ADVERTISEMENT

Do you wear a mask when you go out in public?

Hand a holdup note to a teller

That may seriously happen a lot more now. Before if you walked into a bank with a mask everyone knew you were there to rob it and a lot of people were looking at you. Bank Robbers typically want to do it discreetly not with mask and guns blazing like the movies show. Now everyone will be wearing one so it will not be out of the norm and you will not be drawing attention to yourself. Also your face will be covered making identification harder. It will pose a problem for sure.

Reactions: JRCAT14
When they sent out an email at work saying we had to wear them and our company would supply everyone with one I emailed back a picture of Darth Vader and asked if I could have one like that? [roll]

Sometimes I do...
Darth-Vader-Wearing-a-Gas-Mask-111800.jpg

When they sent out an email at work saying we had to wear them and our company would supply everyone with one I emailed back a picture of Darth Vader and asked if I could have one like that? [roll]
:sunglasses:
That’s funny. Actually there is no rule I’ve heard as far as how creative you can be

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Mask for going into stores. A face shield at work. Sometimes a mask at work in addition to the face shield if I have to deal with a cancer patient.

I have a supply of medical grade N95s that I have been fit tested for, I am going to start wearing these to any place that is crowded to protect myself.
+1

Proper fit with a good seal is key, as I'm sure you are well-aware. We see yokels running around all over the place with these disposable surgical masks hanging half-way off their faces. Face covers are naturally ineffective when worn in such manner.

Another unfortunate consequence: waste. I'm now seeing old used masks and gloves lying on sidewalks, beside roads and in yards all over our part of Austin. Folks can't locate a trash can for some reason.

+1

Proper fit with a good seal is key, as I'm sure you are well-aware. We see yokels running around all over the place with these disposable surgical masks hanging half-way off their faces. Face covers are naturally ineffective when worn in such manner.

Another unfortunate consequence: waste. I'm now seeing old used masks and gloves lying on sidewalks, beside roads and in yards all over our part of Austin. Folks can't locate a trash can for some reason.
Last week when I went in the grocery store, I started counting people wearing masks incorrectly. In 40 minutes, I saw at least 10 masks being worn below the nose and another 3 completely below the persons mouth only covering the chin.

Last week when I went in the grocery store, I started counting people wearing masks incorrectly. In 40 minutes, I saw at least 10 masks being worn below the nose and another 3 completely below the persons mouth only covering the chin.

I stole this joke from Bill Mahr, but wearing a mask on your chin is like wearing a condom on your balls.

In all seriousness, many people simply have a hard time breathing, have the sensation of suffocating, etc. I have no doubt that when I go in a store, I will wear one if required, but it will be lowered at some point when I want to get some fresh air.

If thats your standard, then I guess we will live like this in perpetuity. If thats your standard, then why test at all? Look at the data, and stop listening to the fear mongering media. If thats your standard, do you live in isolation during flu season or during any other past epidemics? This is insanity. Sorry. You people who want to hunker down at home in fear are free to do so. Id certainly appreciate cheaper tickets to the games and shorter lines at bars and restaurants. In fact, I welcome it.

During my daily after-lunch walk around Chinatown - Austin yesterday, I counted 15 pieces of PPE litter laying on the ground. Count was something like 4-5 masks and 9-10 gloves. Technically speaking, one might consider these cast-offs as hazardous medical waste or bio-hazard.

I just shake my head when pondering the environmental impact that combines COVID-19 and your average Joe.

Unless there is some legitimate health reason preventing you from wearing one, there is not a single reason to justify not wearing one unless you’re an asshole that doesn’t care about anyone but yourself.

That's an absurd standard.

think about applying the same standard to driving a car or any other way to not put other people at risk.

I'm wearing a mask when I visit retailers etc... But there is nuance in the "mask" discussion.

During my daily after-lunch walk around Chinatown - Austin yesterday, I counted 15 pieces of PPE litter laying on the ground. Count was something like 4-5 masks and 9-10 gloves. Technically speaking, one might consider these cast-offs as hazardous medical waste or bio-hazard.

I just shake my head when pondering the environmental impact that combines COVID-19 and your average Joe.
I was out this morning near some medical research facilities and saw 3-4 N95 respirators on the ground. I assume they were used. Amazing what people will just throw on the ground.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Unless there is some legitimate health reason preventing you from wearing one, there is not a single reason to justify not wearing one unless you’re an asshole that doesn’t care about anyone but yourself.

How about not necessary in the majority of places I go to? Is that a reason?

Nonsense.
There are real reasons not to wear a mask for a normal healthy person.
That's not just my opinion, that is the opinion of experts who know that the general public may be doing more to harm themselves by wearing a mask every time they leave the house than any benefit they receive, which is mostly a security blanket for their fears.

Although he is not the expert I'm speaking of, I could show you a video of Dr. Fauci himself saying that masks for the general public are not necessary. I'm confident you trust him.

You can wear a mask the rest of your life. I don't care, that's your choice. I don't wear one and I don't care if you like it or not, that doesn't make your ignorant judgmental statement true.

Last edited:
Nonsense.
That's not just my opinion, that is the opinion of experts who know that the general public may be doing more to harm themselves by wearing a mask every time they leave the house than any benefit they receive, which is mostly a security blanket for their fears.

Although he is not the expert I'm speaking of, I could show you a video of Dr. Fauci himself saying that masks for the general public are not necessary. I'm confident you trust him.

You can wear a mask the rest of your life. I don't care, that's your choice. I don't wear one and I don't care if you like it or not, that doesn't make your ignorant judgmental statement true.
We are all for you and many in here not wearing a mask

We are all for you and many in here not wearing a mask

Your statement is untrue and you know it.
Quit worrying about anyone who doesn't wear one. I don't see people posting and deriding those that do. It's only the other way around. As I posted, there are legitimate reasons not to, if you wish to wear one do it and leave it at that.

Reactions: CB3UK
\

Your statement is untrue and you know it.
Then quit worrying about anyone who doesn't wear one. I don't see people posting and deriding those that do. It's only the other way around. As I posted, there are legitimate reasons not to, if you wish to wear one do it and leave it at that.
I’m not worried. You can do as you please as far as I care. Lick the handle on the milk case at Walmart if you want.

I’m not worried. You can do as you please as far as I care. Lick the handle on the milk case at Walmart if you want.

Again untrue. You'll have to explain the point and necessity of the last sentence. I guess that is supposed to part of an intelligent discussion for you.

“ shit happens”- slowly but surely, it does. Even with the stop light blinking on and off. Just like the big boys.

I starting wearing it today; I saw eight people in Kroger who were not wearing. I'm high risk, but I'm not going to live my life in fear. The big fear for me is pneumonia. I do have some bad memories/experience of having things cover part or all of my face.

Nonsense.

Can/will you show links to these?

A friend of mine, a fellow Cat fan who posts here from time to time, a professional in his field of work, recently related a story.

He went to his doctor for a checkup. This guy is mid 30's, very, very fit, works out each day, eats right, etc. They did a blood draw because of something they saw made them pause. Turns out his CO2 level was VERY elevated, to the point it was a danger. His doctor asked him if he wore a mask, to which he replied he had to at work, and then he wore one anytime he was outside his home.

His doctor told him he was seeing this more and more of late, and it's due to needlessly wearing a mask in places where you aren't in immediate contact with a known Covid patient. It's obvious when you think about it: when you exhale you are exhaling CO2, but the mask is preventing the majority of that CO2 from exiting, and you're breathing it right back in when you inhale.

On top of that, the mask prevents you from inhaling enough oxygen, thereby depriving your body of what it needs. Combine the two and you can see why wearing a mask, outside of when you're near a known Covid patient, is actually a detriment.

Reactions: JRCAT14
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT