ADVERTISEMENT

Defense?

No phase of game is more athletically dependent.
I don't know important it is to him. But will improve dramatically with Kentucky talent
Bingo. We’ll see if he can blend enough athleticism in while not completely sacrificing his offensive system. We can’t only recruit shooters like a mid major. You have to put dudes on the floor that have the size and athleticism to defend their position at the high D1 level. Oats Bama teams and Wrights elite anova teams are the modern model.

Bingo. We’ll see if he can blend enough athleticism in while not completely sacrificing his offensive system. We can’t only recruit shooters like a mid major. You have to put dudes on the floor that have the size and athleticism to defend their position at the high D1 level. Oats Bama teams and Wrights elite anova teams are the modern model.
At least this 👍

Reactions: EliteBlue
I've been watching BYU film. In their upset of Baylor, they ran a mixture of 2-3 zone, 2-1-2 zone, and straight man.

Zone looked like their best defense, which is not surprising given the discrepancy in athleticism. Not a knock on BYU's guys. Just is what it is. Their man D was a liability in that game, but it did allow them to disrupt passes and create turnovers.

Baylor guards regularly created their own shots when faced with man. The Bears also bullied Khalifa the entire game. Baylor was a good team this year, so do with that info what you will.

This game is just one sample from an entire season, but I think Pope's defensive system at BYU would've been top 25 with UK-caliber players. BYU guys just didn't have that much twitch or speed. They had trouble closing the gap on shots. That said, they were disciplined on defense and were good at anticipating passing lanes. High IQ, which falls in line with what we've been told about Pope. Overall, I'm happy with what I saw and how it could translate to Kentucky.

Reactions: WebCatKy
I've been watching BYU film. In their upset of Baylor, they ran a mixture of 2-3 zone, 2-1-2 zone, and straight man.

Zone looked like their best defense, which is not surprising given the discrepancy in athleticism. Not a knock on BYU's guys. Just is what it is. Their man D was a liability in that game, but it did allow them to disrupt passes and create turnovers.

Baylor guards regularly created their own shots when faced with man. The Bears also bullied Khalifa the entire game. Baylor was a good team this year, so do with that info what you will.

This game is just one sample from an entire season, but I think Pope's defensive system at BYU would've been top 25 with UK-caliber players. BYU guys just didn't have that much twitch or speed. They had trouble closing the gap on shots. That said, they were disciplined on defense and were good at anticipating passing lanes. High IQ, which falls in line with what we've been told about Pope. Overall, I'm happy with what I saw and how it could translate to Kentucky.
I see a lot of excitement. I'm not trying to be negative, but unless pope changes his approach and get's more athletic, bigger,stronger,these fans around here will have a rude awakening!

I see a lot of excitement. I'm not trying to be negative, but unless pope changes his approach and get's more athletic, bigger,stronger,these fans around here will have a rude awakening!
If you ain't trying to be negative, you're just a natural. Just takes one click to see your game.

Reactions: Jack2936

Again, it’s BYU. Here’s what the tools are to recruit there and what players have to sign up for

1. Be Mormon
2. Multiple years of door knocking (literally)
3. No sex campus. Girls don’t like basketball players
4. No caffeine (literally)
5. No no alcohol (obviously)

I’m not sure if you know this, but Pope is aware none of that translates to Kentucky. Also not sure if you know this but that list doesn’t translate to things like the defensive numbers you want to see.

Just just imagine that this guy took that and had BYU a top 25 program in college basketball. A defensive efficiency anywhere near top 100 with that structure is mind blowing. He went into Kansas and beat them while having that list as a recruiting tool.

Yes I’d say he will be able to elevate it here given that players can at least drink Pepsi and fraternize with co-Ed’s. I’d improve all the numbers by half easily.

Reactions: K86 and ukfan1622
Mark Pope as a player was intense, focused, prepared, balls to the wall hustle. I would expect Mark Pope as a coach to be similar.
He was also one of the more intelligent players and he is one of the more intelligent coaches. I might be wrong but I think that helps when it comes to strategy and planning.

Reactions: mrschwump
Again, it’s BYU. Here’s what the tools are to recruit there and what players have to sign up for

1. Be Mormon
2. Multiple years of door knocking (literally)
3. No sex campus. Girls don’t like basketball players
4. No caffeine (literally)
5. No no alcohol (obviously)

I’m not sure if you know this, but Pope is aware none of that translates to Kentucky. Also not sure if you know this but that list doesn’t translate to things like the defensive numbers you want to see.

Just just imagine that this guy took that and had BYU a top 25 program in college basketball. A defensive efficiency anywhere near top 100 with that structure is mind blowing. He went into Kansas and beat them while having that list as a recruiting tool.

Yes I’d say he will be able to elevate it here given that players can at least drink Pepsi and fraternize with co-Ed’s. I’d improve all the numbers by half easily.

He is really answering the question I had about his approach. He went and got some studs on the defensive end! Physical,tough,rebounders, fighters! I know some are worried about the offensive end, but I'm not as concerned about that. I really think his system will compliment these guy's more then Cal's dribble drive. Cal had to have elite talent to be effective offensively, but pope IMO will get his guys shot's that they are good at.
P.S. I do think he needs 1 guy that can get you a bucket when things break down!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT