ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

That would be quite an undertaking. A mature orange tree is 12 to 15 feet tall with a spread of 10 or more feet. My grandfathers grove was about 100 acres. It would take a lot of plastic and a lot of propping up and would take forever to put up.

These cold snaps come in out of the blue and you don't have much time to prepare. Neighbors and friends had to pitch in to protect them. The most efficient way back in his time was to fire them up and make a lot of smoke (sumdge) as this offered the best protection.
All this talk about orange groves reminds me of a funny story.

Back in the late 1970s when I was in college I'd met a young woman on spring break in Ft. Lauderdale who lived in West Palm Beach. So a couple months later, me and a good friend from my home town who was as country as they come decided to drive down and visit her.

As we got into Florida we started seeing these huge billboards - always planted in Orange Groves - that had an image of a gun and the words "TWENTY YEARS TO LIFE." It was part of a big law and order campaign to stamp out violent crime by handgun.

After we passed about five of the signs my buddy, who'd been hitting the Jim Beam hard, says to me, "Dang, I was going to suggest we pull over and pilfer a few oranges, but I see they take that real serious down here."

So, your orange groves might have been saved from a couple Kentucky kids by a misunderstanding Sawnee.

I was thinking about Bev this morning, and how it is terrible to lose a younger sibling, but it is extra bad at this time of year. I have never understood why God allows bad things to happen to good people, but it's not for me to know. Maybe, someday, I will understand when I enter heaven. Until then, I just accept it as God's will and pray that the Holy Spirit will give comfort to those who need it. Praying for Bev, and her family at this difficult time.
I didn’t know about Bev’s loss. Praying for her and her family! My Dad was killed in an explosion at an ammunition plant in Iowa. I was only 3 and my brother was 8. I have no memory of him. It was very hard on my brother. Over the years I have come to the conclusion that we can’t leave Heaven out of the equation. Otherwise I have no answer as to why things happen the way they do.

I am not as religious as most; however, I lost my dad when I was in my 20's (he was 73 so it was not bad from that point of view, except he had me late in life, so it was bad for me). I lost my sister when she was 53. I lost my grandson when he was 9. None of those loses were designed my God in my view. Fate has a lot to do with it.

We have freedom to live our lives. If you happen to be at the place a large rock is going to land or a meteorite is going to hit the earth, that is fate and bad luck. I don't think that God chooses who is going to die or when they are going to die. God created our world and gave us big brains to use. Most of the rest is up to us. If you are at the wrong place at the wrong time that is just fate. Car wrecks are fate. Heart attacks are genes, eating habits and how you live your life. God does not determine if you die of a heart attack. My sister died of lung cancer. God did not kill her. She had the correct genes and she smoked like a steam engine.

Additionally, in my view, what is up to us is how we live our lives and decisions that we make decide if we go to heaven instead of hell. Then: that is where God comes in. If you choose to do wrong, do not accept Christ, you will cast your lot with those that lose. Plus remember that Christ forgave one of the thieves on the cross next to him. Accepting Christ and good works are important. It is just best not to wait until the end of our lives to make these choices. Make them early in life because you may not be put on the cross next to Jesus.

I am not as religious as most; however, I lost my dad when I was in my 20's (he was 73 so it was not bad from that point of view, except he had me late in life, so it was bad for me). I lost my sister when she was 53. I lost my grandson when he was 9. None of those loses were designed my God in my view. Fate has a lot to do with it.

We have freedom to live our lives. If you happen to be at the place a large rock is going to land or a meteorite is going to hit the earth, that is fate and bad luck. I don't think that God chooses who is going to die or when they are going to die. God created our world and gave us big brains to use. Most of the rest is up to us. If you are at the wrong place at the wrong time that is just fate. Car wrecks are fate. Heart attacks are genes, eating habits and how you live your life. God does not determine if you die of a heart attack. My sister died of lung cancer. God did not kill her. She had the correct genes and she smoked like a steam engine.

Additionally, in my view, what is up to us is how we live our lives and decisions that we make decide if we go to heaven instead of hell. Then: that is where God comes in. If you choose to do wrong, do not accept Christ, you will cast your lot with those that lose. Plus remember that Christ forgave one of the thieves on the cross next to him. Accepting Christ and good works are important. It is just best not to wait until the end of our lives to make these choices. Make them early in life because you may not be put on the cross next to Jesus.

Don't misunderstand my point of view. I didn't say that God was to blame for an early, senseless death. I meant that I sometimes didn't understand how God would let certain things happen, but, I do believe that he will sometimes intervene, either because he has plans that we do not understand, or he has answered prayer. I think he pretty much lets us live our lives, make our own decisions, and then he either welcomes us, upon death, because we have trusted him, and accepted Jesus as our savior, or we meet him at judgement.

Try same colors as National Defense Service Medal. Most service members from all branches qualify.

161215-F-YG475-540.JPG
Austin, thank you for sending me this picture. I set down and drew up a pattern, it ended up being 3"x8". I going to make a panel just to see what it will look like. After I get it done I will see if Mr. Bert will post a picture of it for me.

Austin, thank you for sending me this picture. I set down and drew up a pattern, it ended up being 3"x8". I going to make a panel just to see what it will look like. After I get it done I will see if Mr. Bert will post a picture of it for me.
You're welcome. Good deal. Look forward to seeing it.

The Ol' Babdist Preacher - Bert Higginbotha. Who knew?

Good morning D-League. I hope all is well with all y'all.

Slow days here - just working and taking walks and waiting for the kids to come in from Austin and Lexington for Christmas.

My son - our youngest - turns 21 today. There are lots of moments when it feels like you closae out a chapter in life. Certainly he's not been a child for a while, and has been living away from home for more than three years. But with his official adulthood, I guess it closes the book on my years raising children. As you fathers and mothers know, that's a job that never ends, but all my kids are certified adults now.

Keep on keeping on!

I am headed over to Cedar Key this afternoon to pick up about 25 lbs of Gulf Shrimp, fresh off of the boat. They are cleaned and ready for the freezer.

I will give you a tip if you want an excellent family run seafood restaurant with the freshest, best served meals that were swimming in the Gulf the night before. They have an unbelievable all you can eat platter for $13.95. Shrimp, oysters, crabs you name it.

I Don't like shrimp or oysters......

Ben, when I posted that I was told Stoops was looking at the NFL my "source" said the prime target was a young man I had never heard of, Liam Coen of the LA Rams. He is young and supposedly a brilliant offense mind. The Rams run a balanced attack and Stoops prefers that. I read where the LA Rams have the 4th best offense in the NFL.

Stoops is certainly taking what many feel may be a risk but I like the gamble. We have to establish a good passing game to be competitive in the SEC and this young man may be what the doctor ordered. If it turns out to be so it will be interesting to say the least.
When I heard the final four choices, he was the one I wanted. Getting someone from the Sean McVay coaching tree is a definitely a step in the right direction for the offense imo.

I respect that, but I can them raw.....

When we lived in Summerville South Carolina (Still own the house we built there.)we stayed on the ocean a lot. My wife and I harvested oysters, clams, vegetation of several types, fish, crabs, shrimped some, and just had a blast regularly. Never tired of the ocean. Look forward to when we can be that close to the ocean again.

Last edited:
Slow morning on the D....almost 8:30 and only the second post of the new day.
Snowy morning in my part of Ohio. Ground covered, cars moving slow, schools on delay (or closed), and it's still snowing. Peaceful morning even if the world is upside down and seemingly out of man's control.

Which leads to a pet peeve of mine (only for us Northern posters). Dad's generation walked to school...some many miles....no such thing as a 'snow day'. Me...walked when I was young, then took a bus or drove, but as I can recall school was only closed a few times due to snow. Usually a big snowstorm. Didn't have a day off school till we moved from city schools to further out and that was 4th grade. So first day of no school due to snow was probably 7th or 8th grade, or later Now.....snows 1/4 inch and schools are on 2 hour delay. Snow 2 inches and it's closed.
And we wonder why the country is the way it is.

Good morning from the Gulf Coast

Pine Island is reporting 59° with 15 mph winds and scattered clouds. There is some fog on the lake out back. It is burning off as the sun comes out. Our high will reach 74° by mid afternoon. Our humidity is 74% now but will hit 100% at 2:00 PM

We enjoyed a little drive over to Cedar Key yesterday. Cedar Key was the end of the line for the Florida Railroad. If you still wanted to head West you had to hop on a boat.

Trust all have a great day and our prayers continue for Bev and her family during this period of sorrow. May God bring peace to their souls is our prayer.

enhance

Good morning D League. First snow of the year in the forecast here. I'll welcome it if it happens. Still enough kid in me to enjoy the first snow of the year -- and we ain't going anywhere anyway.

Continued prayers for Bev's family.

Just another day working from home for me. I hope everyone is warm and safe and dry.

Good morning D League. First snow of the year in the forecast here. I'll welcome it if it happens. Still enough kid in me to enjoy the first snow of the year -- and we ain't going anywhere anyway.

Continued prayers for Bev's family.

Just another day working from home for me. I hope everyone is warm and safe and dry.

LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW

My hometown. I love it. Warts and all. Been living here 52 of my 60 years so I probably know the city as well as anybody.
Believe it or not, I've probably spent a total of 2-3 months in Louisville over the past 40 years. I've mainly hung around Hillview, Preston Hwy and Fern Valley Rd.

It's a nice city. I've had lots of fun there.

Morning D, nasty day here, but it could be worse I guess.

Woke up at 3:30 with Bev and her family on my mine, still praying for her and the D!!!

Old days of riding the bus! We grew up in the so called valley in our neighborhood so if it snowed we had to walk up one of the three hills around us, we got a few snow days, but they were few and far between. The city school (Central City HS) was a different story. My best friend growing up always said, if the principal made it to school we had school!!! Mrs. M went there, CCHS, all she had to do was walk straight across the street. We have a good laugh about it because, she drove to school one time while she was there! All she did was drive her car around to the back of the school and that was on her last day before she graduated!!!!

Put a Boston Butt in the oven at 5 this morning, so we are having BBQ tonight, then tomorrow taking some to our friend that has had shoulder surgery!

Went to the glass shop yesterday, it was 21 when I left, we have a small section fixed where we have a heater that we run while we are there, 26 degrees when I walked in there!!! The glass grinder was even frozen up, so I just got some glass and came back home!

Hope the D has a great day!!!

Believe it or not, I've probably spent a total of 2-3 months in Louisville over the past 40 years. I've mainly hung around Hillview, Preston Hwy and Fern Valley Rd.

It's a nice city. I've had lots of fun there.
I lived in Louisville from 1968-1976. Of the cities that I have lived in Louisville is number 1. Of course being a country boy, Smiths Grove is better because there is not one traffic light! :)

It is 39.6°F and we have light rain (.17"). It looks like the rain is going North of us to keep OhioColonel happy!

I will gladly do it. Hopefully I will get my badges today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT