on winning for the greater glory of the Program and BBN. Titles don't matter to him because his ulterior motive is greater, he claims. This is not some fabrication on my part but his own words. He will always talk out of both sides of his mouth, so you never know if there's any real truth in anything he says. Reality of results is his only truth and is why Cal's reality of results is so troubling in recent years. Hope he does better with this team.

Last edited:
It's 7 games. They will beat up on the Big 12 and we will take several losses. Cal doesn't care about the SEC tournament so they are likely to gain a couple on us in theirs. Then they will likely advance further than us in the NCAA tournament. If they don't get within a game or two at least I will be surprised.
Cal doesn't care about the regular season either. Or the NCAAT.

It's only DRAFT NIGHT that matters!

Winning % was the more important stat even when we had the all time wins lead.
Winning % was the more important stat when we gave it up
Winning % is still the most important stat now that we have all time wins back

There is literally no argument that can ever be made that all time wins is more important when teams play an unequal amount of games.

It's like prioritizing counting stats over rate stats. There's a reason why people have moved on from discussing the number of turnovers a team has and rather discusses turnover % on the basis of total possessions. Ditto rebounding.
Wrong answer.

If that were true in any way, shape or form, there would be an abundance of 1 win, 0 loss QBs in the NFL Hall of Fame.

Reactions: Mike-McD
Wrong answer.

If that were true in any way, shape or form, there would be an abundance of 1 win, 0 loss QBs in the NFL Hall of Fame.

Your right there needs to be a large number of games.

A 100% win rate doesn’t mean much if you are 1-0.

But taking about UK and KU where thousands of games have been played you definitely use win pct.

Reactions: KyWildcatDon
Cal doesn't care about the regular season either. Or the NCAAT.

It's only DRAFT NIGHT that matters!

People say this but Cals comments have suggested otherwise.

People mention draft night and generational poverty cause those are things Cal brings up. Yet everyone ignores it when he says his goal is for an undefeated season or catching UCLA lol

Cal has a massive ego. I think everyone here can agree on that. There is zero chance that man doesn’t care about winning

People say this but Cals comments have suggested otherwise.

People mention draft night and generational poverty cause those are things Cal brings up. Yet everyone ignores it when he says his goal is for an undefeated season or catching UCLA lol

Cal has a massive ego. I think everyone here can agree on that. There is zero chance that man doesn’t care about winning
Nobody ignored it when he said his goal was catching UCLA. But that was a long, long time ago and his priorities and motivation have clearly changed. He has no chance now.

Reactions: UKNothinButNet
Your right there needs to be a large number of games.

A 100% win rate doesn’t mean much if you are 1-0.

But taking about UK and KU where thousands of games have been played you definitely use win pct.
I still disagree.

But for the sake of argument - and I don't really even feel that motivated for the discussion so not sure why I'm doing this - how many games does a program need to have played for winning percentage to be the most important stat? And if there is one, where is that standard defined or listed?

I still disagree.

But for the sake of argument - and I don't really even feel that motivated for the discussion so not sure why I'm doing this - how many games does a program need to have played for winning percentage to be the most important stat? And if there is one, where is that standard defined or listed?

Im not sure. But at the same rate if one team has 100 wins and no losses and another team is 105-105 at what point is it ridiculous to consider the 105 win team to be the better overall program.

My goodness, we just can't be happy about anything anymore can we?

We haven't even played an official game yet, and the season is already over.

Again, Cai is in the basement of my dog house, but I'm going to try and like our guys and pull for them. Can we wait until January at least to be bummed?
This is Wildcats1st pre-season negative warm up.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
Im not sure. But at the same rate if one team has 100 wins and no losses and another team is 105-105 at what point is it ridiculous to consider the 105 win team to be the better overall program.
I get it, but that doesn't answer the question. To which I can assume that you are one of the few people who thinks that way and even you aren't sure about it.

I get it, but that doesn't answer the question. To which I can assume that you are one of the few people who thinks that way and even you aren't sure about it.

FWIW I'm not saying that win pct is the "most important stat". I'm just saying that it's more indicative of how good a program is overall than total wins. Take a look at the programs that are on the list for most wins. Sure you got your blue bloods, the teams that most would agree on but you also have some other teams that not many people would agree are among the better teams. Do you know who is ranked 6th in overall wins? Temple. Does anyone on the face of earth consider Temple to be the 6th best program? Temple also has just a .635 win pct. Which is more indicative? Syracuse 7th? Notre Dame 8th? St Johns 9th? I mean I went to St Johns but I would never put them in the top 10.

I mean there's many ways one can go about this. Some would argue that titles matter the most and thus whoever has the most titles should be considered the "best" overall.

Heck if I google "all time wins ncaa basketball" the first result is literally a Wikipedia page that lists teams in order of overall wins..........but also includes a column for win pct lol.

That was a big year to pick up games. I put this in another thread previously. Here is the +/- for UK coaches from Rupp onward in terms of losing or picking up games on Kansas:

Cal: -28 (-2 per year average)
BCG: -24 (-12 per year average)
Tubby: -13 (-1.3 per year average)
Pitino: -9 (-1.125 per year average)
Sutton: -18 (-4.5 per year average)
Hall: +61 (+4.7 per year average)
Rupp: +173 (+4.22 per year average)
So cal is basically a wash with them other than the year that was bs

They will pass us next year.

As stated however they played more games than us + they have been in a crap conference for decades.

Once the SEC got serious about basketball it was only a matter of time before UK lost ground.

Top 10 you can judge by wins, win %, finals 4 and titles. You can explain your position however you'd like. At the end of the day most rational people would put UK #1 as the best program of all time.

Reactions: The_Answer1313
No, but given even if we expand it this year (say we are better than everyones best hopes), we will still have bad years. I say 4 to 6 years tops. Unless Kansas joins (SEC) or BIG10 or ACC. If BIG 12 stays the way it is, they will hardly lose games in the future. No Texas and No Oklahoma.
B12 isn't that bad....

Baylor has won a title....TTU was runner-up. Three staright years, they put a team in the title game.

2019- Texas tech
2021--Baylor
2022--KU

Kasnsas State two Elite 8's past 5 NCAAT. Iowa States had some good teams.

Yes losing OU and TX----But added Houston, Cincy, and BYU.

They will pass us next year.

As stated however they played more games than us + they have been in a crap conference for decades.

Once the SEC got serious about basketball it was only a matter of time before UK lost ground.

Top 10 you can judge by wins, win %, finals 4 and titles. You can explain your position however you'd like. At the end of the day most rational people would put UK #1 as the best program of all time.
I don’t think you realized how much you contradicted yourself in that post

B12 isn't that bad....

Baylor has won a title....TTU was runner-up. Three staright years, they put a team in the title game.

2019- Texas tech
2021--Baylor
2022--KU

Kasnsas State two Elite 8's past 5 NCAAT. Iowa States had some good teams.

Yes losing OU and TX----But added Houston, Cincy, and BYU.
Big 12 has been Kansas and everyone else (in league games for the most part). They seem to just win in that conference, like KENTUCKY did for all those years in the SEC. Now the SEC is a much stronger conference and teams are better 1-14 soon to be 1-16 in basketball. Might change back but highly doubt it. SEC and BIG 10 will continue to get stronger and stronger. Big 12 and ACC will be fair to good top to bottom. Hope I am wrong and Big 12 just gets some really good teams and coaches to go against Self but just do not see it at this time. UC and BYU do upset some teams every once and again but for the most part are harmless foes. Houston will have a good year every few years but do not see them. Baylor and Houston do play some decent bball as does Ok State and Kansas St (every few years) and TTU every few years.

Big 12 has been Kansas and everyone else (in league games for the most part). They seem to just win in that conference, like KENTUCKY did for all those years in the SEC. Now the SEC is a much stronger conference and teams are better 1-14 soon to be 1-16 in basketball. Might change back but highly doubt it. SEC and BIG 10 will continue to get stronger and stronger. Big 12 and ACC will be fair to good top to bottom. Hope I am wrong and Big 12 just gets some really good teams and coaches to go against Self but just do not see it at this time. UC and BYU do upset some teams every once and again but for the most part are harmless foes. Houston will have a good year every few years but do not see them. Baylor and Houston do play some decent bball as does Ok State and Kansas St (every few years) and TTU every few years.
Houston will always be a force as long as KS is there...Same with Baylor. Neither is some "Johnny come lately..." Or a one hit wonder.

I loathe KU....But the B12 is not that bad of a conference...Especially the past 10 years, or so.

I'll argue for the B10.,....But the SEC with Oats, Mussleman as youngsters, is getting better and better---Now you add TX and OU...B!0 adding UCLA and Oregon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT