ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

I respect that, but I can them raw.....
When we lived in Summerville South Carolina (Still own the house we built there.)we stayed on the ocean a lot. My wife and I harvested oysters, clams, vegetation of several types, fish, crabs, shrimped some, and just had a blast regularly. Never tired of the ocean. Look forward to when we can be that close to the ocean again.
I'm okay with raw oysters. Prefer fried or grilled. Last night's meal came from Catfish Parlor here in North Austin. Monster butterfly shrimp.

As far as catching seafood, crabbing is my favorite method followed by clam harvesting.

Coen was probably my last choice of the candidates. Only offensive coordinator experience was at Maine. Stoops talked about how Gran's oc experience was never up against SEC defenses. I guarantee that UC plays a lot tougher schedule than Maine. I hope this gamble pays off.
I agree it is a gamble but I guess every new hire is a gamble. Eddie Gram ran a stale offense and without a super star talent he had a hard time putting two touchdowns on the board. I screamed at the TV when he would get the ball with a minute or so in the half and run out the clock. An offense would be confident they could score before half time.

This young man would appear to be motivated, 35 years old, and I like that. I look at his time at Maine as a toddler learning how to walk. His experience with the Rams should qualify him as worthy of having a chance to show us what he can do. I also like that he runs a 2020 offense and has been involved in one of the best in the NFL. But like you said it is a gamble. I would imagine Beau Allen and Gatewood are excited and it should be a good competitive spring with one of them coming out on top. Both were going nowhere under Eddie Gran .

Today is National Signing day for our football program.

I'm okay with raw oysters. Prefer fried or grilled. Last night's meal came from Catfish Parlor here in North Austin. Monster butterfly shrimp.

As far as catching seafood, crabbing is my favorite method followed by clam harvesting.
Every city or town needs a Catfish Parlor.. I could live in that place.

Have you ever been scalloping. Where I live that is the big event. Well deep sea fishing is a big thing too but every one looks forward to July and scallop season. Hernando, Steinhatchee, Homosassa and Crystal River are the state's prime scallop grounds. Freshwater rivers formed by deep springs, flow into the Gulf and provide the right mix of salt and fresh water for the scallops to thrive.

They Gulf waters at this part of the coast are very shallow and scallops gather in the flats. A simple snorkel and mask will bring up a bag full. Also the water is crystal clear and you can spot them from your boat laying in the grass. The water is usually 3 to 4 feet deep and you can be a long way from shore. You will need a boat to get to them.

scalloping-trips-2.jpg

crystal-river-scalloping-trips-homosasassa-florida-scallop-charters-9.jpg

Have you ever been scalloping. Where I live that is the big event. Well deep sea fishing is a big thing too but every one looks forward to July and scallop season. Hernando, Steinhatchee, Homosassa and Crystal River are the state's prime scallop grounds. Freshwater rivers formed by deep springs, flow into the Gulf and provide the right mix of salt and fresh water for the scallops to thrive.

They Gulf waters at this part of the coast are very shallow and scallops gather in the flats. A simple snorkel and mask will bring up a bag full. Also the water is crystal clear and you can spot them from your boat laying in the grass. The water is usually 3 to 4 feet deep and you can be a long way from shore. You will need a boat to get to them.

scalloping-trips-2.jpg

Scalloping: No.

However, I've caught octopus using home-made fish nets. I've also snagged (picked up) conch that were as big as those found in Florida. Both along the Sinai coast.

Below is my First Sergeant (RIP) holding an octopus we caught in '82 near Nuweiba, Sinai, Egypt. Tastes great raw with soy sauce. Conch is the best, and when heated just enough to let go.

1926020_10202919922859654_1235791116_o.jpg

Slow morning on the D....almost 8:30 and only the second post of the new day.
Snowy morning in my part of Ohio. Ground covered, cars moving slow, schools on delay (or closed), and it's still snowing. Peaceful morning even if the world is upside down and seemingly out of man's control.

Which leads to a pet peeve of mine (only for us Northern posters). Dad's generation walked to school...some many miles....no such thing as a 'snow day'. Me...walked when I was young, then took a bus or drove, but as I can recall school was only closed a few times due to snow. Usually a big snowstorm. Didn't have a day off school till we moved from city schools to further out and that was 4th grade. So first day of no school due to snow was probably 7th or 8th grade, or later Now.....snows 1/4 inch and schools are on 2 hour delay. Snow 2 inches and it's closed.
And we wonder why the country is the way it is.

With all the virtual school, online, there will probably not be any snow days. In January, when Ky schools go back to in-person schooling, if it snows, they may not go in-person that day, but they will go virtual. Thinking about Bev and her family. Still praying for them. Tough anytime, but this time of year is especially bad.

However, I've caught octopus using home-made fish nets. I've also snagged (picked up) conch that were as big as those found in Florida. Both along the Sinai coast.

Below is my First Sergeant (RIP) holding an octopus we caught in '82 near Nuweiba, Sinai, Egypt. Tastes great raw with soy sauce. Conch is the best, and when heated just enough to let go.

I spent some time in the Virgin Islands and one thing they loved to serve in restaurants was conch salad. We have several restaurants around here that serve it. Conch salad is pretty simple to make

Marinate conch in a bowl with lemon or lime juice. . Add tomatoes, onions, green pepper, cucumber, seafood seasoning and seasoned salt; mix thoroughly. Add conch and a 1/4 cup lemon juice, tomato juice, and lime juice; mix well. Some serve it over a bed of lettuce. Others do not.

I had an uncle who was a proud conch. A conch is a native of Key West , FL and he claimed to be a resident of the Conch Republic although he lived in Tampa. The Conch Republic declared secession from the U.S. in 1982.

1200px-Flag_of_Key_West%2C_Florida.svg.png

Alas when you're landlocked in the North, two things you are deprived of are good BBQ joints and good seafood.
Fortunate, like many, to have been able to travel to a lot of places where the local food is not only top notch but also unique.

Can remember as a kid/young man in Ohio, seafood was almost non existent. At least now with a few national restaurant chains it's much better...but not as good as local restaurants along the coast or a place like New Orleans.

Also over the years with the improvements in refrigeration and quick freezing techniques, you can at least get seafood in local grocery stores just about anywhere. Then, you have to know how to cook it, which is a whole other matter.

I had a nice fresh shucked dozen on the half shell then a large, very large platter of fried shrimp and oysters last evening. Then we enjoyed a nice sunset before headed back to our home in the Swamp. (or Wildlife Preserve for the PC)

enhance

Sounds fantastic! I was an extremely picky eater as a kid. Drove my parents crazy. I didn't even like steak(yeah, figure that one out.) Well, those days are long gone..... Minus intestines and reproductive organs, I would try most anything! (no snakes either- i just couldn't do that.)

My best friend who I do stained glass with said one time, that he ate his first and his last octopus one time. He said the more he chewed on it the bigger it got!!!!!

scalloping-trips-2.jpg

They are my favored sea food. If I were given unlimited numbers, I don't actually know how many I could eat, especially when I was a young man.

Sounds fantastic! I was an extremely picky eater as a kid. Drove my parents crazy. I didn't even like steak(yeah, figure that one out.) Well, those days are long gone..... Minus intestines and reproductive organs, I would try most anything! (no snakes either- i just couldn't do that.)
Bluewest, you are starting to fit in. :cool:

It is good to have you on the D-League. You will slowly season and get even more eccentric!

We had a night out when we were at Fort Hood, went to Killeen one night to a restaurant that had seafood, all this one guy talked about was eating some scallops. They brought them out with some fries and again all he talked about was how good they were going to be. He put some ketchup on his fries and someone had someone had spiked the bottle with whisky, it went all over his plate! He told the waitress what happened and they brought him another plate. They went to take the other plate away, he told them just leave it there, ate all that plate too, just picked it out of the whisky ketchup!!

I tried rattlesnake once. Wasn't too bad, but I'm not sure I would eat it on a regular basis. However, I remember eating C rations, before they had the MRE's, and getting some that were dated from the Korean War era. (This was 1972) Ham and eggs congealed in that can were tough to eat. Sometimes I would have eaten the bark off a tree before some of the things that came out of those cans. Only the beans and franks were edible. Snake would have been a delicacy.

Here's ZZ Top shortly before they performed at the Jack Tar Hotel (Orange, Texas) for the Little Cypress-Mauriceville High School prom in 1971. Not exactly what one might imagine, eh?

EpV4XCJXcAA3UAA
Watched a documentary on them a few months ago. Couldn't believe the guys you see in these old pictures are the same guys. Maybe on Amazon or YouTube. Worth a watch if you like them. Think the drummer lives on a lake outside Austin?

Watched a documentary on them a few months ago. Couldn't believe the guys you see in these old pictures are the same guys. Maybe on Amazon or YouTube. Worth a watch if you like them. Think the drummer lives on a lake outside Austin?
It's on Netflix and it's a good documentary on them. It had a lot of interesting things about them.

Last I heard, drummer Frank Beard splits time between his ranch near Richmond, TX and house on Lake Travis near Austin.

I like their music.

Believe it or not, I've probably spent a total of 2-3 months in Louisville over the past 40 years. I've mainly hung around Hillview, Preston Hwy and Fern Valley Rd.

It's a nice city. I've had lots of fun there.

I knew the areas very well to include Maryville...

Oh, and may you all have a day to remember (For the good). Face each day happy to be alive and thankful that God numbers the hairs on your head. Oh how much does God love.... Imagine...

The first light snow here that is more a slush than a snow. Raining more than snowing...

scalloping-trips-2.jpg

My favorite meal! (Scallops) Just LOVE them...

Lee’s Famous Recipe the best. 🍺
Love Lee's!
That stuff'll kill you..
The Lee's around here are greasy. Last couple of times we've gotten carryout (been a few years), by the time we get it home the bottom of the box is so 'wet' from the grease that the box was falling apart. That was fried chicken.

Speaking of food...family tradition of ours...whenever it snows it's chili night. So, tonight was chili. Paula Deen's recipe for Texas Style Chile. But I'm sure that @AustinTXCat and @BBUK (when he lived there) have had better with the real Texas Chili.

I love liver, gizzards, etc. but I have to be careful eating organ meat. Gout. I haven't had a flair-up in at least 8-9 years and I really don't want another one.
Have gout problems myself but rarely eat organ meat. Never heard that before, but will keep it in mind. Hope all the D is doing good or at least better, haven’t checked in for awhile. Good people here.

The Lee's around here are greasy. Last couple of times we've gotten carryout (been a few years), by the time we get it home the bottom of the box is so 'wet' from the grease that the box was falling apart. That was fried chicken.

Speaking of food...family tradition of ours...whenever it snows it's chili night. So, tonight was chili. Paula Deen's recipe for Texas Style Chile. But I'm sure that @AustinTXCat and @BBUK (when he lived there) have had better with the real Texas Chili.
I never get anything from lee’s but the gizzards, and only about once a year, with their potato wedges. whenever i want fried chicken i usually get kroger’s which is always good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT