ADVERTISEMENT

Definitely more of a talent problem than coaching problem.

Cal has two approaches.

(1) Guys beating their man off the dribble (who on this team can do that? Besides Wheeler at times.)

(2) Back to the basket 5 down low and run the O thru him. Has worked a good bit with Oscar

Cal has decided to forego the transition game for the deliberate O. This roster is woeful for that.

He wants to play basically 5 guys with Reeves getting some minutes.

Wallace, Wheeler, Toppin, Livingston and Oscar. Just not enough offensive firepower there.
You saw what happened today when Cason was cold. (And on the bench with fouls)

Toppin and Livingston cannot be depended on. Wheeler was mostly hit today but is really hit and miss.

It isn’t going to work. It cannot work. Wallace and Livingston are frosh and Toppin has never been consistent.

When they make some shots in the deliberate O they can hang like they did against LSU. But that’s it. Just very little margin for error.

Announcers said today, Cal was saying this is the best team in the SEC. Anybody buying that?

Reactions: CrimsonCats
And there is a coaching problem to be sure, but this team lacks the skills and readiness to contributor at a high level. And the best okayers have major limitations . There ate at least 6-7 SEC teams with better rosters.
You're right. It's no excuse, of course, but it is true. Cal put the roster together, so he's ultimately responsible. But as for this particular season and this particular team, they aren't what we thought they were back in August. Man, I thought this team would compete for a title. Clearly, I was dead wrong.

Alabama is good and I've been saying I expected a loss, but not like this. This team lacks alpha dog players- guys who want the ball and can make a play. We have a bunch of guys who can make wide open shots and play when there is no pressure, but they all wilt when the heat is on. I'm not sure if that can be fixed soon enough to salvage this season. The only guy who seems willing to make a play is the guy we don't want with the ball when the clock is ticking down- Wheeler. The rest of these guys defer, defer, defer. They run from the ball. They hide.

And the other thing I've noticed particularly about this 22-23 team- when their offense isn't clicking, their defense also wilts. Some teams will make up for their offense by playing great D, but this group hangs their heads on d when their shots aren't falling. So, a small deficit turns into a blowout. We saw it vs Gonazaga, Missouri, and now Alabama. And we'll likely see it vs Tennessee next week. They're licking their chops right now, guaranteed.

NIT is looking likely to me at this point. Hard to believe, but that's where we are. I've seen very little reason to believe this group can be consistent enough to beat good teams. And road games, even against weak or mediocre teams, will likely be an adventure. Truth is, after Missouri and today, I don't see any easy wins anywhere, unless something changes dramatically.

I'm thinking it will probably take winning a couple of games in the SEC Tournament to get UK to 20 wins. Would 20-14 get UK in?

I agree with the OP - how can players be at UK and cannot dribble pass or shoot?
Ware - Collins - Livingston- Ugonna -
Roster is crap and he’s a pitiful Coach to boot
Bad combination

I don't think its a talent problem, its a talent development problem.

This is fixable, but it means Cal bringing in someone that can modernize the offense and turn that over to him.

I'm guessing his ego would never allow that, we've all seen how he shuts down Chin during the game.

Reactions: Ky_Bred_Cat
I still can’t make sense of the games played in the bahamas. was the competition that bad to make this team look so good as they looked over there? i really thought this team was going to be special after watching them there.

Reactions: TankedCat
If that was the case Bryce Hopkins wouldn't be killing at Providence. The fact that Hopkins is killing it at Providence proves its a coaching problem.
Or Juzang at UCLA, Green at Washington, Wiltjer at Gonzaga....

Reactions: Farsight
National player of the year, like 4 5 star recruits and he needs more talent. SMH, they will always make excuses for his pathetic offense which has always been the problem. 24 points at halftime and it’s not the offense, it’s talent. Get out of here!
I don't think it's the players they're just intimidated by Cal's coaching style and hollering at them. To prove my point just look at players that have left, and how well they done somewhere else. The kid that left last year can't remember his name well he couldn't get off the bench here now he's a major contributor for Providence...

Reactions: ukjenning44
I still can’t make sense of the games played in the bahamas. was the competition that bad to make this team look so good as they looked over there? i really thought this team was going to be special after watching them there.
A big part of this "as much talent as anyone" perception. The atmosphere down there was relaxed, mediocre competition, not physical, small gym....nothing like real action.

That’s when guys were playing free before Cal installed his crippling offense.

And there is a coaching problem to be sure, but this team lacks the skills and readiness to contributor at a high level. And the best okayers have major limitations . There ate at least 6-7 SEC teams with better rosters.
Username makes sense

I have wondered on several occasions in last 5 years, does Cal ever give any consideration to whether a kid fits his style of play when he recruits him.We have had so many mismatched players for Cals style, I can't believe he does

I think there is plenty enough talent to be a great team.

They just stand around and dribble the air out of the ball.

They rarely pass and share which opens up shots in rhythm.

Lazy on defense

All fixable but the staff isn’t putting them in positions to be successful.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT