ADVERTISEMENT

Defense By Committee

Sep 10, 2019
Stoops lost arguably the program’s best pass rusher and a generational talent in Josh Allen, but the team managed to produce the same amount of sacks as the year prior.

In the secondary, Stoops lost his top five players from last year and then lost his best and most experienced defensive back to a preseason injury, yet the defense allowed the fourth-fewest yards through the air per game in the country, only behind Clemson, Notre Dame, and Ohio State.

Pretty good company to be in....

This is extremely impressive. I don't care what little qualifiers you want to put on it, it is still impressive. UK could have taken major steps back on defense, but they didn't. The started the year a bit more shaky and as the team grew the defense seemed to grow with it.

In 2017, UK was in the 70s (IIRC) in total defense. Last year we were up into the teens. This year we are around the 20s. This year was we knew that the defense was going to slip some after losing what we did. I figured we might slip back to around the 40s or 50s at best, but to stay top 25 is amazing. A very great job done by Stoops and staff, and players.

Stoops lost arguably the program’s best pass rusher and a generational talent in Josh Allen, but the team managed to produce the same amount of sacks as the year prior.

In the secondary, Stoops lost his top five players from last year and then lost his best and most experienced defensive back to a preseason injury, yet the defense allowed the fourth-fewest yards through the air per game in the country, only behind Clemson, Notre Dame, and Ohio State.

Pretty good company to be in....

Great post, and an amazing accomplishment in our tough league. Hell, Transfer U was supposed to have a great offense.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Great post, and an amazing accomplishment in our tough league. Hell, Transfer U was supposed to have a great offense.
I can't take much credit for content. I copied and pasted it from SBNation. But still an amazing job by the coaches!

Reactions: The-Hack
Folks we're a QB away from being a legitimate threat in the SEC! And only going to get better from here with what's on campus and coming in!
Actually I'm more worried about our WR! Just not sure we can get open on critical 3rd downs! Just have not seen a go to guy besides Bowden!

No sir, have to find a QB. That is priority No. 1.

But the defensive coaches deserve a ton of praise for the job they did this year.
Found HIM!!!
ELDv0IxXUAA3h8r

This is extremely impressive. I don't care what little qualifiers you want to put on it, it is still impressive. UK could have taken major steps back on defense, but they didn't. The started the year a bit more shaky and as the team grew the defense seemed to grow with it.

In 2017, UK was in the 70s (IIRC) in total defense. Last year we were up into the teens. This year we are around the 20s. This year was we knew that the defense was going to slip some after losing what we did. I figured we might slip back to around the 40s or 50s at best, but to stay top 25 is amazing. A very great job done by Stoops and staff, and players.

2017 and 2018 had the exact same players. The difference? Brad white. What an addition by stoops

That (i.e., "defense by committee") is the way good defensive teams work. Even the ALs and the Clemsons seldom directly replace a high end draft choice with another high end draft choice. But it is always a "good" player that takes over and a high end draft choice evolves at another position. IOW, a steady stream of defensive talent.

Peace

Defense wins games, Offense sells tickets. Grade school coach told me that a long time ago. Stoops must have heard that comment too.

David Pollack says offense win championships. Maybe the Big 12 championship. But, most of the teams in the hunt for the NC have really good defenses, so the difference may be offense, but I don’t think we have had a playoff NC that did not have a top defense.

Stoops absolutely knows Defense. Doing a fantastic job............all that is missing here from taking a BIG step forward is THE most important position on this, or any football team - the QB. If you want to be mid-level, you'll field mid-level QB's. NOT going to win any type of Championship here without a future NFL caliber type QB....you know, just like UGA, LSU, BAMA, etc. That's not by accident that they are competing for National Championships, let alone the SEC Championship. All their QB's are going to sign with NFL teams. Ours here are not. Granshaw needs to get it together and bring in a top notch QB. Gatewood just got beat out by at true frosh, right?.......We'll see how that goes about a year and 3/4 from now. Hopefully our next great hope from Lexington will exceed all expectations and bring this offense to its full potential. A great passing QB in our current scheme and personnel could and would compete with anybody in the nation.......QB is a MUST here. Without it, they stop our run game, and the party is over. Great teams can stop one-dimensional offenses. If we want to be one-dimensional, we need Lynn & Co. running the option....and obviously our staff is not set up to teach those techniques.

Stoops absolutely knows Defense. Doing a fantastic job............all that is missing here from taking a BIG step forward is THE most important position on this, or any football team - the QB. If you want to be mid-level, you'll field mid-level QB's. NOT going to win any type of Championship here without a future NFL caliber type QB....you know, just like UGA, LSU, BAMA, etc. That's not by accident that they are competing for National Championships, let alone the SEC Championship. All their QB's are going to sign with NFL teams. Ours here are not. Granshaw needs to get it together and bring in a top notch QB. Gatewood just got beat out by at true frosh, right?.......We'll see how that goes about a year and 3/4 from now. Hopefully our next great hope from Lexington will exceed all expectations and bring this offense to its full potential. A great passing QB in our current scheme and personnel could and would compete with anybody in the nation.......QB is a MUST here. Without it, they stop our run game, and the party is over. Great teams can stop one-dimensional offenses. If we want to be one-dimensional, we need Lynn & Co. running the option....and obviously our staff is not set up to teach those techniques.

I like Stoops and his crew. They are SEC armed in recruiting and coaching. A little passing and a whole lot of defense and running. This has always been SEC ball when the chips are down.

I'm ok with passing as long as we don't go air raid qb crazy weak in recruiting and coaching. Something we do on occasion. Alabama seems headed in that
direction right now. They'll change back sooner than most teams and begin to dominate. Their fans won't stand the new system.

Our best Fran Curci teams had a tight end play qb. That's the best UK SEC football I've seen and I've seen a lot as many of you have also.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT