ADVERTISEMENT

2 Weeks Before Game Day: Iowa Analaysis From An Iowa Fan

rucker4

Freshman
Dec 8, 2021
First, I've truly appreciated being on your board a lot the past couple weeks since Iowa found out they'd be playing Kentucky in the Citrus Bowl game. You are an amazingly respectful and knowledgeable fan base and so many posters here I wish I could sit down with to have a beer. I'd invite most any of you here to stop by one of my tailgates if you're ever in Iowa City for an Iowa game sometime in the future. Seriously!

On to my thoughts about the Iowa team you'll play in 2 weeks. I have attended Iowa games since the 1970s-- currently hold 8 season tickets. University of Iowa grad, Iowa native here and live in Iowa City for years now. I pride myself in being objective -- not a homer, though my loyalty with Iowa runs deep.

So here goes in a simple forecast:

From the opening kickoff, understand completely Iowa predicates their success on the defense-- NOT their offense. Has been the case for 23 years with Kirk Ferentz-- consistent all those years.

Iowa also prides themselves in strong specialty teams play; and most years has had great specialty teams.

They pride themselves in playing very sound fundamental football; low amount of turnovers.

These are all Kirk Ferentz staples. He is a Bill Belicheck disciple-- having coached under him in the NFL in Cleveland. Style points mean nothing to Ferentz. One of his greatest wins ever was in 2003 I believe when Iowa beat Penn State 6-4 in State College.

IOWA OFFENSE:

Statistically, one of the worst in college football in 2021-- ranking 123rd. Even if you look at Iowa's offenses from the last 5 years standpoint, both nationally and in the B1G conference it ranks very low in all categories. This is because the top three themes for the Iowa offense is ball control by eating clock, being risk adverse, and not turning the ball over.

Iowa's best RB, Tyler Goodson, as you likely know, is opting out of the game to turn pro.

Iowa's best offensive player, without a close second, is center Tyler Linderbaum. If he does turn pro after this game, he'll be a high 1st round draft pick. He's a gem.

After Linderbaum, best players on "O" are TE Sam LaPorta. Iowa knows TEs as we are proud to say we are TEU with Dallas Clark, George Kittle, TJ Hockensen, and Noah Fant from here. LaPorta not in their class but he'll be playing on Sundays in two seasons.

Iowa Offensive Line a mess this year-- young and inexperienced. Sad because usually this is the strength of the team. Will it grow up in the Citrus Bowl? Likely not enough.

You may see Iowa play two QBs- Spencer Petras and Alex Padilla. All respect to them but neither will strike great fear into you. Petras hates to tuck the ball and run, and will throw the ball away 6 times a game. Padilla more mobile, but not near the passer Petras is. Side note: Truly hard for Hawk fans to believe Petras broke most every high school record of Jared Goff when he came to Iowa (from same high school). Mind boggling.

If not mistaken, Iowa's offense averaged about 24 points a game this year and Iowa's defense and special teams contributed to a good chunk of that. Averaged less than 20 points a game in B1G play-- YIKES!

IOWA DEFENSE:

Again, the staple. However, not near as good in the last 7 games as it was in the first 6. The defense went 29 consecutive games giving up 24 points or less until that streak snapped in their 8th game of the year against Wisconsin.

You won't see Iowa providing much of a pass rush, but they will be very strong on the line and up the middle. Early in the season we had a ridiculous amount of turnovers created be the defense but that dwindled as the year went on. Iowa does pride themselves on creating lots of turnovers-- always has.

Best defensive player absolutely is LB Jack Campbell. Clone of former Hawk great LB and NFL star Chad Greenway. CB Riley Moss is going to play in the game but foregoing one more year of college to go to the NFL draft this spring. He was hurt at mid-season and missed some games and absolutely not 100% healthy but he's been good.

Iowa will be without CB Matt Hankins ( a good one) in the Citrus though he's missed the last few games now.

IOWA SPECIAL TEAMS/KICKING:

Tory Taylor is an amazing Punter. Pins teams down in the old "coffin corner" especially. May leave Iowa after 2022 as the schools best punter I've ever seen-- even better than former NFL All-Pro Reggie Roby. Personally I wouldn't trade him for another punter in the country.

Caleb Shudak was 3rd team All-American this year. He's just been suburb-- all I can say.

Charlie Jones an absolute BIG THREAT on kick off and punt returns. He's been great.

Overall, kickoff and punt return teams are a strength of this team.

KEYS TO BEATING IOWA:

Score more than 24 against Iowa and odds go way way up you win. Iowa just doesn't have the offensive firepower to keep up.

We were 6-0 to start the season and ranked #2 overall. Had 6 games left against 6 unranked opponents-- we were thinking possible college football playoff. Then we went 4-2 in those games-- losing at home against Purdue in a horrific performance and then getting waxed at Wisconsin. Still backed into the B1G West Division title and played Michigan in the B1G title game and got waxed. Iowa fans hoping Iowa restores the look in the first 6 games vs. the look in the final 7 games. But overall, still a 10-win season.

Lots of pride at Iowa. Ferentz in year 23. We've had 4 top 10 finishes under Ferentz. 2 B1G titles overall (though some time ago now). MANY New Years bowl appearances. Only two football coaches in past 43 years year between Hayden Fry and Ferentz. Iowa ranks I think in top 10 currently in most former players in the NFL currently-- shocking stat to most. And I believe only Ohio State has more in the NFL right now than does Iowa.

There you go. There's the most objective Iowa scouting report you'll get from a longtime Iowa football follower who knows football pretty well.

Great respect for your Wildcats and have expressed many times in posts here the respect we have for Mark Stoops and the entire Stoops family. We consider him "family" because of the deep roots here. If we lose, can't say I'll be deeply upset losing to a Stoops. And for the record, as much as I don't want to say so, I see Kentucky winning but be assured I will be rooting hard for the Hawks.

Last edited:
First, I've truly appreciated being on your board a lot the past couple weeks since Iowa found out they'd be playing Kentucky in the Citrus Bowl game. You are an amazingly respectful and knowledgeable fan base and so many posters here I wish I could sit down with to have a beer. I'd invite most any of you here to stop by one of my tailgates if you're ever in Iowa City for an Iowa game sometime in the future. Seriously!

On to my thoughts about the Iowa team you'll play in 2 weeks. I have attended Iowa games since the 1970s-- currently hold 8 season tickets. University of Iowa grad, Iowa native here and live in Iowa City for years now. I pride myself in being objective -- not a homer, though my loyalty with Iowa runs deep.

From the opening kickoff, understand completely Iowa predicates their success on the defense-- NOT their offense. Has been the case for 23 years with Kirk Ferentz-- consistent all those years.

Iowa also prides themselves in strong specialty teams play; and most years has had great specialty teams.

They pride themselves in playing very sound fundamental football; low amount of turnovers.

These are all Kirk Ferentz staples. He is a Bill Belicheck disciple-- having coached under him in the NFL in Cleveland. Style points mean nothing to Ferentz. One of his greatest wins ever was in 2003 I believe when Iowa beat Penn State 6-4 in State College.

IOWA OFFENSE:

Statistically, one of the worst in college football in 2021-- ranking 123rd. Even if you look at Iowa's offenses from the last 5 years standpoint, both nationally and in the B1G conference it ranks very low in all categories. This is because the top three themes for the Iowa offense is ball control by eating clock, being risk adverse, and not turning the ball over.

Iowa's best RB, Tyler Goodson, as you likely know, is opting out of the game to turn pro.

Iowa's best offensive player, without a close second, is center Tyler Linderbaum. If he does turn pro after this game, he'll be a high 1st round draft pick. He's a gem.

After Linderbaum, best players on "O" are TE Sam LaPorta. Iowa knows TEs as we are proud to say we are TEU with Dallas Clark, George Kittle, TJ Hockensen, and Noah Fant from here. LaPorta not in their class but he'll be playing on Sundays in two seasons.

Iowa Offensive Line a mess this year-- young and inexperienced. Sad because usually this is the strength of the team. Will it grow up in the Citrus Bowl? Likely not enough.

You may see Iowa play two QBs- Spencer Petras and Alex Padilla. All respect to them but neither will strike great fear into you. Petras hates to tuck the ball and run, and will throw the ball away 6 times a game. Padilla more mobile, but not near the passer Petras is. Side note: Truly hard for Hawk fans to believe Petras broke most every high school record of Jared Goff when he came to Iowa (from same high school). Mind boggling.

If not mistaken, Iowa's offense averaged about 24 points a game this year and Iowa's defense and special teams contributed to a good chunk of that. Averaged less than 20 points a game in B1G play-- YIKES!

IOWA DEFENSE:

Again, the staple. However, not near as good in the last 7 games as it was in the first 6. The defense went 29 consecutive games giving up 24 points or less until that streak snapped in their 8th game of the year against Wisconsin.

You won't see Iowa providing much of a pass rush, but they will be very strong on the line and up the middle. Early in the season we had a ridiculous amount of turnovers created be the defense but that dwindled as the year went on. Iowa does pride themselves on creating lots of turnovers-- always has.

Best defensive player absolutely is LB Jack Campbell. Clone of former Hawk great LB and NFL star Chad Greenway. CB Riley Moss is going to play in the game but foregoing one more year of college to go to the NFL draft this spring. He was hurt at mid-season and missed some games and absolutely not 100% healthy but he's been good.

Iowa will be without CB Matt Hankins ( a good one) in the Citrus though he's missed the last few games now.

Tory Taylor is an amazing Punter. Pins teams down in the old "coffin corner" especially. May leave Iowa after 2022 as the schools best punter I've ever seen-- even better than former NFL All-Pro Reggie Roby.

Caleb Shudak was 3rd team All-American this year. He's just been suburb-- all I can say.

Charlie Jones an absolute BIG THREAT on kick off and punt returns. He's been great.

KEYS TO BEATING IOWA:

Score more than 24 against Iowa and odds go way way up you win. Iowa just doesn't have the offensive firepower to keep up.

We were 6-0 to start the season and ranked #2 overall. Had 6 games left against 6 unranked opponents-- we were thinking possible college football playoff. Then we went 4-2 in those games-- losing at home against Purdue in a horrific performance and then getting waxed at Wisconsin. Still backed into the B1G West Division title and played Michigan in the B1G title game and got waxed. Iowa fans hoping Iowa restores the look in the first 6 games vs. the look in the final 7 games. But overall, still a 10-win season.

Lots of pride at Iowa. Ferentz in year 23. We've had 4 top 10 finishes under Ferentz. 2 B1G titles overall (though some time ago now). MANY New Years bowl appearances. Only two football coaches in past 43 years year between Hayden Fry and Ferentz.

There you go. There's the most objective Iowa scouting report you'll get from a longtime Iowa football follower who knows football pretty well.

Great respect for your Wildcats and have expressed many times in posts here the respect we have for Mark Stoops and the entire Stoops family. We consider him "family" because of the deep roots here. If we lose, can't say I'll be deeply upset losing to a Stoops. And for the record, as much as I don't want to say so, I see Kentucky winning but be assured I will be rooting hard for the Hawks.
Stoops relies on defense too. No surprise. He has Hawkeyes roots. Should be a good blue collar game on both sides. Thanks for the detailed scouting report.

Stoops relies on defense too. No surprise. He has Hawkeyes roots. Should be a good blue collar game on both sides. Thanks for the detailed scouting report.
I just stated in another thread that the more I read on Mark Stoops' philosophy the more he and Kirk are very similar in that regard-- like amazingly similar. Very little flash but lots of tough substance.

This could be a 3-2 game score.
Mark Stoops said that Iowa was the team he most wanted his team to look like in the future when he finally gets his program where he wants it.
Disciplined, well coached, clean on execution, organized in all 3 phases of the game. Control the line of scrimmage. Dominate defense.

CMS will try to emulate what Iowa does. I actually think CMS views this game as an opportunity to audition for the Iowa job if and when it comes open in the future.

CMS loves KY, but Iowa is a special place for him and his family. As Bear Bryant once said, when Momma calls, you just have to come home. Iowa is home for CMS.

It could be a rock fight.

Mark Stoops said that Iowa was the team he most wanted his team to look like in the future when he finally gets his program where he wants it.
Disciplined, well coached, clean on execution, organized in all 3 phases of the game. Control the line of scrimmage. Dominate defense.

CMS will try to emulate what Iowa does.

Stoops and Ferentz so much alike. Not surprised at Mark's comments about the Iowa program. Just fundamental football baby. Style points don't matter.

IOWA OFFENSE:

IOWA DEFENSE:

Tory Taylor is an amazing Punter. Pins teams down in the old "coffin corner" especially. May leave Iowa after 2022 as the schools best punter I've ever seen-- even better than former NFL All-Pro Reggie Roby. Personally I wouldn't trade him for another punter in the country.

KEYS TO BEATING IOWA:

Lots of pride at Iowa. Ferentz in year 23. We've had 4 top 10 finishes under Ferentz. 2 B1G titles overall (though some time ago now). MANY New Years bowl appearances. Only two football coaches in past 43 years year between Hayden Fry and Ferentz. Iowa ranks I think in top 10 currently in most former players in the NFL currently-- shocking stat to most. And I believe only Ohio State has more in the NFL right now than does Iowa.

Very nice post. Thank you and Merry Christmas to you and your family.

IOWA OFFENSE:

IOWA DEFENSE:

Tory Taylor is an amazing Punter. Pins teams down in the old "coffin corner" especially. May leave Iowa after 2022 as the schools best punter I've ever seen-- even better than former NFL All-Pro Reggie Roby.

KEYS TO BEATING IOWA:

One of my nieces graduated from the University of Iowa. It is a fine school, and you have many reasons to be proud. Your post is very good.

Military psychology is my professional background. I spent many years as a profiler for a US intelligence service. All great football coaches use psychology to keep order and gain an advantage on opponents. I do not yet consider Ferentz a great football coach, but he has some attributes of a great coach. In his initial remarks about this bowl, Ferentz while being complimentary compared Mark Stoops to a 15 year old boy at the time Stoops signed to play for Iowa. This was a subtle way of reminding Stoops who is the teacher and who is the student. A smart tactic, that will not work on Stoops. More than anything, Stoops is a fierce competitor and an ambitious leader.

This is a blue collar game. We have great respect for Iowa's defense. All season long, our Wildcats have been adjusting to a new offensive coordinator and his pro system. Big adjustments. We rank dead last in the SEC in turnover margin mainly because of these growing pains. In our last game, it looked like maybe we had finally turned that corner.

If Iowa's defense forces Kentucky into a sloppy offensive game, then Iowa wins. If Liam Coen has Kentucky's offense ready to do their jobs without errors, then Kentucky spreads Iowa out like Michigan did and wins the game in my opinion.

Merry Christmas.

One of my nieces graduated from the University of Iowa. It is a fine school, and you have many reasons to be proud. Your post is very good.

Military psychology is my professional background. I spent many years as a profiler for a US intelligence service. All great football coaches use psychology to keep order and gain an advantage on opponents. I do not yet consider Ferentz a great football coach, but he has some attributes of a great coach. In his initial remarks about this bowl, Ferentz while being complimentary compared Mark Stoops to a 15 year old boy at the time Stoops signed to play for Iowa. This was a subtle way of reminding Stoops who is the teacher and who is a student. A smart tactic, that will not work on Stoops. More than anything, Stoops is a fierce competitor and an ambitious leader.

This is a blue collar game. We have great respect for Iowa's defense. All season long, our Wildcats have been adjusting to a new offensive coordinator and his pro system. Big adjustments. We rank dead last in the SEC in turnover margin mainly because of these growing pains. In our last game, it looked like maybe we had finally turned that corner.

If Iowa's defense forces Kentucky into a sloppy offensive game, then Iowa wins. If Liam Coen has Kentucky's offense ready to do their jobs without errors, then Kentucky spreads Iowa out like Michigan did and wins the game in my opinion.

Merry Christmas.
Interesting take on Ferentz. I will say, he's probably the most genuine coach I've ever been witness to. I'd say Mark's older brother Bob is likely his closest friend among fellow coaches. I truly do not think Kirk was trying to take a jab at Mark in any way and if you have followed Iowa/Kirk as closely as me I'm certain you'd say the same. Not in any way trying to defend Kirk as I am objective as they come relating to Iowa football, but I truly believe what I just stated here.

I've been critical of various things of Kirk in the past, no doubt. But I must also say what he's achieved in his time at Iowa, considering all aspects, he'll go down as an overachiever when he retires.

Merry Christmas to you too!

Interesting take on Ferentz. I will say, he's probably the most genuine coach I've ever been witness to. I'd say Mark's older brother Bob is likely his closest friend among fellow coaches. I truly do not think Kirk was trying to take a jab at Mark in any way and if you have followed Iowa/Kirk as closely as me I'm certain you'd say the same. Not in any way trying to defend Kirk as I am objective as they come relating to Iowa football, but I truly believe what I just stated here.

I've been critical of various things of Kirk in the past, no doubt. But I must also say what he's achieved in his time at Iowa, considering all aspects, he'll go down as an overachiever when he retires.

Merry Christmas to you too!
No, it wasn't a jab. It wasn't intended as an insult. There is affection between the two coaches, but there is also a hierarchy. It's just the kind of thing veteran coaches do. I have seen Saban say similar things about Smart and Pruitt even though they all like one another. It is just a psychological game. Psychology is part of football.

No, it wasn't a jab. It wasn't intended as an insult. There is affection between the two coaches, but there is also a hierarchy. It's just the kind of thing veteran coaches do. I have seen Saban say similar things about Smart and Pruitt even though they all like one another. It is just a psychological game. Psychology is part of football.
The master of psychology we always felt was Iowa's Hayden Fry. He came up with the infamous pink locker rooms (including the toilets) for the opponents at Kinnick Stadium when he first arrived and are there to this day still. Pyschology major when he was in college.

Infamously before the 1985 #1 vs. #2 matchup game with Michigan, he intentionally had a non center snapping in warmups to the punter and place kicker to throw Bo Schembechler off as the snapper did a horrible job obviously in those warmups. God did I love Hayden!

Reactions: RogerIndy
Thanks for the breakdown.Have followed, watched a lot of Iowa football over the years including this year. It should be a hard hitting slug feast. I think if KY plays a pretty clean game offensively they win. If Iowa hangs around keeps it close into the 2nd half they have a great chance to pull the upset.

The master of psychology we always felt was Iowa's Hayden Fry. He came up with the infamous pink locker rooms (including the toilets) for the opponents at Kinnick Stadium when he first arrived and are there to this day still. Pyschology major when he was in college.

Infamously before the 1985 #1 vs. #2 matchup game with Michigan, he intentionally had a non center snapping in warmups to the punter and place kicker to throw Bo Schembechler off as the snapper did a horrible job obviously in those warmups. God did I love Hayden!
Ferentz learned at the knee of Hayden Fry.

CMS will try to emulate what Iowa does. I actually think CMS views this game as an opportunity to audition for the Iowa job if and when it comes open in the future.

CMS loves KY, but Iowa is a special place for him and his family. As Bear Bryant once said, when Momma calls, you just have to come home. Iowa is home for CMS.

Well for our sake we hope Ferenz continues to coach until he’s 80.

Yes. For sure. There was strong talk last year about him leaving Iowa. That is the one job that I know CMS would take.
Last year Ferentz leaving? Actually I don't think there's been any threat of him leaving for nearly 20 years when some NFL opportunities came calling after he had an amazing run 2002-2004. Maybe media speculation but nothing ever was of substance.

How long he will coach who knows? He's got good health and still younger than Saban. He says he's loving his job a ton and I believe him, though the last 18 months have worn on him a lot since all the racial allegations came out from some former players. I think he'd like to have his son Brian succeed him but for many reasons that wouldn't work and doubt it will happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: UKGrad93
Yes. For sure. There was strong talk last year about him leaving Iowa. That is the one job that I know CMS would take.
I do not believe Mark Stoops would leave Lexington for Iowa City. Five years ago, yes. Not now. He is a successful coach with a great contract in the top college football conference. His program is still improving. He just recruited his best class and got another raise. It doesn't get any better than that for a college football coach.

I do not believe Mark Stoops would leave Lexington for Iowa City. Five years ago, yes. Not now. He is a successful coach with a great contract in the top college football conference. His program is still improving. He just recruited his best class and got another raise. It doesn't get any better than that for a college football coach.
I certainly hope you are right. Don't want to lose him. There have been some serious growing pains as a HC and he got to survive those here at UK.

Probably doesn't happen anywhere else at a Power 5 School, especially SEC. I am sure he is totally aware of the commitment and investment that UK has made while allowing him the time to grow as a HC as he rebuilt the program.

It has been a win win for both parties.

Reactions: wildcatwelder

Military psychology is my professional background. I spent many years as a profiler for a US intelligence service. All great football coaches use psychology to keep order and gain an advantage on opponents. I do not yet consider Ferentz a great football coach, but he has some attributes of a great coach. In his initial remarks about this bowl, Ferentz while being complimentary compared Mark Stoops to a 15 year old boy at the time Stoops signed to play for Iowa. This was a subtle way of reminding Stoops who is the teacher and who is the student. A smart tactic, that will not work on Stoops. More than anything, Stoops is a fierce competitor and an ambitious leader.

Merry Christmas.

You might be right and certainly know way more than me about this stuff. But one thing to know about KF is he takes every opportunity he can, and often creates some out of nowhere, to be self deprecating and praise the other team/coach/players. I don't know exactly what he said about CMS as a 15 year old boy, but it wouldn't surprise me if KF was trying to imply that "I'm really old".

Again, wouldn't be surprised if I'm off but KF's self-deprecating schtick and bending over backwards to compliment the other team is well known. It actually just led one of our QBs to the transfer portal. For the Nebraska game, our top 2 QBs both had flu symptoms that week, luckily they were ok to play, but in the presser after the game KF said something to the effect of if we had to go to Lincoln with Deuce Hogan (3rd guy) starting at QB he probably wouldn't have left Iowa City. Stupid thing to say, DH was pissed and I don't blame him. But it was KF's way of giving credit to Nebraska saying there's no way we would've beaten them.

Last edited:

Does Iowa have a dedicated Special Teams Coach, or do they coach by committee?

A topic of discussion for us WildCats within our own team.

You might be right and certainly know way more than me about this stuff. But one thing to know about KF is he takes every opportunity he can, and often creates some out of nowhere, to be self deprecating and praise the other team/coach/players. I don't know exactly what he said about CMS and a 15 year old boy, but it wouldn't surprise me if KF was trying to imply that "I'm really old".

Again, wouldn't be surprised if I'm off but KF's self-deprecating schtick and bending over backwards to compliment the other team is well known. It actually just led one of our QBs to the transfer portal. For the Nebraska game, our top 2 QBs both had flu symptoms that week, luckily they were ok to play, but in the presser after the game KF said something to the effect of if we had to go to Lincoln with Deuce Hogan (3rd guy) starting at QB he probably wouldn't have left Iowa City. Stupid thing to say, DH was pissed and I don't blame him. But it was KF's way of giving credit to Nebraska saying there's no way we would've beaten them.
KF does go out of his way to compliment the other team as much or more than any coach I have ever known of. Agree that sometimes it just seems a bit too much.

Nice post, stuff like this makes chat boards worthwhile.

I have followed UK football since the 60's,most years a pretty tough row to hoe. I expect UK to push the ball downfield with a little more passing than usual. I've watch Iowa a few times this season, they seem to do everything decent but not really well at any one thing. I think UK can put points on the board with Robinson and Ali.

We do turn the ball over more than I like but have gotten better in that area as the year progressed. I think Iowa will need to throw the ball successfully if they are going to win. I have done my share of sports gambling over the years and I feel the O/U (around 43 I think) is too low, I like the Cats in this one as well.

Reactions: MemoirsOfZeus
How do you "know" this?
Just basing it on what CMS has repeatedly said concerning his love for Iowa.

CMS putting his Iowa jersey in his Dad's casket to be buried with him gives you some insight into the family connection to Iowa football.

I " know" Iowa is the one school the CMS would consider leaving UK for when the job comes open in the future.

No one "knows" whether he will actually take it, but I feel sure it will be hard for him to say no to his Alma Mater.

Just basing it on what CMS has repeatedly said concerning his love for Iowa.

CMS putting his Iowa jersey in his Dad's casket to be buried with him gives you some insight into the family connection to Iowa football.

I " know" Iowa is the one school the CMS would consider leaving UK for when the job comes open in the future.

No one "knows" whether he will actually take it, but I feel sure it will be hard for him to say no to his Alma Mater.
Exactly, I know he'll consider it if the offer is made. You first said you know he would take it. I realize you've convinced yourself of that but I remain unconvinced. There are many reasons I'm skeptical. First, the SEC is the conference most coaches aspire to reach. Then Ferentz says he's coaching his full contract which goes through 2025. Stoops would be 58 then. Also, Stoops makes as much as Day and by 2023 will be making 7.3M. Iowa would have to pay more than 50% more than they pay Ferentz. It's been a long long time since Stoops was part of Iowa and each year he becomes more engrained in Kentucky. Finally, that deep family connection didn't sway Bob Stoops.

Last edited:
Exactly, I know he'll consider it if the offer is made. You first said you know he would take it. I realize you've convinced yourself of that but I remain unconvinced. There are many reasons I'm skeptical for many reasons. First, the SEC is the conference most coaches aspire to reach. Then Ferentz says he's coaching his full contract which goes through 2025. Stoops would be 58 then. Also, Stoops makes as much as Day and by 2023 will be making 7.3M. Iowa would have to pay more than 50% more than they pay Ferentz. It's been a long long time since Stoops was part of Iowa and each year he becomes more engrained in Kentucky. Finally, that deep family connection didn't sway Bob Stoops.
For the record, Bob Stoops was never offered the Iowa job. Had he been, he's told many close friends who I'm connected with he wanted the Iowa job and would have taken it had they offered- even over the Oklahoma job.

Iowa interviewed Bob in Atlanta in December 1998 with their famous "search committee" and never offered the job to Bob that day because they had promised one more interview the next day-- to a guy named Kirk Ferentz. Oklahoma AD Joe Castiglione gave Bob a deadline by dinner hour the day Iowa interviewed Bob and when Bob never got the Iowa offer, he took the sure bet and accepted the Oklahoma job that same day. Iowa simply blew it and many have never forgotten. So never was a case of Bob turning the job down.

Reactions: jonmartn
For the record, Bob Stoops was never offered the Iowa job. Had he been, he's told many close friends who I'm connected with he wanted the Iowa job and would have taken it had they offered- even over the Oklahoma job.

Iowa interviewed Bob in Atlanta in December 1998 with their famous "search committee" and never offered the job to Bob that day because they had promised one more interview the next day-- to a guy named Kirk Ferentz. Oklahoma AD Joe Castiglione gave Bob a deadline by dinner hour the day Iowa interviewed Bob and when Bob never got the Iowa offer, he took the sure bet and accepted the Oklahoma job that same day. Iowa simply blew it and many have never forgotten. So never was a case of Bob turning the job down.
Bob took the Oklahoma job just hours after his interview. One would think, if what you've been told is accurate, that he would have waited until after the Ferentz interview.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Exactly, I know he'll consider it if the offer is made. You first said you know he would take it. I realize you've convinced yourself of that but I remain unconvinced. There are many reasons I'm skeptical for many reasons. First, the SEC is the conference most coaches aspire to reach. Then Ferentz says he's coaching his full contract which goes through 2025. Stoops would be 58 then. Also, Stoops makes as much as Day and by 2023 will be making 7.3M. Iowa would have to pay more than 50% more than they pay Ferentz. It's been a long long time since Stoops was part of Iowa and each year he becomes more engrained in Kentucky. Finally, that deep family connection didn't sway Bob Stoops.
I stated this in another thread:

The day the Iowa job finally comes open when Kirk retires, and that could still be at least a few years away, Mark Stoops, as things stand now, would be the first name at the very top of the short list who they contact. Would Mark accept? Who knows-- hard to predict something a few years out probably.

And again, Kirk Ferentz not many years ago was the 6th highest paid coach in college football so Iowa has proven in the past they will pay big money for their coach.

In my own opinion, if Iowa keeps a great run going and keeps much of the current assistant coaches in tact, they would very likely try staying "in house"-- though I can't see it being son Brian--who has way too much baggage.

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
Bob took the Oklahoma job just hours after his interview. One would think, if what you've been told is accurate, that he would have waited until after the Ferentz interview.
It's a true story-- not making that up. I know the story quite well by having a longtime friend who was an associate AD at Iowa at the time that was on that famous "search committee" (bad ass idea) and involved with the interview of all coaches seriously considered at the time (Kirk Ferentz, Bob Stoops, Terry Allen-then head coach at Kansas, Don Patterson-longtime Fry assistant coach at time, and Chuck Long- former Iowa player and current Iowa assistant at the time).

Yes, Bob finished the Iowa interview, no offer was made by Iowa, was told they were interviewing Kirk the next day, and he immediately called Castiglione back to say he was taking the OU job. Iowa simply dragged their feet too long with their "committee" approach while OU had a singular search team- AD Joe Castiglione.

Why didn't Bob wait even one more day for an Iowa offer? Was told that 1) he was given no guarantee he'd even get the Iowa offer 2) The OU job was one of the best in the country and was literally going to be off the table within hours and just too good to turn down when he had an offer from them and did not have one from Iowa. Bob wasn't in the mood to play poker.

Last edited:
Reactions: jonmartn
The Iowa OL looks smaller than what we are use to playing against. They are all south of 300 but are all in the 290's. They are planning on ball control so they will have to handle a bigger DL with great technique to do that. Their DL size looks similar to UL's. Again they will have to win out with quickness and technique because there is a big difference between us and them when we have the ball.

The Iowa OL looks smaller than what we are use to playing against. They are all south of 300 but are all in the 290's. They are planning on ball control so they will have to handle a bigger DL with great technique to do that. Their DL size looks similar to UL's. Again they will have to win out with quickness and technique because there is a big difference between us and them when we have the ball.
No line and their dominant RB sitting out gives them basically zero chance at ball control.

Great observation. No doubt, this is the smallest OL Iowa has had in many years. Played two freshmen often in the OL too all year.

The games are usually decided in the lines of scrimmage. Kentucky will likely push Iowa's OL all around while Iowa's D-Line will stand stronger for sure than our OL.

We were 6-0 to start the season and ranked #2 overall. Had 6 games left against 6 unranked opponents-- we were thinking possible college football playoff. Then we went 4-2 in those games-- losing at home against Purdue in a horrific performance and then getting waxed at Wisconsin.

That's very reminiscent of our season. We also started out 6-0 and pushed into the top 10, we then lost to #1 Georgia but played a pretty competitive game, then we had a game against Mississippi State like you had against Purdue turning the ball over several times and just looking really bad top to bottom, then we lost a squeaker to rival Tennessee.

In a nut shell, Kentucky's weakness is it's secondary, and lack of a consistent pass rush. The 2 big losses we had against MSU and UT featured opponents with outstanding quarterbacks, and very good receivers. So IMHO if Iowa is to win this game they will have to come up with some semblance of a passing game to go with the running game.

Thanks for your contributions to our site.

That's very reminiscent of our season. We also started out 6-0 and pushed into the top 10, we then lost to #1 Georgia but played a pretty competitive game, then we had a game against Mississippi State like you had against Purdue turning the ball over several times and just looking really bad top to bottom, then we lost a squeaker to rival Tennessee.

In a nut shell, Kentucky's weakness is it's secondary, and lack of a consistent pass rush. The 2 big losses we had against MSU and UT featured opponents with outstanding quarterbacks, and very good receivers. So IMHO if Iowa is to win this game they will have to come up with some semblance of a passing game to go with the running game.

Thanks for your contributions to our site.
Yeah, totally agree. Lines aside, great passing QB's is the best way to beat our defense because of what you said. Bully and Ox being out really hurt our pressure up front during that time also.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT