ADVERTISEMENT

Does Kentucky have a true GOAT?

Yes he would...

It's Davis. Anyone who says otherwise are confused that winning basketball is all about putting big numbers. It's not.

AD knew how to win at collegiate level. He probably did some thing unintentionally but that's the reality.

AD's accolades are far greater than anyone else. It's quite insane actually. Right now he's considered top 3 player in NBA. Absolutely insnae dude.
Ohh he would have definitely had my vote, but when Pete was having 50 regularly it would have been hard to beat as a freshman. Lol. I’m still with you and voting for Davis, I just don’t know if the rest of the country would have.

AD may have only played one year, but he had the single most decorated season in college basketball history. Title winner, most wins by a title team (38), best win percentage by a title team, FOY, POY, DPOY, MVP.

Not saying he should be #1.. but damn.. that single year.
Just awesome. That is all. Lol

That’s probably as close as any argument for either player. I’ll take that. Anyone being in the same conversation with Issel at UK is unbelievable.
We haven't added Dan's tenure as an NBA GM and Coach.
He was a tough, mean player, but a class act guy.

Well in that case, we can't even try and compare AD until his career is over. That's another thing going fro him.. he's on his way to true NBA stardom, if he isn't there already. Again, not sure who is #1 because there's a lot of criteria, and I understand the "only 1 year" angle..

But Anthony Davis will be the more famous Kentucky player, if not already.

Yes sir he is a class act. Has been a great representative for UK. Thanks for the conversation gentlemen and ladies but I’m off to sleep town. Lol. Have a great night everyone.

Reactions: uky8unc5
Well in that case, we can't even try and compare AD until his career is over. That's another thing going fro him.. he's on his way to true NBA stardom, if he isn't there already. Again, not sure who is #1 because there's a lot of criteria, and I understand the "only 1 year" angle..

Those are great points LSC. I also believe that he’s just 3 or 4 years from being the best player in the NBA and becoming MVP.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
What about The Goose? Before my time but I always remember my dad speak of how bad of a man he was on the court.

Dropped 41 on duke in the nat’l ship, an all American 3x I believe, player of the year, final four mop, all sec and I’m sure I’m missing some other awards.

Dude, I liked Goose too, but you are SEVERELY exaggerating his resume.

He was never "player of the year", and he most certainly was NOT a "3X all american", instead he was only once a second team AA (see link).

I don't know where you guys come up with some of your stuff.

Last edited:
AD gets my vote. I'm curious as to how many people that choose Issel over AD because of stats will take Jordan over LeBron because of titles.

What a joke of a question.

The answer is yes. His initials are AD. Best CBB player to ever don the blue and white. Best CBB player of the modern era. Never seen a more dominant force in college. Ever. People try and say shaq. But no, just no. Every single time a team tried to go downlow, If AD didn't block the shot, then he effected the shot forcing a miss (which doesn't show up on a stat sheet but if it did I guarantee he would've shattered the CBB record for it by a large margin), essentially destroying every single opponents gameplan. It was unreal watching him play, his basketball instincts and timing on contesting shots, and never ever ever falling for pumpfakes, is by the most impressive thing I've ever witnessed in the game of basketball. That's why we beat every single team we played that season.

If people try and use stats to say AD isn't the GOAT and ignore all the shots AD altered where opponents would throw up prayers just to avoid AD adding a block to his stat sheet. Then you clearly didn't watch the games to know what you're talking about.

Last edited:
Anthony Davis is only 25 years old. We have no idea how good he might be. We might see him become a transcendent player. We might not.

It seems a bit absurd to try and call a 25 year old the greatest player in UK history when you literally have no clue how his career will unfold.

GOAT is not "greatest talent", is it? Because if that is the discussion, AD probably deserves that title.
GOAT for me is the statue you would build outside Rupp Arena.

Sounds like AD had an awesome year, Dan Issel an awesome Kentucky career.

Let's not forget the coaching differences.
AND the fact the game is different.

I give it to Issel because he was the main focus of the opponents defense and STILL averaged a double-double.

Reactions: JC CATS
How many rings did Issel win at UK?? I mean with all our nattys seems like the GOAT would come from one of those teams
Robert Horry has 2 hands filled with rings. Where does he rank on the all time list of NBA greats. Does AD have a ring without MKG. Dan Issel MKG was hurt Mike Casey. Can't judge everything on rings. Barkley has 0, he is better than many guys with multiple rings, is he not?

Wait, so now Kentucky fans DO take "Helms" seriously? Funny, that's precisely the opposite of what we constantly tell Kansas and North Carolina fans.

If we're gonna claim that Helms awards are meaningless when our rivals mention them then I don't think we should be touting them for ourselves.

I’m just relying the stats from a UK website so if you have a problem holler at the people who made the website. Relax bro.

To answer this question, you have to have some revisionist history and not only look back at the player, what they accomplished in their career (at UK and beyond), but what impact did they have on the program?

It's the reason why arguably you could say John Wall is in the discussion. It was his recruitment, commitment, on-court play, NBA Draft selection and NBA career that arguably paved the way and influenced the greatest results, profitability and exposure in the history of the program.

Charles Barkley 0 NBA titles. Robert Horry 7 NBA titles. Which one was the best player?

you actually think this is an debatable point?

People are discussing total title wins AFTER defining who is in GOAT discussion. Not the FIRST thing people use to define GOAT.

Robert Horry isn't even in GOAT discussion. So, obviously it doesn't matter how many rings he has. We all know he never lead the team. We all know he isn't in Charles Barkley's stratosphere.

In this case, people are discussing the all time greats for UK, and debating comparative points between THOSE players. And in this scenario, we are mostly talking about Issel versus AD, with few additional players.

I wish people stop using stupid comparison to have a debate. It's really silly.

Ohh he would have definitely had my vote, but when Pete was having 50 regularly it would have been hard to beat as a freshman. Lol. I’m still with you and voting for Davis, I just don’t know if the rest of the country would have.

In that Era, AD would put up even bigger numbers. At the end of the day, what does our Leaders do that leads us to championship. That should be one of the very important keys to defining GOAT.

There are almost as many different takes on this subject as there are fans.

I would submit that one must first decide if you are trying to name the GOAT AT UK or FROM UK. In order to be clear on the point I am making ,Jordan may not have been the GOAT at UNC but undoubtedly he is the Goat from UNC.

This unfortunately won't settle the AD vs Issel debate but it does make a bit more clear the criteria to be used.

Issel played longer,set single season records, impacted more games and holds more records than Davis

Davis set single season records,won a National Championship

If we stop there then Issel would seem to have the edge.If we include their pro careers the jury is still out and will be until Davis is finished playing.

There are almost as many different takes on this subject as there are fans.

I would submit that one must first decide if you are trying to name the GOAT AT UK or FROM UK. In order to be clear on the point I am making ,Jordan may not have been the GOAT at UNC but undoubtedly he is the Goat from UNC.

This unfortunately won't settle the AD vs Issel debate but it does make a bit more clear the criteria to be used.

Issel played longer,set single season records, impacted more games and holds more records than Davis

Davis set single season records,won a National Championship

If we stop there then Issel would seem to have the edge.If we include their pro careers the jury is still out and will be until Davis is finished playing.
That’s a good take on it and the one that I was using myself. I think This is just too hard to have a definitive winner between these two as they are both worthy. I do think that The longer Davis can keep up his top five in the league game, that his legend is only going to grow and in ten years it may not even be a question anymore. Maybe five if he can keep doing what he is and get a championship. Still, a great debate between two unbelievable Wildcats.

Reactions: docholiday51
That’s a good take on it and the one that I was using myself. I think This is just too hard to have a definitive winner between these two as they are both worthy. I do think that The longer Davis can keep up his top five in the league game, that his legend is only going to grow and in ten years it may not even be a question anymore. Maybe five if he can keep doing what he is and get a championship. Still, a great debate between two unbelievable Wildcats.
Doesn’t change the all time cat while a cat question though. Lol.

Y'all freakin' wrong

IT IS EASILY CHRIS GETTLEFINGER!!!
chris_gettelfinger3.jpg

Robert Horry has 2 hands filled with rings. Where does he rank on the all time list of NBA greats. Does AD have a ring without MKG. Dan Issel MKG was hurt Mike Casey. Can't judge everything on rings. Barkley has 0, he is better than many guys with multiple rings, is he not?

Idk but whenever GOAT is discussed at any level they all have been champs. We aren’t talking about who is better than another it’s all time greatest. Barkley isn’t in any discussion for all time great and robert horry was a nice role player who played for teams with strong leaders. You gotta be a champ to even get intro the conversation imo especially in a program in which so many titles have been won.

Rupp (obviously) if picking a player is not a requirement. But if I can't do that, I'd go Dan Issel. You don't see many guys averaging 26.6 points and 13.6 rebounds per game one year and then 33.9 points and 13 boards per game the next year.

Reactions: JASUN74
It's pretty absurd to say Dan Issel is ours and that Michael Jordan is Carolina's. If you think ours is Issel, you have to say Hansbrough is UNC's.

If you just had a strong reaction to reading that, might reconsider your argument a bit.

And Hansbrough won a ring and swept the POY categories.

It's pretty absurd to say Dan Issel is ours and that Michael Jordan is Carolina's. If you think ours is Issel, you have to say Hansbrough is UNC's.

If you just had a strong reaction to reading that, might reconsider your argument a bit.

And Hansbrough won a ring and swept the POY categories.
This is exactly the point I was making in my post about at vs from earlier in the thread. I tend to believe the GOAT question comes down to what the player did at UK(or whatever school one considers) as opposed to what he did in the pros.

At the end of the day likely it comes down to Issel vs Davis,but taking that narrow view brings in other players like Mashburn,Jones,Spivey,Hagan and Beard(and probably others)

No one can diminish what AD did here but Dan put a lot of basketballs thru the hoop and grabbed a lot of rebounds at UK, we won a hell of a lot of games with him doing it.

Last edited:
Davis won a title and had an amazing season. He then won gold in Olympics with a stud roster. He's going to have a long and dominant pro career. That said, one can't argue against Dan issel based on stats. He didn't win a title or even take UK to a final four though. Injuries to Casey aside he had 3 shots to do it and never did. He had a great pro career as well.

Ultimately I think it comes down to criteria. when I see the best cal pg and people hype ulis over wall...wall put up better stats than sop ulis in the NBA his rookie year. So clearly if wall comes back he dominates a pathetic college competition.

Respectfully . . . IMHO, a player can't be the GOAT without a Championship.

My vote: Anthony Davis

Respectfully . . . IMHO, a player can't be the GOAT without a Championship.

My vote: Anthony Davis
Wrong, winning a title means nothing if you're talking about a great player. Issel was the best hands down regardless. Had he been eligible to play his freshman year his stats would be untouchable.

Davis won a title and had an amazing season. He then won gold in Olympics with a stud roster. He's going to have a long and dominant pro career. That said, one can't argue against Dan issel based on stats. He didn't win a title or even take UK to a final four though. Injuries to Casey aside he had 3 shots to do it and never did. He had a great pro career as well.

Ultimately I think it comes down to criteria. when I see the best cal pg and people hype ulis over wall...wall put up better stats than sop ulis in the NBA his rookie year. So clearly if wall comes back he dominates a pathetic college competition.
Had Casey not gotten hurt one could make a very strong argument for him as well. BTW, how may times is the discussion going to come up? Seems like it's been about 4,263 times in the last couple of years.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
This is exactly the point I was making in my post about at vs from earlier in the thread. I tend to believe the GOAT question comes down to what the player did at UK(or whatever school one considers) as opposed to what he did in the pros.

At the end of the day likely it comes down to Issel vs Davis,but taking that narrow view brings in other players like Mashburn,Jones,Spivey,Hagan and Beard(and probably others)

No one can diminish what AD did here but Dan put a lot of basketballs thru the hoop and grabbed a lot of rebounds at UK, we won a hell of a lot of games with him doing it.
And he was the best, hands down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT