ADVERTISEMENT

Direct Tv Now- Hulu Plus

Blue Bleeding Marine

Senior
Gold Member
Sep 13, 2006
Cutting the cord, bought an antenna for local channels, a roku for the kid's room. Have a firestick with the kodi in the living room and wondering which would be better, Hulu or DTV Now?

Depends what you want to watch. Not sure if DTV Now has fixed their absurd policy of only 2 devices at one time or not, but that kept me from going that route. I'm using PS Vue and couldn't be happier.

Out of curiosity how much would you pay a month for your setup? I'm paying 75 a month with tax for Dish with like a bazillion channels and DVR and HBO but just curious how much I would save if I cut the cord?

I have Comcast TV/Internet and we max out with three tv's streaming/gaming and everyones phones on wifi.

I tried Sling a year ago. It worked fine, but didn't have local channels or dvr at the time.

I just finished the DirectvNow trial. It buffers, doesn't have a dvr and two of my four locals weren't there. I'm ok with the Guide though.

Hulu is pretty good. It never buffers, has all of my locals and has a cloud dvr. If I know what I want to watch, it's there. They just need a better menu so I can see what's coming up and so I don't have to scroll through 50 channels.

Joey recommended Youtube a while back, so that's next. I didn't know they had a service until then.

I'm still waiting for Amazon or Netflix to get in the game.

I pay $35 a month and have hbo included because I was an early adopter of DirecTV Now, they even have all the locals for Lexington. No DVR yet though.

I've had SlingTV, PS Vue, DirecTV Now and Hulu Live TV (current) at some point over the last two years. Honestly none are perfect, but Hulu fits my needs. $40/month. Lexington locals so no need for for the antenna and 50 hours of DVR included, and an option to pay extra for up to 200 hour DVR storage.

I will say I liked the guide setup the best on DirecTV Now. Most traditional looking channel guide out of them all. And I believe they are currently beta testing DVR so it may be an option with them sooner than later.

Hulu does give you a discount on the streaming service through them as well. so my total Hulu bill is $46 for live tv and the no commercial streaming option.

Total for Hulu streaming and tv/w locals, netflix and 100mbps internet totals me right at $100/month.

I guess i enjoy getting bent over. Spectrum with 3 HD boxes, HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax as well as the sports channels. $134 for all, including taxes and fees. Are you people including the cost of internet in these great deals ?

Oh well, i do not have to worry about missing games, buffering, and if i can not watch something live, i can DVR it or On Demand it. Small price, but i will spend some of my extry hard earned income for the simple things in life.

Oh well, i do not have to worry about missing games, buffering, and if i can not watch something live, i can DVR it or On Demand it. Small price, but i will spend some of my extry hard earned income for the simple things in life.

:rolleyes:

Been saying extry while you where still shitting yellow. TRUST me, i did not steal it from GYERO. I know it is used by the famous one there, but I have said it for years, my country ass kin folk do not know anything different.

I guess i enjoy getting bent over. Spectrum with 3 HD boxes, HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax as well as the sports channels. $134 for all, including taxes and fees. Are you people including the cost of internet in these great deals ?

I have a feeling that Spectrum price won't last for long.. you'll need to negotiate, and historically, that's not easy. You'll threaten to leave and they'll say "Ok, where are you gonna go?"

Showtime and Cinemax are throw away. They have some original programming, but everything else is useless. WHo even needs DVR anymore when you have an infinite library.

$45 - 60mb Internet
$45 - For any 3 streaming services you prefer.
$45 (one time) - Amazon Stick/Roku and HD antenna. Do that Kodi thing.

Save $45/month from the 2nd month and on.

Reactions: JDHoss
Time Warner was the best internet speed I ever had. Hated their constant prices going up but I had no choice while I served in the military. Could not beat the no contract deal they had because you could deploy, TDY or PCS at anytime and for awhile when living on base, it was the only service offered. Now that I am retired, I can enjoy Directv. Could never figure out streaming on mobile devices or laptops with Directv online.

I haven't converted to being a cord cutter yet. In the future, if the lag time catches up to the speed of Live TV I will do so. My internet now with AT&T is not very good because Fiber is not offered in my area. Many others in the area where Fiber internet services with AT&T are offered have a greater experience. I have 3 family members that work for AT&T and say I have the fastest possible for where I live. However, right across the road where they are building new subdivisions have Fiber being installed in the houses. One of those family members lives in the house so we get a discounted service on internet & Directv because they are an employee. I had Charter once too. They were good, cable companies have usually been better internet in my experiences. People usually have had some bad experiences with their's at Charter/Time Warner. Other than the prices, the quality of service I've had has been ok.

Last edited:
TNT and TBS just popped up on Youtube TV today. Apparently, they'll have all the Turner channels in time for March Madness and will increase the price to $40/month March 13th. If you get in before then it's only $35/month.

Btw, I just switched from Apple TV to Roku and Roku has better picture quality and features.

Don't need a review comparison, I have an Apple TV, Roku TV, and Fire TV. Apple's TV app and system wide TV login blows anything else out the water as far as functionality.

Reactions: Joey Rupption
Don't need a review comparison, I have an Apple TV, Roku TV, and Fire TV. Apple's TV app and system wide TV login blows anything else out the water as far as functionality.
If you value that then I understand why you like apple better. For me, the picture quality is most important and it's best on Roku for my 5 mps internet.

I have 100MB Internet, it’s flawless on my AppleTV 4K and my Roku.

Netflix used to always be better on AppleTV because they recognized Apple customers as “premium” influencers with high standards and would pay for better CDN distribution to Apple devices from Verizon, Comcast, etc. I can’t believe that’s changed to Roku. More than likely Apple has just left the slow internet market behind.

I got a free apple tv when I signed up with direct tv now and it sucks ass. By far the worst interface and remote out of them, roku, and fire tv.

I don't really consider myself a cord cutter because I have direct tv now. I signed with them when they first started and got free HBO and a free apple tv to go along with the 70 dollar package for 35 that I get to keep as long as I stick with them.

It's been just ok. there is some buffering and I miss the pause/fast forward/rewind feature of my old dtv box, I get any cable channel you could want plus all the locals except NBC, so I had to add on the locals to my spectrum account which I stream with their app.

I like roku the best out of the ones I've tried, but I'm curious about psvue and YouTube

Also if you have AT&T wireless phone service you can stream directv now on your phone anywhere and it won't count towards your data

Last edited:
Reactions: UKMKG
Ready to renegotiate my next year of DirecTV and I'm sure this has been made possible by cord cutting. I likely won't ever be ready to switch unless I could get a combination of DVR, kids and sports programming that match what I have. But there is no doubt I waste the vast majority of channels I pay for.

Likely going to switch from PS Vue to YouTube TV now that it's available in Lexington. Started my 7 day trial yesterday to lock in the $35/month price. So far so good. Hopefully they get registered as a provider for the March Madness app soon. I chatted with them this morning and they said it's coming, they just don't know when. :rolleyes: I tried to sarcastically say that March Madness only happens during a specific month of the year... She wouldn't completely commit to saying it will be available this year. We'll see.

By the time all you fags get done cutting the cord, my Dish will be the best/cheapest option available. There will be some new term for going back to what you had before.

Have fun searching for something that doesn't suck. Looks easy since everyone in here has tried 4 different methods to cut the cord.

Downloaded YoutubeTV. I’m not too picky so I’d say it’s good enough. I’m about to drop the spectrum bundle. I do worry about not having a landline with little kids and how they’d call 911. Are there carriers in Ky that keep a soft connection on disconnected landlines?

Signed up with Youtube TV last week and turned in my cable box yesterday. Was paying $175 a month for cable and basic internet, and Spectrum wouldn't work with me on lowering it. So I ended up upgrading to the 100/MB internet and dropped cable altogether, and in the process lowered my bill by 70 bucks.

The quality of Youtube TV is on fleek.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT