ADVERTISEMENT

Dear lurking Duke fans...

OT - I listened to Erik Spoelstra's interview tonight. That guy is one of the classiest, best spoken coaches I've ever seen.

I thought when he was promoted to coach (during Lebron/Wade's time) he was just a puppet. But the guy is smart and insightful.

Pat Riley has raised him well. Bam and Tyler are fortunate to have those 2 as their mentors.

Last edited:
Tatum is a really good player duke fans. You guys have a good one to pull for in the league for several years. He’s so good, if he had played for Kentucky he would be our 5th or 6th best player currently in the league.
Name the 5?

I think Tatum is pretty good, so Idt I’d make this argument yet, but you could see these guys making it a conversation in the years to come:

AD

KAT - has gotta find a way to win some
Booker - needs to defend and play on a team that matters
Murray - dude is ascending very quickly
Fox
Bam
Herro

I think Tatum is pretty good, so Idt I’d make this argument yet, but you could see these guys making it a conversation in the years to come:

AD

KAT - has gotta find a way to win some
Booker - needs to defend and play on a team that matters
Murray - dude is ascending very quickly
Fox
Bam
Herro
I would put AD above Tatum, that's it. But AD is a finished product (an elite product by the way). Tatum clearly ascending rapidly.

Everyone else I would rate below Tatum AND Tatum is YOUNGER than every single player on that list except Herro, who I like a lot and showing no fear (but he has no chance of being a franchise player like Tatum).

These are 3 credible independent sites that have Tatum ranked ahead of those UK players for 2020 as well just to help eliminate bias and have outside voice chime in to confirm Tatum's status in the NBA since I'm sure I will get "you think Tatum is better than [insert UK player name]? Yeah right!"

Last edited:
The irony is the UK players from this Miami team would actually be considered the 5th or 6th best players in the league if they were from Duke. That's no knock because Herro and Bam are playing quite well and have bright futures.

Zion
Tatum
Ingram
Kyrie

Herro
Bam
No one in their right mind would take Ingram over Bam. Not sure Zion is even better if you look beyond the espn hype.

Here's what I've got:

1. Davis uk
2. Tatum duke
3. Booker uk
4. Towns uk
5. Irving duke
6. Murray uk
7. Zion duke
8. Bam uk
9. Wall uk
10. Fox uk
11. Ingram duke
12. SGA uk
13. Randle uk
14. Bagley duke
15. Barrett duke
16. Herro uk
17. Carter duke
18. Washington uk
19. Bledsoe uk
20. Parker duke

Last edited:
K has had some of the most hyped players in high school in the last ten years - Okafor, Bagley, Parker, Rivers - and so many of them underwhelm. Tatum, Kyrie and Zion are legit, but they're the exception to the lack of development among the former Duke elite.

I was examining Celtics future, because I'm still not convinced they are an elite team as of now.. they seem to be just one more piece away, or maybe Tatum really stepping into a superstar role next season.

..but then I saw that they have 4 NBA draft picks for next year, 3 1st rounders. They could definitely draft another big body or possibly trade those picks for someone established.

Duke fans are crowing because they’ve had a “representative” in 7 straight Finals or something. Congrats on your bunch of bench warmers and role players.

This Finals, Kentucky has six huge contributors representing four different era’s of Kentucky basketball.
classic duke bitches I wonder if they’ll try to discredit UKs success by saying something about “the modern era”. Bunch of clowns can’t wait until K leaves so they can fall into irrelevance like IU did when Bob Knight left.

I’ve got AD, Murray, KAT, Bam and Booker all ahead of Tatum. Y’all are overhyping Tatum just a bit. KATs been one of the top 3 bigs in the league since his 2nd year. Booker has turned into arguably the best shooting guard behind James Harden. Murray along with Jokic just dragged his team back from down 3-1 in the playoffs twice. Bam just showed you who the better player was. Bam just brings more to the table to a team than Tatum.

The only player from that list that I think Tatum has an argument stating is booker because booker doesn’t play defense. But he made some pretty drastic improvements on that end this past year.

I’ve got AD, Murray, KAT, Bam and Booker all ahead of Tatum. Y’all are overhyping Tatum just a bit. KATs been one of the top 3 bigs in the league since his 2nd year. Booker has turned into arguably the best shooting guard behind James Harden. Murray along with Jokic just dragged his team back from down 3-1 in the playoffs twice. Bam just showed you who the better player was. Bam just brings more to the table to a team than Tatum.

The only player from that list that I think Tatum has an argument stating is booker because booker doesn’t play defense. But he made some pretty drastic improvements on that end this past year.

Tatum is a very talented player.. but it's time for him to step up. That 0-fer in the first half the other night was critical. You can't have games like that if you want to be considered an elite player. He and the Celtics kind of had a few gift-wrapped series.. Philly without Simmons, needing 7 games to beat a great but not heavy on talent Toronto team.. Then the Bucks collapse, never looked right.

K has had some of the most hyped players in high school in the last ten years - Okafor, Bagley, Parker, Rivers - and so many of them underwhelm. Tatum, Kyrie and Zion are legit, but they're the exception to the lack of development among the former Duke elite.
Ingram is heading toward elite (I believe).

Ingram is heading toward elite (I believe).

Probably, and I still think Zion can be elite also. But at the same time, he's one injury away from ending his career. The Pels really didn't look good in the bubble, but neither did a lot of teams. The hope is that the Pels continue to wallow near the bottom and waste the careers of Zion and Ingram.

It's gonna be interesting to see how contract talks play out with a guy like Zion. Unless he proves to be a stud and remain healthy.. I wonder if teams will be hesitant to put a ton on him. There isn't a player in the NBA with a situation like his at the moment: Some feel he could be a generational talent.. some think injury and his size will ultimately ruin him. So how do you play this?

Probably, and I still think Zion can be elite also. But at the same time, he's one injury away from ending his career. The Pels really didn't look good in the bubble, but neither did a lot of teams. The hope is that the Pels continue to wallow near the bottom and waste the careers of Zion and Ingram.

It's gonna be interesting to see how contract talks play out with a guy like Zion. Unless he proves to be a stud and remain healthy.. I wonder if teams will be hesitant to put a ton on him. There isn't a player in the NBA with a situation like his at the moment: Some feel he could be a generational talent.. some think injury and his size will ultimately ruin him. So how do you play this?
Zion will struggle to stay healthy.
Of course I've said that about Lebron for years, and he's still ticking.

Zion is one Dukie I'll be pulling for.

Just can't do it man. First, there is the Duke thing. That is the hardest to overcome. Not only did he go to Duke, but him and his family cheated (supposedly) to get there. They couldn't wait one damn year to get paid? What kind of lesson is that for your 17 year old kid? I can see Zion having issues down the road with something other than injuries. Hell, the kid is already entangled in a huge lawsuit. Don't really care for him or his parents.

I would put AD above Tatum, that's it. But AD is a finished product (an elite product by the way). Tatum clearly ascending rapidly.

Everyone else I would rate below Tatum AND Tatum is YOUNGER than every single player on that list except Herro, who I like a lot and showing no fear (but he has no chance of being a franchise player like Tatum).

These are 3 credible independent sites that have Tatum ranked ahead of those UK players for 2020 as well just to help eliminate bias and have outside voice chime in to confirm Tatum's status in the NBA since I'm sure I will get "you think Tatum is better than [insert UK player name]? Yeah right!"

We can add Tatum's point average to Duke's production during the finals and Duke still doesn't have half the average UK has put up. Tatum is a nice player and has really improved his game, especially the 3 point shot. He did not come from Kentucky though. Those kids are "built different." I think Bam showed him this during numerous games.

I can't pull for Zion either. K will use his success to add to the already advantageous recruiting he's had. That's probably the last thing I want for next season, more than any team to lose or something.. is for Zion to be a bust. And it's unfortunate, because he seems like a good dude. His game is fun to watch. But Kentucky could benefit from him not playing well.

SOrry but Tatum is going down the path of being at best another Carmelo Anthony/Dominick Wilkins and probably more like a lesser version. He's a one way player...all offense and zilch effort on defense. Why he couldn't guard Herro/Duncan Robinson any better is beyond explanation. Brown took mostly Jimmy Butler which left Tatum on the other guards/wings and Tatum was terrible defensively in the series.

I guess that is par for the Dookies in NBA. They are all 1 way players if that.

Just can't do it man. First, there is the Duke thing. That is the hardest to overcome. Not only did he go to Duke, but him and his family cheated (supposedly) to get there. They couldn't wait one damn year to get paid? What kind of lesson is that for your 17 year old kid? I can see Zion having issues down the road with something other than injuries. Hell, the kid is already entangled in a huge lawsuit. Don't really care for him or his parents.
I can't pull for Zion either. K will use his success to add to the already advantageous recruiting he's had. That's probably the last thing I want for next season, more than any team to lose or something.. is for Zion to be a bust. And it's unfortunate, because he seems like a good dude. His game is fun to watch. But Kentucky could benefit from him not playing well.

You guys are right. I retract my statement.

Think we can all agree that Tatum, Herro, and Bam will all be part of the face of the league soon

No one in their right mind would take Ingram over Bam. Not sure Zion is even better if you look beyond the espn hype.

Here's what I've got:

1. Davis uk
2. Tatum duke
3. Booker uk
4. Towns uk
5. Irving duke
6. Murray uk
7. Zion duke
8. Bam uk
9. Wall uk
10. Fox uk
11. Ingram duke