ADVERTISEMENT

Do you like or hate Vandy’s weird raised court?

Teams should be allowed to move their bench from the baseline.

Dork setup for Dungeons & Dragons cosplay...

vandy_dorx.jpg

Last edited:
As a player, I would've loved to have had that much space out of bounds to go after loose balls, rebounds, etc. I actually think all gyms should have an extra few feet on the sidelines and baselines for player safety.

As a coach, I would hate not being on the sideline.

That whole arena is goofy. I had seats behind one of the nets, and it was an awful experience. The seats were surrounded by concrete, which made hearing the PA super hard. Also had no view of screens, so never saw any replays. Probably a better experience with seats on the sides, but behind the nets was a horrible viewing experience.

Reactions: floatingyou
I had an AAU practice there once. It's awful to shoot in too. The depth perception is way different from other gyms. I hate it, it's def an advantage for Vandy

Love it, quirkiness for Home Court is what makes college basketball unique, imo. When did they change their Goals? Always liked the FB-esque H-bar goals they used.

Reactions: k4d2g0 and efauth99
Wouldn't say I like in particular, but at least it's different. And for those complaining about it giving them an advantage, how about other teams playing in front of 24,000 people?

The arena is awful all around. I was on second level mid-court and looked like watching tv with a huge black strip at top and bottom of the picture. And couldn't see the scoreboard at all. Awful place.

There's a reason that the NCAA requires all teams to have benches on the sidelines. Vandy is the only one granted an exemption to this rule. Vandy is used to practicing and playing that way, no other program has that setup so it gives Vandy an advantage, although it usually doesn't change the outcome much.

Up until 1967, UK had benches at the end of the floor atvMemorial Coliseum. A number of places did that.

Memorial Gym at Vandy now seats 15,000. It initially was a performing arts theatre of something like 1500 seats and over the years were added on to.

Best seats in the house, behind basket in row 5-20.

My 2nd favorite place to watch a basketball game only behind the originally configured 11,500 seat Memorial Coliseum.

Reactions: UpstateNYCat
Do you think it gives them a distinct home court advantage or do you think it’s pretty immaterial and insignificant?
Saw the Cat's there in 2012... Has that old gym smell, great environment. One of a kind... And yes it is a Home court advantage

Very unique, old school gym. Yeah, the modern arenas have all the scoreboards and replay screens but this place takes you back. The raised court actually gives a better view from the sides as there are no benches or scorer tables in the way. Quirky but cool.

Reactions: UpstateNYCat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT