ADVERTISEMENT

Do you wear a mask when you go out in public?

Use critical thinking, Karen.
I am and it’s been great! We’ve got two small kids at home, so we’re getting to spend a lot of time with them and I’ve “proved my productivity” enough that I am now indefinitely working from home.

I’m saving a couple hours a day in wasted commute/ office distraction time, and a few thousand a month from not eating out, not paying for daycare, and not using money from my vehicle stipend. I’ve lost 25 pounds of nonsensical, garbage-eating weight. And I just got a mid-year bonus. (To top it all off, I thought this was coming, so I went ahead and accelerated the purchase of a bigger house that accommodates two home offices and we moved in last month and we love it!) Critical thinking has been paying off!

Last edited:
<- - - Working from home since 03/17. Hated, HATED, protective masks since my Army days. GD things are hot and uncomfortable. However, my co-worker's mother passed away from Coronavirus-related complications on April 9th. Beginning April 10, the day after our co-worker announced his mother's death, my thoughts on the matter completely changed. I'm masked up every time my ass departs our residence. Add gloves when grocery shopping or interacting with anyone outside our residence.

Like seat-belts, face covers has become a part of life for at least the near-future in Austin, TX.

I am and it’s been great! We’ve got two small kids at home, so we’re getting to spend a lot of time with them and I’ve “proved my productivity” enough that I am now indefinitely working from home.

I’m saving a couple hours a day in wasted commute/ office distraction time, and a few thousand a month from not eating out, not paying for daycare, and not using money from my vehicle stipend. I’ve lost 25 pounds of nonsensical, garbage-eating weight. And I just got a mid-year bonus. (To top it all off, I thought this was coming, so I went ahead and accelerated the purchase of a bigger house that accommodates two home offices and we moved in last month and we love it!) Critical thinking has been paying off!
Now that’s how you humblebrag. Well done.

[eyeroll]

Reactions: JRCAT14

Sure you did, but it's the internet and anyone can claim anything. But if you did, congrats, I guess. Besides, I wasn't talking to you anyway. I don't need to say what I've accomplished and what I haven't; your post reeks of insecurity. If everyone were to divulge their salary, I bet it would average to north of 100K, when in actually reality it's far lower than that. I have a small house because it's only me, ZFG.

Sure you did, but it's the internet and anyone can claim anything. But if you did, congrats, I guess. Besides, I wasn't talking to you anyway. I don't need to say what I've accomplished and what I haven't; your post reeks of insecurity. If everyone were to divulge their salary, I bet it would average to north of 100K, when in actually reality it's far lower than that. I have a small house because it's only me, ZFG.
Sorry for the humblebrag, but I’ve been on top of this since January, nobody believed me, and everybody thought I was crazy, so I just quietly played the hand to my advantage and am now set for a long time. But, I can’t say “told you so” to people in real life, and nobody wants to hear about anyone actually saving money nowadays, so it’s fun to let loose on here.

Always an interesting read

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...onality-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20366662

Reactions: Joey Rupption
Sorry for the humblebrag, but I’ve been on top of this since January, nobody believed me, and everybody thought I was crazy, so I just quietly played the hand to my advantage and am now set for a long time. But, I can’t say “told you so” to people in real life, and nobody wants to hear about anyone actually saving money nowadays, so it’s fun to let loose on here.

Cool Story, want a cookie? You're the hungry tiger; you crave attention. If your life was so good in real life, why are you wasting your time with us underlings? I work from home too, and I'm saving money, like millions of other people. My brother just bought a house with a low APR; I could do the same if I so chose. BFD, it's nothing special. But here's your pat on the back, millionaire.

Cool Story, want a cookie? You're the hungry tiger; you crave attention. If your life was so good in real life, why are you wasting your time with us underlings? I work from home too, and I'm saving money, like millions of other people. My brother just bought a house with a low APR; I could do the same if I so chose. BFD, it's nothing special. But here's your pat on the back, millionaire.
I do most of my work at night after my kids go to sleep, and tonight I’m babysitting some computer renderings for a presentation tomorrow and watching Netflix. That’s why I’m wasting time on here. Thanks for the props!

I have not but to be quite honest I haven't walked into a crowded place in well over a month, almost 2. We started doing click list in late March. I have only periodically stopped in a gas station and liquor store otherwise.

I have closely followed what Michael Osterholm states regarding COVID and he is of the belief that a regular cloth mask does not prevent catching or spreading virus. That said if we were to go into a crowded place I would probably wear one because I wouldn't want others to feel uncomfortable (feels strange saying that).

No, not yet. For the most part I’ve only gone to my local grocery stores, hardware stores, and CVS since all this mess got started. I would say somewhere between a third and a half of the people in the stores have been masked.

I’ve been working from home since April 8 and get to go back on Monday. We’ve been asked to wear masks when “social distancing can’t be maintained” but for the most part I’ll probably keep myself sequestered in my office except for trips to the restroom, the coffee pot and the printer.

Only when I visit my elderly parents, so far. I’m not around anyone else during the day except family for the most part. I go through drive through if I go out. I will wear one in public if I’m around others from now on.

No, but I will when I get my haircut(May 30th!) because they asked if I would.

Pandemics come and go. Honestly, if you reside/work in an urban area, ride public transportation or work in places where air quality is questionable (dust, pollen, smog, ect.), purchasing reusable masks might be a good idea. One can buy good quality 3-layer face covers for ~$2-3 each.

Reactions: Rebelfreedomeagle
I do everything I can not to. It's pointless and it's a scare and submission tactic. If someone demands that I do I'll do it but I'll say it's ridiculous and tell them that they're just doing the reich thing

can you explain why it’s pointless?

Have had to for over a month at any place that’s open. Publix and Home Depot have people outside enforcing it.

can you explain why it’s pointless?

well in terms of health throwing a rag over your face is pointless. It's a scare tactic and a reminder that you're under the control of medical tyranny that's the point. Also to make people afraid of each other and think that things won't ever be normal again

Yes I wear a mask, I am a diabetic and when ever I read the under lying conditions Covid 19 attacks that is one of them. I have always been a hand washing and hand sanitizer user fanatic long before the virus hit. I have a several different kinds of masks that I wear, some I made, some medical masks. I really don't 2 craps what other people do, my wife and I will do what we think is best for us. I have been all over the world and I saw people in Korea and S.E. Asia wearing them as far back as the 1970's..I will continue to wear a mask in public even after this virus is gone. I don't have a problem with it. I have also been practicing social distancing most of my adult life. I can't stand being around or close to people I don't know and some even if I do know them, so that part of this pandemic has been easy for me. I stopped going to where there are crowds of people a long time ago. I basically am a loner and people really annoy the crap out of me, especially when I have to engage in useless chit chat. After work, I am as anti-social as one can be and I am just fine with that and so is my wife.

Austin is right about keeping masks around. I think it should be expected that if you're sick, you wear a mask. I don't care if it's sniffles, we can do that in public. Seems an awful lot of older people in my family have had chemo so I'll definitely be more careful around them in the future.

Also for the tyranny fighters: Does a "No shirt, No shoes, No service" sign flip your switch or is it just masks? What's the difference?

Also for the tyranny fighters: Does a "No shirt, No shoes, No service" sign flip your switch or is it just masks? What's the difference?

I asked myself that today. I remember when my older brother and I were taking a walk along the beach in Daytona. I was maybe 9 or 10. We decided to get something to eat, so we walked up to the street and found a little diner. The sign on the door said No shoes, No shirt, NO SERVICE!" I was only wearing trunks. My brother had a tee shirt, trunks and sandals. He went in. I waited outside while he got a couple of burgers and Cokes, and we went back to the beach and ate them. We didn't get pissed off or confront them about their policy.

I'll wear shirt and shoes without issue. If your business requires a mask, I'll simply turn around and look for somewhere else to do business with.
Problem solved.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
I'll wear shirt and shoes without issue. If your business requires a mask, I'll simply turn around and look for somewhere else to do business with.
Problem solved.
This. The mask is to keep you from spreading your germs. It doesnt protect you from getting it. Ive tested negative. Im not going to wear a mask to prevent the spread of something Im not carrying.

Reactions: goukcatsgo
Sometimes I do...
Darth-Vader-Wearing-a-Gas-Mask-111800.jpg

Reactions: AustinTXCat
I live in Atlanta and spend most of my time ITP ("Inside the Perimeter") or just a little OTP.

I try to not go out much. But when I go to a Kroger for example, I wear a mask and disposable gloves. The gloves are there so I can safely handle a shopping cart and the merchandise.

At the Kroger's here, about 90+% of the shoppers wear masks.

I feel ridiculous but for now it is the way of the world. It is of little inconvenience -- easier than dressing for a cold winter day.

...and...I want to consider the safety of others.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT