ADVERTISEMENT

Does Kentucky have a true GOAT?

you actually think this is an debatable point?

People are discussing total title wins AFTER defining who is in GOAT discussion. Not the FIRST thing people use to define GOAT.

Robert Horry isn't even in GOAT discussion. So, obviously it doesn't matter how many rings he has. We all know he never lead the team. We all know he isn't in Charles Barkley's stratosphere.

In this case, people are discussing the all time greats for UK, and debating comparative points between THOSE players. And in this scenario, we are mostly talking about Issel versus AD, with few additional players.

I wish people stop using stupid comparison to have a debate. It's really silly.

Huh? That’s literally what a debate is. A comparison of two things.

you actually think this is an debatable point?

People are discussing total title wins AFTER defining who is in GOAT discussion. Not the FIRST thing people use to define GOAT.

Robert Horry isn't even in GOAT discussion. So, obviously it doesn't matter how many rings he has. We all know he never lead the team. We all know he isn't in Charles Barkley's stratosphere.

In this case, people are discussing the all time greats for UK, and debating comparative points between THOSE players. And in this scenario, we are mostly talking about Issel versus AD, with few additional players.

I wish people stop using stupid comparison to have a debate. It's really silly.
It is really silly to judge who is the greatest player by rings. What was the supporting cast like. What was the competition like, who was hurt. Especially when we are talking college which is at most a 4 year career.

It is really silly to judge who is the greatest player by rings. What was the supporting cast like. What was the competition like, who was hurt. Especially when we are talking college which is at most a 4 year career.

I'm not disagreeing with other factor. But rings do matter. This is sports where one player can make dramatic and humongous difference. (Even truer with college)

Do you think it's coincidence that the greatest of each era all pretty much have a ring? (In NBA)

Both are amazing player and both put amazing stats relative to their era. What separates then is the last small minute detail.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
This is exactly the point I was making in my post about at vs from earlier in the thread. I tend to believe the GOAT question comes down to what the player did at UK(or whatever school one considers) as opposed to what he did in the pros.

At the end of the day likely it comes down to Issel vs Davis,but taking that narrow view brings in other players like Mashburn,Jones,Spivey,Hagan and Beard(and probably others)

No one can diminish what AD did here but Dan put a lot of basketballs thru the hoop and grabbed a lot of rebounds at UK, we won a hell of a lot of games with him doing it.

I agree, but I think it's one of those subjective terms like "MVP" that leaves it open to interpretation to the point that it depends both on what someone values and how they define the idea in the first place.

Michael Jordan is the most talented player to ever suit up for Carolina. But he didn't have the "greatest" career there or accomplish the most. Tyler Hansbrough was a better Tar Heel (for longer), but most people immediately jump to Jordan.

Which also gets to the point @morgousky made, and what might be one of Cal's most valuable contributions to our program when it's all said and done. We don't really have "that guy" in the way UCLA and Kansas and Carolina do. And while it's too early to put AD in that category (or KAT, or whoever), he's given us enough elite pros that we'll begin to match up in that area historically. I believe @Son_Of_Saul says that often too.

Here’s where the problem lies. GOAT is a combination of all things and yes championships are a BIG part of the equation. Davis had the single most dominating year on record when you look at both offensive and defensive stats. Issel is the guy who the Vietnam era white dudes don’t want to let go of; however, if there was a draft of uk players to play against one another in their prime, he would be picked number 1 everytime. I mean look at Jordan. Was he the GOAT at UNCheat??? He certainly was and I bet there are many more players who have done more than Jordan did in his two years there. Davis isn’t Jordan caliber but he is elite caliber, transcendent even at the next level and that along with his carrying a team to a title, and putting up ridiculous numbers on both ends should end the debate.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT