ADVERTISEMENT

Direct tv issues

I’m actually shocked people still use Direct TV. What’s the benefit of it over streaming? I’m assuming some people might not have access to high speed internet.
People have their reasons. For one, Bally Sports. Not going to miss watching my Cincinnati Reds. Two, I care for my older parents in my house and teaching them how to use all of the different streaming devices and apps. It is a challenge to them so keeping a regular remote around is so much simpler for us all. Three, I have yet to find a streaming platform with as precise RW/FW functions as the Directv remotes have that don't go back too far in the action, which is especially helpful during live sports. Four, don't have to deal with the lagging of internet speed like I do when watching Peacock, etc. Five, by the time I bundle different services to get all of the channels I want, already paying over $100 to accommodate all of this. Easier to keep Directv for $130, 4 boxes and have all of my channels in one place.

Reactions: Ugoff and bthaunert
If anybody wants to switch to YTTV, I'll send you my referral link, sign up and we both save extra money the first month.

I understand DTV for those who live in a rural area or have slow internet. That is my parents. They don't have other options. Or if you want to watch Bally Channels (get it); I just don't watch regular season baseball.

But if you live anywhere near a major city and have good internet, YTTV is the way to go. It is basically half the price of DTV (especially the first year). I had DTV for 13 years, and every year I would call and haggle the price, until it came to a point they had no more deals, and didn't try to get me when I canceled. I was paying $150ish without any monthly discounts.

So it is not for everybody, but I would think YTTV is better for most people over DTV.

Reactions: baseball is life
So I just turned on espn and see no channel, sec channel as well…anyone else?
You are allowed to suspend it twice a year. I called and suspended mine and picked up YouTube TV for a month. I’ll cancel YouTube TV a day before they bill me for another month and then turn DTV back on. Surely they’ll have it resolved in a month or much sooner. I’ll do 1 month regardless so I don’t get billed for two services in the same month..

You are allowed to suspend it twice a year. I called and suspended mine and picked up YouTube TV for a month. I’ll cancel YouTube TV a day before they bill me for another month and then turn DTV back on. Surely they’ll have it resolved in a month or much sooner. I’ll do 1 month regardless so I don’t get billed for two services in the same month..
That’s some confusing racket but you do you

Huh??? You make a quick call to DTV, turn the service off for a month and get YouTube TV for that month. The whole process took 5 minutes and I’m watching Tennis now. It’s only confusing if a person Is dumber than dirt.
Well I’ve never done direct tv and I maybe dumber than shit but not dirt girlfriend

I use it because I have a receiver in another room. I have to stream through a firestick hooked up to the receiver and by doing that I can’t get the same picture that my TV gives and have use fire tv’s picture which is awful compared to my Samsung HDTV. My DTV box is connected thru a CAT5 in the wall that goes to the reciever so the picture is perfect. I’d have to tear up the walls again and run a HDMI cable from the TV to the receiver to get the good TV picture through streaming. May end up doing it as DTV is way too expensive. ($212).
That sounds like a lot. Why can’t you just connect a Roku box to your TV with an HDMI cord and watch YouTubeTV that way? Or if you have a smart TV, just hook it up to your wireless and get YouTubeTV?

Reactions: baseball is life
Then you were paying for ESPN somewhere else.
It specifically asked me if I wanted to use my directv account or ESPN+ account to watch the game when I selected the game to watch. I knew I could watch with directv so I made a point to try the ESPN + account. Granted it was last year when I did it but I can’t imagine I still won’t have that same option this year.

It specifically asked me if I wanted to use my directv account or ESPN+ account to watch the game when I selected the game to watch. I knew I could watch with directv so I made a point to try the ESPN + account. Granted it was last year when I did it but I can’t imagine I still won’t have that same option this year.
My point exactly. You had a Direct TV account. And the app knew that. That's why you could watch it. Without that, you couldn't. I'm 100% positive on that.

My point exactly. You had a Direct TV account. And the app knew that. That's why you could watch it. Without that, you couldn't. I'm 100% positive on that.
It let me choose which one to log in with and watch the game. I have watched them using just the ESPN + account. I fully admit that maybe it has changed but I know I have done it in the past. Maybe due to a glitch or some other reason.

I switched a few years ago and I wish I would have sooner. It's just like watching cable or satellite TV in the way it displays at a fraction of the cost.
Went to YoutubeTV 5 years ago after being a loyal Directv customer for close to 15 years, best choice I've made with my streaming options so far.

A lot of bad information here. ESPN+ on it's own without some other paid ESPN account will not let you watch the UK games that are on ESPN/ESPN2/SEC Network.

This is from the first FAQ on the below link:
An ESPN+ subscription does not give you access to stream ESPN’s traditional TV networks or the content on them. To stream those networks, you need a television subscription through a cable, satellite or digital provider.

The FAQs are way at the bottom: https://plus.espn.com/

You have HD antenna, can watch ABC from Free.
I have YouTube TV, no issues for me.

To the one poster who said he lived close to Nashville and only got CBS, place the HD antenna as high up as possible and facing toward Nashville. I live in Bowling Green (60miles north of Nashville), I had a $18 HD antenna and got Nashville CBS, and several other stations. Even got Stadium TV (watched WKU games on it a few years ago). In total, I got around 23-24 channels with it. It is all in the placement of the antenna and weather / cloud cover it seems. Some days News Channel 5 (CBS) would not come in all the time, I would move the antenna higher up the wall (had antenna in my garage only), and moved the placement of the antenna until the channel came in clearer.

I have YouTube TV, no issues for me.

To the one poster who said he lived close to Nashville and only got CBS, place the HD antenna as high up as possible and facing toward Nashville. I live in Bowling Green (60miles north of Nashville), I had a $18 HD antenna and got Nashville CBS, and several other stations. Even got Stadium TV (watched WKU games on it a few years ago). In total, I got around 23-24 channels with it. It is all in the placement of the antenna and weather / cloud cover it seems. Some days News Channel 5 (CBS) would not come in all the time, I would move the antenna higher up the wall (had antenna in my garage only), and moved the placement of the antenna until the channel came in clearer.
There are some great HD antenna out there with 150 mile range. I was able to pick up Cincinnati Stations in Winchester KY. They should be able to get the right thing on Amazon and be ready for the ball game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT