ADVERTISEMENT

Davonta Lee

I am not claiming to be Mr. Logical, but I still disagree with what you're saying. Stoops has been targeting the best of the best ever since he took over a 2-10 UK team. So much so that teams like OSU, Miami, and others have pounced on our early commits frequently and flipped them after they emerge in the rankings.

Kentucky doesn't need to start targeting higher level prospects. That's never been an issue. They need to start landing the top ones that they do target. Something they have been doing at a staggering rate since December. As I pointed out elsewhere, a class full of 25 players like Weaver, Taylor, Casey, Mosely, Dobson, Ward, and Devonshire would only be ranked around #20, but fully capable of competing and beating anyone on the schedule.

Stoops has been recruiting like he was at an upper echelon SEC school since day 1. He just hasn't been landing the recruits that he has ranked near the top of his big board until recently.

If you look back at the top 250 players from Ohio, Georgia, Kentucky, and Florida over the last few years, a whole lot of them received their first SEC offer from Kentucky.

I can appreciate your opinion, and respect it. You are able to express that opinion without questioning the academics of my university or my intelligence.

Reactions: EclipsingYou
Yeah, I get it. No one can say anything about Grumpy without some fans getting butt hurt. They love that he is a Georgia fan posting on this site, making all of his Georgia analogies. Disagree with him or call him out for being biased and some fans want to be the Grumpy Defender. He is off limits! He doesn’t say bad things about UK! That’s fine.

But, I don’t care. I rarely respond to any of his stories about how Georgia does it or how Richt did this or how Smart approaches issues or how Georgia did that or how they once had a player who is similar to a UK player or how he despises certain coaches or teams in the SEC, etc.

I can take the “Grumpy hate” claims when I think he states ridiculous things or obnoxiously defends the Georgia AD or acts like there is no way under heaven that Smart wanted Gran as an OC. He is just another fan to me.

You will never see me defend Gaga's AD. He is a glorified ticket counter. As far Gran, Jones was the only media on that limb after his source retracted, believe what you want.
Yeah, that is what he said. SMH

Here is a claim. Had Kirby Smart come to UK after success at Bama, but when Stoops took over at UK, UK, at best, would be exactly where it currently is in wins and in recruiting. But, I susggest Smart would be on the cusp of being fired for failing to produce.
Ding, ding, ding, ding!!!!

Grumpy posted the ultimate answer to his own question(s).

Now reverse the formula, Grumpy.

I notice in all your posts, above, you do not strongly state Georgia is not cheating . . . you address the issue by asking if Cal cheats, or asking if Kirby’s work habits are his key to success.

Yeah.

Ok.

I was a precocious teenager when I heard adults making the same points regarding Fran Curci’s tactics.

You’re an older Dog than I am a Cat, Grumpy. We are too old to fool ourselves or anyone else.

We both know how this has worked for generations, and the best any of us can do is (1) not participate directly, and (2) hope that what we know was going on just a few years ago isn’t going on now.

My sources?

No less a “clean” Coach as Bill Curry asked around in the 1990’s where his “recruiting help” was? When asked what he meant, he told some trusted UK folks that at both Georgia Texh and Bama there were boosters he never met and whose names he never knew [or wanted to know] who “assisted the program” in recruiting.

Let’s not kid ourselves. If we each want to believe our respective programs are clean, so be it.

But we can be reasonably certain that 5 star athletes in both major sports can command a price just as Cam Newton did with Auburn. The sCam situation was a little different from most, as a banking investigation and another SEC school briefly lifted the blanket of what I frankly believe is normal, for a little peak.

Back in the nineties, folks with whom I’m closely associated had to tell “Preacher” Bill Curry that they were unaware of a hidden group of wealthy men who assisted the program in recruiting. But we all felt a bit justified in our long held suspicions as to how our friends in the Deep South operated.

So back at ya’ Grumpy!

Don’t you think Cal’s winning smile keeps UK in the Top 3 in roundball recruiting?

Man, I’ve heard that Kirby Smart could sell Confederate bonds to Yankee Bankers, and twice on Sundays, as he just don’t sleep on it!!!!!

Yeah.

Sure!!!

I never said Cal was cheating, I did answer the question with another question. But to Kirby, no don't think he is because someone would turn him in if they thought he was.

So that’s why we had Joker Phillips as a head coach and a AD that basically talked shit about the fans basically mocking us die hards?

I don’t even hate Mitch but I used to. He came in here and all he knew was basketball. When I used to work for WKYT I would occasionally talk to him at the games, he wasn’t very likable. That’s not to say the guy has changed and tried to do a good job and I do respect that.
Yeah all the neglect of UK's football program fall on Barnhart and Barnhart alone doesn't it? I grant you it is a long and winding story that includes some remarkably stupid decisions by our general assembly, the university's mission, priorities in budgeting, a billion dollar hospital, and bonding stories, but to ignore all that and lay the blame all on one person at Kentucky is simply myopic.

Sorry Devonta Lee, guess pissing matches are more important then updates. I get it, it is a long shot blah blah blah. Would much rather discuss that instead of other BS that took over this thread. Some of you need to get over yourself with the I am right, you are wrong, i will argue till i can not breath anymore proving so. IT IS PLAYED OUT.

Sorry Devonta Lee, guess pissing matches are more important then updates. I get it, it is a long shot blah blah blah. Would much rather discuss that instead of other BS that took over this thread. Some of you need to get over yourself with the I am right, you are wrong, i will argue till i can not breath anymore proving so. IT IS PLAYED OUT.
Yes. I clicked on this thread to read comments and updates on Lee.

I was disappointed.

He’s not wrong about Mitch. Mitch couldn’t have cared less about football until we put an end to it. Rich Brooks would’ve done special things with the right support. He started caring the day we put 15000 in a 67000 seat stadium and watched a 40-0 massacre. Back to Brooks, he has basically acknowledged he left Kentucky because of the support.
I've said this before and I will say it again. The so called fan revolt had zero impact on how much support the football program received. All of UK's bonding capacity was being used on the hospital and other campus construction projects. The football program had to wait until there was sufficient bonding capacity to do its project. Has the fans revolted a year earlier, the project would have still been started when it was. This idea that the fans forced the AD's hand to support football when he didn't want to is complete myth. Aside from that, it's ridiculous on its face. I'm not sure why anyone would want to bend reality so they can believe an AD doesn't want to win in all sports.

picked up UK hat the dropped it :angry:

Oh well. These kids are encouraged to put on a show. ESPN is freaking airing their decision. So, you expect a measure of ridiculousness. But, no one really cares about how you commit. And, once you commit, it’s time to demonstrate you have what it takes. Good luck to him.

I don't follow LSU that closely but they had been pretty mediocre when it comes to the passing game in the recent past. I don't know if that is still the case. If so then he might not have made a very good choice and just went with the home team. Unfortunately we have yet to show much of a strong passing game either and that probably didn't help our chances enough to pull him away from home.

Definite lack of class. Pick the school you want but no need to be an ass about it.

He's just having fun with it. These kids do it all the time. Doesn't determine whether the kid has class or not.

I am not claiming to be Mr. Logical, but I still disagree with what you're saying. Stoops has been targeting the best of the best ever since he took over a 2-10 UK team. So much so that teams like OSU, Miami, and others have pounced on our early commits frequently and flipped them after they emerge in the rankings.

Kentucky doesn't need to start targeting higher level prospects. That's never been an issue. They need to start landing the top ones that they do target. Something they have been doing at a staggering rate since December. As I pointed out elsewhere, a class full of 25 players like Weaver, Taylor, Casey, Mosely, Dobson, Ward, and Devonshire would only be ranked around #20, but fully capable of competing and beating anyone on the schedule.

Stoops has been recruiting like he was at an upper echelon SEC school since day 1. He just hasn't been landing the recruits that he has ranked near the top of his big board until recently.

If you look back at the top 250 players from Ohio, Georgia, Kentucky, and Florida over the last few years, a whole lot of them received their first SEC offer from Kentucky.
I've said this before and I will say it again. The so called fan revolt had zero impact on how much support the football program received. All of UK's bonding capacity was being used on the hospital and other campus construction projects. The football program had to wait until there was sufficient bonding capacity to do its project. Has the fans revolted a year earlier, the project would have still been started when it was. This idea that the fans forced the AD's hand to support football when he didn't want to is complete myth. Aside from that, it's ridiculous on its face. I'm not sure why anyone would want to bend reality so they can believe an AD doesn't want to win in all sports.
This is very likely the most honest and truthful statement stated on this forum in years.

Just saw on Twitter where the freakin Governor of Louisiana congratulated and thanked Mr. Lee for choosing LSU.

Was he that big of a recruit for the Tigers?!!

Just saw on Twitter where the freakin Governor of Louisiana congratulated and thanked Mr. Lee for choosing LSU.

Was he that big of a recruit for the Tigers?!!
Perhaps not that big a recruit, but talented enough to stay home. Folks, this young man came within a last second emotional decision and Ed Orgeron’s legendary recruiting prowess to sign with LSU. When I’m the history of UK football has major talented players from the bayous of Louisiana ever came this close to leave home for Kentucky? I applaud our coaching staff for what they have accomplished and will continue to achieve in the future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT