ADVERTISEMENT

Danny Clark rising

BigSexyCat

Senior
Nov 29, 2008
Undisclosed sources are stating Danny Clark may indeed be named starter. These sources claim Clark has arm strength not seen since the Jared Lorenzen era. These same sources also claim that Hoak & Wilson have failed to separate themselves from the pack.

Hard to take this seriously since at end of Spring and now in SEC media days this month talk only about Terry Wilson and Hoak.

I liked what I saw from Clark in spring game...but for whatever reason it is not translating to Gran/Stoops (as well as even other player interviews).

Purely in the interest of discussion and perspective I offer this

2 years ago it took Barker's back problem to force the staff to play Johnson,the next two years are history.I have confidence in Gran's offense and play calling,however could it be that the staff has some issues when it comes to seeing/evaluating what they have at the QB spot? I give the staff credit for where we are vs where we were when they got here but the QB situation should be a bit more clear to them at this point in time,maybe it is but it doesn't seem to be.

Additionally Hoak should probably have gotten the snaps Barker got last year,that isn't rocket science.Barker was never going to be a starter here after his injury,play the guy that figures into the long range plan.

Last edited:
Imho, I'm starting to think we need the QB with the better arm. I think the running game is good enough on its own without the need for a running QB. On third and ten I want the guy to get the ball to CJ or a WR consistently.
All this depends on the offensive lines ability to give the QB time to throw. If the QB is running for his life, then we need the mobile QB.

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat
Hard to take this seriously since at end of Spring and now in SEC media days this month talk only about Terry Wilson and Hoak.

I liked what I saw from Clark in spring game...but for whatever reason it is not translating to Gran/Stoops (as well as even other player interviews).

I do watch CNN :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Are you my pal, Danny?

judge-smails-gif-7.gif

This is great news imo. We know how great Hoak and Wilson are so if he beats them out then our QB spot is going to be strong

Undisclosed sources are stating Danny Clark may indeed be named starter. These sources claim Clark has arm strength not seen since the Jared Lorenzen era. These same sources also claim that Hoak & Wilson have failed to separate themselves from the pack.

Lorenzen's arm strength without Lorenzen's body? That would be something to see.

Reactions: ukalum1988
Purely in the interest of discussion and perspective I offer this

2 years ago it took Barker's back problem to force the staff to play Johnson,the next two years are history.I have confidence in Gran's offense and play calling,however could it be that the staff has some issues when it comes to seeing/evaluating what they have at the QB spot? I give the staff credit for where we are vs where we were when they got here but the QB situation should be a bit more clear to them at this point in time,maybe it is but it doesn't seem to be.

Additionally Hoak should probably have gotten the snaps Barker got last year,that isn't rocket science.Barker was never going to be a starter here after his injury,play the guy that figures into the long range plan.

Our whole offense was based on Barker throwing the ball. Which he did great until his back went out. Gran did a great job changing our whole offense. Hence Benny started to play. SJ couldn't throw the ball. Big heart and loved the guy.

It's an interesting rumor, at least. With neither Hoak nor Wilson seemingly clearly in the lead, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Clark is in the mix during camp. We all agree that we have to have a better, more balanced offense than the last 6+ weeks of the season last year. From all reports, Clark has a big arm and is a good all-around athlete. Is he accurate? Can he make the right decision quickly? That remains to be seen. But there are questions about Hoak (big enough arm? mobile enough? more than a game manager? no real game experience?) and Wilson (accuracy? turnover prone? decision making? can he make enough throws to keep defense honest?), too. I trust that Gran and Hinshaw can figure out who gives us the best chance to win and will operate the offense to the starter's strengths. It could be quite the battle during fall camp.

There are different ways to comprehend what is going on with our football team. A fan can listen to rumors here and elsewhere, as if they are facts. A fan can read the newspaper. Or read Phil Steele. Or listen to what our coaches say. Or watch the team ourselves and believe what we see with our own eyes. Whatever method we choose, we must get beyond our preconceived notions and understand each new season brings its own developments. If you rely on your own eyes (as I do), you must take the opportunity to watch carefully whenever the chance presents itself, and make an effort to understand what you are seeing without an agenda. A couple of us who attended the BWG have said here before that Danny Clark is for real. In the BWG, Clark’s confidence and progress in the offense were obvious. He didn’t play as much as Hoak or Wilson, but he threw enough passes to show coverage recognition, accuracy, pace. It’s very true, the BWG is not the October schedule. But they play it for a reason. It’s a final exam for what has been learned in the spring. While everyone is doubting Hoak and hyping Wilson, we shouldn’t forget Clark. I believe Clark is a winner, and there is no doubting his physical talent when you actually watch him play. What has changed is that Clark is now receiving real attention from Coach Hinshaw as a legitimate option.

Seems the “pack” is Clark. Danny seems to have some winning characteristics similar to SJ.

True. Stoops, does, however, always make a point to add Danny to his reports. But, he seems to be more an after thought. He still is very young.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
I think Wilson gets the nod. I do however think either Hoak or Clark will transfer if Wilson has the season I think he could. The are both quality options that wont sit and watch much longer.

Reactions: 3Bluefever325
I think Wilson gets the nod. I do however think either Hoak or Clark will transfer if Wilson has the season I think he could. The are both quality options that wont sit and watch much longer.
I think Hoak starts the opener, but will have to be sharp to hold off Wilson and Clark later, as they become more comfortable in the offense over time. Hoak is less likely to make mistakes, and can execute the playbook, but probably doesn’t have the upside of the other 2. As for transfers, that can’t be predicted. Almost any player on the roster is 1 injury away from getting his chance to be a star. Experience teaches that these things can look a lot different to players than to observers.

Hoak is the safe bet. Wilson has the speed we need to be in every game. Clark is not the dark horse everyone thought last year and will get every chance to be a very good back up. Any one of the three will be better in the long run than in the past few year's.
I don't care who they choose I will be watching and screaming my head off for a win in every game. I think we have a chance to have a very special year. How many win's is any one's guess. The games are there for the taking and "if" they execute like a team and play hard every down there is always a chance....

GBB

While a possibility, Clark, I think, would have to very clearly separate himself from the pack, as naming him starter could easily create two transfers with Wilson and Hoak on a shorter timeline for getting into games, here, or somewhere else.

Some would/will argue that class level should make no difference in the decision, but you can't convince me. I feel certain that at some point in the conversation among the Head Coach and the OC, the simple fact that naming your youngest [or near youngest] potential QB as starter could run off two players in upper classes, gets mentioned. Along with the likely truth that naming a player a year or two ahead of Clark, at least allows Clark the reasonable hope of taking over in the future.

Was Danny also an early enrollee in January ‘17? I don’t see any transfer. Lookin at the top three guys I think there’s three solid options, though young and inexperienced, with talent and potential. They will have clean slates. Whomever wins the job will be an upgrade for one simple reason: SJ had two bad shoulders and two bad knees. All three qbs are healthy and able to throw and I believe that puts us ahead of the curve, though I’m an optimist.

A couple of us who attended the BWG have said here before that Danny Clark is for real. In the BWG, Clark’s confidence and progress in the offense were obvious. He didn’t play as much as Hoak or Wilson, but he threw enough passes to show coverage recognition, accuracy, pace. .... I believe Clark is a winner, and there is no doubting his physical talent when you actually watch him play. What has changed is that Clark is now receiving real attention from Coach Hinshaw as a legitimate option.
I tend to agree. He looked like a cool customer not easily rattled; focused.

My point was that the coaches knew that a long time before they acted on or planned around it.Poke fun or ridicule my post if you like but it doesn't change the reality of the matter.

OK, I like - cause coaches, especially our coaches, want to continue down a path knowing long beforehand they should have done something different or changed something that they didn't. Everyone knows that always leads to success and employment longevity.

I can't believe a rational human would even give that line of thought any credence but evidence abounds to the contrary.

Reactions: Rembrandt90
OK, I like - cause coaches, especially our coaches, want to continue down a path knowing long beforehand they should have done something different or changed something that they didn't. Everyone knows that always leads to success and employment longevity.

I can't believe a rational human would even give that line of thought any credence but evidence abounds to the contrary.
Do you disagree that Hoak should have gotten the snaps that Barker got last year?

Do you disagree that Hoak should have gotten the snaps that Barker got last year?

Well, since you normally give snaps to the backup before you give them to the third string guy - yes, I disagree.

If you want to go through the fruitless effort of trying to say Hoak should have been second team over Barker then knock yourself out but that would only be your opinion.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT