ADVERTISEMENT

Do we eventually see this team clicking... and when?

May 30, 2019
Haven't seen many new topics pop up in the last day or so, so figured I'd throw out this question. I'll be the first to admit I was wrong about this team, at least in the early-going. I truly thought we were going to come out as a dominant team from the jump, based on our returning experience, etc. Anyway, it was about this time last year the CATS fell to 7-2 after losing to Notre Dame. Then we really started to see the team click and hit their stride, and six weeks later they easily looked like the best team in the country. We know how the story ended of course. But here we are a year later. I think we still have the pieces to get where we all want the team to go, but it's got to come together. I'm hoping we take care of business against Yale and then actually looking like a confident bunch with a solid win over UCLA... that's when we can potentially see the "click". If we can get to 8-2, I think we can definitely be 12-2 heading into the Bama game. By then everything is out in front of us, even if we fell to 12-3 @ Bama.

Do you think we continue to look disjointed? Are we getting closer? Do you think it's still too early to tell? Does this team have enough in its arsenal to be an actual contender?

I think we will go through an 8-game stretch (give or take) where we look like a Final Four team. But we will likely lose 10 games and end on a disappointing note. I hate being this pessimistic, but we have no recent history to make me feel otherwise.

We saw the beginning stages of the clicking v Michigan as evidenced not only by the neutral court win but the 9 of 15 shooting from long range.

May God have mercy on not only Yale Sat. but on every team UK plays the rest of this season.

I don’t see good chemistry with this team.
I don’t see guys that are truly happy for others.
Wheeler and Toppin are pushing to show they are NBA talents and will sacrifice the team as a result.
I can’t imagine Livingston, Theiro, and Ware are happy with playing time.

Unless the players accept their roles it will be a very ugly season.
Last year the team seemed to have better chemistry and enjoyed playing together and for one another up until Sharpe entered the picture. Then things went downhill.

Last edited:
Won’t matter. This team isn’t winning anything substantial. And Calipari and his fans have already said the SEC championship doesn’t matter. So that’s out.

March matters and I guess now beating a decent team in January matters. March ain’t happening as long as Wheeler plays late in games which he will.

I think we will click and become even stronger during the SEC schedule. I do think it possible that we might lose a player or two within the next few weeks. Our rotation is getting smaller and several very good players are not getting the clock that they hoped for. I am not counting Theiro in that group. I definitely hope that Livingston stays. I think he can be more valuable than Toppin. Collins has to show improvement and make the most of his minutes or he will be sitting by Ware forever. He, and possibly Ware, may be portal candidates.

I think we will click and become even stronger during the SEC schedule. I do think it possible that we might lose a player or two within the next few weeks. Our rotation is getting smaller and several very good players are not getting the clock that they hoped for. I am not counting Theiro in that group. I definitely hope that Livingston stays. I think he can be more valuable than Toppin. Collins has to show improvement and make the most of his minutes or he will be sitting by Ware forever. He, and possibly Ware, may be portal candidates.

It's pretty rare for a player to leave before mid-season. I think someone could transfer at the end of the year, maybe even 2.. but I highly doubt anyone is leaving now.

I think we will go through an 8-game stretch (give or take) where we look like a Final Four team. But we will likely lose 10 games and end on a disappointing note. I hate being this pessimistic, but we have no recent history to make me feel otherwise.
Unfortunately this. The pattern is just to well established to think otherwise.

We saw the beginning stages of the clicking v Michigan as evidenced not only by the neutral court win but the 9 of 15 shooting from long range.

May God have mercy on not only Yale Sat. but on every team UK plays the rest of this season.
I’ll save you the trouble. Please delete.

Wouldn't we really need to have a few leave to accommodate what coming in next year?

Yeah I think for sure some will transfer.. and some will also bolt for the NBA.. and some are graduating.

I don't deny that there will be some players, like Thiero, Ugonna or Ware who might be upset with their role. But I just don't see anything changing until the end of the season. As far as In can remember, only Whitney bailed mid season, but he was a head case anyways.

Haven't seen many new topics pop up in the last day or so, so figured I'd throw out this question. I'll be the first to admit I was wrong about this team, at least in the early-going. I truly thought we were going to come out as a dominant team from the jump, based on our returning experience, etc. Anyway, it was about this time last year the CATS fell to 7-2 after losing to Notre Dame. Then we really started to see the team click and hit their stride, and six weeks later they easily looked like the best team in the country. We know how the story ended of course. But here we are a year later. I think we still have the pieces to get where we all want the team to go, but it's got to come together. I'm hoping we take care of business against Yale and then actually looking like a confident bunch with a solid win over UCLA... that's when we can potentially see the "click". If we can get to 8-2, I think we can definitely be 12-2 heading into the Bama game. By then everything is out in front of us, even if we fell to 12-3 @ Bama.

Do you think we continue to look disjointed? Are we getting closer? Do you think it's still too early to tell? Does this team have enough in its arsenal to be an actual contender?
Define clicking.

It's pretty rare for a player to leave before mid-season. I think someone could transfer at the end of the year, maybe even 2.. but I highly doubt anyone is leaving now.
I hope you are right. Can a player transfer now and be eligible immediately at a new school for next semester.

Yeah I think for sure some will transfer.. and some will also bolt for the NBA.. and some are graduating.

I don't deny that there will be some players, like Thiero, Ugonna or Ware who might be upset with their role. But I just don't see anything changing until the end of the season. As far as In can remember, only Whitney bailed mid season, but he was a head case anyways.
I agree that it wont happen till the end of the season. As bad as they look now these potential transfers are looking at ccc and thinking, hell i cant do any worse, when's he gonna put me in. My goodness how far we fallen in our expectations since the Bahamas's.

Reactions: westerncat
I hope you are right. Can a player transfer now and be eligible immediately at a new school for next semester.

Oh, well that could change things.. but I think it's very difficult to get everything in order and try and land on a team with playing time available. These players would have to be planning this as we speak.. and while I do think some will be unhappy with their playing time.. I dont think we've hit that point yet.

I guess it's possible though.. hopefully Adou gets PT..

I don’t think it’s ever a question of clicking, it’s how long it stays clicked.
Agree it seems like lately we go off the rails about 2/3 into the season whether due to injury or bad vibes or whatever. No way we should’ve lost to Saint Pete. That said I think had we’ve been 100% healthy we would’ve smashed them and never looked back.

Reactions: CELTICAT
I think they're too slight. (Except for Oscar) What I've seen is other teams push them around. That's why (I think) Calipari spoke about getting Livingston on the court. They're whippets, much less muscular than previous Calipari teams. His Memphis team that went to the finals looked like football players. That shows up, obviously, when we're playing defense, but on offense, our guys don't cut as sharply as previous teams: they can be stalled with little effort. It'll be interesting to see how they evolve to compensate.

I mean we’ve gone from guys like Wall, Knight, and Fox to…..

A 5’9 Georgia PG who only has one tool.

We’re not going anywhere Calipari could barely produce with the best of the best.

Glad you aren't dead or in prison Grom.

I agree that we aren't winning anything that matters. Calipari doesn't know how to play the best lineups. Wheeler is a bench guy. I'd start Wallace, reeves, Frederick, Livingston and Oscar and Wheeler and toppin and ugona and thiero off bench.

To be honest, it not about this team, it a about cal. This team would be undefeated and number one in the nation with a K or Pitino type coach. Even if they start "clicking" cal will unclick them by destroying the chemistry or confidence or something. The past 4 years is about cal clicking, not the team. So to answer your question, cal wont let us click.

Define clicking.
When we watch now, it is obviously disjointed. Maybe another word people use is gelling. When we go into a game knowing we not only have a chance, but a good chance of winning against a good team. The identity or continuity of this team isn't there yet, and I'd say a lot of that has to do with the strange lineups we've seen out there. I'd define clicking as you know the team has settled into their roles and looks more comfortable in them, and more confident as a cohesive unit.

Don't think we'll know a whole lot until we get into the SEC...

Cal needs to quit tinkering with crap lineups and substitution patterns...he has our chemistry in chaos.

This.

Once the lineups calm down, the team will start to click.

This includes the contingency that Cal begins to see what we all see: Livingston is not a 3, and Collins is not a 4.

It's impossible to have a rational discussion right now on this board. It's pointless. Everything just devolves into "Cal is an idiot! Cal can't coach! Cal will just screw it up." It becomes no real discussion, just another gripe thread. But I'll give you an opinion...

I agree that this team is not what I thought it was back in the Bahamas. Once I saw what Reeves could bring and then with the way Toppin was playing and even Collins, I thought this team could be dominant, one of the best in the nation. I will say, the early injuries to Oscar and Wheeler hurt the early development. Having heard Calipari talk about how the team really doesn't put in offense in the Bahamas, it makes more sense. They were just playing man to man defense and running a couple sets on offense. Anyways, I think that's part of the problem. For Collins, the death of his father seems to have set him back significantly. He was playing with confidence and aggression in Bahamas but we haven't seen that yet.

But there is something else here that I didn't see coming. Reeves doesn't seem to deal well with physicality. And he also has backed off under pressure. He showed against Michigan that he can step up, though, so maybe he has turned a corner. Fredrick has also struggled against more athletic teams. I'm not sure that will change.

As for Toppin, he showed some signs against Michigan that he is ready to step up. Before that, he was backing down under pressure and disappeared in the big games, vs Mich St and Gonzaga. He must be a consistent player for this team to be what we thought.

I think we're still waiting on some guys- Fredrick, Collins, and Livingston- to become what we need them to be. We have seen some flashes from Onyenso which i didn't expect and could be a good addition.

The best news we've seen so far is from Cason Wallace. We knew he could become a great player as he progressed this season, and he has shown that he may be ahead of schedule.

So, what's next? I'm not sure. We need these guys who have been timid at times to step forward and be what they have the potential to be. Namely, Toppin and Reeves MUST be consistent threats every game out. We need Wallace to continue his production. We need Oscar to be Oscar. We need Wheeler to be more steady. We need Fredrick to get open and make shots.

Yale will be a challenge because of their style, which mirrors Bellarmine and Mich State. That will tell us if we're ready to step forward or not. And the next high pressure game will be UCLA at MSG. That game will tell us if we are ready for the pressure of a big game and atmosphere. The Michigan game was a step in the right direction but was still lacking consistency. Too many turnovers and dumb mistakes, too many missed free throws under pressure.

I think we will get there eventually. We're gonna have some more growing pains. I just hope we can win while growing. When we hit conference play, we'll need to take more steps ahead. I guess we'll see.

It's impossible to have a rational discussion right now on this board. It's pointless. Everything just devolves into "Cal is an idiot! Cal can't coach! Cal will just screw it up." It becomes no real discussion, just another gripe thread. But I'll give you an opinion...

I agree that this team is not what I thought it was back in the Bahamas. Once I saw what Reeves could bring and then with the way Toppin was playing and even Collins, I thought this team could be dominant, one of the best in the nation. I will say, the early injuries to Oscar and Wheeler hurt the early development. Having heard Calipari talk about how the team really doesn't put in offense in the Bahamas, it makes more sense. They were just playing man to man defense and running a couple sets on offense. Anyways, I think that's part of the problem. For Collins, the death of his father seems to have set him back significantly. He was playing with confidence and aggression in Bahamas but we haven't seen that yet.

But there is something else here that I didn't see coming. Reeves doesn't seem to deal well with physicality. And he also has backed off under pressure. He showed against Michigan that he can step up, though, so maybe he has turned a corner. Fredrick has also struggled against more athletic teams. I'm not sure that will change.

As for Toppin, he showed some signs against Michigan that he is ready to step up. Before that, he was backing down under pressure and disappeared in the big games, vs Mich St and Gonzaga. He must be a consistent player for this team to be what we thought.

I think we're still waiting on some guys- Fredrick, Collins, and Livingston- to become what we need them to be. We have seen some flashes from Onyenso which i didn't expect and could be a good addition.

The best news we've seen so far is from Cason Wallace. We knew he could become a great player as he progressed this season, and he has shown that he may be ahead of schedule.

So, what's next? I'm not sure. We need these guys who have been timid at times to step forward and be what they have the potential to be. Namely, Toppin and Reeves MUST be consistent threats every game out. We need Wallace to continue his production. We need Oscar to be Oscar. We need Wheeler to be more steady. We need Fredrick to get open and make shots.

Yale will be a challenge because of their style, which mirrors Bellarmine and Mich State. That will tell us if we're ready to step forward or not. And the next high pressure game will be UCLA at MSG. That game will tell us if we are ready for the pressure of a big game and atmosphere. The Michigan game was a step in the right direction but was still lacking consistency. Too many turnovers and dumb mistakes, too many missed free throws under pressure.

I think we will get there eventually. We're gonna have some more growing pains. I just hope we can win while growing. When we hit conference play, we'll need to take more steps ahead. I guess we'll see.
Good thoughts here. We have to remember, Kellan Grady was still trying to find his footing a bit this time last year before he really became a consistent threat. I do think it is still early. As you said, hopefully we can win games while learning. Confidence is always key. Winning the next two would go a long way for the team's mindset moving forward. As always, winning cures all.

Just my opinion, but I think we all need to stop putting stock into the Bahama games. It’s low level competition with the main priority to get some reps in and not get anyone hurt. It’s almost one of those things that I wish wasn’t televised, because then we all get crazy from it haha

I think it all comes down to line ups and rotations. There will be games/situations where certain guys will excel and times they will look lost. It’s up to the staff to have the right pieces playing based on the opponent. Will that happen? I’m not sure, but there’s times certain guys just need to be on the bench. If feelings are hurt, so be it.

UCLA will be a good test to see what direction we can expect come SEC play. I feel the road is going be tough in league play, so got to win the games at Rupp and maybe sneak out with a couple of unexpected road wins. Really need to beat KU at Rupp, too.

Frankly, I have no idea what this team will look like come March. I do think the pieces are there, but will they all come together to put a run in? Time will tell, and we’re all going have to take it one game at a time.

This team has a talent issue. It just does.

I actually don't mind Wheeler's minutes, but that is because he is a top 5 player on the team. The issue is that Wheeler should not be a top 5 player on Kentucky. The only 2 Kentucky caliber guys on this roster are Oscar and Cason.

We are talented enough to win 20 games, finish 3rd-5th in a loaded SEC, and maybe make the 2nd weekend of March if the stars align. That isn't what the standard should be for us.

I actually don't mind Wheeler's minutes, but that is because he is a top 5 player on the team. The issue is that Wheeler should not be a top 5 player on Kentucky. The only 2 Kentucky caliber guys on this roster are Oscar and Cason.

We are talented enough to win 20 games, finish 3rd-5th in a loaded SEC, and maybe make the 2nd weekend of March if the stars align. That isn't what the standard should be for us.
I take it you mean gold standard. I mean, that’s us, right? More like gold plated.

Wheeler has to play 10-15 minutes a game for us to win anything.
Yep. No way can he play 30+ minutes a game and us expect to win anything significant. He’s just not a high basketball IQ PG. He doesn’t control the flow and pace of the game very well. He struggles with finishing at the rim, outside shooting and doing anything whatsoever in crunch time. He’s a bonehead mistake waiting for a place to happen.

You may be right. The cream will rise to the top if it's there. I personally don't think it's a lack of talent. I think so far it's been a lack of confidence and execution. If I'm right, this team can push through and become what I think they are. If you're right, sweet 16 is the peak.

Im not sure what you mean by its impossible to have a rational discussion on this board. Cal is the coach and this teams lack to perform is on him to a great degree. Why is it irrational to discuss that?
The style of play in the Bahamas was detrimental to the team. They didn't run plays and didn't really defend, it was streetball. They got it in their minds that they HAD arrived and could score 107 points anytime they wanted. Cal should have known that these teams were equivalent to high school teams. When they curb stomped those teams they should have been told these teams were like playing a womens NCAA team. Instead of playing streetball he should have actually worked on running plays, running a few out of bounds plays and teaching how to play a zone. We don't run any of that now and cals excuse is that we haven't had time to practice as a team yet. That's just BS. He Actually said that Oscar didn't KNOW the plays, and we let him get away with that totally irrational statement go as IF IT WAS TRUE..

Toppin an Collins are just what they were a year ago. Ill admit that Collins could have had a setback because of the loss of his dad, but significantly! When was he significantly better than he now?? never.

Oscar and Wheeler had time for early development IN THE BAHAMAS but they played streetball rather than learning anything, That's on cal. And why did they even need early development, there both upper classmen , they should be teaching the younger guys,

When did these guys and specifically Reeves become physical to weak? Cal see them every day and cal knows what his teams looked like in Memphis. Why did he recruit physically inferior players and why didnt make sure they became physically superior players ?

I also think there is something different about Oscar. I think Cal talk has effected his thinking. Watch Oscar closely. last year he never looked at the refs or looked at the bench holding his hands out like he was fouled. he's a second or two slower because he's complaining in ways that he didnt last year. This is subtle.. it not every time but quite a few times. he's actually celebrated after a score rather than getting back like he did last year. In not saying Oscars a problem but he's definitely not as dominate as he was last year.

Fredrick, Collins, and Livingston are not going to become what they need to be on their own, that's what coaches do, make players better. That's what RP did with Woods, Phephery, Farmer, and Feldhaus. Cal cant develop a 5 star guy while RP was developing 2 and 3 star guys and winning with them.

These guys should be ready for the big games from the get go. They have already been in the bubble for several years before coming to UK. And once you sign up with UK the coaches should have them ready for big time pressure before they ever walk out on the court. We are playing YALE next, YALE ! and your thinking that should be challenge for us. I don't care what style of play they bring they should NOT be a challenge for any UK. We should be able beat any 21st century Yale team by digging up the 1942 UK team and letting them play. Michigan is not a prime time team. they are in a p5 conference but they are not a high quality team. We could have easily lost to them had we not hit an abnormal amount of 3's. We miss on 4 of them we lose that game. Any team can get hot and hit a lot of threes, hitting a lot of threes consistently is another thing

We always think they will get there eventually, problem is they don't. Its not the teams fault. If they are underachieving Cal should be able to detect every issue and fix them. The great coaches always do.

It depends on if Cal keeps screwing up the lineups.Collins just can't play meaningful minutes this season because he's still too skinny and has zero offensive skills.Also Ware doesn't need to ever play.Ugonna needs those minutes to get him ready to help in March.Wheeler needs to be the sparkplug off the bench,Livingston and Toppin need to split minutes at the 4.Toppin seems to be playing for the NBA instead of the team so far.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Im not sure what you mean by its impossible to have a rational discussion on this board. Cal is the coach and this teams lack to perform is on him to a great degree. Why is it irrational to discuss that?
The style of play in the Bahamas was detrimental to the team. They didn't run plays and didn't really defend, it was streetball. They got it in their minds that they HAD arrived and could score 107 points anytime they wanted. Cal should have known that these teams were equivalent to high school teams. When they curb stomped those teams they should have been told these teams were like playing a womens NCAA team. Instead of playing streetball he should have actually worked on running plays, running a few out of bounds plays and teaching how to play a zone. We don't run any of that now and cals excuse is that we haven't had time to practice as a team yet. That's just BS. He Actually said that Oscar didn't KNOW the plays, and we let him get away with that totally irrational statement go as IF IT WAS TRUE..

Toppin an Collins are just what they were a year ago. Ill admit that Collins could have had a setback because of the loss of his dad, but significantly! When was he significantly better than he now?? never.

Oscar and Wheeler had time for early development IN THE BAHAMAS but they played streetball rather than learning anything, That's on cal. And why did they even need early development, there both upper classmen , they should be teaching the younger guys,

When did these guys and specifically Reeves become physical to weak? Cal see them every day and cal knows what his teams looked like in Memphis. Why did he recruit physically inferior players and why didnt make sure they became physically superior players ?

I also think there is something different about Oscar. I think Cal talk has effected his thinking. Watch Oscar closely. last year he never looked at the refs or looked at the bench holding his hands out like he was fouled. he's a second or two slower because he's complaining in ways that he didnt last year. This is subtle.. it not every time but quite a few times. he's actually celebrated after a score rather than getting back like he did last year. In not saying Oscars a problem but he's definitely not as dominate as he was last year.

Fredrick, Collins, and Livingston are not going to become what they need to be on their own, that's what coaches do, make players better. That's what RP did with Woods, Phephery, Farmer, and Feldhaus. Cal cant develop a 5 star guy while RP was developing 2 and 3 star guys and winning with them.

These guys should be ready for the big games from the get go. They have already been in the bubble for several years before coming to UK. And once you sign up with UK the coaches should have them ready for big time pressure before they ever walk out on the court. We are playing YALE next, YALE ! and your thinking that should be challenge for us. I don't care what style of play they bring they should NOT be a challenge for any UK. We should be able beat any 21st century Yale team by digging up the 1942 UK team and letting them play. Michigan is not a prime time team. they are in a p5 conference but they are not a high quality team. We could have easily lost to them had we not hit an abnormal amount of 3's. We miss on 4 of them we lose that game. Any team can get hot and hit a lot of threes, hitting a lot of threes consistently is another thing

We always think they will get there eventually, problem is they don't. Its not the teams fault. If they are underachieving Cal should be able to detect every issue and fix them. The great coaches always do.
Thanks for illustrating my point. You've just offered nothing helpful, productive, or even the slightest hint of hope. Just a gripe session, which is exactly why I said what I said above. You might as well just find another team to support this season or take up a hobby. Are you hoping for losses to confirm your bias or will you be pleased if the team surprises you?

Oh, well that could change things.. but I think it's very difficult to get everything in order and try and land on a team with playing time available. These players would have to be planning this as we speak.. and while I do think some will be unhappy with their playing time.. I dont think we've hit that point yet.

I guess it's possible though.. hopefully Adou gets PT..
I really like that kid. He plays like MKG, full bore. I think he may end up being a star.

Reactions: BlueThunderstruck
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT