ADVERTISEMENT

Does Kentucky have a true GOAT?

You can bend the criteria to fit whomever you want but AD is our GOAT. He is the best player to ever step on the basketball court at UK. He is our version of michael Jordan. Playing 1 year means nothing when discussing who is the best ever.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
What about The Goose? Before my time but I always remember my dad speak of how bad of a man he was on the court.

Dropped 41 on duke in the nat’l ship, an all American 3x I believe, player of the year, final four mop, all sec and I’m sure I’m missing some other awards.
41...Issel laughs at 41. He averaged almost 34 ppg

Issel scored 2138 at UK (in 3 years)
Averaged Double/Double (26 points + 13 rebounds)
Plus he scored 27,000 as a Pro (ABA/NBA)

Davis is our greatest talent
Issel is our GOAT by default.
agree...
but this was Kenny Walker's numbers
some stats
last three years at UK (kinda estimated...not enough time to really crunch numbers)
101 games played
35 mins per game
about .556 FG%
1 block per game
1.3 assist per
18.4 points per game
2X SEC Player of the year
2X All-American...one 2nd team and one unanimous 1st team

He needs to be in conversation

AD may have only played one year, but he had the single most decorated season in college basketball history. Title winner, most wins by a title team (38), best win percentage by a title team, FOY, POY, DPOY, MVP.

Not saying he should be #1.. but damn.. that single year.

The Issel worship in these threads always sickens me. He was an awesome player for his day. At the same age AD would absolutely annihilate Issel one on one under any set of rules you please. And I’m not even completely convinced AD is our GOAT (though he has a hella case).

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Its should be stipulated whether best while at UK or best all time. Big difference.

Best at UK = IMO Dan Issel but I don't know much about the older guys. AD had a great year but the body of work doesn't surpass what Issel and others have done for their career.

Best all time = will probably be Anthony Davis but he ain't done yet

Reactions: Blueaz
Its should be stipulated whether best while at UK or best all time. Big difference.

Best at UK = IMO Dan Issel but I don't know much about the older guys

Best all time = probably Anthony Davis but he ain't done yet
He was best at UK as well no one has accomplished as much

I would say anyone saying AD and its not close never saw Dan play. The production while at UK is whats not close. He is our greatest.
hmmm. Look below - Davis did all that in one year, Issel did 1 of those things in 4 years (he was a consensus 1st team AA his senior year). Yet he was more productive? Can't see it.......
NCAA Championship
Final Four MOP
Consensus National Player of the Year
Consensus 1st Team All-American
NABC Defensive Player of the Year
USBWA National Freshman of the Year
SEC Player of the Year
SEC Defensive Player of the Year

You can make a case for the 3 names most mentioned but a case can be made for Jones,Spivey , Hagan and a few others.When a program has been what UK was and still is for as long as it held that position then players across several eras of basketball are in the conversation.

I don't think one can come up with a definitive right answer,it would be great if we could.

A few random thoughts:

I think many confuse the AD we see now with the AD we saw for a year here

Issel was a work in progress,he got better over the 4 years he was here,he was the consolation prize when we didn't get George Janky

Mashburn was probably more important in terms of restoring the program than the other two

Spivey(because of the scandal) probably never got the credit he deserved.

Jones being part of the original Fab Five(maybe the first Super Team) wasn't fully appreciated for his individual talent.
Dan Issel, Bill Spivey, Anthony Davis

I see were you named Spivey & rightly so. He was basketball's 1st great 7' footer. And would have been a can't miss Hall of Famer if it wasn't for the point shaving scandal that rocked college basketball during that time.

The Issel worship in these threads always sickens me. He was an awesome player for his day. At the same age AD would absolutely annihilate Issel one on one under any set of rules you please. And I’m not even completely convinced AD is our GOAT (though he has a hella case).

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'll respect your opinion if you tell me: how old were you when Issel played for UK? If you were under 15, ignorance is a heck of a drug too!
Issel scored 27,000 points as a Pro.

Issel. Period. No objective discussion can be made otherwise. Anyone trying to make an argument to the contrary is barking.

The
gillispie

Reactions: Pope John Wall II
Jabbar said Issel was the most difficult player he ever guarded in the NBA and he
was the all time leading scorer and rebounder at UK.
11th all time scorer in ABA/NBA.
It's Big Dan.

Always thought Wall would be the “IT” name for us. The hype out of high school and while he was in college was equal to rock star status. AD came in quietly considering the star he’s become. If he gets in a large market situation, he’ll be the face for the league.

Wall is over hyped. Great speed, ver good finisher but not transcendent player he was supposed to be. Not that he's not great, he's a star just not a superstar.

The answer is Davis if the criteria is best player at any level that played here, similar to Jordan.

If the criteria is mainly their time here then it is Issel in a landslide

nothing against Anthony Davis, but for greatest players for UK . . . not greatest players, but greatest players for UK . . . and I am old, but AD ain't even on the list . . .

If that’s the criteria, it’s this guy:
images

He played a lot of games but doesn’t have the stats to back it up. Gotta have a natty, a big time producer and has to carry some nba success. Davis top pick (how many we had?), carried his team to a title, averaged 14,10 and 5. He did in what season Issel couldn’t do in 3.

What about Alex Groza?

Way before my time (Heck my dad was 2 years old when he played his last game at UK), but he won back to back titles, was two time MOP of the tourney, consensus 2nd team All-American in '48 and consensus 1st team All-American in 1949. Led the team in scoring both years. Averaged over 20 a game in 1949.

Not saying he is the GOAT, but that's pretty good stats.

It’s Dan Issel. In terms of pure stats, it’s Issel.

Now with that being said, in terms of shot blocking and court dominance? It’s Davis. Easily.

Davis had 186 blocks in one season. That’s insane. If he had stayed 4 years. Oh my.

Would not have mattered. Pete Maravich won all NPOY awards available for Issel's senior year, 1969-1970. Had the Wooden Award been available, he would have won that too. Issel didn't win a NPOY award at Kentucky.
But Davis doesn’t win if Pete Maravich is playing either. As far as all time seasons, it would be hard for anyone to compete with Pete. Lol Different conversation but very interesting. I love this board.

Reactions: westerncat
NCAA Championship
Final Four MOP
Consensus National Player of the Year
Consensus 1st Team All-American
NABC Defensive Player of the Year
USBWA National Freshman of the Year
SEC Player of the Year
SEC Defensive Player of the Year

Hard to accomplish more than what Anthony Davis did in his one year. That guy's jersey should have been up in the rafters before the bus got back from New Orleans.
Lol Hard to argue with that.

Issel scored 2138 at UK (in 3 years)
Averaged Double/Double (26 points + 13 rebounds)
Plus he scored 27,000 as a Pro (ABA/NBA)

Davis is our greatest talent
Issel is our GOAT by default.
That’s probably as close as any argument for either player. I’ll take that. Anyone being in the same conversation with Issel at UK is unbelievable.

But Davis doesn’t win if Pete Maravich is playing either. As far as all time seasons, it would be hard for anyone to compete with Pete. Lol Different conversation but very interesting. I love this board.

Yes he would...

It's Davis. Anyone who says otherwise are confused that winning basketball is all about putting big numbers. It's not.

AD knew how to win at collegiate level. He probably did some thing unintentionally but that's the reality.

AD's accolades are far greater than anyone else. It's quite insane actually. Right now he's considered top 3 player in NBA. Absolutely insnae dude.

Sound evaluation. Issel was the greatest producer in UK history. Looks like AD was the greatest talent. Can you imagine AD at UK for 4 years?
What about Alex Groza?

Way before my time (Heck my dad was 2 years old when he played his last game at UK), but he won back to back titles, was two time MOP of the tourney, consensus 2nd team All-American in '48 and consensus 1st team All-American in 1949. Led the team in scoring both years. Averaged over 20 a game in 1949.

Not saying he is the GOAT, but that's pretty good stats.
Thanks for that. He was a bad man from what the older guys say. That sure was a great career. Can u believe how many great players we’ve had. I feel like I’m the luckiest man in the world to have been born and raised a KY WILDCAT!

It’s Dan Issel. In terms of pure stats, it’s Issel.

Now with that being said, in terms of shot blocking and court dominance? It’s Davis. Easily.

Davis had 186 blocks in one season. That’s insane. If he had stayed 4 years. Oh my.
Wow. I know It hasn’t been that long but it happened so fast and he was gone. Just thinking back how dominant he was seems unreal now. Just wow. Such a rare and talented guy. Actually once in a lifetime kinda guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT